Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Long Walk to Somewhere ( Chapter 72 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ryuji reached out to touch Kasumi's hand. She turned her head. The boy drew back his hand.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. She shook her head.

"It's fine," she said. Ryuji's cheeks turned bright red as he looked away. The other girls were walking down the road behind them. The silence made things more awkward. Ryuji looked over at his crush. He pressed his lips together.

"I like you," he mumbled. Kasumi looked over at him.

"Did you say something?" she asked. The boy froze.

"Huh?" he asked.

"What are you talking about up there?" Haruko asked. Her brother's back stiffened at first before he tried to calm down.

"Nothing!" he lied. The boy looked away sheepishly. Kasumi tried not to laugh.

"What?" he asked. The woman said nothing. Ryuji's cheeks felt hot now.

"How long is this road again?" he mumbled to himself. No one had an answer. The boy looked down at his feet. He wanted so badly to disappear into the ground. A hand reached out for his. Ryuji glanced beside him. Kasumi had a little smile on her face.

"I like you too," she whispered. His heart jumped into his throat.

"In what way?" he asked. The woman smiled as she leaned down to his ear.

"I will tell you when all of this is over," she whispered. Ryuji's mind went blank.

"What are you guys talking about?" Hisako asked.

"Nothing," Kasumi said. "Nothing at all." She kept her head down so not to laugh. Haruko, Hisako, Kameko, and even Coni looked at each other confused. The boy looked away as shoved his hands into his pockets.

-----------

They weren't alone on the road.

"Keep up, damn it!" Sanya shouted.

"We're trying!" Anna wailed. Akimi said nothing as she walked behind. Her sister pulled her along. Sanya put his hands on hips.

"Come on now!" he shouted.

"You're going too fast!" Anna complained.

"No, you're going too slow," the boy said. His sisters caught up to him. Anna stopped to catch her breath.

"How long is this road anyway?" she asked. Sanya shrugged.

"I don't know," he said. "There is only one way to find out." He turned and looked down the road. Anna threw back her head and groaned.

"Seriously?!" she asked. "We have to keep walking? Can't we rest?"

"No," Sanya said. "We have to keep going." Akimi stood silent the whole time. She watched her siblings argue back and forth. Anna threw up her hands in the air.

"Fine!" she said. "We'll keep going."

"Thank you," Sanya said, bowing his head. The older girl rolled her eyes. Her brother held out his hands. Anna and Akimi took hold. The three siblings were walking down the road again. Of course, they aren't the only ones on the road either.

Chapter Seventy-Five: Long Walk to Somewhere: