Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Camp ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Aerith glanced up when Rama sat beside him. He moved away slightly and Rama smiled. He was still nervous. Rama lay down on the grass and gazed up at the sky. Aerith waited for him to say something as he idly scratched the ground with a stick.
 
“You've been quite removed tonight, dear Aerith. Is something the matter?” he inquired and Aerith sighed.
 
“I felt something tonight,” Aerith replied and Rama looked interested. “It was far away so I couldn't be sure. I think he tried to reach out to me last night. I heard my name but there was no one around.”
 
“Perhaps he has started to figure some things out. I wonder why I couldn't sense anything. I am a lord after all.”
 
“I suppose it's because you aren't in tune with him.”
 
“In tune? Do you mean like a song?”
 
“I guess. Sometimes at home I would bring him something even before he asked for it. We understood each other and there was no need for communication.”
 
“Well you do need a bit of communication in the boudoir. Especially if you want pleasure.”
 
“Look the rest of us aren't like you!”
 
“I wasn't directly referring to you, now was I? Although it is quite amusing to see how embarrassed you get at the thought. However I will be serious now. We have made good time on this journey but we need to go faster. One of our options would be to send Ceon and the others home but that would lower our numbers if we came up against a bandit horde or a bunch of clerics. The other option would be to fly.”
 
“Are you talking about dragons? Do you know how much that would cost? That would cost a fortune. You know dragon riders refuse to rent out their steeds to inexperienced people.”
 
“You've never had to ride a dragon?” Rama inquired and Aerith shook his head.
 
“No. Have you?” Aerith asked and Rama folded his arms.
 
“Yes. Well then you can ride with me dear Aerith and we can save the cost of two dragon riders.”
 
“Couldn't someone else ride with you?”
 
“I could show you how to fly one. That bit of knowledge wouldn't hurt you.”
 
“But I would have to sit close to you.”
 
“And what is the point you're trying so hard to evade dear Aerith?” Rama inquired and Aerith sighed. “I did tell you I wouldn't do anything to you, didn't I? You must show some faith in me.”
 
“I just find it hard to do. I mean you're the only one I know that's like this,” Aerith replied as he stood up.
 
“I am not alone though. There are other demon lords out there that share the same feelings as me although I am quite sure their reasons differ greatly from my own. But why don't you get some sleep? I can keep watch.”
 
“Only if you want to.”
 
“I'm awake now. Go on. The night is quiet. I'll probably just end up watching stars.”
 
“Good night then Lord Rama.”
 
“Sleep well dear Aerith,” Rama said then closed his eyes for a moment. “You couldn't sleep either?”
 
“I thought you might want some company,” Ceon replied as he sat beside his lord. “The trip is going slow.”
 
“I know. Do you remember where the dragon corral is in this region?”
 
“You want to go by dragon?”
 
“It would be faster.”
 
“True but it's extremely expensive. Especially if we have to hire the riders as well.”
 
“There is still a possibility that Phyana may have taken the water route. If he were desperate enough, he might be inclined to try anything. I would not put anything past someone who lied to my face about dear Aerith.”
 
“Yes I can see the urgency, but is there another reason you want to use them?”
 
“The demon on the mountain, Shitan. It is imperative we get his knowledge,” Rama replied as he formed a small ball of fire in his hand. “I've been thinking a lot about Eketa's predicament. If Eketa was hit by a holy seal at the last minute then that could be why he has amnesia. If that is true then it is probable that this situation did not happen by accident. The Maestro could have been planning this all along. It's just because Aerith showed up unexpectedly in Ralonu that things started to go faster. The only reason I can think of the Maestro wanting Eketa's powers sealed would be to get the location of our meeting place for the Gathering. He's sure to know about it and if he could launch a strong enough attack, the church could destroy us all.”
 
“But how could the Maestro overpower all the demon lords?” Ceon inquired and Rama frowned.
 
