Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Botia ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Phyana approached the bandit village cautiously. He had heard stories about the people of Botia and he knew they did not take kindly to priests. They seemed to be quite content in their life of thievery and Phyana hoped they left him something to bargain with. He had acquired quite a few items by asking for donations to aid the homeless in the last town he had stopped in. He had even managed to convince Lakel that Demon Lord Rama had destroyed Ralonu because he was under the impression Aerith had been taken prisoner. Now he hoped his gift of persuasion was just as strong as he walked up to a large and bulky guard.
 
“Excuse me, I would like to speak to your leader,” Phyana said and the guard looked at him.
 
“We are in no need of a church here,” he replied. “Now get lost!”
 
“But I wish to hire a ship.”
 
“Why?”
 
“I have some urgent business in Nayare.”
 
“We don't take charity.”
 
“I am willing to pay.”
 
“Well in that case...Hey chief!”
 
“What is it?! Police?” the chief asked as he ran out of his hut.
 
“No no police. Just a priest,” the guard replied and the chief folded his arms.
 
“A priest?! You interrupt my meal for a priest?! You know we don't need a church. Send him away.”
 
“He wants to hire a boat.”
 
“With what?”
 
“He said he was willing to pay...”
 
“Churches don't have money. Why do you think they're always asking for handouts?”
 
“I brought things to bargain with...” Phyana said and the chief looked at him.
 
“Well I suppose I can take a look at what you've got,” he said.
 
“This way please.”
 
He led the bandit chief back to the stage and opened a small crate. The driver watched nervously as the chief browsed through the items. He had told Phyana coming to Botia was a fool's journey but did he listen? No. The chief picked up a piece of clothing and inspected it.
 
“Hmm, it's been worn quite a few times. It's a little threadbare,” he commented then turned it around. “Button missing, small hole near the shoulder...Tell you what. I'll give you fifty sovereigns for the lot,” he said and Phyana held out his hands.
 
“But I must have a ship! You are the only ones close enough that can transport us to Nayare,” Phyana said then pulled down another box. “I have some other things you might like. Look through here.”
 
“I don't suppose you'd have any new weapons? No I thought not. What's in the cab?”
 
“A cleric. I'm taking him with me to Nayare.”
 
“Let me see him. Perhaps he has something of value.”
 
“He's just a mere cleric. To tell the truth, he isn't a very good one.”
 
“Get him out here.”
 
Phyana watched as a guard opened the stagecoach door and pulled Lakel out. Lakel looked surprised at being handled in such a manner then looked around. This did not seem like a village a priest would pay a normal visit to. He drew back when the chief touched his robe then glanced at Phyana.
 
“Father where are we?” he inquired and Phyana wrung his hands nervously.
 
“We are in Botia,” he replied.
 
“Botia? Where the bandits live? Why are we here?”
 
“I'm trying to get a ship.”
 
“Then that's what all those offerings were for. You lied to those people.”
 
“Only for a good cause. Sometimes the truth must be stretched, Lakel.”
 
“It doesn't matter what the cause is, Father. You made people give out of the goodness in their hearts because they believed your tale. You cheated them.”
 
“So long as the goods get put to good use, it doesn't matter who uses them,” Phyana said and Lakel folded his arms.
 
“It's still wrong,” Lakel said and the bandit chief laughed.
 
“A priest stealing from others in order to pay for his passage! I like your style. We'll take the lot. Come, join me in my meal. We'll start our journey in the morning,” he said.
 
“I'm not going.”
 
“Lakel sometimes shortcuts must be taken to get us where we need to be. If we want retribution for Ralonu, we must get to Nayare as soon as possible,” Phyana said.
 
“How do I know you're telling the truth about Ralonu?” Lakel inquired and Phyana gazed seriously at him.
 
“Why would I lie about that?”
 
“You had no reason to lie to those innocent people that gave you contributions yet you did.”
 
“Why would I make up a tale concerning my own home? It is not my fault that demon lord was so hostile. I tried to get him to listen to reason but he would have none of it.”
 
“What did you do to Aerith? I get the feeling you haven't been telling me the truth.”
 
