Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Kanota ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Demon Lord Kanota watched Rama walk up to him with cold eyes. He had heard about Rama's arrival through his watchers and had come to the edge of the forest to meet him. His cheek was scarred from a long ago battle and his hair, although quite short, was a distinguished gray. His hands rested on a large sword and he nodded his head slightly when Rama knelt before him. Rama was always one of the first to pay his respects to him at the Gathering, Kanota noted then moved slightly when Aerith knelt beside Rama.
 
“Get up Lord Rama and tell me what you are doing here,” Kanota said in a gruff voice. “Also tell me why you have Eketa's charge with you. Do not tell me Eketa finally gave in to you?”
 
“No of course not Lord Kanota. We are here on Eketa's behalf,” Rama said and Kanota frowned.
 
“What do you mean and why is there a woman with you? Have you finally come to your senses?”
 
“Is there somewhere where we can discuss this matter in private? It involves the cathedral.”
 
Kanota's eyes flashed momentarily with rage then glanced at the soldiers that stood behind him. He waved them off then motioned for Rama and Aerith to follow him. Aerith hesitated and Rama grabbed his hand and pulled him along. They walked until they reached a small pond and Kanota sat on a stone bench that had been placed there to provide some rest to weary travelers.
 
“Now Lord Kanota...” Rama began then stopped when Kanota held up a hand.
 
“Leave us for a moment Rama,” he said and Rama nodded his head.
 
“Of course.”
 
“You change every time I see you.”
 
“You only see me once a year at the Gathering, Lord Kanota,” Aerith replied.
 
“Do you know I have no other children? It turned out that my true wife was unable to bear a child,” Kanota commented then glanced at Aerith. “You may sit down.”
 
“I cannot sit beside someone with your high status. I am only a servant.”
 
“You are my child. Do you not think I have not longed to see you after all these years? Did you ever wonder what it would have been like to have me by your side? Every time I saw you at the Gathering I always wished I could embrace you but I knew why I couldn't. Eketa always watched me with pain in his eyes for he was the only one that knew the truth. He was the only one that knew of my crimes although I am quite sure now you've told Lord Rama. I don't suppose he can fault me for anything considering how ruthless Lord Aruyo was. The crimes he and his ancestors committed were numerous. The blood has yet to completely wash out of that hair.
 
“However in your case, I could not order your death. I was selfish in that regard and I refused to hand you so freely over to Oneru. I truly loved your mother and it cut me deeply when I heard about the carnage at Blood Hill. I was in mourning for many days afterward. But then I realized that fortune had been kind to you. I was thankful that Eketa had met you and had learned of my secret. At least he had been able to take you away so that you were spared death.”
 
“I...I don't need the past retold to me. I do not fault you for what you've done. If it hadn't been for your compassion, I certainly wouldn't be here right now. I just wish I could have been able to see you more. I didn't even know who you were at the Gathering until Lord Eketa pointed you out to me. I had never seen you before. All I had were the stories my mother told me about you but even that wasn't enough. I wanted to know you and I was never given that chance! Forgive me, Lord...No. Forgive me Father. I should not be so weak. I know it must shame you to see your own flesh and blood weeping like a baby but I cannot help it. I...cannot put these feelings into words.”
 
Aerith fell to his knees and began crying. All the emotions he had kept hidden came pouring out like a flood. Kanota knelt beside his son and placed an arm around him, his heart aching at the cries of the child he had not been allowed to see. He ran his fingers through Aerith's long hair until Aerith's cries had subsided.
 
“You are anything but weak, my son. Eketa can verify that. Perhaps I will be able to work something out with him once this crisis is over. Perhaps you can come for a visit and stay in the castle. I had not wanted to neglect you but if the nature of my crime ever got out, we would all be in danger even Lord Rama. That is why I have stayed so far from your side. I did not want to endanger you. I still do not wish to endanger you. That is why we are unable to speak so freely with each other but I want you to know this. You were never worth five hundred thousand sovereigns, dear Aerith. Your life is of greater value than anything else on earth. But Eketa insisted on paying me and I agreed to the price. It was the only way I could keep you alive and safe since I was unable to look after you myself. Now have you regained your composure enough so that Lord Rama may join us and tell me what is going on at the cathedral?” Kanota inquired and Aerith nodded his head. “Rama! You may return.”
 
