Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Eketa ❯ Lakel ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Aerith awoke with a sharp pain in his back and slowly sat up. He had become accustomed to sleeping in a bed. Living in the castle had made him soft. It was true that he had been away from the castle for five or six months since he had drawn a blank on his search of the northern lands but he was still out of practice in the terms of “roughing it”. Aerith dropped down onto the ground and stretched. His eyes narrowed as a wild animal darted through the brush and raised a hand. He was hungry. At least he still remembered how to cook fresh game. If he bothered to cook it that is. Demons usually preferred the taste of raw meat with plenty of blood dripping from the bone. Perhaps that was one of the reasons why humans saw demons as evil beings. Humans could be so narrow minded, Aerith observed as he listened to an animal scream in pain. At least his power hadn't suffered any.
 
Aerith sniffed the air then smiled at the scent of fresh blood. There was still a definite need for the primitive ways in the world no matter how much the church tried to suppress them. Aerith ran through the underbrush until the scent of fresh blood became overwhelming then picked up the carcass of a hare with crimson still staining the pelt. Aerith allowed his claws to pierce the body then brought it to his mouth. He bit into the still warm flesh and sighed. It wasn't much but it would be a lot better than anything he would get at a restaurant. Aerith heard voices in the woods and paused. He had to make sure these newcomers weren't a threat to his existence.
 
“I appreciate you coming out with me Lakel,” a woman's voice said and Aerith knelt onto the ground. The woman sounded like the one that had tried to get him into the church the previous night.
 
“What herbs are you looking for?” Lakel inquired and Aerith's eyes grew wide. That was the voice of the man he had run into the previous night. Aerith allowed his kill to fall from his grasp and closed his eyes. He had to know what that cleric's true aura was.
 
“Why did you stop, Lakel?” the woman inquired and Lakel held a hand in front of her for protection.
 
“I sense something. Something that seems...” Lakel said, his voice trailing off as he tried to find the correct words for what he was experiencing.
 
“Seems what? What do you feel?”
 
“I don't know, Seori. I sense a little bit of danger but I also feel calm as if I know the danger will not harm me. I know I speak like a madman and I hope I haven't placed worry into your head.”
 
“It's all right Lakel. Do you think it's safe to pick herbs?” Seori inquired and Lakel nodded his head.
 
“Go ahead. I want to check something out,” Lakel replied and Seori took his hand.
 
“Be careful.”
 
“I will. She's gone now show yourself.”
 
“I only came out here for something to eat. I didn't think a cleric would care how and what I eat,” Aerith said as he wiped the blood off his hand and stood up. Lakel held out a holy charm and Aerith frowned.
 
“You're a demon aren't you? What business do you have here?!” Lakel demanded and Aerith folded his arms.
 
“I don't need to tell my objective to a cleric but I'll tell you I didn't come here with destruction on my mind.”
 
“How can I possibly trust you?”
 
“I don't care if you trust me or not. I'm telling the truth.”
 
“Lakel I've got the herbs I need and...oh hello. We met last night didn't we? What are you doing out here?” Seori asked and Aerith glanced at her.
 
“I was searching for something to eat,” Aerith replied as Seori reached for his hand.
 
“We have a restaurant in the village. Oh perhaps you cannot afford a warm meal. Come with me and I'll get you something good to eat.”
 
“Seori don't! He's an enemy. He's a demon,” Lakel said and Seori folded her arms.
 
“Lakel you should know better than to judge someone based on his appearance. Now come on you poor thing. I'm sure you're starving,” Seori said and led Aerith back towards the village.
 
“You'd better not try anything,” Lakel said and Aerith glanced back at him.
 
“I told you, I didn't come here to cause trouble. I am merely searching for someone. My master has lost his way home and I am looking for him,” Aerith said and Seori gazed up at him.
 
“How did you lose your master?” she asked then paused. “I'm sorry. I didn't even stop to think it might be a private matter.”
 
“It isn't. Two years ago there was an incident near the boarder of my master's land. Since then I have been faithfully searching for him.”
 
“Where is your home?”
 
“I do not see why my origins would make any difference,” Aerith said as Seori clasped his hand close to her chest. Aerith flinched and tried to draw away. He had never been so close to holy energy before.
 