“All I did was place him in the custody of the church.”
 
“For what reason? He had done nothing wrong.”
 
“He must have done something wrong considering what he was.”
 
“You'd make a good bandit my friend,” the chief said and Phyana looked at him.
 
“I only did what was necessary...” Phyana said and the chief waved a hand.
 
“I'm sorry. I haven't introduced myself yet. I am Chaliel leader of this village. Now come and join me in my meal. We've got plenty to go around.”
 
Lakel folded his arms as he reluctantly followed Phyana. Had everything he had come to believe in the past two year been just a lie? Phyana had left Seori behind. If what Phyana had said about Ralonu was true then he had knowingly let her perish. And what of Aerith? The names and places he had spoken of seemed familiar to Lakel and he didn't know why. Perhaps, perhaps it was possible. Perhaps he was the one Aerith had spent two years searching for. The timing of their journeys did coincide with each other as did their general location at the beginning of the journey. But if he was Demon Lord Eketa, why couldn't he remember? Why couldn't he use any of the powers demon lords were famous for? Did the father believe he was a demon lord and that was why he had been taken away so quickly? It would make sense. The driver had said Father Phyana had been delayed because of the arrival of Demon Lord Rama and then with as quickly as he jumped aboard the stage...
 
Lakel frowned as he pictured the scene. The father had been running like a small child who had broken a window and was fleeing the scene of the crime for fear of being caught. He folded his arms as he walked away from Chaliel and Phyana, both of whom took no notice of his departure, and walked up the riverbank. He had been lied to. Phyana probably had his suspicions the day Lakel had told about his run-in with Aerith. The arrival of Demon Lord Rama confirmed his suspicions which was why he wanted to get to Nayare as quickly as possible.
 
He sat on the edge of the bank and gazed into the water. Once in Nayare, what was to become of him? Would he be killed? He had not committed any crime and without his powers and his memory he was unable to stand up against the Holy Army. He watched a few fish swim underneath the light of the moon and sighed. His night vision had always seemed better than others and he had initially thought it was a gift but now, he reflected as he gazed at his hands, now he knew it was because he was a different species.
 
“Aerith...” he whispered then shivered when a cool wind blew past him.
 
“It gets a mite cold around the river at night,” a voice said and Lakel glanced up. A rotund bandit stood beside him with a knife in his hands. Lakel nervously stood up and stepped away from the water.
 
“I have no money.”
 
“Ah relax. You're a jumpy one. I don't use this for slayin' people. I go after the fish with it. My missus never seems to make enough for supper so I come out here, catch a few lunkers and cook 'em on a campfire. Boy you're skin and bones. I'll have to catch a few extra for you. I don't know how you can survive winters with no meat on those bones.”
 
“Thank you. I just thought that since this is a thieves' hideout and all...”
 
“You're not from here are you? That's why you froze like a little rabbit. Of course we plunder and steal but not within our own home. There is honor among thieves. I'm known as Ellevin. What's your name?”
 
“Lakel at least that's the name I was given.”
 
“'tis a nice name. Your parents gave you that name 'eh? Ah I got one!”
 
Lakel watched Ellevin spear a fish then toss it on a piece of grass far enough away from the water so that it wouldn't slip back. The fish writhed back and forth as it tried to make its way back to the safety of the water then eventually gave up. Ellevin tossed another on top of the previous fish then glanced at Lakel when he shivered again.
 
“So where are you from?” he inquired and Lakel shrugged his shoulders.
 
“I don't know,” he replied. “Two years ago I was found wandering the roads near Beyesh by a merchant. He's the one that gave me the name Lakel. I can't remember anything that happened before two years ago.”
 
“That's a spot of bad luck. Here comes another one! Were you from Beyesh?”
 
“I don't know. I don't think so...”
 
“Maybe you had some sort of spell put upon you.”
 
Lakel frowned at this notion. A spell? He blinked his eyes when an Ildelian Knight raised a large sword and recited some sort of chant. A strong ray of light shot out from the sword and towards a demon that looked remarkably like himself...Lakel started when Ellevin laid a hand on his shoulder and steered him away from the water.
 
