Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Exile's Road ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Exile's Road: Four

"I think it's a bad business to be getting yourself involved with," Garrison said with a frown, his short gray hair almost silver in the bar's firelight. His heavy muscles tensed slightly as he poured another customer a mug of the bitter local beer all the while keeping a wary eye on where the Duchess Jantha and Laur'ien sat waiting.

"I'm surprised to hear you saying that," Midori replied, tall black haired woman smiling slightly from where she was casually leaning against the bar, "considering that you were the one who was so sure she wanted to bed me."

"A friendly roll between the sheets is one thing," Garrison said to her dryly, "body-guarding one like her is another."

"Gave my word," Midori shrugged casually, "I'm committed now."

There was a soft snort of laughter from the redheaded young man who was sitting nearby, listening in to the conversation eagerly. "It'll make a lovely verse for The Ballad of Magnificent Midori," Nathaniel offered cheerfully.

The look that Midori gave the bard was deadly as she growled out, "Haven't you given that fool idea up yet, Nat'anel?"

Nathaniel just grinned back, clearly sure that the traditional bardic immunity would protect him. "Ah, it's going lovely," he laughed, "I just need to find some romance for you."

Garrison snickered at the irritable look on Midori's face, wiping up a nearby spill as he moved smoothly. "Just give in," he advised her, "it's easier."

Midori shook her head as she pushed away from the bar. "I'd best get my things, the Duchess is looking impatient," she said before heading up the stairs.

Over at their table the Duchess Jantha watched with concealed interest as Midori left, the lovely blonde gracefully sipping at a glass of wine. "So how do you know her?" Laur'ien asked curiously, the tawny brown haired officer looking at her with those bright brown eyes.

Jantha took another sip as she coldly answered, "It is none of your concern."

Still smiling Laur'ien shook her head, "M'lady, we're all going to be stuck with each other for a while, at least until we find out who's trying to kill you. Taking that stance won't help."

Jantha opened her mouth to shoot back some comment but restrained herself. Finally she conceded, "A good point, officer." She took a steadying breath, "I stopped in here by chance a few weeks ago and found I liked the place."

"And the company?" with a impish little smile Laur'ien nodded towards the stairway that Midori had disappeared up.

"You're bold," Jantha blushed faintly.

Laur'ien shrugged, taking a drink from her mug of beer. "Always have been," she agreed, choosing not to push the noble lady any farther.

Midori descended only a few moments later, carrying the sort of simple bag that an army officer might have used. She also had the heavy battle staff slung over her shoulders and a short sword was belted at her side. Midori walked over to the table and smiled slightly as she said, "Well, you two look like you're getting along."

"We're managing," Jantha said with a great deal of dignity.

Laur'ien smirked as she looked up at Midori to ask, "So what were you and your friends talking about, if I may ask?"

"How mad I must be for going along with this," Midori said dryly, ignoring Laur'ien's chuckle. She shifted her bag on her shoulder, "Well, where to now?"

Jantha smoothly rose from her seat, her long blue dress flowing around her long legs. "We'd best go to my family home to start with," she said thoughtfully, "you'll need rooms."

Laur'ien got up, the rangy young woman stretching slightly. "You could always install her in your bedroom," she offered casually.

"No," Midori said shortly.

Jantha blinked, the oddest look appearing on her beautiful face. It was clear that she was a bit surprised by the bluntness of Midori's statement but she still she managed to say to Laur'ien, "Besides which, it wouldn't be proper to do so."

"Oh, I don't know," Laur'ien looked casual as they moved into the crowds outside the bar, "I've always wondered about some of those lady's maids I've seen,"

Jantha gave the young military officer a disapproving look as she coldly said, "Such things aren't spoken of in polite company."

Laur'ien just smiled saucily as she drawled, "I'm not polite company and I rather doubt that Midori is, either."

"Would you two please behave?" Midori loudly grumbled. She dropped her voice slightly, "Did you see our shadows, yet?"

"Of course," Laur'ien answered her promptly, "one of them is holding a distance behind us while another is keeping just ahead of us."

"You two are playing games with me, I hope," Jantha's face had gone mildly pale, looking around them cautiously.

"I don't play games," Midori answered, moving just slightly to loosen her sword in her hilt. "Good eyes," she complimented Laur'ien softly.

"Nose, actually," Laur'ien said, tapping her thin nose with a single finger. "One of the few gifts that carries over from my other form," she added.

"So what do we do about them?" Jantha asked, noting that Midori still didn't look too happy about being reminded about Laur'ien being a shapeshifter.

"Should we wait for them to move in or try to force their hands?" Laur'ien asked casually, her eyes shining with restrained eagerness.

Midori quietly asked them, "You up to a run?"

"I'll manage," Jantha answered bravely.

"Good," Midori flashed Jantha a grin.

Midori and Laur'ien exchanged a silent glance then the little group bolted, Laur'ien dropping behind a bit to guard their rear while Midori took the point. They forced through the mob quickly, then the first attacker moved in to try and block their way, the weasily looking man holding a wicked looking dirk in his hand. He looked light street trash on the surface but his stance and the look in his eyes showed he knew how to use a weapon.

CRACK!

Without even breaking her stride Midori swung out with her heavy oaken staff, slamming it down right onto his collar. It might have been his collar bone breaking or maybe the shoulder but either way he dropped to the cobblestones, the three women bounding right by him.

"He dead, you think?" Laur'ien shouted.

"Just stunned," Midori answered.

"Pity," a scowling Jantha muttered.

Behind them their pursuer struggled to get free of the crowd, the black clad woman eventually reaching the open. She raised her crossbow, sighting on them before jerking as a blade struck home into her belly. Laur'ien slipped the other slim throwing blades that she carried away into her jacket even as the assassin slowly crumpled to the ground.

"It's not a lethal wound," Laur'ien commented, "as long as she gets medical help soon."

The three women only stopped hurrying when they finally reached the Dutchess' home a few blocks away. The fine home was older, the stone and brick made by the best artisans of that era, designed to stand boldly apart from the common people. Balconies swung out the upper floors, towers on the top floor providing a view of the city around them. Both Midori and Laur'ien were careful to check the exterior of the place thoroughly before finally going inside with Jantha.

"My home is secure," Jantha protested as she was escorted inside.

"We've seen that someone wants to kill you," Laur'ien said quite seriously, "it seems foolish to take any unnecessary chances."

"Miss, I'm glad your home..." a door swung open, a pretty maid entering only to see the armed and clearly dangerous looking Midori and Laur'ien, "eep!" She fainted dead away, hitting the floor with a soft thump.

"Was it something we said?" Laur'ien quipped.

"Damn," Midori bent down to check the young lady over.

"This is going to work so well," Jantha sighed, "I can just tell."

To be continued....