Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Exile's Road ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Exile's Road: Seven
 
The tall black haired woman followed Jantha inside the gate, her eyes roaming warily. Midori felt the eyes of the nobles they passed resting on her but simply ignored it, carrying a simple staff with her and wearing her usual black leather and rough wool clothes.
 
Duchess Jantha followed behind, the smaller blonde frowning slightly as they walked the halls of the castle. "You couldn't have worn something finer?" she asked pointedly, her own gown flowing like silk.
 
"They aren't going to be paying attention to me," Midori said shortly.
 
Behind Jantha the tawny haired woman followed like a typical servant, her own much more simple dress hugging her body. "At least you're not in disguise," Laur'ien said with a wry smile, her searching gaze as sharp as Midori's.
 
"You're lucky someone could lend you the dress," Jantha sighed. She paused, "I though you two said that you weren't going to use disguises?"
 
"I wasn't," Laur'ien smiled impishly, "but the rules of court say that a noble may only have one guard, but they also allow servants."
 
"Better to bend a rule than break it," Midori said philosophically.
 
Jantha sighed, wondering which god she had annoyed to be saddled with these two. They strode towards the main hall, fine tapestries hanging on the walls, guards spaced out with spear held ready and swords at their side. "With all of these guards around," she mildly noted, "one wonders why I need to have you two here."
 
Laur'ien quietly answered, "Because you don't know who else these guards might be taking gold from, Duchess."
 
"You don't trust anyone, do you?" Jantha asked with a pained expression.
 
Midori answered that one, "No, I don't."
 
They reached the doors to the great hall, made of the finest oak ad towering over them, even Midori. The guard standing there nodded to Jantha and pointedly ignored Laur'ien, but his eyes widened at seeing Midori. "No weapons," he said curtly, looking at her staff.
 
"It's not a weapon, tis merely my walking stick," Midori said mildly. She smiled slightly as she recognized the young man, a boy who had once been a bit disruptive at the Drunken Bard one night. "Did that arm I broke heal up all right?" she asked politely.
 
He smiled wryly, "Well enough." Studying her a moment the young guard finally smiled, "Go on in, but please don't start anything."
 
"Never do," was Midori's quiet reply.
 
The doors swung open for them as they entered, the page standing by the door studying them a moment. clearing his voice before he loudly announced, "The Duchess Jantha, honored cousin to the Queen, and her companions!"
 
"So we're just companions now," Laur'ien murmured as they walked inside the audience chamber, nobility and diplomats swirling around them in the packed hall.
 
"Did you really break his arm?" Jantha had to ask.
 
"Yes," Midori answered, using her size to help clear the road for them. "He got drunk and surly, an' decided to see if I could live up to my reputation."
 
"Reputation?" Jantha sounded mildly disapproving.
 
Laur'ien looked amused as she murmured, "It's all over the guard's barracks that nobody has beaten Midori yet, and with her just using that staff against swords." She looked amused as she added, "Part of why the commander hired her, I'd bet."
 
They pressed forward, soon getting within line of sight of the simple throne that rested in the far end from the doors. The Queen bore a resemblance to Jantha, the slim blonde sitting on her throne bravely as she felt all eyes upon her. The woman's wasn't all that beautiful, but there was strength and character in her bones and faintly amused gaze.
 
"My Queen," Jantha executed a graceful curtsey, her smile warm. She dropped her voice a bit, "You look well, Queen Gwen."
 
"Cousin," Gwen answered, "it's good to see you." She took in Midori and Laur'ien, nodding approvingly as she said, "I see Commander Hudson has been busy."
 
"I still don't think all of this is necessary," Jantha sighed.
 
"You are one of my best courtiers and have been loyal to me," Gwen answered mildly, "I would not see that repaid by treachery." She frowned, "Especially considering the fearsome assassins after you, the Genin."
 
"Fair enough," Jantha conceded the point.
 
Midori watched the room warily, only listening with half an ear as she scanned the crowd. 'Apparently Jantha is closer to the throne than I thought,' she noted. The people around them were a mixed group, both the local representatives and those from farther lands. Among them courtiers loyal to Gwen circulated, trying to build support to their new queen.
 
The older man looked up, black hair tinged with gray and as Midori's glance crossed his she felt herself stiffen in surprise. 'How the hell did he....' it took all of Midori's experience to keep her reaction from her face, and she was mildly pleased to see the other man lacked her control. The pale man almost gaped at her in surprise, then began to move toward them.
 
Laur'ien tensed as she looked between Midori and the strange man, even as Jantha looked on in confusion. "The delegate from Edo," she frowned, "what is he doing?"
 
"Can you watch over the Duchess a moment?" Midori asked.
 
"Of course," Laur'ien volunteered, a twinkle in her eye showing her curiosity.
 
Addressing Jantha a visibly apologetic Midori said, "This is old business, m'lady, and personal. Please, let me deal with it."
 
Jantha frowned slightly but nodded her agreement. "Just do so quickly," Jantha hesitated before conceding, "I would feel uncomfortable without your protection."
 
Midori angled through the crowd to meet the smaller man, taking in the comfortable robes he wore, the katana at his side. He stopped before her and Midori almost thought he would execute a formal bow, like he would have once in their homeland. "Midori-dono, it has been a long time," he said to her in their native tongue.
 
"Not dono, Sasoke." Midori shook her head firmly as she felt eyes resting on both of them, "I renounced my title long ago."
 
"It is not so simple, lord," he answered. Sasoke smiled wryly, his black hair falling into his eyes as he continued, "Not all of us feel oaths of loyalty are so easily disregarded."
 
Midori sighed, thankful that his words were not directed to her own situation. "You must have sworn your oaths to the Shogun now," she reminded him, "or you would not be here."
 
"But...." Sasoke began.
 
"Just leave the past buried," Midori said crisply, turning away to walk back to Jantha's side, "where it belongs."
 
"That was fast," Laur'ien said dryly once Midori returned to where the two women were standing by the throne.
 
"Are you all right?" Jantha asked quietly.
 
'It seems I'm easier to read than I thought,' Midori noted. "Did anything happen?" she asked impatiently, ignoring the question.
 
"Well we were attacked by a horde of assassins, but Jantha and I rallied the guards and fought them all off with minimal casualties," Laur'ien said airily.
 
"No, nothing happened," Jantha said firmly. She smiled slightly, "But the queen wishes to talk to me, privately."
 
"We're coming along," Midori said crisply.
 
"How did I know you were going to say that?" Laur'ien asked.
 
Jantha ignored that. "I don't think my cousin will mind my servant or bodyguard," she dryly responded, "come with me."
 
To be continued....