Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Departure ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ceon waved his hand in greeting when the party reached a large tree near the outskirts of town then ran up to Rama when he noticed his lord was looking slightly less than cheerful. Seori watched the two exchange a few words then glanced at Aerith. She had worried about them being alone together for the entire night but it seemed as though Aerith was no worse for wear. Rama sat on a large rock and allowed Ceon to rub his shoulders.
 
“I was worried about you,” she commented and Aerith looked at her. “I wasn't sure whether or not he would keep his word.”
 
“There was no need to worry. He may want me but he doesn't desire the consequences of the crime he would have committed. Yes, he can get annoying at times but it is because of his feelings I was rescued. No other demon lord would have come to my aide. I am, unfortunately, indebted to him,” Aerith replied.
 
“What is Ceon doing?”
 
“Lord Rama did not sleep well last night. The bed was below his standards.”
 
“It really is hard to believe that he can be brutal. He acts more like a spoiled child than anything.”
 
“Yes, he certainly is wealthy and he's used to having things his own way but there is another side to him that surfaces when he is in battle and it is not pretty. You must remember that things are not always as they seem.”
 
“So what direction will be be going in today?”
 
“East. Lord Rama wants to visit a mountain before we go to Lord Kanota's castle. There's a demon that lives atop the mountain that may have some helpful information for us.”
 
“Horses? I was wondering where the others had gone. I hope they're paid for.”
 
“Of course they are. You do fast work, Ceon.”
 
“I knew Lord Rama would not want to undertake such a long journey on foot,” Ceon replied then drew away from his master. Rama stood up and stretched then glanced at Ceon.
 
“I assume you have a fresh set of clothing as well?” he inquired and Ceon nodded his head.
 
“Of course, Lord Rama. If you would please follow me, I will assist you.”
 
“Come on dear Aerith. I told you I wanted to see you in something other than that traveling robe.”
 
“I'm perfectly fine with this robe,” Aerith said then protested when a demon took his hand.
 
“Please do as Lord Rama wishes,” he said and Aerith reluctantly allowed himself to be lead into the forest. The demon stopped where Ceon was already undressing Rama then laid a hand on Aerith's robe. Aerith removed the demon's hand and glared at him.
 
“I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself.”
 
“Just bring him the clothes then. I certainly hope you chose well, Ceon,” Rama said as Ceon laid his coat on the ground.
 
“This town didn't have much to offer but I did my best my lord,” Ceon replied as Rama took off his boots.
 
“Well then I suppose it will have to do. Let me see what you got. Hmm. The fabric is a bit rough but I can deal with that.”
 
“Is the color all right my lord?”
 
“Yes, a burgundy color is fine. What do you think of your outfit dear Aerith?”
 
“I was fine with what I was already wearing,” Aerith replied as he tugged at his shirt collar. “I feel like I'm going to a wedding or something. I can't breathe.”
 
“You've buttoned it up too high. Let me help you,” Rama said and Ceon protested slightly.
 
“My lord you'll ruin those pants if you walk like that,” he said and Aerith waved a hand.
 
“No I can do it myself. Finish getting dressed. We have a long way ahead of us. I think I'll go back and wait with Seori,” he said and picked up his robe.
 
“Don't put that on. No one will be able to see your new outfit,” Rama said as Aerith stepped through the trees.
 
“You look distinguished,” Seori commented and Aerith sighed.
 
“I feel like a fool,” he replied. “I wonder if I would have to wear something like this every day if I served him,” he replied.
 
“What did Eketa like you to wear?”
 
“I was allowed to wear what I was most comfortable with. When traveling, I wore a robe. At home, I was able to wear plain clothes. You know, the kind you can move around in, not something that has been pressed so much you feel like a statue as soon as you get into them. If we meet up with bandits on the road, I don't think I'll be able to fight.”
 
“Bandits?”
 
“Yes. These roads can be quite treacherous,” Rama said as he walked up to them. “You might want to put your hair back, dear Aerith. It may make traveling easier.”
 
