Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Cove ❯ On the Lonely Road ( Chapter 70 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The group walked through the dark woods. Kasumi kept her ears open around them. She stopped in her tracks and held up her hand.

"Wait," she said. The others turned and looked at her.

"What is it?" Ryuji asked. Kasumi took a closer listen.

"I can hear something," she said. Everyone took a listen. Kasumi narrowed her eyes.

"What is it?" Hisako asked. Coni perked up his ears and raced ahead.

"Coni?" Hisako asked. She ran after her dog.

"Hisako!" Haruko shouted as she ran after the girl. Everyone else ran after them. The dog ran faster out of the woods.

"Coni! Come back here! Coni! Coni!" his owner shouted. She ran faster to catch up with her dog. The girl managed to grab onto his leash.

"Gotcha!" Hisako shouted. The dog stopped and turned to her.

"Why did you run off like that?" she asked. The dog turned forward as if he was ready to jump out of her arms.

"Hm? What is it, boy?" she asked. Hisako walked closer for a look. Her eyes widened as her jaw dropped.

"Guys! Come look at this!" she shouted. The rest of the party ran to catch up with her. Hisako pointed ahead of them.

"Look!" she said. Everyone looked up. Shocked looks covered their faces.

"A road!" Haruko said.

"Where does it go?" Kameko asked.

"Only one way to find out," Ryuji said. He took a step forward and started walking.

"Ryuji-kun, wait!" Haruko shouted. She ran after her brother. Coni jumped out of Hisako's arms and ran after the siblings.

"Coni!" she yelled. The girl ran after him. Kasumi and Kameko ran after them. Kasumi noticed something of about the road.

"Why is it so quiet out here?" she asked herself. Kameko looked over her shoulder.

"What did you say?" she asked. Kasumi shook her head.

"Just be careful," she said. The younger girl slowed down.

"What's wrong?" she asked. Kasumi stood in place.

"I don't know," she admitted. Kameko narrowed her eyes. The only thing she could hear was the whispers in her body. She broke down shivering. Kasumi walked forward and put her hand on her shoulder.

"It's okay, just be careful," she said again. Kameko pressed her lips together and nodded. Kasumi drew back her hand.

"Very good," she said. She held out her hand.

"Come on," she said.

"Oh, right," Kameko said after a beat. She grabbed onto Kasumi's hand. The women ran over to catch up to the group.

However, they weren't the only ones on the lonely, silent road.

Chapter Seventy-Three: On the Lonely Road: