Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Tzaqa ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lakel stared at his meager meal in disgust. Perhaps he wouldn't starve on these rations, but he wished they tasted better. He was being treated like a criminal and he resented it. He had done nothing wrong. Lakel stared out his tiny porthole and sighed. He did no know how long they had been on the water. To him, in his tiny cell, it felt like an eternity but he was certain that it had not even been a day since they had left Botia. He glanced up at the sound of the doorknob being turned then sighed in relief when Ellevin entered the room.
 
“Took me some time to get in here,” he commented as he closed the door behind him. “Sorry about that. That priest has got to be crazy shutting you up in here like a common criminal. Oh, I brought you some food. It's a sight better than what he's forcing you to eat.”
 
“Aren't you afraid you might get in trouble for coming in here?” Lakel inquired and Ellevin shrugged his shoulders.
 
“What can he do to me on water? Chaliel is the one lettin' him use the boat and he knows I've done nothing wrong. Chaliel is not the sort of man to turn on one of his own no matter how much the priest is givin' him. As I've said, we may be thieves, but we aren't crooks. We will protect one of our own no matter what the cost.”
 
“But Phyana might set a trap for you. I don't want Chaliel to go to Sutia with news of your death on account of me.”
 
“You worry too much lad. I'll be fine. Now is there anything else you might be needin'? A blanket perhaps? A light?”
 
“I can see quite well in the dark but it has been a little cold in here,” Lakel confessed and Ellevin reached into the bag he had used to store fish the night before. He pulled out a blanket and handed it to him. “This isn't the one from Sutia's cousin is it?”
 
“No of course not. She'd kill me if I had taken that. This is an extra one we had for cold nights. We can always purchase another one.”
 
“Thank you. I wish I had some money for it.”
 
“I didn't bring it for you to purchase it from me.”
 
“Still, I wish I could give you something for it.”
 
“I'm not asking for anything. Just take it and take care of that priest. I believe you're more than what you appear to be.”
 
“Thank your for your confidence. I just wish I could remember what I really was. It's like something is purposefully blocking my memory and I wish I knew why. I feel so incomplete.”
 
“Aye it must be hard for you but don't lose hope. I'm sure those who remember you are quite concerned about you and are going out of their way to find you.”
 
“Yes...I did meet someone that seems vaguely familiar to me. I have been thinking about him ever since I met him. At first I was not happy to run into him because he is a demon but he's been the only one that has seemed familiar to me in two years.”
 
“It doesn't matter what you really are. You're still you.”
 
“You're right,” Lakel said as he took a bite of the food Ellevin had brought for him. “No one can take that away. Thank you for the food. It's really good. I was getting tired of what he was bringing me. He wanted me to live but just barely. I guess he thought I'd be more manageable if I were half dead.”
 
“Don't give in to him. You will win. You will prove your strength,” Ellevin said then laid a hand on the door. “I'd better go. I've been here for too long. I'll try to stop by again before the boat goes to Nayare.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
Lakel watched Ellevin leave then wrapped the blanket around himself. He took the plate of food and carried it back to his bunk. As long as there was still hope, there was still a chance. People he barely knew believed in his ability even though he had no idea what his ability was. Danger and corruption were everywhere and although he may not be completely innocent, he knew that in the two years he had been in Ralonu he had done nothing wrong. He closed his eyes then thought about Aerith or at least try to think about Aerith. He did not have the sense of familiarity for Aerith yet but his name was the only name he could embrace. It was the only name that sparked a flicker of recognition in his soul. He hoped that Aerith, wherever he might be, was safe.
 
Meanwhile, Aerith glanced up from the book Rama had given him and Rama looked at him. Had he sensed something again? Rama winced when he heard a shrill whistle then watched Mihal and Seori walk up to the corral. Seori had her hair put back in a braid and a band made out of colorful beads held it in place. Rama was intrigued by the band for he had never seen anything like it before. Mihal turned Seori around so that the men could get the full effect then waited for one to say something.
 
“So what do you think?” she asked and Ceon stood up.
 
“You look beautiful,” he said and Seori blushed.
 
“Thank you,” she replied as Mihal walked up to Rama and ran her fingers through his hair.
 
“You should let me style your hair,” she commented. “All that beautiful red...I'm sure I can make you look quite dashing.”
 
“Perhaps some other time,” Rama replied as he moved her hand away. “We need to get on our way. Mihal the riders won't have any trouble bringing back the dragons Ceon and I will be using, will they?”
 
“Of course not. You know you really should come visit more often.”
 
“If situations arrive where I need your services, I will. You and I both know why the agreement must be upheld. I wouldn't want to endanger your village.”
 
“Oh I would never allow you to do that. You would be killed long before you could destroy our culture.”
 
“I'm fully aware of that. That is why I do not overstep my boundary. We will meet again Mihal, when the time comes,” Rama said then turned his attention to Aerith. “Come, dear Aerith. We must depart. Ceon, keep your steed steady and do not try anything fancy. I'm quite certain that would unnerve Miss Seori.”
 