“All right. I don't need help with it. I can do that on my own too,” Aerith said as a demon stepped forward.
 
“Miss Seori, do you know how to ride?”
 
“Not very well,” Seori replied.
 
“I see. Ceon, you will accommodate the lady, won't you?” Rama asked and Ceon nodded his head.
 
“Yes my lord,” he replied as Rama mounted his horse.
 
“Very good then. Let's get on our way, shall we?”
 
“How long do you think it will take?” Aerith inquired as he mounted his horse.
 
“It depends on how many bandits we run into. It is still a long ways to Kanota's castle but we should be able to reach a decent area to make camp by nightfall,” Rama replied.
 
“Will you be able to handle sleeping outside?”
 
“Of course I will. We have plenty of provisions after all.”
 
“Will he really be able to handle it?” Seori inquired and Ceon glanced back at her.
 
“There is no cause to worry. Lord Rama is quite versatile. Even though he acts like an aristocrat, he is a warrior and warriors have to endure some of the most deplorable conditions. He has never forgotten his true calling and as the road gets harder, you will see less of his debonair attitude,” Ceon replied. “But of course that may or may not be a good thing.”
 
“Then I look forward to that day because that will be the day when I can go back to wearing my robe,” Aerith said and Rama glanced at him.
 
“Why do you hold onto that thing? It's been stained,” he said and Aerith sighed.
 
“It is like a kindred spirit. It has served me well and it it not ready for the rubbish pile yet. A trusty robe is like a trusted sword. The sword may become bloodstained over time but you do not throw it away for something new if it still has worth.”
 
“A sword can always be sharpened or strengthened.”
 
“A robe can be repaired.”
 
“We are wasting time my lord,” Ceon commented and Rama nodded his head.
 
“So we are. Let's move out! We have a long road ahead of us,” Rama said and prodded his horse to trot forward.
 
It was perhaps four hours later when the party stopped in a clearing for lunch. Seori glanced at Ceon in surprise when he handed her a small bag. She opened it and took out some cured meat, some dried fruit, and some bread. He sat beside her and opened a canteen of water.
 
“I figured you would like some cooked food,” he commented. “ I also didn't think you would want to sit where the others are eating.”
 
“Thank you. What is it like serving your lord?” she inquired and Ceon shrugged.
 
“He is quite fair to all of us. Why don't you eat?”
 
“I must give thanks for the food first.”
 
“Ah yes. I forgot you're a member of the church.”
 
“Is that bad?”
 
“It depends on how you look at it I suppose. A lot of us have lost family to high members of the church. In the west crusades are killing countless demons.”
 
“We were told the crusades were forms of divine judgment.”
 
“Hundreds have been slain for your divine judgment. Your holy warriors don't even care who they kill so long as they are demon. The stories I could tell you of men, women, and children dying by the blades of men who swear their allegiance to Ildelia. How can anyone in their right mind call that judgment? That is slaughter pure and simple.”
 
“Most of us in the church are not aware of the truth. That is why I asked to come along. I want to see the truth with my own eyes,” Seori said and Ceon glanced at her.
 
“You may see some things that you will wish you hadn't seen,” he replied.
 
“I will have to take that chance. Will your lord be all right without you?”
 
“I should think so. He is the one that asked me to do this after all.”
 
“Why does he not care for women?”
 
“That's just the way he's always been. To ask me to explain it would be like asking to explain why the sky is blue. There are many reasons for it and I cannot explain the main one to you.”
 
“Is it a crime for him to be like that?”
 
“No. It does not go against any law for him to choose his own destiny. Why, is it against some holy code?” Ceon inquired and Seori nodded her head.
 
“Yes. Ildelia frowns on such a lifestyle,” Seori said and Ceon shrugged his shoulders. “It is a grave crime and people have been banished from the church for it.”
 
“That's an extreme measure to take simply because one does not conform. What makes one way of life better than another's? But I suppose if we knew that question, there would be no need for war.”
 
“Your master has said something similar to that.”
 
“He says things like that quite often. He is quite a learned man after all.”
 
“I came to see how things were. I hope the cries from the animals did not disturb you too much,” Aerith said as he walked up to where Seori and Ceon sat.
 
“Not too much. I do realize that you need to eat as well although I find awfully hard to picture Lord Rama eating in an uncivilized manner,” Seori said and Aerith smiled.
 
“He did but he was able to eat raw meat and not stain his shirt with blood. I don't know how he managed it.”
 
“Some things can't be explained,” Ceon said then glanced at Aerith. “Would you like to keep her company? I want to see if there's anything left.”
 
“Your master saved something for you. Go on. I've had quite enough.”
 
“I didn't know he hadn't eaten,” Seori said. “I would have offered him some of mine.”
 
“It's all right. Ceon, like the rest of us, prefers it raw,” Aerith said.
 
“I can't believe the church has been so horrible to your people. I wish I could do something.”
 
“Why? You haven't done anything.”
 
“But I believed in everything they told us. I subscribed to their teachings. I'm just as much to blame for your misfortune as the rest of them.”
 
“I doubt that but if that's what you want to think..”
 
“Well sitting around doing nothing doesn't change anything. Aren't your people tired of this conflict?”
 
“This conflict has been going on for generations and it shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. Some conflicts can't be avoided,” Aerith replied then glanced up when Rama walked up to them. “Has everyone had their fill?”
 
“Pretty much. What is left over the animals can have,” Rama replied then glanced at Seori. “Was your meal satisfactory?”
 
“Yes thank you,” she said and Aerith offered her a hand. He helped her up and she smoothed down her dress. “It was nice of you to get cooked food for me.”
 
“I thought it would be best. It seemed you would be out of place eating with the rest of us since we prefer more natural meals. I think now would be a good time for us to get started on our way.”
 
“I hope we run into some bandits. I need some exercise,” Aerith said and Rama looked at him.
 
“You need to gain some weight dear Aerith,” he commented and Aerith ignored him. He mounted his horse then watched Rama mount his horse. He didn't know how Ceon could stand working for him.
 
“I'm perfectly fine the way I am. I don't need to gain weight.”
 
“Eketa has a thing for thin, doesn't he?”
 
“No he had demons of all sizes in his employ. He has also helped demons made homeless by the church. I guess he has had a habit of doing that sort of thing. Apparently he was doing it before I met him. I suppose my resentment for him was misplaced in the beginning.”
 
“How do you get to be a demon lord?” Seori inquired and Ceon glanced back at her.
 
“Well mostly it's through bloodlines but occasionally it's through strength,” he replied.
 
“The demon lord in the far north acquired his realm that way. But in rare cases, a council is formed to appoint a demon lord to a realm without a successor,” Rama said then smiled. “Ah, it looks as though we've come across some bandits.”
 
“Hold it right there!” A large muscular man said as Rama brought his horse to a halt. “Your money or your life!”
 
“I certainly hope you use the money for a bath. You smell worse than rancid mead.”
 
“Don't get cocky, pretty boy or I'll let you have it right here and now. Boys, relieve them of their belongings.”
 
“Now my lord?” Ceon inquired and Rama raised a hand.
 
“You may, only don't get over-zealous. We don't need to put them out of their misery. Just make them suffer a bit,” Rama replied then turned his attention to the bandit leader who was poking a sword into his neck.
 
“Listen mister,” the bandit hissed. “I don't go killing people unless they really ask for it so don't give me any trouble. Just hand over your money. By as fancy as you look, I'd say you've got plenty. You obviously won't mind sharing it with us.”
 
“I can't believe you're so rude that you'd actually block the road.”
 
“We ain't going to move until we get some gold.”
 
“You even speak like a commoner. Well I guess I'll just have to take care of you for your rudeness. I've gotten tired of just standing here.”
 
“Is that a challenge? You definitely have spirit even though you lack sense. Hey boys! Look who's going to challenge me!”
 