“If there is a church of Ildelia nearby then perhaps they can aid you in your search. Ildelia works in mysterious ways after all. Lakel here was saved by the church. Two years ago he was found wandering the mountain trails of Roen.”
 
“Near Beyesh?” Aerith inquired and Seori nodded her head.
 
“I believe so. Do you know of the area?” she asked then let go of Aerith's arm.
 
“To some extent yes. Beyesh is a boarder town. On one side lies the great Forest of Garesia and the other lies a demon's realm.”
 
“Demon Lord Eketa right? I've heard tales about him. Lakel if you were in Eketa's domain then you were most definitely being protected by Ildelia. He we are. Now feel free to order anything you want...I never got your name,” Seori said and Aerith glanced at her. Should he give his name to a woman of the church? She was definitely not a threat but what of Lakel? Based on what Seori had said, it was quite possible that Lakel was not just a mere cleric but in fact his master, Eketa.
 
Eketa's hair was the same color as Lakel's but Eketa's hair was long and silken like a horse's mane. The human woman in his realm were jealous of his hair and they had a right to be. Eketa was slightly vain about his appearance, Aerith noted then glanced at Seori when she pulled on his robe.
 
“Did you hear me? I wanted to know your name,” Seori said and Aerith nodded his head.
 
“I heard. I'm sorry. I was just thinking about my master. I am known as Aerith,” Aerith said and Lakel paused at the restaurant door.
 
“Aerith...” he repeated and Aerith glanced back at him.
 
“Yes. Why? Does the name seem familiar to you?”
 
“I don't know. I think I've heard it somewhere before but I can't be sure. My past is a blank and I can't remember no matter how much I try.”
 
“Don't worry Lakel. Your memory will return. Now let us go inside and get this poor soul something to eat,” Seori said as she opened the door. She nodded her head at the waitress as Aerith folded his arms in thought. The human cleric, if he was indeed human, intrigued him immensely. He felt this cleric was the closest link to finding his master but he had to make sure before he jumped to any conclusions. If Lakel was Eketa, then surely his master would understand his precaution.
 
“Come on and sit down,” Seori said and Aerith followed her to a table.
 
“Why do you keep looking at me? What are you planning?” Lakel inquired and Aerith smiled.
 
“I'm not planning anything,” Aerith replied. “But if my assumptions are correct, you will thank me in the end. I hope you will understand. For now all I want to do is observe you until I'm certain of your power. I don't think you are as holy as people make you out to be.”
 
Lakel's eyes flashed with anger as he sat down. For some reason he found Aerith's attitude highly annoying. There was no possible way he could know this demon from somewhere. He only wished that Seori could sense the evil around Aerith. If she could then he would be able to dispose of the demon as he had pledged to do when he became a member of the church. After all, he owed a lot to them because they rescued him from the clutches of evil. At least that's what they told him when they rescued him.
 
“What would you like Lakel?” Seori inquired and Lakel looked at her.
 
“I'll have some steak extremely rare and some eggs,” Lakel said and Aerith looked interested. Most humans didn't like eating meat with blood still dripping from the flesh. He found it ironic that Lakel had made such a big deal about him eating raw meat and yet he was practically doing the same thing. If Lakel himself was demon then it would take Aerith a lot of time and effort to make the cleric remember his true nature.
 
“Now everyone bow your heads in prayer. We must thank Ildelia for the meal we are about to receive,” Seori said and Aerith closed his eyes. The only one he would give prayer to was the god of the underworld. Instead, Aerith drowned out the words to Seori's prayer by thinking about his master Eketa. To have possibly fallen to a life such as this...he would make the church pay for everything they had done.
 
“Miss Seori, was Lakel's hair short when he came to the church?” Aerith inquired and Seori glanced up.
 
“No. His hair was quite long but it is against the code of the church for men to have long hair so we cut it,” Seori replied.
 
“How did he end up down here? As I understand it Beyesh is at least a fortnight's walk from here.”
 
“It is not all that strange considering it happened over a year ago.”
 
“You said two years ago in your initial story.”
 
“In any event, he was found by a traveling merchant and taken to Ardon where I was visiting my relatives at the time. I spoke to the priest and he agreed to let Lakel travel back to Ralonu. We thought that Lakel would be better trained as a messenger to Ildelia if he were here,” Seori said and Aerith frowned.
 