“What if there was a way he could channel Eketa's powers into a weapon?”
 
“Is that possible?”
 
“The church has been trying to destroy us all for centuries. They might have a chance this time. I don't know. I haven't been able to observe their operations so I'm just guessing right now. We need to convince Kanota of the gravity of the situation at all costs. We will definitely need his assistance in this matter.”
 
“Lord Rama, why do you keep after Aerith so? I mean I know of your feelings for him but isn't it obvious that he does not return your feelings?”
 
“As long as Eketa exists he won't,” Rama sighed as he sat up. “But I cannot fault Eketa for it. He saved dear Aerith from death.”
 
“Really? How?” Ceon inquired and Rama shook his head.
 
“I'm afraid I can't tell you. I promised dear Aerith I would keep it a secret. He has a bit of a...past.”
 
“I see. You wouldn't guess that just by looking at him.”
 
“True. You don't have to force yourself to stay awake, you know.”
 
“I'm fine. There are some clouds moving in. It may rain tomorrow.”
 
“I hope not. This suit would be ruined if it got rained on,” Rama said then winced slightly. “I must have slept in an awkward position.”
 
“Where does it hurt?” Ceon inquired and Rama touched his shoulder. Ceon sat behind him and draped Rama's hair over his shoulder. Ceon then began massaging Rama's shoulders and Rama closed his eyes.
 
“I wonder if dear Aerith ever has to do this for Eketa. I bet he has a soothing touch.”
 
“Fantasizing that way does not do you any good, my lord.”
 
“I know but right now fantasizing is all I've got. A little harder there Ceon. Yes, that feels quite nice.”
 
An owl hooted and Rama looked up. He watched the bird fly down from its perch then scoop up a small rodent with its talons and sighed. That was the eternal struggle the church wanted to be rid of. Again idealists were fools. Struggle was a means of preserving the strongest members of a species. If there was no struggle then the lesser species would overpopulate then in turn die from lack of food or disease. Nature was a cruel beast and it could not be tamed, no matter how idealistic the humans were.
 
“I don't know which is worse, my lord. Your feelings for Aerith or your pensive moods,” Ceon commented and Rama sighed.
 
“Why can't humans see that conflict is necessary? Without conflict there is nothing but chaos,” Rama said. “Your touch has certainly relaxed me, Ceon. Thank you.”
 
“My pleasure, my lord.”
 
“Oh I hope I haven't interrupted anything,” Seori said as Ceon drew away.
 
“Not at all. My shoulders were hurting and Ceon was only trying to relieve the pain. He helped immensely,” Rama said then glanced at Seori. “Why are you awake?”
 
“I was just worried about what's going to happen.”
 
“You need not worry yourself over that. We will take care of the danger. We can pray for Eketa's safety, nothing more. I'm sure some prayers to Oneru cannot hurt.”
 
“I still find it odd that you pray to the god of the underworld.”
 
“All gods need prayer but you should get some sleep. You are not accustomed to traveling in this manner so you need to conserve your strength as much as you can. Ceon, why don't you take her back to the camp and get some rest as well? I'll be fine.”
 
“If you're sure my lord,” Ceon said and Rama smiled.
 
“I'm sure.”
 
Rama stood up and stretched then glanced down when his foot brushed against something. He knelt down and smiled when he picked up a book. Ceon had definitely prepared for everything but where had he possibly found a book written in their own script? Rama shrugged his shoulders as he walked over to a large smooth rock. He supposed he shouldn't question a gift. He sat down then raised a hand and watched a soft light appear. The light floated in the air as Rama opened the book. Even though he preferred to use fire spells, he had learned a few other spells he had thought useful over the years. It was always a good idea to know a little of everything but specialize in one form of magic art. He had chosen fire because it seemed to fit his personality. Fire could be gentle, fire could be warm, and fire could be a roaring inferno that could destroy entire forests in minutes. Those who worked closest to him knew that his regular personality was only a facet of his true essence. There were many dimensions to his personality and he wished that Aerith could see that and not focus on the part of him that adored Aerith.
 
