Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Hada ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Twilight was waning when the party reached the outskirts of Hada. Rama glanced at his men then waved them off in dismissal. Aerith watched them scatter then glanced at Seori.
 
“Won't it seem suspicious for us to be traveling with her?” he inquired and Rama shrugged his shoulders.
 
“Do we have any other alternative? As long as she gets a separate room, there's sure to be no problems. Follow me. Ceon and the others will meet up with us tomorrow morning,” Rama said and Seori looked worried.
 
“Are they going to cause trouble?” she asked and Rama glanced at her.
 
“My men would do nothing to disgrace me. They are fully aware of what happens when they disobey.”
 
“Lord Rama can become quite brutal,” Aerith commented and Rama smiled.
 
“How high is your threshold of pain dear Aerith?”
 
“Why does it matter to you?”
 
“I was just asking for future reference. Now come on. Let's go. I am quite fatigued and I'm sure you are as well.”
 
Rama began walking and Aerith became aware that the woman of the town were watching Rama intently. What were they making such a big deal about? Perhaps they had never seen a redhead before. Rama led them down a side street then up to a large inn. He held open the door for Aerith and Seori then stepped inside.
 
“This is a fancy inn,” Aerith commented and Rama shrugged his shoulders.
 
“Well you didn't expect me to stay in some run-down inn did you?” Rama asked as he walked up to the desk. “Two rooms please. One for the lady and one for myself and my friend.”
 
“Separate beds? I'm sorry. It's a force of habit to ask that. Of course you'll want separate beds,” the woman at the desk said and Rama looked somewhat disappointed.
 
“Yes, of course separate. There isn't anything between us after all. It's ludicrous. It'll just be for the night. We plan on resuming our travels in the morning.”
 
“Where are you heading?”
 
“We will be traveling east. Oh, how late is the restaurant open? We're a bit hungry.”
 
“The restaurant closes at seven.”
 
“Hmm. I guess we'll only have enough time to bathe then dress for dinner.”
 
“We don't have luggage,” Aerith said and Rama glanced at him.
 
“A mere detail even though it really is tacky to come to any sort of inn without luggage. People tend to wonder about your occupation. Here is your key, Miss Seori,” Rama said and handed a key to Seori.
 
“Thank you,” she said and the desk clerk glanced at her.
 
“Ah, you must be making a pilgrimage to Nayare,” she commented and Seori nodded her head.
 
“Yes but we plan on stopping off in a few other locations first. These two have never been to the east so I thought I would show them some of the sights.”
 
“Ah I see. I hope you will have a safe journey.”
 
“What am I doing?! I'm lying!” Seori whispered as Rama took the other key from the clerk.
 
“Sometimes it is necessary to lie,” Aerith replied as Rama ushered them to a staircase.
 
“We have the two rooms at the end of the hall. Taking separate baths will take a long time, Aerith. Perhaps we should take one together,” he suggested and Aerith glanced back at him.
 
“I'd rather not. I thought I might have to step in and say something earlier though. You were really offended but what the clerk said, weren't you? What are you going to do about your clothes, though? It's not like you to wear the same outfit to dinner.”
 
“I'll have to suffer for the night. Ceon will have fresh clothes for me in the morning. I also ordered him to get you a new wardrobe.”
 
“You don't know my size.”
 
“I think my estimate will be pretty close though. Aerith dear I don't want to see you in that tacky robe this entire journey. Doesn't Eketa have any sort of fashion sense? We will come for you when we're ready to eat, Miss Seori,” Rama said as Seori began climbing the stairs.
 
“I would certainly appreciate that,” Seori said and Aerith looked at his robe.
 
“This is my traveling robe. What's wrong with it?” he asked and Rama forced himself not to laugh.
 
“What's wrong with it? Aerith dear, it's showing its age. The bottom is frayed and the sleeves are stained. You look like a commoner,” Rama replied as he placed the key into the lock.
 
“Well I couldn't bring anything along with me while I searched.”
 
“You do wash that thing don't you?”
 
“Of course I do. I wash it myself.”
 
“Well I suppose I can't fault you for being industrious, but really Aerith you need to update your look.”
 