“I won't my lord,” Ceon said as Rama helped Aerith up. “Just remember to hold tight.”
 
“I'll probably be too scared to move,” Seori said then glanced at Mihal when she removed her hat.
 
“I will put this in a satchel for you,” she commented as she picked up a small bag. “You could lose it. The dragons go quite fast and the crosswind might blow it off of you.”
 
“Thank you. You've done so much. I wish I could give something to you. Oh! You may keep the hat if you like.”
 
“I thought that hat was sacred to you,” Aerith said and Seori nodded her head.
 
“It does have a lot of meaning to me,” she confessed then looked at Mihal. “But I think it would be better here. One of the core beliefs in Ildelian Church is to not place too much affection on materialistic goods. If I kept it, then I would be selfish. Besides, I think it suits her.”
 
“I would refrain from mentioning the church in Kanota's realm. As I've said before, he holds quite a dislike for it. Climb on, dear Aerith.”
 
Aerith grabbed onto a strap and hoisted himself up onto the dragon. Rama followed and patted the dragon's head. The dragon snorted and Rama glanced at Aerith. He was sitting too far back. There was a chance he'd fall off one the dragon took to the skies.
 
“You're going to have to move closer,” Rama commented. “Otherwise you're going to fall. I don't want to have to tell Eketa that I lost you simply because you refused to move closer.”
 
“I just didn't want you to get any ideas,” Aerith replied and Rama looked seriously at him.
 
“I'm going to be flying a dragon. I won't have time to think about anything else. As I have mentioned, it's a lot more complicated than riding a horse.”
 
Aerith moved up behind Rama then cringed when the dragon snorted again. He was quite certain that he wouldn't like flying. Rama smiled at his fear then glanced at Ceon who was trying to get Seori to loosen her grip. This was definitely going to be an interesting flight. Rama moved the dragon forward and Aerith tightly shut his eyes as the dragon began beating its wings. The dragon rose into the air and Aerith latched onto Rama's coat out of terror.
 
“If you keep your eyes open you won't be as frightened,” Rama commented as the dragon took off.
 
“I'd rather not see,” Aerith replied and Rama smiled.
 
“Eketa will definitely find your first flight amusing. We're in the air now. Open your eyes and look down. The countryside looks quite beautiful in this perspective.”
 
“No!”
 
“They'll both become relaxed after awhile,” a rider commented and Rama glanced at him.
 
“Perhaps. I can understand why Miss Seori is so frightened but I didn't think a demon of your ranking would be so unnerved, dear Aerith,” Rama said. “But please try not to hold so tight. You're going to ruin the coat.”
 
“If we were meant to fly then we would have been born with wings,” Aerith said.
 
“But you will agree that this is the fastest way to Shitan's.”
 
“Perhaps it's the quickest but it's not the safest.”
 
“We don't have to worry about bandits in the sky.”
 
“Well what about storms?”
 
“The skies are clear,” the rider replied. “And you have nothing to worry about. The dragons fly smoothly and at high speeds. Also if there is any hostility below it cannot reach us way up here.”
 
“How far up are we?” Aerith inquired.
 
“Since this is your first flight, you'd be better off not knowing. Knowing the distance to the ground would upset you even more.”
 
“Just keep in one place, dear Aerith and everything will be fine. Look, I can already see the outline of Kanota's castle way off in the distance,” Rama said and Aerith reluctantly opened an eye. “It's the first time you've seen his castle, isn't it?”
 
“If I ever decide to fully open my eyes, yes,” Aerith replied and Rama glanced at Ceon.
 
“How is she doing, Ceon?”
 
“She's starting to loosen up a bit thanks be to Oneru,” Ceon replied. “I was afraid I was going to lose my circulation for a bit there.”
 
“Well you didn't say it would be scary!” Seori whimpered.
 
“Open your eyes. It's quite beautiful down there,” Rama commented then looked back at Aerith. “Are you feeling more confident yet?”
 
“A bit,” Aerith replied as he loosened his grip on Rama's coat. “Could we fly just a little lower?”
 
“No. The dragons fly best at this height,” a rider commented. “You are in no danger. Rama is just as good at flying these creatures as we are.”
 
“Thank you for the compliment,” Rama said. “The castle is a bit clearer now, dear Aerith. Can you see?”
 
“Yes. It looks enormous,” Aerith replied and Rama nodded his head.
 
“It is. Kanota made humans carry the rocks from the mountains to build his castle. I've been told it took him half a century to build it. I don't know how true the story is since the castle was built before my time.”
 
“Who was your father? I'm just curious.”
 
“My father? Demon Lord Aruyo.”
 
“The one that was known for goring his enemies? He was one of the bloodiest lords of all time. The stories I've heard of how he brutally tore apart members of his enemy's army...”
 
“Yes I know. My mother did not want me to turn out that way. I spent a bit of time in Mesun's domain when I was young. Perhaps that is why I turned out the way I did,” Rama said and Aerith looked shocked.
 