Rama sighed as he turned the page then stifled a yawn. He could afford to lose some sleep. After all, he had to prepare himself for the rigors of battle. One thing he was reluctant to do was dress down. He loved the feel of fine clothing and no matter how functional armor might be, it wasn't comfortable. But then if armor were made like fine clothing, it would not provide good defense against an enemy's blade. Rama would sacrifice fashion for defense any day, especially in terms of war.
 
“Oneru, you're one of the few gods that actually support us even though you are supposed to be impartial in the dealings of the living. I do not ask for any assistance because I do believe we'll be able to take care of this problem on our own but if, in any way, you can give protection to Eketa it would be greatly appreciated. While I am not exactly thrilled with his existence because it puts a crimp in my own plans, I know Aerith is very concerned about the well-being of his master. For that reason alone, I humbly request that you protect Eketa,” Rama said then opened his eyes. He then turned his attention back to his book and sighed. He hoped no one at the next Gathering would get the idea that he was fond of Eketa because of this. If he ever acted solely on his greed, it would be to dispose of Eketa and make Aerith his own but unfortunately, he was not that kind of demon. He would just wait for his time to come.
 
“If you were tired, you should have gotten someone else to keep watch,” Aerith commented and Rama looked up. The birds were chirping their morning song and the sun was already peeking through some clouds. When had night ended? He waved away the light spell then moaned slightly in pain. Rama glanced at Aerith in surprise when Aerith offered him a hand and he gratefully took it.
 
“I have got to stop reading so late at night,” Rama said then stretched his arms. “It's too bad there isn't a mineral spring nearby. I am in need of a hot bath. My muscles are really sore. I must have nodded off a few hours ago. I believe it was around four because that was the last position I remember the moon being in. I suppose it was due to the silence of this place but I am quite ashamed of myself for if this had been war, I could have easily gotten you all killed because of my negligence.”
 
“It was a mistake. It could have happened to any of us.”
 
“As I said, it could have been a deadly mistake. I must get in the right frame of mind if I am to be any use to you on this journey.”
 
“You've already been useful. We couldn't have come this far without you and you know it. I would not be alive right now if it hadn't have been for you.”
 
“Dear Aerith, I do not want to lose you. I cannot take this mistake lightly. There may not be a chance for me to make amends in the future.”
 
“What's going on?” Seori inquired and Aerith glanced at Ceon.
 
“Is it common for him to get like this?” Aerith asked.
 
“What happened?” Ceon inquired.
 
“Apparently he fell asleep out here. I've told him it's no big deal but he thinks it is.”
 
“From a warrior's standpoint, it is a big deal. Even though Lord Rama has exceptional hearing and would have most likely awakened had there been a true attack, his duty was to keep watch until dawn. Falling asleep mean failure in his duty. He has also undone all the work I did last night. I'm going to have to loosen his muscles again. Come, my lord. Let me help you. We really should be getting on our way as soon as possible. The corral is about half a day's ride away if I remember correctly.”
 
“Corral for what?” Seori asked and Aerith glanced at her.
 
“Dragons,” he replied and her eyes grew wide.
 
“Dragons? Are you serious?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“We're going to ride them?”
 
“Lord Rama thinks it will speed up our travel.”
 
“What's it like to ride on a dragon?”
 
“I don't know. I've never done it before.”
 
“You've never ridden one before?” Ceon asked. “I would have thought you would have been on one before with your background.”
 
“What do you know of my background?” Aerith inquired and Ceon looked confused. Rama took Aerith's hand and held it close to his chest.
 
“He means as Eketa's servant. Dear Aerith I gave you a promise. I would never break that promise,” Rama said and Aerith sighed.
 
“Forgive me. I just thought...”
 
“You were thinking foolishly dear Aerith. I understand your feelings on that subject and I would never reveal anything that would hurt you.”
 