“You'd better not, you'll get your pretty clothes all dirty. Besides, we hate seeing a rich man cry,” one bandit sneered.
 
“Run it right through him boss!” another cried as Rama dismounted.
 
“Where's your weapon you lily-livered aristocrat?” the bandit leader inquired as Rama raised a hand.
 
“I don't need one,” he replied.
 
“He wants a fist fight he does!” another bandit cried and the leader threw down his sword.
 
“Very well then. It's your death. You can go in whatever way feels most comfortable to you. I suppose it's the least I can do,” the leader said and Rama smiled.
 
“You do amuse me but we really must be going. I'm afraid I'll have to end this,” he said and the bandit leader's eyes grew wide when a ball of fire formed in Rama's outstretched hand.
 
“What...what manner of deviltry is this?!”
 
“It's just a mere spell. Surely you've seen magic before.”
 
“Well yes I have but I thought only clerics and demons could wield such...power. Oh dear gods what have I done?!”
 
“You picked the wrong group to rob. That is what you have done.”
 
“Please show mercy!” the bandit leader cried and Rama lowered his hand.
 
“Oh but I have,” he replied. “My men spared the life of your little gang.”
 
The bandit leader looked around in shock only to find his men sprawled about the ground. A few groaned in pain and the bandit leader's mouth opened in shock. How in the world had they moved so fast? What sort of creatures were they? He began quaking with terror when Rama walked up to him and laid a hand on his shoulder.
 
“I suggest you choose a more honorable occupation. The next demon lord you run across may not be as forgiving as I am,” Rama said and the bandit leader slowly turned his head to look at him.
 
“You're a...? You're a...?” he inquired then fell forward in a faint.
 
“That was simple enough,” Rama said as he picked the bandit leader up and disposed of him at the side of the road. “Ugh. I can't believe how much he reeked. I swear, some humans have no concept of cleanliness. Shall we continue on?”
 
“You work really fast,” Seori said as Ceon brought his horse to a trot.
 
“It wasn't that hard. They really weren't all that strong. All those weapons were probably just for show. To defenseless humans, a large show of weaponry is terrifying. They probably picked on rich humans. Most of the wealthy people do not know how to fend for themselves. It's sad the way money can corrupt a person. The rich think they are above knowing how to fight because they figure their money can take care of everything for them. I'm certain they thought we were an easy target because of the way Lord Rama is dressed. Of course they were sadly mistaken in their judgment,” he replied.
 
“Also it is difficult for humans to pick out demons,” Aerith commented. “We look enough like your species. That is why when we first met there was a difference of opinion. Lakel knew I was a demon because he himself is one it's just that he hasn't remembered it. However you were convinced that I was just an ordinary human. We can control the level of our aura to an extent but there is always the possibility of running across high clerics. High clerics can sense our dark energy quite easily.”
 
“But these battles the church fights, how do they know whether or not they are killing demons and not humans?” Seori inquired.
 
“It is like I said about the high clerics. They use their magic to tell the difference. The believe wholeheartedly in the results even though their magic can be slightly faulty if the cleric has been ill or indulging in too much levity. As for demons, we can sense the difference. We rely a lot on our senses. People may deceive you but your senses will never lie.”
 
“But sometimes your senses can lie to you. I have heard of things called mirages in desert regions.”
 
“Yes, sight and sound can be deceptive but we can sense one thing most humans can't. We can feel the aura around things.”
 
“Aura? Yes, the church has talked of that before. What is it?”
 
“All living things emit an energy. This is what we call an aura. Stronger creatures have stronger auras. As I have said, it is possible to control the intensity of one's aura but it takes years of training and concentration.”
 
“If we became separated, we could use this energy to locate the rest of the party,” Ceon said. “We can also sense if someone is in trouble which is quite useful in battle.”
 
“We also can sense the moment a life has been extinguished,” Aerith said and Seori's eyes grew wide.
 
“But people die daily! How can you go through life knowing how many have died?” she asked and Aerith shrugged.
 