“Mesun is like you?” he inquired. “I never would have guessed.”
 
“I believe in his case it was a passing fancy. As I grew older, he lost interest in me. When I became about eleven, I stopped going there altogether and spent the rest of my time learning with my mother and the servants.”
 
“I will never look at Mesun the same way again. Did he abuse you at all?”
 
“Of course not. He just held a strong interest in me when I was a child. I don't see how that is abusive.”
 
“That's a terrible story!” Seori cried and Rama looked at her.
 
“Whatever do you mean?” he inquired.
 
“How could a man take advantage of a small child like that? That's unthinkable! To force a child to do things only married adults should do...”
 
“Asking for retribution now for whatever happened in the past does not erase the crime. All you can do is make sure the crime is never repeated. However you are exaggerating quite a lot, Miss Seori. It wasn't as bad as you think it was but I refuse to share the intimate details with you. It is not something the world should know.”
 
“That's why I was hesitant to tell you my own story,” Aerith said and Rama looked at him.
 
“Your story was different. Kanota is your own father. Mesun is just a demon with an odd fetish or two. He can't be faulted for them,” Rama said.
 
“I'm going to agree with Seori on this. Some things are just wrong regardless of the circumstances. You couldn't have fought back against a demon lord. Especially not when you were only a child.”
 
“I had no other choice. I had to do whatever he wished for the well-being of my mother. My father was near the boundary of his domain waging war with some revolutionaries so my mother would not be protected if Mesun tried anything and I knew it. That is why I did what I did. I think my mother eventually figured out something was going on because she had some words with my father when he returned from his war. I did not go to Mesun's realm that day or the next day but when I returned three days later, Mesun had a large gash in his arm. He refused to tell me how he acquired it but I believe it was my father's doing. Now that I think of it, it was shortly after that incident that I stopped going to his castle.”
 
“I'm surprised Aruyo didn't kill him. However, I did notice that Mesun always took steps to avoid you at the Gathering. I was always slightly curious about that.”
 
“I didn't know you noticed anything at the Gathering aside from me. You were always telling me to get lost.”
 
“That was because you were always trying to make a deal with Lord Eketa.”
 
“I see Shitan's house my lord,” Ceon commented and Rama turned his attention to the mountains that were ever growing closer.
 
“He'd better be home,” Rama commented. “I don't want to have to wait for him to return from some sort of trip.”
 
“Does he get a lot of visitors?” Seori inquired and Rama shrugged his shoulders.
 
“I really don't know,” he replied. “I do not normally travel this far. I am quite content with my domain. We should be able to land in about twenty minutes.”
 
“Is it really that close? It doesn't look that close.”
 
“It is close but it may not be able to land in twenty minutes,” a rider commented. “From what I can see, there doesn't appear to be any place suitable for landing.”
 
“There should be some sort of a cliff nearby,” Rama said. “Perhaps it's a little lower than Shitan's house,” Rama said.
 
“I see a ledge. It looks like it will be big enough. We'll be able to land there but it'll have to be one at a time. You'll also have to clear the area quickly so that the dragon may take off.”
 
“I want to be the first one to set foot on solid ground,” Aerith commented.
 
“It will be quite a walk up the mountain to Shitan's house but it doesn't look like it can be avoided. Still, we arrived here much faster than if we had traveled by horse,” Rama said.
 
“What will become of the horses we left with Mihal?” Seori asked.
 
“Most likely they will set them free or they will be free until human travelers come across them and make them their own.”
 
“Why can't they keep them?”
 
“What need do they have for horses when they have dragons?”
 
“I see your point. I hope this Shitan person will have something to drink. I'm thirsty.”
 
“I filled the canteen with water before we left. You can have some when we land,” Ceon said.
 
“Thank you. You are very thoughtful,” she said and Ceon shook his head.
 
“It's nothing. I've been taught to be this way.”
 
“By your parents?”
 
“Well I guess some of the credit should go to them but I was referring to Lord Rama. You see, he does ask quite a lot of me so I have learned to anticipate his requests.”
 
“Sounds a little like the connection I have with Lord Eketa,” Aerith commented then gasped in shock when the dragon began to descend. “We aren't anywhere near the ledge!”
 
“We will be soon. I have to start its descent now otherwise we'll miss the ledge. I don't think Mihal would ever forgive me if I rammed one of her beasts into a mountain,” Rama replied. “You really need to calm yourself, dear Aerith. I am not reckless.”
 
“What you say and what I'm seeing are two completely different things!”
 
“I haven't disappointed you so far, have I?”
 
“Well no...”
 
“Then I'm not going to disappoint you now. Miss Seori, there is no need to scream. Ceon will not put you in danger.”
 
“I wish she wouldn't yell so close to my ear,” Ceon commented as Seori tightly held onto his shirt. “We aren't even falling that fast.”
 
“Falling?!” Seori repeated in a panic-stricken voice.
 
“Perhaps I used the wrong word. Um...Well you know, we're in the process of landing. It's like Lord Rama said, we've got to start now otherwise we'll miss it. Rules change slightly when you're flying. It's not quite like stopping a horse.”
 
