Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Rama ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The morning hues of the sky were a mixture of crimson and purple, a sign that spelled danger in a coastal village and uniquely enough, spelled disaster for Ralonu even tough the sea was at least two months traveling time away. The disaster that Ralonu awaited had a name. Rama. Demon Lord Rama to be exact. Rama folded his arms as he gazed at the outskirts of Ralonu then grabbed one of his minions.
 
“Are you certain Aerith is here?” he inquired in a deep tone with an accent that suggested he was of the highest of breeding.
 
“Y-yes my lord. We spotted him sleeping in the woods two nights ago,” the minion replied and Karna relaxed his grasp. The minion scrambled for cover as Rama glanced around. He pushed back some strands of crimson hair and sighed.
 
“To have come to a place like this...he must really be desperate. Aerith my naive little flower, why must you blindly follow Eketa? Why do you not see that I am much better suited in being your master? You would not need your own room if you were in my employ.”
 
“My lord clerics are coming!”
 
“Clerics? How vulgar. Well then I suppose I'll have to clean up a bit while I search for Aerith. Make yourselves useful. Look around and find where Aerith's aura is the strongest.”
 
“We do not take kindly to signs of aggression!” Phyana said, his hands held out in a sign designed to keep evil at bay.
 
“This is not an army. This is my entourage. I do not do any long distance traveling without them,” Rama said.
 
“We do not wish to battle you.”
 
“That suits me fine. If I had come here to fight, I would have been more prepared. Now tell me where you've hidden him.”
 
“I don't know who you're talking about. I have hidden no one. You're simply imagining things,” Phyana said and Rama folded his arms.
 
“I find it odd that you've come out to meet me with half a dozen clerics. Although I'm sure you sensed my aura, you would not have been able to identify it without some help,” Rama replied.
 
“There is no demon here. You are the first we've seen in years.”
 
“My lord!” a demon wearing a tan shirt said and Rama glanced at him.
 
“Don't tug on the suit, Ceon. Now what is it?” he inquired.
 
“We believe Lord Eketa has been captured!”
 
“Eketa here?! Damn it! Aerith will never work for me if his master still exists.”
 
“If there were another demon lord about, wouldn't you sense him? Your men are making a mistake. The man they saw is a new cleric that I'm sending to Nayare for religious training. He has become a mite...troublesome so I'm sending him to the Maestro.”
 
“My men would not lie to me. A priest however...”
 
Phyana's face paled as Rama raised a hand. Rama gazed coldly at the priest as he waited for the rest of his men to return. A thin demon ran up to Rama and tapped his shoulder.
 
“We have found traces of Aerith's aura outside the church,” he said and Rama glanced at him.
 
“Any sign of blood?” Rama inquired.
 
“None. It is quite possible that he is being held inside the church. That would explain why we cannot sense him.”
 
“I wonder how Aerith got into this predicament. He is not one to be captured so easily. Priest! What do you know of this? I warn you, do not do anything devious. I've had over three hundred years experience with your kind. Where is Aerith?”
 
“Why would we house a demon?” Phyana asked as Rama slowly lowered his hand.
 
“Escort me to the church. Do not think the wall of your establishment will weaken me somehow. I have taken precautions to protect myself in just such an event.”
 
“What shall we do my lord?” a demon inquired and Rama glanced at him.
 
“Look around,” Rama said. “Check out the priest's story about the cleric. I do not think dear Aerith would waste his time with a cleric unless there was something deeper involved.”
 
Meanwhile Aerith opened his eyes and groaned in pain. He tried to move his arms then found that they were still tied behind his back. He stood up with some difficulty then bared his fangs when he stepped over his own hair. He had never gotten himself into such a predicament before. Obviously this church had been expecting a visit from a high-ranking demon eventually because he was unable to escape from his cell. He had attempted to use all of his incantations the previous night only to have a few backfire on him. There was, he eventually concluded, some sort of barrier that nulled his dark magic. If only his hands were free then he could use his claws...
 
Aerith gazed up at the ceiling when he felt Rama's aura. He was inside the church. He really didn't want Rama to rescue him but there was no other choice. Aerith closed his eyes and concentrated on intensifying his aura. Even though he was in a room with a magical barrier it might be possible to emit enough energy for Rama to sense it.
 
Please Lord Rama, Aerith thought as he fell to his knees. Right now you are my only hope. No, our only hope. You must rescue me so I can find my lord. Please show compassion for Lord Eketa just this once.
 
“Now as you can see, no demon here,” Phyana said as he opened the door to his office. Rama stepped inside then walked over to the chair Aerith had sat in. He picked up a long strand of hair then glanced at the door behind Phyana's desk. This priest was obviously hiding something.
 
“Where does that lead?” Rama inquired and Phyana held out his hands.
 