Rama stepped back into the clearing as Aerith brushed himself off. He resisted the urge to hug Aerith and Kanota smiled. Some things would never change.
 
“Lord Rama if I ever find out that you've done anything disgraceful with my son...” Kanota said and Rama moved away from Aerith.
 
“I would never think of committing such an act!” Rama cried and Kanota folded his arms.
 
“Somehow I doubt your sincerity. Now tell me what has happened to Eketa.”
 
Rama told the tale to Kanota and Kanota stood with his arms folded. He glared at the mention of Seori and her involvement with the church then glanced at Aerith when Rama mentioned his capture. Aerith lowered his head in shame. It had been stupid of him to be captured by Phyana but he had not known what else to do. When Rama got up to the part of Aerith memorizing the nullification spell, Aerith's eyes grew wide when Kanota placed a hand on his shoulder.
 
“He'll have no trouble breaking the seal. I expect you want me to provide support?” Kanota inquired and Rama nodded his head.
 
“If you would. It would be slightly difficult for us to get inside the cathedral with less than twelve men,” Rama replied.
 
“How soon would you like to leave?”
 
“As much as I'm certain Aerith wants to see his dear master again, I think we need to allow for some rest. We have walked for the majority of the night after all.”
 
“Yes. Rest and a decent meal is necessary. You will be going to the cathedral after all. Rama, you may lead Aerith back to the castle. I will let the rest of your party know what is going on. Just watch your hands, Lord Rama.”
 
“Of course. Come on, dear Aerith.”
 
“I wonder why he wanted you to come with me,” Aerith commented as Rama placed his hand on Aerith's arm.
 
“Well you've never been to the castle, have you?” Rama inquired and Aerith shook his head.
 
“No but why did he make you come? He could have shown me the castle himself.”
 
“No one will think it odd if I show you around. If Kanota did, questions would be asked. No one questions my actions when it concerns you.”
 
“I wish they would.”
 
“Hey...”
 
“What?”
 
“I heard. It hurt so much to hear you crying. It felt as though my heart was being torn to shreds. I wanted to reach out to you when Kanota called me back in but I didn't want to upset him. I know how he feels about my little...oddities.”
 
“Most people feel the same way about it.”
 
“Don't start up again dear Aerith. Are you not as worried now that you know Kanota accepts you? That was eating at you quite a lot wasn't it?”
 
“It was. At least you could speak to your father. This was the first time I've spoken to mine.”
 
“My father was not an easy man to speak to. I quite honestly don't know how my mother did it. I guess it was quite a chore for her which is why she didn't want me to turn out like him. You know dear Aerith, we are not that different from one another.”
 
“Let go of me. You made a promise!” Aerith cried and Rama smiled.
 
“I know. I don't want to get on Kanota's bad side. There it is. What do you think?” Rama inquired and Aerith gazed up at the castle. It was huge. It was by far much larger than Eketa's castle. Demon soldiers saluted at Rama when he walked by and Rama returned the salute.
 
“It didn't look this big in the air.”
 
“That's because we were farther away. Should we get something to eat? There's a quaint little cafe down this street. They have some exquisite meat. Duck, boar, deer...”
 
“The duck they have in this region is different from the ones in Lord Eketa's realm, correct?”
 
“Perhaps not that much different. Or maybe we could have some goose. Oh! Or pheasant. That's a delicious bird but not common to my region so I don't eat it a lot. What do you say dear Aerith? We could wait for the others there. I'm sure the soldiers will tell Kanota which way we went.”
 