“Of course not. Horses are much smaller,” a rider commented. “I don't see how you can use such small creatures.”
 
“We use what we have,” Rama said. “Your people are the only ones that can handle dragons. I do not know why but that is how things are. We can ride, if we can pass the test but we cannot own dragons.”
 
“Yes, I'm aware of that. It's too bad you don't have a more functional form of transportation.”
 
“As I just said, we use what we have. In most cases a horse is quite functional. Hold on tight Aerith. We're going to land.”
 
Aerith tightly shut his eyes as the dragon swooped down onto the ledge. It skidded slightly then came to a stop. Aerith could feel his heart pounding in his ears then cringed when Rama slowly removed his coat. He slid off the back of the dragon then shook his head.
 
“You can open your eyes now. We're on solid ground. Just get off on the right side. You'll fall if you try getting off on the opposite side,” Rama said and Aerith reluctantly opened his eyes.
 
“I thought I would die,” Aerith gasped then glanced at Rama's coat. “I didn't realize I was holding on so tight. My claws went through the fabric.”
 
“Yes I know. They pieced through my shirt as well. It was a pain I could stand which is why I didn't say anything. Now get off. The others are waiting to land. I will catch you if you want to jump.”
 
“No I can get down normally.”
 
“Suit yourself.”
 
Aerith climbed down and handed the coat to Rama. Rama took it and pulled on Aerith's hand. They ran up the ledge to some rocks then watched the dragon take off. Rama shielded his eyes from the dust then looked at Aerith. Aerith had crouched behind the rocks and was gratefully running his hands through the soil. He was so glad to be on solid ground again.
 
“Here comes Ceon and Miss Seori,” Rama commented as he shielded his eyes again. Seori's screams were drowned out by the sound of the dragon's wings. Ceon stood up on the dragon's back then picked Seori up and jumped off. He ran over to where Rama and Aerith waited then let go of Seori. Seori tightly grabbed onto Aerith and began sobbing profusely. Rama eyes flashed with jealousy then looked at Ceon
 
“You were quite romantic in the way you carried her down,” Rama commented and Ceon shrugged his shoulders.
 
“I just thought it would be the quickest way. I mean there are still three dragons that still need to land,” Ceon said.
 
“I wish I could have carried you like that dear Aerith.”
 
“Do you really think I would have let you carry me like that? I was perfectly capable of getting down on my own,” Aerith said and Rama sighed.
 
“Yes, I'm fully aware of your strength. I just like the idea of carrying you down like that. It puts such a beautiful image in my head. I should have thought of that earlier damn it,” Rama replied then shielded his eyes again.
 
“How far are we going to have to walk up the mountain?” Seori cried and Ceon placed a hand over his ears.
 
“You don't have to yell. We can still hear,” he said and Seori looked at him.
 
“What? I can't hear you over the dragon!”
 
“I said you don't have to yell! Ahem. You didn't have to yell. I heard you. It's nightfall now so we should reach Shitan's home within the hour if all goes well, correct my lord?”
 
“Yes. It has been awhile so the roads may not be the way I remembered them. The mountains, after all, change over the years,” Rama replied. “Here comes another one. Only one left after this one. Shield your eyes, everyone.”
 
Seori and Aerith both knelt on the ground behind the protection of a large rock. Rama watched them in disgust then glanced at Ceon when he pulled his master out of harm's way. Ceon offered his apologies as Rama dusted himself off and Rama waved his apologies away.
 
“It is all right, Ceon. I know what you were trying to do. I just wish she wouldn't cling to him like that.”
 
“She's only frightened my lord. You are forgetting humans do not know of these things. Their world is much more limited than ours.”
 
“We share the same world.”
 
“Physically yes but we have a broader perspective of things. If she feels comforted by Aerith's presence, let her have it. He is, after all, not yours to command.”
 
“I could take that as insubordination.”
 
“I do not mean it that way and I think you know it my lord. The last dragon has landed. We can continue on our way,” Ceon commented as Rama stood up. He waved farewell to the riders then began walking up the ledge to where a trail had been cut into the mountain.
 
“Do you want your coat?” Aerith inquired and Rama shook his head.
 
“Let her wear it. The cross winds can get quite cold at this height,” he replied. “Watch your step. Ceon and the others, look after her. Aerith you should be able to take care of yourself now, correct?”
 
“Yes. I can fend for myself now.”
 
“Good. Let's press forward.”
 
He adjusted his ponytail then began walking forward. Aerith looked at Ceon for an explanation and Ceon smiled. His master was serious now. Soon he would become the warrior his men respected. Ceon had known it was coming but Aerith seemed to be shocked by the change in attitude. There were many other dimensions to his master's personality aside from his adoration of Aerith and he wished Aerith could make an effort and look past the obvious.
 
“What's happened to him?” Aerith asked and Ceon shook his head.
 