“It is merely the closet. I need some place to store my robes. Contrary to what you may believe, we do not own just one robe. I'm quite certain you use closets yourself. Based on your attire I would surmise that you take great pride in your wardrobe.”
 
“My wardrobe is none of your concern.”
 
“I was only trying to make light of the situation. Your men obviously made a mistake now if you don't mind leaving, I have some scripture that needs attending to.”
 
Rama folded his arms then frowned when he felt a twinge of dark energy. That had to be Aerith. Rama walked over to the desk and shoved it to the side sending papers flying in all directions. Phyana protested loudly and Rama gazed coldly at him.
 
“That desk will be the least of your worries if I find that you've harmed him in any way,” Rama snapped as he opened the door. Phyana took the opportunity and bolted out of the office and the church. He ran down the street like a frightened rabbit until he reached the center of town where a stage was just about to leave. He hailed the driver and the driver looked at him.
 
“Something wrong, Father?” he inquired as Phyana climbed up beside him.
 
“A demon lord has invaded the church! We must go to Nayare and inform the Maestro at one!” Phyana cried and the driver snapped his reigns.
 
“It's a good thing Lakel was traveling to Nayare today, isn't it Father?”
 
“Yes. I would indeed call this a blessing. Now move out! We have no time to waste! We do not want anything happening to the church. We must get the Maestro's blessing and return here with Holy Knights before too much damage happens!”
 
Inside the church, far below the view of a devout follower of Ildelia, Rama stood staring at the cell door which Aerith was being held behind. He mused at the irony of Ildelia and the scriptures he ordained. Teaching people that everyone is created equal then to have a prisoner's cell at the bottom of the church....The church was no more evil than what they made his people out to be. Rama turned his attention back to the door and frowned. He could sense the magical seal and he was trying to decide which spell would be the most effective. He raised a hand and began concentrating. Whichever spell he used, he would have to make sure the fallout did not harm Aerith in any way.
 
“Stop!” Seori cried and Rama glanced behind him.
 
“Why are you down here, woman?” Rama asked and Seori lowered her head.
 
“I-I can open it for you.”
 
“Why would you do that? You are a child of the church are you not?”
 
“You have opened my eyes to some of the darker deeds of the order. I knew something had happened when Father Phyana returned without Aerith. Then Lakel was suddenly taken away and now the Father has disappeared as well...As much as I believe in the scriptures of Ildelia I do not believe they should be carried out in this manner. We should not commit acts of aggression against you simply because of your species. Ildelia tells us that everyone is equal in his eyes and I believe that. If there was no point to your existence in this world, you would not be here.”
 
“Do not waste your time preaching to me, woman. I will allow you to unlock the seal. Since you call him by his name, I assume he trusts you to some extent. I will do the same.”
 
Rama stepped aside and watched Seori hold out her hands, her fingertips pointed directly at the seal. She recited a holy verse and Rama watched a bright light fill the doorway. Seori lowered her hands as the light faded and opened the door. Rama rushed into the room and fell to his knees when he saw Aerith lying unconscious on the wooden floor.
 
“Oh my dear Aerith! To see your beauty like this...That priest will pay! I swear of it! But first I must awaken you,” Rama said then leaned forward to kiss Aerith.
 
“Don't!” Seori cried and Rama glanced up. “I'm sorry but I cannot allow you to desecrate this church by committing that crime.”
 
“What crime?”
 
“If you wish to be useful Lord Rama, why don't you untie me?” Aerith inquired and Rama turned away.
 
“Tied up...yes I think I would like to have you like that when you are delivered to me only I think I would like you better in chains,” Rama said and Aerith bared his fangs.
 
“Just untie me! Also I do not belong to you so long as there is a chance my master is alive.”
 
“Eketa is a fool. I would never abandon you.”
 
“He did not abandon me! You don't know what he was up against! He was up against at least a dozen Elite Ildelian Knights!”
 
“He should have been better prepared. Oh dear Aerith don't look at me like that. After all, I did rescue you.”
 
“She's the one that broke the seal.”
 
“Which she would not have been able to do if I had not shown up.”
 
“All right you have a point,” Aerith said then began rubbing his sore hands. He protested when Rama grabbed one of his wrists and began massaging it.
 
“Your loyalty to your master would make dogs jealous,” Rama commented and Aerith glared at him.
 
“Hold your tongue! I will not allow anyone to speak of Lord Eketa like that!”
 
“I was not insulting him. I find it admirable that you're willing to do anything for your master. I hope you will give me the same devotion when the time comes.”
 
Aerith pulled his hands away from Rama and turned around in disgust. Rama ran a hand through his long hair and sighed. Aerith tightly shut his eyes as he tried to keep his temper. This was exactly why he resented being rescued by Rama.
 
“Your beautiful hair has lost its shine. You must take a bath before we leave this quaint village,” Rama commented as he continued to stroke Aerith's hair.
 