Rama closed the door behind Aerith and began unbuttoning his coat. Aerith sat down on the edge of a bed and sighed. He really felt uncomfortable sleeping in the same room as Rama but there was no other way. Rama wanted to know the story about Kanota and Aerith did not want his story of Blood Hill to be shared with an audience. He watched Rama neatly fold his coat then place it on a chair then glanced away when Rama began unbuttoning his shirt.
 
“Would you rather take a bath first, dear Aerith?” Rama inquired and Aerith shrugged his shoulders.
 
“It doesn't matter to me. You can go first. I know you take great pride in your appearance,” Aerith replied.
 
“Eketa does too, doesn't he?”
 
“To some extent, yes. Now what is with this side trip you want to take?”
 
“There is a demon who lives on a mountain not too far from Kanota's castle. There is perhaps three days travel distance between the two. He has done extensive research on the church and he can tell us whether or not it is possible for the church to control your beloved master.”
 
“I am merely devoted, nothing more.”
 
“Yet you're willing to do anything for him and anything with him.”
 
“I never said that! That's not the reason why I am so close to him!”
 
“I see. Well tell me the story then.”
 
“I thought you were hungry.”
 
“I am. This tale seems like it will be a lengthy one so I suppose I will let the issue rest until night. You wouldn't happen to have a brush in that robe of yours, would you?”
 
“No,” Aerith replied and Rama sighed.
 
“I let Ceon leave much too early then. I cannot stand getting tangles in my crimson tresses. Perhaps that woman has one,” Rama said as he walked towards the door.
 
“You'd better not ask her in the state of undress you're in. People would question the validity of the pilgrimage story Seori told.”
 
“They would not question my motives if they knew me. Women can be great trouble at times. Again, it looks like I will have to suffer tonight.”
 
“You know, hearing you like this sometimes makes it hard for me to imagine how bloody you can be on a battlefield,” Aerith commented as Rama turned away from the door and walked towards the bathroom.
 
“When was the last time you witnessed me on a battlefield?” Rama inquired as he pulled off his boots. “Damn! None of my men are around to give them a decent shining! I do hope the food they serve here is exquisite. I think that will be the only thing that will make up for this terrible evening.”
 
“You were the one who released your men when you did. Now as for when I saw you on a battlefield last, it was ten years ago. Lord Eketa spent some time on your beaches.”
 
“Ah yes. I remember that. Some pirates had tried to take control of one of my ports. Stupid people though. With one well placed spell, their entire ship was in flames and when I found the human that organized the attack...”
 
“You burned him to ashes on the spot.”
 
“I thought it was suitable punishment for the crime. Human flesh does not burn pleasantly though. Can you imagine what that woman would say if she heard us talking like this?”
 
“I can. At least she's becoming more aware that the church is not as holy as he had previously believed,” Aerith said then walked to the window when he heard Rama taking off his pants.
 
“I do hope they provide the necessities for a bath. My hair so needs a good cleaning,” Rama said as he walked into the bathroom. “Oh they do. I would expect as much for what I paid for this evening. I shan't take long, dear Aerith.”
 
Aerith sighed as he took off his robe then ran his fingers through his hair. He gazed at his simple attire, a black shirt and black pants then frowned. He could not imagine himself in clothes similar to what Rama wore. Rama spent thousands on his clothes. Aerith supposed that if he had been given the opportunity to become a demon lord, he would care greatly about his clothes but fate had not given him the chance. He stretched his arms then opened the window and gazed out at the town. He had once lived in a town such as this. It was as close to the boundary line as his father could bear to put them. His mother had not been the true wife of his father. She had been someone whom his father had quite fancied. When word got around that she was expecting, his father had shipped them out to the boarder instead of decreeing the usual sentence for bearing a child outside of marriage, death. Aerith grew up in this quiet town with only the stories of his father told to him by his mother. He loved his mother dearly and he did not fault his father for making the decision he made but he was not prepared for the shock he received when Eketa came into his life. Eketa had stopped in Aerith's hometown for the night and they had become acquainted when Aerith was returning home from hunting.
 