“Nothing. This is what he's like when he's serious. He is a seasoned warrior after all but why should he act like one in times of peace? He prefers what he has adopted as his regular personality but he is willing to abandon it at any notice. You only saw what was on the surface, Aerith. You refused to see the underlying qualities,” Ceon replied.
 
“I wasn't given a chance.”
 
“All you had to do was read between the lines. This personality has always been there. It's just been hidden until needed.”
 
“So then he has multiple personalities?” Seori inquired and Ceon glanced at her.
 
“No. Multiple personalities makes him sound like he's mentally unstable. He has one personality but it has many dimensions. It is impossible to describe my lord with just one word. It is impossible for you to describe yourself with just one word. You act differently depending on the situation. Lord Rama is no different,” Ceon replied. “Could you describe Lord Eketa with one word, Aerith?”
 
“I see the point you're trying to make. I was wrong. I just forget that there's so much more to him when he acts the way he does around me,” Aerith replied.
 
“Be careful. There are some loose rocks up here,” Rama said then glanced back at Aerith. “And no matter what I may appear to be on the outside, my feelings never change, dear Aerith.”
 
“Why did you have to say that just when I was developing some sort of respect for you?”
 
“Just concern yourself with your own safety and stop worrying about why I do things the way I do. You can't change me after all.”
 
“I don't want to change you!”
 
“I did say to be careful.”
 
“Aerith why don't you just concern yourself with things you can do something about? Like your master?” Ceon asked and Aerith paused.
 
“Right. Lord Rama is your problem, not mine,” Aerith said then shrank back when Rama set a bush on fire. Redheads and their tempers, he reminded himself. Don't push him. He has seen plenty of bloodshed in the past.
 
“Hold it. Someone's coming,” Rama said then shut his eyes. He then opened them and took a few cautious steps forward. An old man with a large staff came around the corner and looked at Rama for a moment. He then threw his arms around Rama and patted his back.
 
“Ah Lord Rama! It has been awhile, hasn't it? I knew something was up when I saw the dragons circling in the sky. Come and tell me what brings you here. I'm glad we met halfway. I'm not as young as I used to be,” the old man said then looked at Aerith. “You bring a striking resemblance to Kanota. Are you a distant relative?”
 
“We will explain all at your house, Shitan. I hope you have plenty to drink. Our female traveler is quite thirsty. She is not used to such conditions.”
 
“A female with you Lord Rama? And a human yet. Oh what a story this must be! It also must be something of grave importance to have brought you this far out. Are you on your way to Kanota's castle?”
 
“Yes but first I have some questions to ask you about the Maestro and the Ildelian Church.”
 
“It is serious then.”
 
“It has to do with Eketa,” Rama said and Shitan raised an eyebrow.
 
“Oh? I find it extremely odd that you're going out of your way to do something for Eketa,” he said and Rama sighed.
 
“I know but it will all make sense once I relate the story.”
 
“Well we're almost there. I really want to know about the young lady you have traveling with you. She appears to be wearing a dress of the church.”
 
“She is,” Ceon said and Shitan looked at Rama.
 
“And you're going to Lord Kanota's castle with her like that?” he inquired.
 
“They are the only clothes she has,” Rama replied.
 
“You're taking a big risk. Ah, here we are. Come in and make yourselves comfortable. I don't get many visitors so there may be a slight shortage of chairs.”
 
“I'll stand.”
 
“Are you sure, my lord?” Ceon inquired and Rama nodded his head.
 
“I'm sure. You can sit down. I'll be fine. Take a seat Aerith,” Rama said and Aerith folded his arms.
 
“You don't need to order me,” he said and Rama glanced away from him.
 
“It was not an order. Now Shitan, may I begin? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the situation as soon as possible.”
 
“By all means start. I hope everyone is comfortable.”
 
“They are.”
 
Rama spent the next fifteen minutes telling Shitan of their journey. He briefly explained Aerith's relation to Kanota and stressed the importance of Shitan's knowledge of the church and holy magic. Shitan listened to everything with his eyes half closed and for a moment Aerith believed that he had fallen asleep. But with as quickly as he moved once Rama had finished his tale, Aerith knew that the old demon had been listening intently to every word and forming a solution the entire time.
 
“There is indeed a way to control people,” Shitan said as he used his staff to help him stand. “It involves weakening a person's aura to the point a binding seal can be placed upon the victim. The church can then identify the seal later on and invoke the puppet spell. I don't know what use it is of the church but I can guess it has something to do with their desire to exterminate us.”
 
“Then all this was planned,” Rama said as Aerith stepped outside. “Excuse me Shitan.”
 
He stepped outside and laid a hand on Aerith's shoulder. Aerith tried to keep his composure as he thought about his master. That was how the clerics had managed to get through Beyesh without his master's knowledge. They had probably orchestrated the battle to get Aerith away from his master then released the attack that his master barely survived. The attack had not been deadly but it had meant to look deadly. That way the seal could be cast without anyone suspecting a thing. The reality of it all enraged him.
 
“Are you all right Aerith dear?” Rama inquired as he ran his fingers through Aerith's hair.
 