“Perhaps you should come home with me,” he suggested. “I can cook these fish just as well home as I can out here. I just need to put them in this bag and we'll be on our way.”
 
“Thank you but I don't think that's really necessary,” Lakel said and Ellevin shook his head.
 
“You look like you're in need of a good home cooked meal. Losin' your memory like that must be terrible. You also looked as though you had seen a bit of your past a moment ago and from the looks of you, it wasn't pretty.”
 
“But...”
 
“Quit your whinin'. I've got plenty of room and the missus would be happy to see an out of towner. We don't get many of 'em here.”
 
Ellevin placed his catch into a bag then sheathed his knife and led Lakel through the streets of Botia. They passed a tavern and paused when the bartender threw some men out the front door then continued on. Lakel glanced around the town in awe. Botia was not that much different from other towns he had been in. There was a smithy, a clothing store, a tailor's, and even a small dry goods market. The town seemed to be well-set in terms of economics and Lakel wondered why they had to steal.
 
“You seem as though you have everything. Why do you steal?” Lakel inquired and Ellevin laughed.
 
“For the honor I suppose. Most of what we have now has been built on generations of thieves. Botia has become a legend in its own right and if we stopped stealing, this town wouldn't be legendary any more now would it?” Ellevin asked.
 
“I suppose you're right.”
 
“And stealing isn't the only thing we're known for. This is a hangout for outlaws.”
 
“Outlaws?”
 
“Anyone who is on the run from the law whether it be the church or town law. We have housed many people who were accused unjustly. The stories I could tell you about servants being accused of crimes their masters committed or people turned into scapegoats to cover up the dirty dealings of the church.”
 
“What about demons?”
 
“Demons? We don't see 'em much. Now there's a persecuted species. They're always getting blamed for crimes everyone else is ashamed to admit they committed. The demons have their own network and some of the demon lords are exceptional rulers. We seldom see anyone from Rama's realm in the south. I've been told he's a little queer in nature but I've heard no real complaints about his rule.”
 
“But don't they just live for death and destruction?” Lakel inquired and Ellevin looked at him.
 
“You can't judge an entire bushel of apples just from a few rotten ones at the top,” he replied. “Unfortunately the church doesn't see things like that. They figure that demons are like an onion. If you peel away one rotten layer, there's another one underneath. Too bad the same can't be said for the church. There's a lot of corruption in the Ildelian Church but it's been hidden really well. It's impossible for anyone to trace their underhanded deals. Here we are. Sutia! I've brought a visitor!”
 
“I'm not letting you mess up my nice clean house with one of your stupid card games!” a woman's voice said as Ellevin opened the door.
 
“I just met him and we're not going to play cards. He's from out of town.”
 
“Oh? From where?”
 
A thin young woman, perhaps in her late twenties, stepped into the room. She wore her auburn hair up in a bun and she had on a long blue dress. Lakel had no eye for feminine fashion but he got the feeling that the dress had been worth quite a few sovereigns. She nodded her head in greeting and Ellevin nudged Lakel's shoulder.
 
“Bet she wasn't what you were expecting was it?” he asked then glanced at his wife. “He's not sure where he's from. He's lost his memory.”
 
“Oh how terrible! How in the world did you manage to come here?”
 
“Well I came with Father Phyana,” Lakel said and Sutia looked surprised.
 
“A priest? Here?”
 
“He wants to use a ship.”
 
“Let the man have a bite to eat Sutia. See how thin he is?” Ellevin asked and Sutia nodded her head.
 
“I'll have to get some more lard. How many fish did you catch?” she inquired and Ellevin checked his bag.
 
“About five.”
 
“About?”
 
“One's pretty puny. It doesn't count for a whole one. We do have some bread left don't we?”
 
“Just give me the fish and you get him a chair and a drink. I'll take care of the food.”
 
“She's the best cook in town,” Ellevin commented as he steered Lakel to a chair. “Do you smoke?”
 
“No I don't,” he replied as Ellevin filled a pipe with tobacco.
 