“Aerith Lakel was taken to Nayare! Don't you want to go after him?” Seori inquired and Rama looked at her.
 
“Who is Lakel? I thought Eketa was the one that had been captured. At least that is what my men told me,” he said as Aerith turned around.
 
“It may very well be him. I am not sure. I have asked him twice to show me a sign but both times I have received nothing. Surely if that cleric is my master I would have known by now,” Aerith said and Rama folded his arms.
 
“You are forgetting that Eketa can be quite subtle in his hints. Woman, what were the duties of that cleric when he was here?”
 
“I have a name,” Seori said and Rama glanced at her.
 
“Yes, I suppose you would have a name,” Rama replied as he looked Aerith over. He was so radiant...
 
“It's Seori.”
 
“Fine. Now what were the duties of the cleric when he was here?”
 
“Well he had to polish the statue of Ildelia.”
 
“I cannot picture Eketa polishing that but show us the statue. There might be a clue or, as you put it dear Aerith, sign there.”
 
“Would you stop using terms of endearment?!” Aerith demanded as he walked out of his cell.
 
“I cannot control the fire that burns inside me every time I see you,” Rama replied. “I just want to hold you close, dear Aerith. I just want to feel you near me.”
 
“If you two will please follow me,” Seori said and began walking.
 
“I wasn't aware redheads could be so annoying,” Aerith commented as Rama placed his hands behind his neck.
 
“Redheads are usually quite spirited,” Rama replied then turned his attention to Aerith's robes. “I bet you would look dashing in a suit. Come to my realm sometime and my tailors will make you one. Or we could just wait until you are in my employ. It shouldn't be too much longer.”
 
“Do you have something planned?” Aerith inquired and Rama looked shocked.
 
“How could you think something like that? I have no quarrels with Eketa aside from you. How did a demon of your notoriety come to be in his employ? Eketa can be quite a bore at times.”
 
“I don't have to tell you how I got into his employ.”
 
“The statue is here in this sanctuary,” Seori said as she opened a pair of large wooden doors.
 
“I see it. Is this made of gold?” Rama asked and Seori shrugged her shoulders.
 
“I don't know.”
 
Aerith walked over to the statue and knelt at the base of it. Rama walked up to the statue and placed his hand on the shoulder. It was cold to the touch. How could the church afford such an expensive statue? Seori walked up to Rama and pulled on his sleeve.
 
“Please. You're getting fingerprints on it,” she said and Rama looked at her.
 
“Do you realize how much a statue like this is worth? I was under the impression a church was always short in the ways of finance. That's why they are always taking offerings during services,” Rama said. “But of course I should not be surprised. Humans are a greedy lot. I don't think they can stand seeing someone else be in power. That is why they wage war with us.”
 
“Lord Rama please look down here,” Aerith said and knelt beside him.
 
“Did you find something? Your eyes are beautiful in this light.”
 
“Please be serious. Do you see this etching near the back of the statue? I am sure that is his handwriting.”
 
“He was only able to write a few words but I recognize his style. Also, who else would know how to write in our script? I sincerely doubt any member of the church would waste their time studying our writing techniques.”
 
“You have your own way of writing?” Seori inquired and Rama glanced up at her.
 
“Why would we want the church to be able to read our books? The church is the same in that regard. Your sacred tomes are written in a language we cannot understand,” Rama said and stood up. He smoothed down his coat then offered his hand to Aerith.
 
“I am capable of getting up on my own,” Aerith replied.
 
“I didn't want you to step on your beautiful hair. Well I should think it's obvious where you wish to go. I will go with you. Even though I do not wish to see you reunited with Eketa, I am aware that you alone will not be able to break into the cathedral.”
 
“So you will go to Nayare to rescue Lakel?” Seori asked as Aerith pushed back his hair.
 
“Not directly. We will not be able to go to Blood Hill without help,” he replied and Seori looked confused.
 
“Why do you call it that?”
 
“About a hundred and fifty years ago, Ildelia came upon a land inhabited purely of demons. Feeling that he was driven by some divine power, Ildelia and his army lay siege on the unsuspecting demons. Many were killed in that battle. His men showed no mercy to man, woman, or child. Few fled that bloodied land and aptly named it Blood Hill. Ildelia was hailed as a noble warrior slaying the evil in the name of the gods. I do not know what happened to that man after that but as years went by your people named it Nayare and built a cathedral to honor Ildelia's brave deeds. From there the church order as you know it began,” Rama said and Seori's eyes grew wide in shock.
 
“That...that cannot be true!” she gasped and Aerith glanced away from the statue.
 
“I had family and friends near that area. None of them had a chance,” Aerith said and Rama looked at him.
 
“I was not aware you came from that far east,” he said as Aerith walked out of the sanctuary.
 