“This had been planned. That's why our watchers didn't know it was happening. I wonder how long the Maestro had this planned. I swear if he does anything to hurt Lord Eketa...” Aerith said as he clenched his hands into fists.
 
“Let's go back inside. Shitan may have some suggestions for us. Now you must remember not to lose your composure when we get to Blood Hill. You cannot let your emotions blind you.”
 
“I know but I feel violated. It really upsets me.”
 
“I completely understand dear Aerith. Now please come back inside so we can come up with a plan.”
 
Rama ran his hands over Aerith's shoulders then allowed Aerith to pull out of his grasp. He followed Aerith back inside then glanced at Shitan. Shitan stood up and walked over to a a table. He opened a book and ran his fingers over the page.
 
“I know it's in here somewhere. Ah here we are,” Shitan said and Rama looked interested.
 
“What is it?” he asked.
 
“A spell. Come and take a look. A demon lord like yourself should have no problem with it.”
 
Rama walked over to his desk and looked at the book. He read the spell then shook his head. The spell was not in his area of expertise. He was unable to perform it.
 
“Aerith dear why don't you look at this spell? After all, you've got the qualifications of a demon lord,” Rama said and Shitan looked slightly confused.
 
“But how could a servant...?” he began to ask and Rama smiled.
 
“Take a good look at him. You said earlier he looked like a distant relative. Look again and see the connection.”
 
Shitan squinted then dropped his staff in shock. Seori picked it up and handed it to him. Shitan nodded his head in thanks then glanced at Aerith a second time. Was it possible? Aerith glanced at Rama when he took his hand and pointed to the spell Shitan had mentioned.
 
“It looks like a nullification spell,” Rama commented. “Do you think you could do it? It's high level magic but it appears to be the only way to break the binding seal placed on Eketa. We've got to use it before the puppet spell is performed otherwise we'll be in danger.”
 
“This is a spell worthy of a demon lord. I couldn't possibly do this,” Aerith said and Rama grabbed his collar.
 
“Listen. You have his blood flowing through your veins. Do not forget that. You would have been next in line if circumstances had been different. Besides, you are the only one that can release the seal on Eketa. I cannot do it and you are the one that swore your life to Eketa.”
 
“It will take me some time to memorize the spell,” Aerith said and Rama drew away from him.
 
“Then we'll wait outside for you dear Aerith. Ceon and I should probably discuss what route would be best to take to Kanota's castle,” Rama said then walked away from Aerith. He glanced at Ceon and Ceon stood up. He followed his master out of the house then hesitantly placed a hand on Rama's shoulder.
 
“You could have performed that spell, correct my lord?” Ceon inquired and Rama shook his head.
 
“Not at that magnitude. I, like my father before me, specialize in fire. If it were a fire spell then there would have been no problem. I selected dear Aerith because I'm hoping that his strength lies on the same path as his father's.”
 
“You mean...?”
 
“Kanota. Now which way do you think we should go once we leave here?”
 
“Well there aren't many road choices. The most direct way would be to take the road that leads through the forest. We may run into some of his troops there if we're lucky and then they could escort us to the castle.”
 
“I wonder how Kanota will take it, seeing dear Aerith face to face again.”
 
“We've got to do something about Miss Seori's dress, my lord.”
 
“Yes we will. What do you suggest?” Rama inquired and Ceon frowned.
 
“Perhaps she could wear Aerith's robe?” he suggested and Rama folded his arms.
 
“I wouldn't want her to wear something that is so close to dear Aerith's heart but that may be our only option considering our limited resources. I hope he's receptive to the idea.”
 
“My lord what will you do when Lord Eketa regains his powers? You know both he and Aerith will travel back to Osvim. You will be alone again.”
 
“I will patiently wait. That is what I will do. One of these days Eketa is bound to grow tired of dear Aerith and that will be my opportunity to take him as my own.”
 
“That day may never come my lord.”
 
“I will wait. Are you worried about something, Miss Seori?”
 
“What will that demon lord do to me? You said he doesn't like the Ildelian Church. He'll be able to see by my clothes that I am a member,” Seori replied as she walked up to them.
 
“I will ask Aerith if you can wear his traveling robe. That will cover up the dress,” Rama replied.
 
“However Lord Kanota is bound to ask questions. Especially with your reputation my lord,” Ceon said and Rama nodded his head.
 
“Yes I know. We will tell him the story but I want her to survive so that we are able to relate the story. You know that if we ran into part of his army they would not listen to my explanation of her being with us. They'd take her prisoner. In his own domain his jurisdiction overrides my own.”
 
“That wasn't exactly the reputation I was thinking of my lord.”
 
“I know what you were thinking Ceon. In that respect Kanota may be more intrigued by the story simply for the fact that I have brought a woman with me. I just hope that he doesn't become filled with anger for his own crimes when he sees dear Aerith again. Aerith is quite worried about that.”
 
“Why would the demon lord be upset with Aerith? What has Aerith done?” Seori asked and Rama sighed.
 