Eketa had left before dawn the next morning and Aerith had thought he would never see him again but he had thought wrong. Eketa met with Kanota and mentioned Aerith. Kanota struck up an offer with Eketa as a means of keeping his crime silent. For five hundred thousand sovereigns, Eketa purchased Aerith from Kanota. In the beginning, Aerith resented Eketa for buying him like some sort of livestock but as time went on, Aerith became quite devoted to his master. He was even more grateful when the tragedy of Blood Hill came about. If Eketa had not bought him then he could have been one of the many slaughtered that day. His only regret in the entire incident was the fate of his mother. The only crime she had ever committed was to fall in love with a married demon. She had not deserved to be slain in such a way. The crimes members of the church committed were ten times worse than anything his mother had ever done.
 
That is why, Aerith thought as men came around to light the street. That is why I must serve him. In a way I owe him my life.
 
“What's with that look?” Rama asked as he gazed out the window beside Aerith. “You look so far away but there is a beauty there that I've never seen. I wish I could touch that beauty.”
 
“That was a quick bath,” Aerith said then glanced away at the sight of Rama in a towel.
 
“I was in there longer than you realize but I did not stay in for my accustomed time. If I had done that, there wouldn't have been any water for you to use. Does my appearance embarrass you? Surely you've seen Eketa like this.”
 
“Of course I have. I...Never mind what I was going to say next.”
 
“My you're thin. I've forgotten how you look outside of that robe. Aside from that time you were in my realm, I've never seen you without some sort of robe. Now tell me. What were you thinking about?”
 
“More like remembering. I wonder if my father will want to see me again,” Aerith said and Rama laid a hand on his shoulder.
 
“Why wouldn't he?” he inquired and Aerith sighed.
 
“I am not his legitimate son.”
 
“I thought the law was to kill all bastard children.”
 
“My father couldn't bear killing us so he made my mother move out to a town near the boundary of his land. It was about twenty minutes away from what we know as Blood Hill. I grew up there only knowing of my father from the stories my mother would tell me. One day, after I had become fully grown, Lord Eketa appeared in town on his way to see my father. I was returning from hunting and he stopped me. We talked for a bit then we eventually went our separate ways. He left early the next morning and I thought that was the last I would see of him. He returned about a week later and spoke to my mother. Then he ordered me to pack. To keep Lord Eketa quiet he exchanged me for five hundred thousand sovereigns.”
 
“You were traded like a piece of cattle?” Rama asked and Aerith nodded his head. Aerith's eyes grew wide when Rama tightly embraced him.
 
“Please let go of me, Lord Rama,” Aerith said and Rama quickly kissed his cheek.
 
“How can Eketa live with himself knowing the truth? I thought you came into his employ because of your ability not because of a sordid past,” Rama said as he drew away. “When you come under my employ I will treat you as my equal...for the most part. I still can't get over the idea of seeing you in chains.”
 
“Lord Eketa treats me as an equal. He has never taken pity on me. I did resent the deal in the beginning but I have grown to accept it over the years for if it hadn't have been for him, I would have been one of the victims at Blood Hill.”
 
“If that had happened then I would have never known you. If it wasn't for Eketa...Damn him! He's making it harder for me to find fault with him. You'd better take your bath now dear Aerith so I can get dressed. I'm starting to get a chill. I wouldn't mind your assistance in getting dressed but, unfortunately, you are not yet my servant.”
 
Rama watched Aerith walk into the bathroom then began getting dressed. He pushed back his damp crimson hair then put on his shirt and buttoned it then walked out of the room towards Seori's room. He knocked on the door then bowed slightly when she opened it.
 
“I apologize for interrupting you but do you happen to have an extra comb on you? I neglected to have Ceon get me some necessities before I sent him away. Aerith is currently in the bath so we will be going down to dinner shortly,” Rama said and Seori stepped out of the doorway.
 
“Come on in. I'll take care of your hair. It's so long that you couldn't possibly comb it all yourself. Sit down over there.”
 
Rama walked over to a chair and sat down. He pulled back his hair then draped it over the back of the chair. Seori picked up a comb then placed a hand on the back of the chair.
 
“I hope your touch is gentle. My hair is thin,” Rama said as Seori began combing his hair.
 
“Then it should dry quickly. Do all demon lords have long hair?”
 
