Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Captured ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Aerith graciously took the mug of tea the priest handed him then leaned back slightly in his seat. He watched the priest serve Seori and Lakel then took a small sip from his mug. The tea had a slightly fruity flavor and Aerith wondered what region the leaves had come from for it seemed quite foreign to him.
 
“So you must be the one Lakel ran into last night,” Phyana said and Aerith nodded his head.
 
“It was my initial intent to pass through this town. When I ran into your cleric, I felt something familiar. There was an aura about him that I recognized but it was only for a moment. I am not fully certain but I believe he might be the one I've been searching for these two long years,” Aerith said then took another sip of tea. “It is quite good. My compliments.”
 
“You are of higher breeding than the demons I last saw around here.”
 
“You mean he is a demon?” Seori inquired and Lakel sighed loudly.
 
That's what I've been telling you isn't it? Now confess to all the horrible things you've done,” Lakel said and Phyana held up a hand.
 
“We are not supposed to judge people that way Lakel. Now this energy I felt earlier, is it coming for you?” Phyana asked and Aerith sighed.
 
“More like he's coming to meet me. He's been after my services for many years. I can assure you that he's not coming with destruction on his mind. However, I would like to speak with you alone if I may.”
 
“Very well. Follow me to my office. Do not worry Lakel. I will be fine,” Phyana said as Aerith stood up.
 
“But...” Lakel said and Phyana shook his head.
 
“I'll be fine.”
 
Aerith followed Phyana into the office and Phyana offered him a seat. Aerith took it and clasped his hands together. He glanced around the office and tried not to show this apprehension towards the holy energy he felt.
 
“You certainly are brave for coming here,” Phyana commented as he sat down. “Most demons refuse to come so close to a church. Even fewer come inside. Now please tell me your suspicions on Lakel.”
 
“Surely you've noticed certain things about him that set him apart from your other clerics,” Aerith said and Phyana nodded his head.
 
“Indeed I have but if he is a demon then I should have sensed his aura the moment I came into contact with him.”
 
“Not necessarily. It is possible for a demon lord to survive by greatly reducing his aura. Those gravely wounded in a battle use this technique in order to heal.”
 
“And you think Lakel is a lord.”
 
“I cannot be certain. The cases I am aware of do not involve amnesia. However I do know that man is not a mere human. His hands, the way he eats meat, even his mannerisms at the table seem to point to demon. While I hope that he is indeed my master, he has yet to show me any concrete proof. All I know is that his presence here might cause trouble when Rama shows up.”
 
“Demon Lord Rama is the one coming here?! I must inform the Maestro of this.”
 
“I do not think letting the inhabitants of Blood Hill know about this situation is a good idea,” Aerith said and Phyana looked at him.
 
“Blood Hill? I don't know what you're talking about. Ildelia's capitol is Nayare,” Phyana said and stood up. “Besides, I must report it. It is in the rules. You however, I must place into custody until I can test your theory about Lakel. This could, after all, be some sort of a sinister plot.”
 
Phyana picked up a small bell and rang it. Aerith stood up in shock when two clerics appeared holding a sacred rope between them and chanting a holy verse. Aerith clutched his ears in pain and fell to his knees. They were chanting a verse to weaken his spirit. How could he have believed that he could meet a priest on neutral ground? The clerics tightly secured Aerith's hands behind his back with the rope and forced him to his feet.
 
“Please show our guest to his private room in the basement,” Phyana said and Aerith glared at him.
 
“Why does this not make you a criminal? If the tables were turned, I would be executed for committing such an act,” Aerith said and Phyana folded his arms.
 
“You forget that I am a priest and you are a demon, the most repulsive creatures in the world. I am doing this as an act of mercy. Now get him out of my sight! I need to arrange transportation for Lakel to go to Nayare. They'll know what to do with him up there.”
 
“Rama will be most displeased if he finds out you've harmed me in any way.”
 
“He won't find out.”
 
Master Eketa please. If you can hear me at all please let me know that you're all right. I would much rather have you rescue me than Rama but it looks like that cannot be avoided. I should have known better than to trust a priest but I didn't exactly have a choice. Please my dear master. Provide me some comfort.
 
Aerith protested slightly when he was forced through a door near the back of Phyana's office then winced in pain when of the clerics smacked his face. His eyes burned with anger then gasped when the other cleric held a talisman near him. He closed his eyes as he tried to calm his nerves so that he could think of a way out of this predicament.
 
“Keep it up demon scum and you won't make it to your room,” one of the clerics said and Aerith bared his fangs.
 
“Do you really think your weak spells can keep me in line? You have no idea who I am,” Aerith said then gagged when the cleric held out the talisman again.
 
“I think we're doing a pretty good job so far. Now shut up. Phyana didn't tell us to dispose of you...yet.”
 
Aerith sighed as he allowed himself to be led in silence. Resistance was useless. He had let his anger momentarily get the best of him. The way the Church of Ildelia made themselves out to be so righteous enraged him to no end. Devout followers of Ildelia's scriptures could not see that what they were doing was wrong. What right did humans have to wage war against the demons? Many of those “crusades” as the church called them were mass slaughters of innocent demons. When he thought about the many lives that had been lost to the blade or staff of a Holy Warrior, it made his blood boil. He gagged again when the talisman was held close to his face and closed his eyes. He would get out of this somehow. All he had to do was be patient.