“Come on my lord, I need to rub away the pain. We won't be able to leave while you're feeling this way,” Ceon said and took Rama's hand. Rama reluctantly drew away from Aerith and allowed Ceon to lead him back to camp.
 
“By the gods he can get annoying,” Aerith commented as Seori picked up the book Rama had dropped.
 
“You were the one that jumped to conclusions. Your language looks pretty,” she commented and Aerith took the book from her.
 
“I wonder how Ceon managed to get a book in the last town we were in.”
 
“There was a bookstore.”
 
“Human villages don't normally carry titles demons read. Larger towns carry them for the odd collector but not Hada. It just isn't big enough.”
 
“Perhaps a merchant brought it from a large town and sold it to the owner of the bookstore. Um Aerith, where are the corrals?”
 
“I don't know. I've never been on a dragon before. Don't you remember me telling you that?”
 
“Yes, now I do. I'm sorry. I guess I can ask Ceon. I have to wait for him after all.”
 
“I really don't know how Ceon can put up with him,” Aerith commented. “Come on, we'd better get back to camp. I'm sure you're a little hungry, aren't you?”
 
“Perhaps a little. I'm more thirsty right now than anything,” Seori replied.
 
They walked back to the campsite where the demons were already putting their supplies away. Ceon walked up to them and handed Seori a canteen of water. Seori took it and lowered her head in thanks.
 
“Lord Rama is not the only one with excellent hearing,” Ceon said then looked at Aerith. “We will be traveling to Tzaqa. It shouldn't take more than half a day providing we do not run into any trouble.”
 
“Tzaqa? That doesn't sound familiar,” Aerith said.
 
“It's a well known village if you deal with dragon riders,” Rama commented then glanced at the book Seori held. “Thank you. I was just about to go and get it. You know, dear Aerith, I am quite certain Eketa has ridden a dragon before. I can't imagine why you don't know how to ride one.”
 
“I've never seen him ride a dragon.”
 
“Is that so? Well then, it must have been before he acquired you but I wonder why he hasn't been on one since then. Has he ever mentioned it to you?”
 
“I don't believe so.”
 
“That is indeed strange. Well nothing can be gained by pondering the past. Now lets get on our mounts and get started. I'd like to get to Tzaqa before nightfall.”
 
“It's only morning Lord Rama.”
 
“I know but I was taking in account the possibility of attacks.”
 
“Although an attack around Tzaqa is highly unlikely,” Ceon commented as Rama mounted his horse.
 
“Why?” Seori inquired.
 
“Tzaqa is not a place that is easily approachable. Human travelers can walk right by it and not even see it.”
 
“How is that possible?”
 
“The dragon riders use a cloaking spell on their village. They place markers around the edges of their village that emit a soft aura. Humans can't sense it but we can.”
 
“Can clerics sense it?”
 
“No. They use an aura clerics can't identify. They prefer to have no dealings whatsoever with clerics.”
 
“But what if they see one leave?” Seori asked and Ceon shrugged his shoulders.
 
“They still couldn't get inside. As far as the cleric could see, the dragon just took off from a place in the forest,” Ceon replied.
 
“Why are we going by dragon, Lord Rama?” Aerith inquired and Rama glanced at him. “I don't believe you told me all of your concerns last night.”
 
“That priest could have taken the water route. The bandits might be inclined to strike a deal with someone like him. We must reach Kanota's realm as soon as possible. Have you thought about what you're going to say when you meet see him again?” Rama inquired and Aerith shook his head.
 
“I have no idea. He may not want to see me. He may only wish to talk to you. If he does, I'll understand. He may not want to see the product of his crime.”
 
“He might surprise you. He may have forgiven himself after all these years.”
 
“Perhaps. Do you really think the priest could have gone by water?”
 
“It's quite possible.”
 
“I hope my lord is safe.”
 
“I'm quite certain he's fine.”