“No. Kanota doesn't have long hair. It will be interesting to see his reaction to you. He has a severe dislike for the Church of Ildelia due to the Blood Hill incident.”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“What are you apologizing for? You weren't even alive when it happened.”
 
“I know but I am a member of the church. Somehow I felt responsible.”
 
“Apologizing for past events that you did not cause has no meaning but it was nice of you to make the effort.”
 
“What is Lord Eketa really like?”
 
“Why do you want to know?”
 
“Well for these past two years, he has been a cleric working faithfully in the church. Is he truly like that?” Seori inquired and Rama considered the question.
 
“I believe that during his time with you, you were able to see the true essence of his personality. Aerith has told me how he came to be in Eketa's employ and now that I reflect on what you've told me, I believe that Eketa did what he did out of kindness,” Rama replied.
 
“What are you talking about?”
 
“Forgive me. I was referring to something dear Aerith told me.”
 
“Why do you feel so strongly about him?”
 
Rama smiled as she drew her hands away and he stood up. This was one of the amusing things about the church. It was completely beyond their comprehension how a man could have strong feelings for another man. He touched her hand for a moment then walked towards the door.
 
“Some things just cannot be put into words. I will take my leave of you now. I need to finish dressing after all. Aerith and I will come for you shortly,” Rama said and left the room. He walked back to his own room and opened the door just as Aerith put on his robe.
 
“I knew you'd be back. You left your coat here,” Aerith commented as Rama walked over to the chair he had placed his coat on.
 
“I went to see if the woman had a comb. She insisted that she comb out my hair.”
 
“Next time maybe you'd better keep at least Ceon around.”
 
“If I kept Ceon around, I'd have to keep the others around as well. Ceon can keep the others in control. There is no other equal to his rank in that lot. Are you almost ready? I told her we'd come for her soon.”
 
“You need to finish buttoning your coat.”
 
“I also need to put my hair back. I do not like for it to fall forward whilst I eat.”
 
Aerith watched Rama wrap his hair up into a bun then affixed a holder to it. He shook his head and Rama glanced at him.
 
“Something wrong?” he inquired and Aerith shook his head a second time.
 
“No. It's just you look like a woman like that,” he replied.
 
“I don't care what the humans think I look like but I can't believe you see me as a woman.”
 
“Maybe if you tried it another way?”
 
Rama looked at his reflection in the mirror and shrugged.
 
“I suppose,” he said and took down his hair. He then wrapped it in a different fashion then affixed the holder to it. “Is that better?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Good now let's get Miss Seori so we can eat. Out of curiosity, how are you going to explain her to your father?”
 
“I don't know. I've never spoken to him before.”
 
“That's right. I've always noticed that the two of you looked at each other at the Gathering but you never converse. I just thought it was because you didn't match his social status but now I know it was because of something deeper...”
 
“And I expect you to keep that to yourself,” Aerith said and Rama nodded his head.
 
“Of course I will. The world does not need to know of your hardships,” Rama replied then knocked on Seori's door. Seori opened it and stepped out. “At least you do not have to worry about your lineage.”
 
“Well that didn't take long,” she said.
 
“Aerith was dressed by the time I got back. Now let's go downstairs. I'm sure everyone is quite hungry.”
 
“Your hair looks cute that way.”
 
“I prefer not to eat with it down. To me that seems tacky. I don't mean any offense to you, dear Aerith.”
 
“I know. It's just a part of your personality,” Aerith replied and Rama looked confused.
 
“What exactly do you mean by that?” he inquired.
 
“Well it's just sometimes you tend to remind others around you that you are above them.”
 
“In certain company I am.”
 
“Everyone is equal,” Seori said and Rama folded his arms.
 
“That is not true. If that were true then why isn't everyone equally wealthy?”
 
“That is a materialistic way of gaging equality. Everyone is the same in spirit.”
 
“Unfortunately that is not how most people see equality. That is why this world has so many problems. After all, we live in a world governed by the gods. That is why conflict exists.”
 
“You believe in the gods?”
 
“Well we do have a longer lifespan than you so we have seen proof of their existence.”
 
“I believe it would be wise for us to talk about something non-confrontational. We don't need to invite trouble,” Aerith said and Rama nodded his head.
 
“Yes. Although I could easily destroy any enemy that might come our way, I would much rather save my strength,” Rama said as they walked into the restaurant. He selected a table then held the chair out for Seori. Aerith pulled out his chair then glanced at Rama when he placed a hand on the chair. He reluctantly sat down and allowed Rama to push him forward.
 
“Thank you,” Aerith said as Rama sat down.
 
“You are quite welcome. I certainly hope they have a decent selection of food. I also hope I can eat meat in the way I'm accustomed to.”
 
“You will have to eat it rare. Most places don't serve it raw.”
 
“I can get it raw anywhere back home.”
 
“Well you aren't at home.”
 
“Good evening, could you please make your decisions quickly? The kitchen will be closing in twenty minutes,” A waitress said and Seori looked up.
 
“Do you have any fresh rolls left?” she inquired and the waitress paused.
 
“I believe we have a couple.”
 
“Then I'll take one along with some salad and your soup of the day.”
 
“Very good, miss. What about you...sir?”
 
Rama's eyes flashed at the waitress's pause then forced himself to smile. He supposed he could forgive the human. After all, she was a woman.
 
“Your best cut of meat. Rare please,” he replied then paused. “And I suppose some steamed vegetables. Oh, do you have some good wine? I'm feeling quite expensive today.”
 
“I will check. What about you, sir?”
 
“I'll have what he's having. Make mine rare as well,” Aerith said and the waitress nodded her head.
 
“Very good. I will get them started right on it,” she replied.
 
“I do not think it's flattering for a man to be mistaken for a woman,” Rama commented once the waitress had left. “She certainly is lucky I'm in a forgiving mood.”
 
“Ah, redheads and their temper,” Aerith commented and Rama glanced at him.
 
“I believe there is a saying that claims redheads make the best lovers.”
 
“Some sayings can be exaggerated.”
 
“Um please, if we are supposed to be on a pilgrimage, you can't be so forward with Aerith,” Seori said then nervously wrung her napkin when Rama looked at her. “That type of affection is a crime in the eyes of the church.”
 
“I wish I could have met the fools who made those laws,” Rama commented then glanced away. “Do you think we should leave at dawn?”
 
“I believe that would be best,” Aerith replied and sighed. “I just hope that we will get to him in time. If he dies, I have failed both him and my father.”
 
“Surely Kanota is aware of all the deeds you have done. There's no way he can regret sparing your life.”
 
“Perhaps. I really don't know what to expect when we see him. He could easily imprison us and he would have a cause to do so.”
 
“I don't think he'd be that harsh. You could not control the nature of your birth.”
 
“Please. Let's touch another subject, shall we?”
 
“Very well. I'd forgotten that does not sit well with you,” Rama said then glanced up when the waitress returned with a bottle of wine. “Leave the bottle please.”
 
He uncorked the bottle and poured a small amount into his glass. He placed his hand around the glass and watched the contents slosh back and for for a moment then raised the glass to his lips. Aerith watched him take a small sip then let it sit in his mouth for a few moments.
 
“Is it safe to drink?” Seori inquired and Rama glared at her. Uncultured female. He took another sip then swallowed.
 
“Of course it's safe to drink,” he replied. “I was savoring the taste. I wanted to make certain it was a bottle worthy of consumption. Now hand me your glasses. I will pour what the church allows pilgrims to drink. It will not be a lot, unfortunately, but sacrifices must be made.”
 
He filled the glasses a quarter of the way full and sighed. Why did the church regulate the finer things in life? To the followers of Ildelia, alcohol was a sin and consumption of anything above the allotment automatically condemned a person to the underworld living in torture. An eternity of torture seemed to be an extreme punishment for a little over-indulgence. Besides, the god of the underworld wasn't all that bad. He was one of the deities that supported the existence of demons. Rama wondered, as he gazed at the contents of his glass, if their existence only served as a starting point for the conflict that existed in the world. No, he decided as he took a sip of wine. Humans were perfectly capable of causing mass destruction within their own group.
 
“What's made you so quiet?” Aerith inquired and Rama glanced at him.
 