“He exists for one thing but please do not ask for more details. I have made a vow to dear Aerith not to repeat what he told me in confidence and I cannot break that. If I did, he would lose all respect for me and would refuse to come into my employ when the time came,” Rama replied.
 
“I have already guessed the circumstances surrounding young Aerith,” Shitan said as he walked up to the group. “He is aware of the danger he's putting himself in, is he not?”
 
“He is but he is willing to do anything for Eketa even at the cost of his own life. He has been nervous about being reunited with Kanota but he knows that we must go. We cannot get into the cathedral without Kanota's assistance. Surely Kanota is willing to overlook his crime if it means the preservation of his own species.”
 
“Lord Kanota is a demon of reason but it is possible that he may treat Aerith as something less than a servant. After all if Lord Kanota had upheld the law, Aerith would not exist.”
 
“I know and for that alone, I must give my humblest thanks to Lord Kanota when I see him for without dear Aerith, I would not have known what it is like to care for someone.”
 
“Do not appear foolish in front of Lord Kanota, Lord Rama otherwise he may refuse to help you,” Shitan said and Rama nodded his head.
 
“I will not let my emotions blind me. I for one do not want to die at the hands of the Maestro,” Rama said then glanced at Aerith when he stepped out of the house. “Have you memorized it already?”
 
“Yes but I'm still not sure if I can do it,” Aerith replied then cried out slightly in shock when Rama embraced him.
 
“You can do it. You're the only one that can. Now once you give Miss Seori your robe, we can be on out way.”
 
“Give her my robe?! What are you talking about? And please let go of me.”
 
“All right. I don't want you to give the robe to her permanently but she's got to have something to wear that will cover up her dress. Kanota is sure to jump to conclusions otherwise.”
 
“I see. Well then...”
 
Aerith took off his robe and draped it over Seori's shoulders. He glared at Rama when he whistled slightly at the suit then turned away. Seori slowly put the robe on, awed at the immense history that lay between the threads of the robe.
 
“I bet Kanota would like to see you this way,” Rama commented as Aerith folded his arms.
 
“He might get the impression that I'm like you. That would be a fate worse than anything,” Aerith replied and Rama began walking for the mountain trail. Ceon glared at Aerith for a moment then ran after his master along with the other demons Rama had brought along.
 
“I'm certain he didn't mean it that way, my lord,” Ceon said as he fell in step with his master.
 
“It doesn't matter how he meant it. It was how it was said,” Rama replied then ripped his shirt. “I'll show him that I'm not some sort of weakling.”
 
“He already knows that, my lord. Perhaps he only said it because he's nervous about Kanota.”
 
“Let's just get started. He'll catch up with us.”
 
“Is it wise for you to destroy your shirt like that?”
 
“My abilities do not come from what I wear.”
 
“I know that my lord but it is night and the mountain breezes are quite cold...”
 
“I have survived worse conditions in the field. I can handle this,” Rama replied.
 
“I'm just concerned for your well-being, my lord,” Ceon said and Rama raised a hand.
 
“I'll be fine. Why don't you take the others and go back and keep Miss Seori company? She can't walk as quickly as the rest of us so she'll slow us down. We should have an advance scout anyway. Just in case we run into Kanota's men.”
 
Ceon reluctantly allowed his master to go on ahead unsupervised. He folded his arms and waited for Aerith and Seori to come down the mountain trail then looked disapprovingly at Aerith when he arrived. The other demons fell in step behind Seori and she glanced around.
 
“Where is Rama?” she inquired and Ceon pointed to a figure moving quickly down the mountain trail. “Why aren't you with him?”
 
“We were ordered to stand aside,” Ceon replied. “And it is your fault Aerith.”
 
“What did I do?” Aerith asked and Ceon folded his arms.
 
“You insulted him.”
 
“I'm in enough trouble with Lord Kanota for existing. I don't want more trouble because of your lord's personality.”
 
“I know you are worried about Lord Eketa but please do not take it out on our master. He has done nothing. He is, after all, the only demon lord that would have come to your assistance back in Ralonu. He is the only one that would have done this journey with you. No one else would have have done it. If it had been anyone else in this situation, Lord Rama would not have left his castle to help.”
 
“Yes I know. I am grateful and all but why can't he act more like a lord instead of some sort of child?” Aerith inquired and Ceon sighed.
 
“Why do you think he ordered us to stay with you? Aerith, there are some things about our master you do not know. When I first met him, he resembled Lord Aruyo in attitude. He was cold and unfeeling and it wasn't until your first appearance at the Gathering that his personality changed. Oh he's always been the way you know him but we seldom saw his carefree side. For the first half century I worked underneath him he kept to himself studying and occasionally venturing out to the western portion of his realm where there happened to be a lot of unrest. He would settle the fights but it wasn't quite the way he settles them now. He has a life now due to your existence. He has a freedom that eluded him before. Do not make him return to the state he was in over two centuries ago. That was when he acted like a true demon lord and everyone resented him. Now he is one of the most respected lords of his time,” Ceon said then watched smoke rise into the sky.
 