“You have had no reason to know of my home. Now we must find a place to rest. It would not be a good idea to show up at Kanota's house looking like peasants.”
 
“Why would we visit Kanota?”
 
“He is my father.”
 
“Demon Lord Kanota is your father?! Then you have the qualifications to be a demon lord yourself. How...?” Rama asked and Aerith sighed.
 
“Let us find a place to stay for the night. Then I may tell you,” he replied. “But you must be patient. Retelling that part of my past is difficult for me.”
 
“I have infinite amounts of patience when it comes to you dear Aerith. Allow me to book the rooms at the inn.”
 
“I don't think so.”
 
“Well I'm quite certain your story is not something you want everyone to hear. If we share a room you will be able to talk freely.”
 
“If I do that you have to promise not to lay a hand on me.”
 
“I wouldn't even think of committing such an act in these conditions. My eventual rendezvous with you will be in the utmost splendor.”
 
“Do your people have laws?” Seori inquired and Aerith looked at her.
 
“Our laws are basic. We do not believe in murder and we do not believe in taking advantage of someone who is already spoken for. Also...” Aerith said then stopped when Seori touched his hand. Rama glared at her for a moment then folded his arms. Humans...
 
“Your laws are similar to the laws of Ildelia. I wonder why.”
 
“He probably stole them. Miss, regardless of species, there are certain things that are just wrong and they will always be wrong,” Rama said and Seori looked at him.
 
“I told you I have a name,” she replied and Aerith drew away.
 
“Lord Rama, if she is to travel with us, perhaps you should use her name,” Aerith said as some of Rama's men ran up to him.
 
“My lord! Eketa has been...” one cried and Rama waved a hand in dismissal.
 
“Yes, yes. I am aware of that,” he said.
 
“What would you like us to do? Shall we dispose of this woman you've captured?”
 
“No. She will be coming with us.”
 
“You have made a woman of the church your slave? Isn't that risky, my lord?”
 
“She is not my slave.”
 
“I'll watch out for her,” Aerith said and the demon looked at him.
 
“Oh of course! Forgive me for overstepping my boundary,” he said and bowed low.
 
“Where is Ceon?” Rama inquired and Ceon walked up to him.
 
“Right here my lord,” he replied as he bowed slightly. “What do you wish of me?”
 
“What is the status of this village?”
 
“Everyone has locked themselves up tight behind their doors. Shall we raze this town?”
 
“No. They have done nothing wrong.”
 
“But my lord, the priest has abducted Eketa. Shouldn't we use this place as a warning to him?”
 
“That won't be necessary. I'm certain he knows we will be after him. Ceon how far away is the next town?”
 
“We should make it by nightfall. May I inquire as to what you're planning?” Ceon asked.
 
“We will be traveling east to Kanota's realm,” Rama replied and Ceon's eyes grew wide.
 
“Kanota's?! But why would he see you? He has not spoken to you since that incident at the last Gathering.”
 
“I thought you didn't take anyone to the Gathering,” Aerith said. “You were always trying to make a bargain with Lord Eketa.”
 
“I give the highlights of the evening to some of my more trusted men,” Rama replied.
 
“What gathering?” Seori inquired and Aerith glanced at her.
 
“Every year there is a Demonic Gathering. Demons of the highest ranks are there,” Aerith replied and Rama held up his hand when Seori opened her mouth to ask a question.
 
“We haven't held one in a couple of years though. A lot of the demon lords were having trouble in their land so we had to cancel. This year is going to be big because we need to make up for two years,” Rama commented and Ceon looked suspiciously at Seori.
 
“Should you be talking so freely about this in front of a member of the church?” he inquired.
 
“I am fully aware of how members of the church act.”
 
“I wonder if the Maestro knows of this,” Seori said and Rama folded his arms.
 
“He knows of it but the Elite Ildelian Knights have never found our meeting place. That location is kept secret between all the demon lords,” Rama replied.
 
“But now he has my master,” Aerith said and Rama looked at him.
 
“I would not panic dear Aerith. It seems to me that battle he was in wounded him greatly. That is why he cannot remember however it is uncommon for demon lords to get amnesia after a serious battle. That concerns me a little bit. In any event, the Maestro will be unable to gain any information from him in his current state.”
 
“Supposing there is a way he can get that information. Supposing there is a way he can use my master against us.”
 
“Do you mean like a puppet? Aerith you've seen Elite Ildelian Knights before. The set Eketa fought, did they seem any different?”
 
“I can't exactly remember. I was in the midst of the fighting as well.”
 
“What are you thinking, my lord?” Ceon inquired and Rama glanced at him.
 
“I suggest we make a small side trip before we meet Kanota,” Rama replied then stretched. “But first, let's start making our way towards Hada. The longer we wait, the later it will become.”