Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ Shinigami Road ( Chapter 71 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This part of the journey is always the longest and most dangerous.

They call this Shinigami Road for several reasons. At first, it looks like a straight and narrow road. It appears to stretch on for miles. Only the first leg is the easy part. Then it starts to play with your senses. Several people looking for the Cove have disappeared because of that, you know? How can a straight and narrow road cause so much trouble?

Well, it goes something like this.

It's always dark around Shinigami Road. It could be broad daylight and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Not even the brightest lanterns can cut through the darkness. You are just going to have to keep moving on your own. It's not that easy. As you walk further down the road, a thin fog will roll in. It may look like nothing at first. But as you keep walking, it will start to get thicker. It becomes harder to breathe. But you must not stop. Turning back is not an option. You have to keep going.

No will see nothing for miles. That doesn't make it any safer. You have to keep going. The fog will get worse, but you can't stop. You are alone, but you will not feel like it. Do not look up. Do not look around. If you do, you have already fallen into the trap. It will start out quiet at first. Then will come the whispers. Try to close your eyes and block them out. However, this will only work for a short time. The whispers will get louder and won't stop.

Whispering, shouting, howling, laughing, wailing, keening, and screaming. It will not stop. They will keep louder and louder until your ears start bleeding. You will be pushed to run, but this will not be wise. You will end up running off the path in another direction. This will lead you to be further lost than when you started. Yes, there are further trails. They will all lead to your doom. Everyone ends up disappearing in the end. They end up lost and forgotten. Just another urban legend to add to Shinigami Road's reputation.

Now, these are just the start of this hellish path down to Shinigami Road. There are also hallucinations, confusing paths, dips, circles, curves, and other traps. Because them, most do not see the end of Shinigami Road alive. It doesn't help that the road is so long too. Many try, but they give up their lives in the process. But the lure of the Cove won't stop them from trying.

Will this time be any different?

Chapter Seventy-Four: Shinigami Road: