Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Exile's Road ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Exile's Road: Six
 
The thick windows distorted the rays of the morning sun, but the light was still enough to rouse Jantha from her sleep. The elegant blonde fought back a yawn as she sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes as she pushed the thin woolen covers away. Rising from the bed her nightgown hung over her body, the thin cloth warm and comfortable. She made her way to her dresser, using the basin of water left there to wash her face and hands, drying them with a towel.
 
'I wonder how my new guardians are doing?' Jantha mused.
 
Diner last night had been remarkably civilized with Midori and Laur'ien, both women seeming on their best behavior. The tawny haired Laur'ien had even seemed to charm some forgiveness from Jantha's personal maid Elise, somehow. Conversation had stayed neutral, pleasant, and both ladies showed a remarkable depth of knowledge, especially Midori.
 
'Midori,' Jantha walked to her closet, wondering what to make of the intense foreigner. Picking out a set of riding pants and a fine blouse she dressed, the black haired woman not far from her restless thoughts.
 
Jantha and her bodyguard had only reluctantly entered the bar called the Drunken Bard, just hoping to escape the storm. Taking a corner table she ordered the only passable wine they offered, watching the crowd warily until she first spotted her. With merely a glance Midori stopped two fighters, softly spoken words sending them back to their seats. Tall as a man, dressed in her usual leathers she dominated the room, Midori radiating a strength and confidence few could match. Her dark hair and pale skin, the cast of her features, they all marked her as an outlander.
 
"Who is that?" Jantha had to ask the barman, feeling the eyes of the customers on her.
 
The grizzled old soldier smiled slightly, wiping off the bar smoothly. "That's my bouncer, Midori," he said, his gray hair short, thinning at the top, but his arms still bulging with muscles, "may I ask why yer asking?"
 
Jantha didn't blush, she had spent too much time in politics for that, but she wanted to under his amused gaze. "Curiosity," she answered him evenly, "I haven't seen an outlander like her before."
 
"Name's Garrison," the older man nodded, 'welcome to my place." He smiled again, "Shall I tell Midori about who's curious in her?"
 
"Jan..." she stopped herself then continued, "Jane."
 
Garrison clearly noticed the hesitation but didn't comment on it as he passed her glass of wine over. "Then I'll look forward to seeing you again," he said gravely.
 
With dignity she returned to her seat, her bodyguard looking on with pure disapproval. Jantha ignored him as she watched Midori stop to speak with the bar for a moment. They spoke a moment, he obviously pushing her for something, then finally she relented. His lute was well made, the tone ad power stilling conversation, then surprisingly Midori raised her voice in song as well. It was an older ballad of love found and lost the bard surprisingly taking the lady's part while Midori easily carried the man's role, her voice smooth as warm velvet.
 
Jantha found herself joining in the applause when they finished, both taking their bows. Midori moved on to the bar and bent her head to hear Garrison's words, then raised her head. Garrison pointed Jantha out and she felt Midori's eyes resting on her, weighing her cautiously. Jantha raised her wine glass in salute, taking a drink to hide any nervousness she might be feeling.
 
"We have to go, m'lady," her bodyguard reminded her, "this isn't safe."
 
Jantha fought back her annoyance, but knew he was right. "Lead on," she picked up her still damp cloak and slipped away into the storm.
 
In her bedroom Jantha made up her face carefully, styling her blonde hair so that it fell in the waves that were so popular this season. Her eyelids were touched likely with shade, her lips made a bit more rosy but other than that she left herself as nature had made.
 
Ready for the day Jantha walked to her bedroom door and opened it, only to look in surprise at the tawny haired woman who was leaning up against the wall there. Laur'ien looked up at her with a smile, pushing herself to stand up straight and salute, "Morning, Duchess."
 
"Why are you...?" Jantha started.
 
Laur'ien fell into step behind Jantha as they went towards the kitchen, "Midori and I felt it would be best to have someone standing guard outside your door, just in case." She flashed a smile as they headed to the rear of the house, "In fact I offered to slip into your room to guard you better, but Midori put her foot down."
 
"Thank the gods," Jantha sighed as she opened the door to the kitchen, Laur'ien just chuckling softly. "And I assume Midori is sleeping before she takes your place?"
 
Laur'ien stifled a yawn as she said, "I was just going to suggest we go wake her, since she doesn't want you left alone."
 
"Of course," Jantha felt a flutter of nervousness.
 
"M'lady," Elise smiled in greeting, giving Laur'ien a more wary look as the little redhead carried over a cup of thick, dark coffee.
 
"Thank you," Jantha nodded, shuddering slightly at the taste as she gulped down some of the hot liquid.
 
"It does taste better with cream and sugar, miss," Elise said respectfully.
 
Jantha flashed a smile at her trusted servant, "Doesn't wake me up as well, though." Finishing off her drink she set the cup on the stone counter, "Breakfast for two, in half an 'mark."
 
Elise gave a little nod, "It'll be ready, m'lady."
 
"You mind waking me around noon?" a smiling Laur'ien asked Elise, oddly without any of her normally bold manner.
 
Elise looked at her thoughtfully, "Of course."
 
"That went well," a thoughtful Jantha noted as they entered the hallway, out of hearing range of the young maid.
 
"I'm not so thick as to repeat my mistakes," Laur'ien answered dryly, leading the way this time. They made their way over to the servant's wing where she rapped on a door with her knuckles.
 
"You shouldn't be quartered here," Jantha frowned, "neither of you are true servants."
 
"Visit the barracks sometime," Laur'ien looked amused as they heard movement inside the room, "this is lovely in comparison."
 
"Really?" Jantha blinked. The servant's quarters were small rooms, mostly bare except for whatever the resident brought in, and warmed by the kitchen stoves not far away.
 
"Morning," the door opened to reveal Midori, the smiling woman looking still just a bit sleep rumpled. Her short black hair had been carefully wetted down, and her usual leathers covered the intense fighter's form.
 
"Yo," Laur'ien went inside as Midori left, "Elise will be waking me around noon."
 
"You're sharing a room?" Jantha asked, a confusing rush of emotions filling her.
 
"Not exactly," Midori said as they walked away, "it's not like we're going to be in the same room all that often."
 
"A good point," Jantha conceded. She looked up at Midori hesitantly, "Would you care to join me for breakfast?"
 
"If it's as good as last night's dinner," Midori answered with a smile, "then I'd love to."
 
Jantha smiled in amusement, "I'll pass the compliment on to Lisa and Chris, then."
 
"So what are the plans for today?" Midori asked as they entered the dining room they had ate in last night.
 
"I'll need to visit the palace to see my cousin," Jantha said as she gestured to seats near one end of the long table, "and find out what diplomatic duties I'll be facing today."
 
"You sound eager," Midori said as she sat down at Jantha's side.
 
"I find I enjoy it," Jantha admitted with a smile, "it reminds me of a game of strategy, each side maneuvering to victory."
"Ideally each side wins something," Midori noted.
 
Jantha looked over at Midori thoughtfully, "Have you been involved with diplomacy, then?"
 
There was an odd look on Midori's face as she answered, "Once, long time ago."
 
To be continued....