“Oh nothing,” Rama replied as he set his glass down. “I was just pondering the mysteries of the universe. I see your salad is coming our way.”
 
“You don't eat a lot of vegetables do you?” Seori inquired then glanced at the waitress. “Thank you.”
 
“It is in our nature to prefer meat but we do eat them from time to time,” Rama replied.
 
“It was just you sounded hesitant when you ordered vegetables. That's why I asked.”
 
“Since he lives in the south, he is slightly more partial to fish,” Aerith said and Rama nodded his head.
 
“But it must be fresh. I will not eat it if it is over a day old.”
 
“Fish don't spoil that quickly.”
 
“The taste steadily declines.”
 
“Not if you cook it,” Seori said then glanced away. “Oh. I forgot.”
 
“It's all right,” Aerith said. “You've never spoken with our kind before, have you? Besides Lord Rama has a tendency to get insufferable.”
 
“I should take offense at that statement but if I start holding grudges now, this journey will be a long one,” Rama commented as the waitress returned with Seori's soup.
 
“You could practice some humility.”
 
Rama said nothing as he watched Seori pick up her dinner roll. If only he were Aerith's master then he could give Aerith some much needed punishment in his room tonight. But, Rama noted as he glanced around the room, he could do nothing. Taking advantage of another demon's most trusted servant was a high crime. Rama's desires were not great enough to cloud his sensibilities. He would get his chance for retribution. All he had to do was be patient.
 
“Here come your plates,” Seori commented. “I hope your dish is as good as mine.”
 
“Thank you,” Aerith said as the waitress set the plate in front of him
 
“And here you are sir,” the waitress said, putting a slight emphasis on “sir”.
 
“Thank you,” Rama replied then picked up a fork.
 
“Aren't you going to say grace?” Seori inquired and Rama looked at her.
 
“For what reason?”
 
“Well we are on a pilgrimage. Don't you think it might be appropriate?”
 
“I refuse to pray to someone who got his title from the sacrifices of others.”
 
“Well we could offer a silent prayer to Oneru,” Aerith said and Seori looked shocked.
 
“The god of the underworld?” she asked and Aerith nodded his head.
 
“Yes. It makes the most sense for us.”
 
“Well I suppose he needs some prayers. Not a lot of people pray to him after all,” Rama said and closed his eyes.
 
“Who would want to pray to Oneru? Most people are afraid of him,” Seori said.
 
“I don't see why. Death is a natural course of events.”
 
“You two can be more complacent about death. It takes you longer to see it.”
 
“Not if there is a war involved,” Aerith commented as he picked up his knife. “Seeing the blood when I cut into this is a refreshing sight.”
 
“I will agree with you there,” Rama said as he picked up his napkin and gently wiped his mouth. “I would prefer more of a natural taste but we just can't have everything...”
 
“Do you ever cook your food?” Seori inquired and Rama looked at her.
 
“Sometimes when we're feeling adventurous.”
 
“Do you put spices on it when you cook?”
 
“Well I personally don't cook. I find it tiresome. One of my servants cooks when I feel like having something warm.”
 
“Yes, I really can't see you in a kitchen slaving over a hot stove.”
 
“He is good with knives, just not in that fashion,” Aerith said and Rama glanced at him.
 
“This is true although I prefer using my own abilities in more serious cases. I can be quite ruthless if left to my own devices,” Rama said then resumed eating.
 
“How are you finding your meal? Do you need anything else? The kitchen will be closing for the evening in five minutes. If you would like some dessert, I can get it for you now,” the waitress said and Seori shook her head.
 
“Nothing more for me, thank you,” she replied and the waitress glanced at Rama.
 
“I might be tempted with a bit of sweet bread,” he said then held up a hand. “But not much. Eating a lot of sweets can wreak havoc on one's appearance.”
 
“What about you sir?” the waitress asked and Aerith shook his head.
 
“No thank you. I'm fine,” he replied as Rama placed his hands underneath his chin.
 
“It wouldn't hurt you to gain a little bit of weight or does Eketa like his men thin?” he inquired and Aerith glared at him.
 
“He does not see me like that!” Aerith replied and Rama smiled.
 