“It can be an expensive habit to maintain. Fortunately we have no shortage of leaves. We have a strong supply line with the regions to the south across the great seas. You told me you were found near Beyesh. Is that where you are headed now? Traveling up the river will cut your travel time by a great amount but it will put you slightly out of your way. You will be near Demon Lord Kanota's territory. Beyesh is closer to Demon Lord Eketa's territory. Of course in reflection to your current location, you are nowhere near either territory. You're closer to Mesun's territory than anyone's.”
 
“Mesun. Mesun...”
 
“You've heard the name before?”
 
“I think so.”
 
“Ellevin, you really shouldn't make him think so hard,” Sutia said as she walked into the room with a plate of bread. “I figured I should give this to you now. It will take some time to cook the fish. The butter is fresh. We purchased it from the dairy this morning.”
 
“You have farms as well?” Lakel inquired and Ellevin nodded his head.
 
“Most are offspring from the original livestock that was stolen generations ago although we do steal a cow now and then to keep in practice,” he replied. “Try some of the bread. You'll like it.”
 
Lakel took a piece of bread and buttered it. He then took a bite and nodded his head in approval. It was good. Ellevin leaned back in his chair for a moment then stood up. He went to a cabinet and took out a couple of steins. He then walked over to a wooden keg and twisted the spigot. He filled the steins to the brim and brought them back to where Lakel sat.
 
“Ever had a good barley brew?” Ellevin asked and Lakel shook his head.
 
“I don't think so,” he replied as he took a sip. He then took a gulp and Ellevin laughed heartily.
 
“By the gods you're a drinkin' man you are. You may have forgotten your past but you haven't forgotten how to drink.”
 
“You're right.”
 
“Of course I'm right. It doesn't matter where you came from or where you're going. You're you. Nothing can take away your essence, not even magic.”
 
“Not even magic?”
 
“Here we are. They're nice and fresh and with the herbs you love, dear,” Sutia said as she came into the room carrying two plates.
 
“Thank you my dear. Do we still have that woolen blanket your cousin brought out last year?” Ellevin asked and Sutia folded her arms.
 
“Didn't you like that blanket?” she asked and Ellevin nodded his head.
 
“Of course I did but I thought that with as much cleaning as you've been doing, you might have thrown it out.”
 
“I would not have thrown out a gift from my favorite cousin. I'll go get it.”
 
“That could have gotten messy if it hadn't have been for my quick thinking,” Ellevin said and Lakel frowned.
 
“You might not be out of the woods yet. She might confront you with it at a later date,” Lakel said and Ellevin nodded his head.
 
“You are quite observant but she will no argue so long as we have a guest in the house. Perhaps you need not leave so soon?”
 
“I'm afraid I have to leave in the morning. That is when Father Phyana wishes to leave.”
 
“Too bad then. Conflict is inevitable I suppose. But for now let's be merry.”
 
Lakel wondered what would become of him once he boarded the boat. Would Phyana make him a prisoner? And what in the world of Seori? What had he done with her? She was at the church when Demon Lord Rama arrived. Had he ordered her capture as well? He closed his eyes for a moment and prayed for her safety although he was currently unsure exactly who he should pray to.
 
Please Seori, if you are still alive, please stay strong. Our paths were destined to split eventually. And Aerith, though I may not be able to completely remember yet, please do not let me down. I am unsure what will happen to me once I arrive at the cathedral but I do know it will not be good. Rama, even though I can barely picture you at this point in time, I do know that you will protect Aerith. You are my only hope for until I can break through whatever spell binds me, I am unable to fight back, Lakel thought then took another bite of fish. It was good although it was too well-done for his taste. He watched Ellevin set his place down and sighed in satisfaction.
 
“Well I think I'll be able to last until morning. You've barely worked through one boy. You may be able to drink but you need work on your eating,” Ellevin said as Lakel lay his fork down.
 
“I guess I'm more concerned than hungry,” Lakel replied. “I get the feeling there might be danger on this trip.”
 
“No sense worrying about the possibilities until they become reality.”
 
“You have a point there. I'll just wait and see what tomorrow brings.”