He grabbed Aerith's hand and pulled him down a side street. Aerith protested slightly then allowed himself to fall into step with Rama. He gazed at Rama for a moment, his long hair blowing in the wind then turned away. At times Rama seemed to be the big brother or sister, he wasn't sure which, that he never had. Rama directed Aerith to a small restaurant located on the corner of the street and forced him inside. One of the staff members opened her mouth to say something about Rama's appearance then noticed the look the manager gave her.
 
“It's been awhile Lord Rama. Have you been well?” the manager inquired and Rama nodded his head.
 
“Quite. Sit down dear Aerith. What's in season at the moment?” Rama asked as Aerith took a seat.
 
“Well let's see. We have some pheasant. If I remember correctly, you liked that the last time you were here. Is this a new servant? I usually see you with Ceon.”
 
“Not exactly. It's quite complicated to explain but Ceon should be arriving in town shortly.”
 
“Oh? Should I have the cook prepare a plate for him as well?”
 
“You'd better. Just keep it handy. He may not arrive until after we've left.”
 
“I see. Well would you like anything else? A salad perhaps?”
 
“Perhaps a small one. We could split it. Do you have any of those sweet rolls?” Rama inquired and the manager nodded his head.
 
“Yes of course we do. How many?” he asked as Rama sat across from Aerith.
 
“Just one. They are quite large and I wouldn't want to overeat. We'll split that as well. Oh. Some brandy, please.”
 
“Of course, Lord Rama.”
 
Rama watched the manager walk off then leaned back in his seat. Aerith looked at him for a moment then shook his head. He had never thought he'd see Rama sitting at a table half dressed. This was the man that had made a fuss about not having a comb for his hair in Hada. And yet there he was, sitting across from him in a restaurant with absolutely no shirt on.
 
“What's wrong dear Aerith?” Rama inquired and Aerith shook his head.
 
“Nothing,” Aerith replied. “I was just thinking of Hada and how you had made a big deal about wearing the same outfit to dinner. Yet now you're here and you're not even wearing a shirt.”
 
“Mine got ripped up.”
 
“You ripped it.”
 
“I was upset.”
 
“You didn't have to tear your shirt. You didn't accomplish anything by doing that.”
 
“Do you talk to Eketa like that?”
 
“He wouldn't do something foolish like that,” Aerith said and Rama glared at him. “But of course he doesn't have your temper.”
 
“Is that an attempt to make me feel better?” Rama inquired then glanced up when a young woman placed a bottle on the table. “Thank you. Our plates should be coming soon. The cook doesn't have to go to that much trouble to prepare raw meat and salad.”
 
“What will you do once all this is over?”
 
“Go home. We still have the Gathering to worry about. I have to prepare for that.”
 
“Can we visit you again?”
 
“What exactly is going through your mind, dear Aerith? You're getting that red hue on your face again. All right I'll be serious. If Eketa wishes to come then fine. I don't like having him around but as long as he brings you, I can handle it. Perhaps the next time you are in my realm I'll be able to convince him to loan you to me. Thank you. Take a bite dear Aerith and tell me what you think.”
 
“It's good but it tastes a little odd,” Aerith commented.
 
“That's how it's supposed to taste. I see you managed to find me, Ceon,” Rama said as Ceon walked up to the table. “Where are the others?”
 
“I left them at the inn. Here is your key my lord. I just stopped by to give it to you,” Ceon said and presented Rama with a key.
 
“Sit down and eat something. I'm sure you're hungry. The manager thought you'd be by so he has a plate all ready for you.”
 
“I don't want to interrupt anything.”
 
“What are you talking about? It's just a meal,” Aerith said then looked at Rama. “Isn't it?”
 
Rama placed a hand over his mouth and tried not to laugh then glanced at Ceon when he sat beside his master. He poured a bit of brandy into his glass and set it in front of Ceon.
 
“Have a drink,” he said then glanced at Aerith. “We can share.”
 
“I'm not drinking from any glass you've had your mouth on!”
 
“What's wrong, Ceon? Did Kanota say something to you?”
 