“That red in your cheeks enhances your eyes.”
 
“I do hope you're not going to be like this all night.”
 
“I'll behave. I have no intention of committing a serious crime.”
 
“What crime is that?” Seori inquired and Rama looked at her.
 
“Well just as much as it is a crime for me to be the way I am in your holy laws, it is equally criminal for a lord to take advantage of another lord's most trusted servant regardless of gender,” Rama said. “I am not foolish. I do not wish to be sentenced death for a few minutes of enjoyment.”
 
“It wouldn't be a few minutes,” Aerith said and Rama looked interested.
 
“Really? You know, you really intrigue me, dear Aerith.”
 
“Stop calling me that!”
 
“Well if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go upstairs to do some reading,” Seori said and stood up.
 
“I do not remember you bringing a book with you,” Rama said and Seori smiled.
 
“There's a bible in my room. Most inn's have them.”
 
“Really? I was not aware of that.”
 
“Yes. You should have one in your room. But of course, you wouldn't be able to read it.”
 
“That's quite all right. I'm not that interested in how your religion works.”
 
“But if you understood then perhaps you wouldn't need to fight.”
 
“War is like a disease. Getting me to understand would only be treating a symptom. One person, no matter what the species, cannot change the world. Your Ildelia was an idealist in that respect. He wanted equality but it was at the expense of another species. I seriously doubt there will be any remnants of the tragedy that happened over a hundred years ago but I'm sure the face Aerith will wear when we reach Blood Hill will be enough for you to realize how much was lost for the birth of your religion.”
 
“I still believe in the ideals of Ildelia. Nothing you say will make me change my mind.”
 
“Perhaps not but think about those words as you read your book. Pleasant dreams.”
 
He watched her leave then sighed. Idealists. He couldn't understand them. Why did they work so hard to obtain a perfect world when it was impossible? Also, who was to say that their ideal was correct? The world was full of conflicting beliefs and thoughts and to promote one above all others was wrong. So the church wanted to extinguish the demons for their beliefs and the demons wanted to be rid of clerics but he seriously doubted that either group was qualified enough to run the world.
 
“I don't know if I like you better when you're silent,” Aerith commented and Rama looked at him.
 
“I was merely thinking. Thank you miss,” Rama replied as the waitress set his dessert in front of him. “Would you like a taste, dear Aerith?”
 
“I'll use my own fork if you don't mind.”
 
“Suit yourself. I was contemplating why some people believe they can improve the world by themselves. Why do some people believe one idea is better than the others?”
 
“Usually it's because they are dissatisfied with their own life. They believe they can improve it and in turn, improve the lives of others. That's generally how religion is born.”
 
“Please. Let's discuss something else. We're going to hear enough about religion with her along.”
 
“You were the one that allowed her to come along. I really found that strange considering how you feel about women,” Aerith said and Rama waved a hand.
 
“What was I supposed to do? If I had refused, she could have made things more difficult on us,” he replied. “So what do you think of it?”
 
“It's good. It's not something I would have all the time, of course.”
 
“Well of course not. Over-indulgence of anything is harmful. Say, do you think it's safe to have a little more of this wine? I would hate for it to go to waste. After all, we aren't exactly on a pilgrimage.”
 
“No one is looking. I suppose it'd be all right. I can't believe how strict the church is when it comes to alcohol. Why do you know so much about their customs anyway?”
 
“I've learned a lot over the years. Do not think that in any way I approve of what the church does.”
 
“I know you better than that,” Aerith said as Rama filled his glass with wine.
 
“Thank you although you do not know everything about me. There are things even I am hesitant to speak about. After this glass I believe we should retire and get some rest. The dawn will be upon us before long,” Rama said as the waitress returned with the check.
 
“I hope everything was to your approval,” the waitress said and Rama nodded his head.
 
“It was. Here. This should cover the bill and a tip.”
 
“Why thank you sir! That is most generous.”
 
“I always try to leave some sort of gratuity. I don't know how some of these poor souls can make it on their meager wages,” Rama commented as the waitress ran off to show the cook her tip.
 
“Where does all your money come from?” Aerith asked.
 