“Death is a part of nature. Feeling an aura disappear like the flame of a candle is just another course of events. We think nothing of it if it is the aura of someone we never knew. We tend to feel more strongly about the ones who are closest to us. That is not anything strange. Your people do it as well.”
 
“Some things we are better off not questioning,” Ceon said.
 
“But don't you feel compelled to help some of those souls?” Seori asked and Ceon shrugged.
 
“Those we can assist, we assist. Those we can't, we don't. There is not much more we can do. We may not be humans but we certainly aren't gods. Just because some of us have lived over four hundred years, does not mean we can do anything. Having a long life only means you get to witness the constant struggle longer.”
 
“Who has been around for four hundred years? Rama?”
 
“Oh please. I'm not that old,” Rama said and Ceon looked up.
 
“I wasn't implying that my lord. I just picked that number as an example,” Ceon said.
 
“Do I really look that old?”
 
“Of course not my lord. Do not take what she said seriously. Her species is lucky to live a hundred years. She has no concept of beings being able to live for longer.”
 
“If you want old, think of Kanota. He's been around for over half a millennium.”
 
“I bet people wish they knew your secret to your long life,” Seori commented and Ceon nodded his head.
 
“Humans have tried to figure that out for generations. Many are terrified of death and they wish to avoid it. In Lord Rama's realm we still get an occasional traveler challenging my lord to a dual. They believe that the prize of the dual will be the secret to our longevity. Unfortunately, all the traveler gets from his greed is a swift death,” Ceon replied.
 
“Is there some sort of secret?”
 
“Not really. We were just designed to outlast humans. I don't know why. It is not my place to question the gods.”
 
“I'd forgotten how quaint these country roads can look. You know some of the more advanced towns have stone streets. Apparently the church makes criminals lay the stones as form of punishment,” Rama commented. “I suppose it's not much different than how we upkeep our roads.”
 
“I don't think they use the same incentive you use my lord,” Ceon said and Rama nodded his head.
 
“No I'm sure they don't. They'd be afraid of breaking some law. In extreme cases, people who commit crimes of the church are stripped of every form of pleasure and doomed to spend the rest of their life atoning for their sins. You don't keep good help that way. No one can stay happy for long if they cannot allow themselves a little frivolity every now and again. I sometimes wonder how that Maestro survives. Studying scriptures and praying all day...striving for a better life is fine but it means nothing if you can't enjoy it.”
 
“A joyless soul is worse than an empty one, my lord.”
 
“So true, Ceon, but I suppose we can make observations like this only because we have lived longer.”
 
“It will be getting dark in a few hours. How much farther do we have until we reach this campsite?” Aerith inquired and Rama shrugged.
 
“I can't say for certain. It's been awhile since I've been up here after all,” Rama replied then glanced back at him. “Why? Are you getting tired dear Aerith?”
 
“I wish he'd stop calling me that.”
 
“You are the only one he refers to in such a manner,” Ceon said and Aerith sighed.
 
“I didn't need to know that. No I'm fine, Lord Rama. I just thought Seori might be getting tired. I don't think she's used to this long distance traveling.”
 
“I'm fine,” Seori said. “I want you to rescue your lord as soon as possible.”
 
“Thank you but it will take us some time to prepare. Rushing blindly in is foolish. Besides, I'm quite certain the stage hasn't even arrived there yet. We were only a day behind it when we left,” Aerith said and Rama frowned.
 
“They could have gone by boat. There is a large river near the edge of Kanota's lands is there not?” he inquired and Aerith nodded his head.
 
“There is. It's one of the longest in the land. It ends in the sea close to your boundary I believe, but it takes a sharp turn away from Blood Hill and travels quite a ways into the west. If Phyana wanted to go by boat, he would have to pass through a large bandit stronghold. I do not think he would be that desperate.”
 
“His only other option would be to travel on foot. Chances are he'd be using roads approved by the church which would mean he'd still have to go a bit out of his way. We have a good chance of getting what we need and reaching the cathedral before anything happens to Eketa.”
 
“That is my most heartfelt wish.”