“No. Well he reminded me of something. It's....it's just this is how you get before a serious battle. You act like a small child, you drink perhaps a little too much, fall asleep and then...” Ceon's voice trailed off when Rama stood up. He reached for his master's arm but Rama brushed it away. He tossed a bag of sovereigns on the table then walked out of the restaurant. Aerith looked at Ceon for an explanation but Ceon shook his head.
 
“I should not have said anything. Forgive me for ruining your meal,” Ceon said and made a move to stand then stopped when Aerith grabbed his hand.
 
“What was all that about?” he asked and Ceon sighed
 
“I'm sure you don't have to worry about Lord Eketa getting like this. You were there the day the pirates came weren't you?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“He wasn't serious that time.”
 
“What do you mean? He looked pretty serious. I mean he burned that guy on the spot.”
 
“Well you know the stories of Lord Aruyo in battle correct?”
 
“Of course I do. You said that he used to be like that but changed when he saw me. Why are you so worried?” Aerith asked as Ceon picked at his meat.
 
“Because of his bloodline, the lust for battle still calls to him. We took it as a sign of destruction when he would be so carefree the day before a battle because the battlefield always looked like the aftermath of a terrible storm the next day. You see how lightly he takes his hair don't you?” Ceon inquired and Aerith shrugged.
 
“What does his hair have to do with any of this?”
 
“It ties him to his bloody past. The bloodshed of those who came before him. I think the real reason he is the way he is, is because he doesn't want anyone else to be tied to the history he's been tied to. That is why he shows no interest in women. He does not want a direct successor. He does not want another link to the chain his ancestors forged. Please, Aerith. Save your lord quickly and spare those people. The church may be guilty of numerous crimes but they do not deserve the pain my master is capable of unleashing. Lord Kanota painfully reminded me of that reality. That is why he sent you two ahead.”
 
“I see. So that's what Lord Kanota had meant about the blood not being fully washed out,” Aerith said then stood up. “He was speaking of Rama. Is there a way to talk him out of it?”
 
“I haven't been able to after all these years. We have learned to steer clear of him when he gets like this. We have found that it's the safest thing to do,” Ceon replied. “But perhaps you can do something. He sees you differently after all.”
 
“Where will he be now?”
 
“In his room most likely.”
 
“Which room is his?”
 
“He's got the only room at the top of the hotel. It's what he usually gets when he's here.”
 
“Which way is the hotel?”
 
“It's right before the castle. You can't miss it.”
 
Aerith ran out of the restaurant and down the street. He had not thought Rama of all demons could be capable of mass destruction but with all the stories about Lord Aruyo and his gory battles...That red hair he bore was his curse, the link to the lives of countless people taken on the battlefield. The bloodline he was descended from was one of the reasons why humans believed demons to be evil, unfeeling creatures. Aerith placed his hand on a brick wall and vaulted over it. Why had he not seen the danger before now? The jokes, the laughter, the passes... all those things were covering up a time bomb. If Rama was going to unleash his dark side at the cathedral then it would be like Blood Hill all over again. Countless people would die unless he did something to stop it. He jumped over the wall at the other side then stopped short when Kanota held out his hand.
 
“Father!” Aerith cried and Kanota glared at him.
 
“Hold your tongue!” Kanota snapped and Aerith lowered his head.
 
“Forgive me but Rama...!”
 
“It's already been taken care of.”
 
“What did you do?!”
 
“He's just been given a sedative. He cannot be faulted for the bloodline he was born into but I refuse to see that place turned into another site of mass destruction. Yes the church is to blame for the first time and what they are trying to do goes against every moral rule in existence but two wrongs do not make a right. If Rama listened to his calling, he would have been no better than Ildelia over a hundred and fifty years ago.”
 
“Why is he held in such high regard then?”
 
“Because he alone is trying to repent for all the crimes his ancestors committed.”
 
“He once told Seori that she had no right to blame herself for the misfortune of others that existed hundred of years ago. Isn't he doing the same thing?”
 
“Did you turn a blind eye to your past? I know you resented the trade with Eketa for many years. That was the greatest of my crimes. Imagine how Rama feels with the crimes of his past. His mother tried her hardest to erase all influence from that tainted lineage but the ties are too deep.”
 