“From the villages in my realm. Most of the villages work quite harmonious with me although I do have to keep the churches in check from time to time. Some people just aren't happy living in my domain but as you know, I do make quick work of my enemies.”
 
“Yes I am aware of that.”
 
“Don't drink it too quickly dear Aerith or you might run the risk of becoming drunk.”
 
“I know how to drink.”
 
“Yes, I'm sure Eketa has shared many a bottle with you.”
 
“What exactly are you implying?” Aerith inquired and Rama held out his hands.
 
“Why nothing. I can just picture the two of you sipping on wine in his boudoir. Mmm, I do believe I'm getting jealous,” Rama replied and Aerith angrily stood up.
 
“I have told you we aren't like that!”
 
“You're getting overly defensive again. I don't know why you're so upset. I am not saying anything to bring down Eketa's reputation. Well then, I suppose we should call it a night?”
 
“I think we should. Just remember to keep to your side of the room.”
 
“Certainly. I am a man of honor after all.”
 
Aerith muttered to himself as he walked out of the restaurant. Why, out of all the demon lords that could have come to rescue him, why did it have to be Rama? Aerith was unsure he would be able to last the journey with Rama by his side. Granted Rama was wealthy and well-educated but because of his more prominent nature, Aerith found it extremely difficult to work beside him. But, as he kept reminding himself, there had been no other way. Rama was the only one that would have been around to save him simply because of the feelings Aerith tried so hard to ignore. Any other demon lord would not have gone out of his way to rescue him. Most of them would have viewed his capture as hard luck and would have left it at that.
 
“I suppose I should be grateful to you,” Aerith said as he glanced behind him. “You know for rescuing me and all.”
 
“It was nothing,” Rama replied. “After all, once I heard that you had gone to look for your master, I took it upon myself to follow you. Well perhaps not follow you since you began your journey in the north but I did my best to keep tabs on you. I didn't want you getting injured or anything.”
 
“You were the only lord that would have done that aside from my master I mean. I know I resented you rescuing me for certain reasons but I am thankful. After all without you, both of us would have perished.”
 
“Well assisting Eketa was not part of my plan.”
 
“I know that but you're still willing to do so.”
 
“Only because you're going. What I do is solely for you and no one else.”
 
“There is no one else you fancy?” Aerith inquired as Rama opened the door to their room.
 
“How can you even ask something like that? Of course there isn't anyone else. I am quite certain that you will come around to my way of thinking one day,” he replied as he closed the door behind him and began unbuttoning his coat.
 
“Don't you think we need some light in here?”
 
“I suppose.”
 
Rama raised his hand and pointed it at a lamp. He snapped his fingers and the wick inside became alight with flame. He then pulled the clasp out from his hair and shook his head. Aerith removed his traveling robe and laid it at the foot of his bed. Rama ran his fingers through his hair a few times then began unbuttoning his shirt.
 
“Are you going to sleep like that, dear Aerith?” he inquired and Aerith nodded his head.
 
“I don't have to worry about these clothes becoming wrinkled. Also I do not want to expose more of myself than what is proper for you to see,” Aerith replied and Rama shook his head.
 
“You sound like a woman worried about her chastity. I have promised that I will do nothing. I am not some lowly dog who has absolutely no morals.”
 
“Also this is the way I've become accustomed to sleeping in the past year.”
 
“I just want you to be comfortable.”
 
“I'll be fine.”
 
“Well then, I guess there's nothing more to say. Sleep well, dear Aerith.”
 
Rama watched Aerith pull the blanket over his head then walked over to the other bed. He sat on the edge and picked up the bible that sat on the table. He flipped through the pages for a moment then tossed it back onto the table. He stood up and pushed down the covers then sighed. If he were home, a servant would have turned his bed down for him. He placed a hand on the bed then drew back. It was cold. Oh if only he hadn't released Ceon when he had... Rama closed his eyes and waved his hand back and forth over the mattress. He would have to rely on his own powers to make sleeping bearable. He then tested it and lay down. His eyes grew wide at the hardness of the bed and sighed again. Hopefully he would be able to get some sleep in this sub-standard bed. Rama snapped his fingers and the flame extinguished. If he was going to try to get any sleep at all, then he might as well try for it now.