“One thing I don't understand is how he got his name. If he had no memory when he was found, then how did he know his name?” Aerith inquired then sat back when plates were set in front of them. Seori had taken the liberty to order for him and he regretted her generosity. The meat was too well done and the slice of bread was too much for him. Aerith watched Lakel eat and sighed. His eating habits were almost identical to his master's.
 
“In reply to your question about Lakel's name, that was the name the merchant gave to him. He has used it as his own since then. Now eat. You will not have the strength to find your master if you don't eat,” Seori said as Aerith held out a pepper shaker.
 
“How did you know I was going to ask for that?” Lakel inquired and Aerith shrugged.
 
“My master used to always ask for this when he ate similar meals,” Aerith replied.
 
“You really care about your master don't you?” Seori asked and Aerith nodded his head.
 
“Yes. I've served underneath him for many years and I won't be content until he is back home where he belongs.”
 
“Where is home?”
 
“Osvim.”
 
“Osvim...” Lakel said and Seori looked at him.
 
“You know that name?” she asked and Lakel scratched his head.
 
“It sounds awfully familiar and I don't know why.”
 
“Against my better judgment, I would like to speak to your priest and discuss the situation with him,” Aerith said and Seori looked confused.
 
“What situation?” she asked.
 
“Obviously this man does not belong here. I am not certain that he is the one I've been looking for but I think taking him back to the Beyesh area will help unravel this mystery.”
 
“What mystery?” Lakel asked and Aerith glanced at him.
 
“Don't you want to know where you came from and where you belong?”
 
“Well of course I do but I also owe a lot to the church. I can't just up and leave.”
 
“That is why I want to talk to your priest. I'm sure he feels the same way as I do.”
 
“You know things were fine until you showed up,” Lakel said. “I thought you said you didn't come here to cause trouble.”
 
“I didn't,” Aerith said then stood up. “Hold on. Can you feel that?”
 
“What?” Seori inquired and Lakel frowned.
 
“I can feel it. I know this feeling.”
 
“Can you name the aura?” Aerith asked and Lakel looked at him.
 
“Of course I can't. Why ask an idiotic question like that?”
 
“I didn't think it was a dumb question. He won't be here for another day or two but we should prepare for his arrival. I wish he wasn't coming but apparently the news of my master's disappearance has gotten out.”
 
“Who are you talking about?” Seori inquired and Aerith sighed.
 
“Lord Rama. His realm is to the south. Normally I don't see him, which of course pleases me greatly, but now that my master is lost...” Aerith's voice trailed off and Seori looked confused.
 
“Why would he want you?”
 
“He's been trying to get me in his employ for years. I personally find him too forward because he's entirely too friendly with me.”
 
“Perhaps he likes you. Ildelia frowns on such relationships but I am aware it does happen.”
 
“Why are you being so nice to him? Isn't it obvious what he is?” Lakel asked as Aerith followed Seori out of the restaurant.
 
“Would you stop being so judgmental?”
 
“I'm not. Look at his hands. They're not normal.”
 
“And yours are? If you look closely you'll notice that your hands are not that much different than mine.”
 
“You know he's right Lakel,” Seori said and Lakel looked shocked.
 
“You can't be serious. I'm not like him! Let us go to the priest and expose this demon for the evil being that he is,” Lakel said and Aerith folded his arms.
 
“I have done nothing wrong,” he replied.
 
“We'll let Father Phyana decide that.”
 
“Fine. I am certain he has more wisdom than you're currently exhibiting.”
 
“Let's just go but be prepared to pay for all the evil you've committed.”
 
Aerith sighed as he followed Seori back towards the church. If this was indeed his master then he hoped he could get him to remember his position before Rama arrived. He most certainly did not want to run the risk of becoming Rama's servant. His chief reason for existing was to serve Eketa and no one else. But because of Rama's fascination with him, the demon lord might just take advantage of the fact that Eketa was missing and force Aerith into a life of slavery and Aerith certainly did not want to experience such a horrible fate.
 
Again I ask of you master, please show me some sort of a sign. I am running out of places to look and time. If Rama comes and you are nowhere to be found, he is sure to take me away and then I may never find you. I am sure we don't want that. Please return to me Lord Eketa.