“I never even knew...Did Lord Eketa know?”
 
“All the demon lords know. You would have known too, had you come into this world under honorable circumstances,” Kanota said then turned away. “Now go and get some rest. We shall leave in a few hours.”
 
“You're coming?!” Aerith asked and Kanota glanced at him.
 
“I told Rama I would provide support, didn't I? I'm going to keep my word. Now go.”
 
Aerith placed his hands into his pockets and sighed as he walked into the hotel. Rama of all demons... He never would have guessed he could be capable of such brutality. He glanced at the desk clerk when the clerk waved him over and walked up to the desk.
 
“Did you want something?” Aerith inquired and the clerk bowed slightly.
 
“Lord Kanota told me to give this key to you,” the clerk said and handed him a key.
 
“Thank you.”
 
“Your room is the first on the third floor.”
 
Aerith took the key then climbed the stairs. He reached the third floor and walked over to the first room on the right. He inserted the key into the lock then stepped inside. Aerith paused when he felt a breeze blowing through the window. Why was the window open? He then turned his attention to the bed and stopped short. There was someone there. Some sort of thief? A killer? Surely his father would not have given him an occupied room. Aerith slowly walked over to the bed and threw back the blankets. He gasped in shock when he saw who it was lying on the bed.
 
“L-lord Rama?! What are you doing here?!” he demanded as Rama painfully sat up. “You had the room above me. How did you get down here? How did you get into the room?”
 
“I melted the lock on the window,” Rama replied as he reached for Aerith's arm. “It wasn't easy. That pill your father forced me to take works quickly.”
 
“But how did you get down here?! You could have fallen!”
 
“The ledges on the outside are quite...large. I just dropped down from the one above. I very nearly... missed though but I was able to latch on at the last minute.”
 
“Why would you do something so reckless?! You should have just stayed in your room. Father only did what he did to protect you.”
 
“Aerith dear...”
 
“No don't talk. It was foolish of you to do. You could have been killed!”
 
“Please...” Rama gasped and Aerith sat beside him.
 
“What do you want?” Aerith asked then winced as Rama pulled on his hair.
 
“Take me with you.”
 
“What about your heritage? That's why Father was worried about you. He didn't want a repeat of Blood Hill. Ceon's been worried about you too. He told me about your past. He didn't want to see you like that again.”
 
“That is why I must go. I must go and pay for the crimes of my family. I won't hurt anyone, I swear. I...I would much rather take my own life than repeat the crimes of the past. Please, dear Aerith. Take me...”
 
He fell silent and Aerith pushed him onto the bed. He pulled the blanket over Rama's body then walked over to a chair and sat down. He had actually been looking forward to relaxing on a nice, soft bed but he was not willing to take a chance with Rama in the room. It didn't even matter that he had been sedated. He sighed as he put his foot up on a footstool. To willingly place his life on the line to make sure he wasn't forgotten...
 
“You really do amaze me,” Aerith commented. “Here I always thought you were just an annoyance Lord Eketa put up with. But you willingly went against the wishes of my father. Lord Kanota is one of the oldest demons in this world. He is one of the most respected demons of all time. That was one of the reasons why I could not stay in his castle. That is why he gets upset when I refer to him as Father in public. It's just that I've wanted to for so long that I forget. I was so worried that he wouldn't want me around him but now I know the truth. Lord Eketa will be so pleased when he finds out.”
 
“Dear Aerith...” Rama muttered and Aerith stood up.
 
“How can you still be awake?”
 
He walked over to the bed and sat beside Rama. Rama turned over on his side and muttered something else. Aerith waved a hand in front of Rama's face and shrugged. So he was sleeping. But would he have the heart to wake him up when the time came? Aerith cried out in surprise when Rama grabbed his arm and rolled over again. Aerith tried to pull out of Rama's grasp but found that he couldn't.
 
Please move, Aerith thought as he tried to pull out his hand again. I don't want to spend the next few hours like this.