“Is there something going on down there?” Seori inquired and Ceon shook his head.
 
“No. That's just Lord Rama. He's probably just blowing off some steam. He took your words to heart, Aerith. I think you should speak with him before you gain an audience with Kanota,” Ceon said and Aerith sighed.
 
“All right. I know we're still going to need him once we reach Blood Hill. I haven't been to that damned spot in so long. I don't know how I'll be able to handle it. Walking on the ground where so many people had died...People I had known! People I had grown up around...” Aerith said then quickened his pace. He did not want to think about the horrors of Blood Hill. Even though the incident had happened over a hundred and fifty years ago, he could still feel the chill he felt when he had been informed of the news. He and Lord Eketa had been out surveying the land for possible revolts and he remembered that it had been one of his father's men that had presented them with the news. Lord Eketa had been the only one that had offered him solace during that time. But of course, Lord Eketa was the only one left alive aside from his father that had ever known of his mother. Lord Eketa knew how much pain Aerith had been in at that time. His mother was all he had known. He had never formally met his father and now that he was on his way to see Kanota, he felt terrified. He was going to meet the man responsible for everything. His life, his home, his memories...
 
“You left Ceon and the others to take care of her?” Rama inquired and Aerith stopped in shock. Rama knelt by a small mountain stream and was currently rinsing his long hair in the water. Aerith slowly walked towards him and sat on a fallen tree. He stared at the grass for a moment then glanced up when Rama sat beside him. “You were thinking about him, weren't you?”
 
“Which him?” Aerith asked as he watched water drip down Rama's bare chest.
 
“Your father. You're nervous about meeting him.”
 
“Why wouldn't I be nervous? He's responsible for my existence. He's responsible for my position. If he had not made that bargain with Lord Eketa...”
 
“I know. You've already told me. At least your father acted more on logic than his emotions. Well, perhaps in your case, he acted more on his emotions. If he had acted on logic and law, we would not be having this conversation. Dear Aerith, I apologize for reacting the way I did. I understand what you're going through in a way. I know I can be unbearable but my men prefer me this way. They do not want me to be like I was over a century ago. I resembled my father during those days although I am ashamed to admit it.”
 
“If you hadn't told me, I never would have guessed that you were related to Lord Aruyo.”
 
“It isn't something I like to make known. Just as you do not want the world to know about your relation to Lord Kanota, I do not wish to be tied to my father and the list of crimes he committed. But at least your heritage is not apparent. Mine follows me constantly even though perhaps the only thing I'm guilty of is falling for another lord's most trusted servant. That cannot be considered a crime if I restrain my desires.”
 
“Is all well my lord?” Ceon inquired then glanced at Seori who was gasping for breath. “We were quite worried for Aerith when he took off like that.”
 
“I was thinking about the past. I'm sorry,” Aerith said as Seori sat down in the grass.
 
“Fill the canteen, Ceon and let her have a drink,” Rama said then walked back to the road.
 
“Should you be walking at night with your hair wet my lord?” Ceon asked and Rama smiled.
 
“I'm going to dry it. Why do you think I moved off the grass? I don't want to inadvertently burn the countryside.”
 
Seori watched as Rama slammed his hand onto the ground then watched as a spiral of flame engulfed him. She stood up in shock and made a move to assist him but Ceon held her back.
 
“It's all right,” he said. “Lord Rama is merely drying his hair.”
 
“But won't the rest of him catch on fire?”
 
“No. That magic is his own. Why would it harm him? It doesn't make sense, does it? Even clerics have a sort of immunity to their holy magic. That is why you cannot attack them with holy magic. It doesn't affect them. If Lord Rama was attacked with fire magic, it would not hurt him because it is his specialty. If he was attacked with water magic, then that would be effective because...”
 
“Because water can put out fire right?”
 
“Exactly.”
 
“So it's sort of like nature then.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Your magic. It's sort of like nature.”
 
“Not quite,” Rama said as he shook his head. “I wonder if I should put it back? No, I guess it's futile to look formal when I am without a shirt.”
 
“You chose to rip it, my lord,” Ceon said and Rama glanced at him.
 
“I was upset. But back to what you were saying, Miss Seori. We are not quite like nature because there are two other elements we deal with. Holy and dark. While they are apparent in nature, the holy and dark elements are subtle. We represent the constant struggle between holy and dark. Sometimes holy is referred to as light but do not get the two elements confused for they are separate,” Rama said and Seori blinked her eyes.
 
“I believe you've already confused her my lord.”
 
“Then you try to explain it better.”
 
“No...I think I get it. Your base power is dark but you are able to control other elements. Is that right?” Seori inquired and Rama nodded his head.
 
“Put most simplistically, yes. Now have you relaxed enough? I would normally not wish to travel at night but we are a lot safer now that we are near Kanota's realm and we must reach the castle as soon as possible. There is still a ways to go before we reach what you know as Nayare,” Rama said.
 
“I think I'm fine now. Thank you.”
 
“Then let's go.”