Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Exile's Road ❯ Chapter 14

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Exile's Road: Fourteen
 
Swords clanged together as they swept in, weapons flashing. Back and forth they fought, moving almost faster than they eye could see, then suddenly the black clad figure stiffened in surprise... before collapsing bonelessly to the ground.
 
"Damn't," Midori cursed softly as the black haired woman shook the blood from her sword, "I wanted to take him alive." The warrior slid the sword back into it's wooden sheath and twisted it slightly, once again disguising it as a simple staff.
 
"Nicely done," Jantha said dryly, the lovely blonde standing not far away, guarded by the tawny haired fighter nearby. She tried not to notice how attractive she found Midori, lightly touched by sweat and a bit breathless...
 
Laur'ien nodded in agreement, "Not bad at all." The tawny haired woman kept one throwing knife in her hand, a few others hidden beneath her clothes as she looked around them warily and asked, "Any more coming?"
 
"I didn't see more tha' the two we defeated," Midori said as she briskly headed to Jantha's side, "I think that's it for now."
 
Jantha raised a delicate eyebrow as they set off to continue their trip to the palace, "What do you mean, for now?"
 
Midori took on a faintly lecturing tone as she explained, "The Genin are very devoted to following their code, part of which insists on just single or paired assaults." Her eyes warily swept the crowds as they walked along the rough stone road while she explained, "But as the funds devoted to a contract run down, they'll throw greater numbers at us... assuming the bastard who paid for the contract doesn't renew it."
 
"It won't be renewed," Laur'ien surprised them all by saying.
 
"Oh?" Jantha looked curious.
 
Laur'ien shrugged slightly, "According to Commander Hudson, anyway."
 
"Seems the commander's been busy," Midori murmured softly. She shook herself and went back to the topic, "The Genin will feel honor bound to complete the contract... so as it runs out they'll throw greater numbers of assassins at us."
 
Jantha nodded as one of the gate guards challenged her and she produced her papers. The guards had been lax until Midori had torn a strip off of them, pointing out how bad it had been. One took it as a slight to his honor and challenged Midori, a grave mistake. Just using her staff against his sword Midori had beaten him bloody, in the process guaranteeing that there would be no more arguments over her suggestions.
 
"Think we can take those kind of numbers?" Laur'ien asked as they went through the courtyard and into the castle itself.
 
"I guess we'll just have to," Midori said flatly, acknowledging another checkpoint. The halls were packed with busy courtiers, men rushing between offices with documents to sign or deliver, paperwork the bane of any government.
 
Laur'ien gave Jantha a mildly cross look and said, "I do wish we didn't have to keep running between your home and the palace.. every time we do makes you a target. Why not get a room in the Queen's suites?"
 
Jantha frowned, "To do so would be a giving in to my foes." She gave Midori a sly look, "A loss of face, as the kingdom of Edo would say."
 
There was a oddly haunted look in Midori's eyes as she agreed, "Jantha has a point." She gave the Dutchess a look, "Besides, I think she's luring the Genin to attack deliberately."
 
"What?" Laur'ien blurted.
 
"If we don't give them a chance at me they might attempt an attack at my home," Jantha shrugged as they reached the doors to the Queen's court, "my maid and servants could be hurt. If they attack us on the street, we three are only at risk."
 
Laur'ien opened her mouth to protest, thought about it, then shut it again. "Can't argue with that," she admitted.
 
Jantha smirked, satisfied. Addressing the guard at the door she asked, "What's going on?"
 
Knight Daniel nodded respectfully, "M'lady, the ambassador from Xiang is speaking... and I fear it's not going well." Respectfully he asked, "Do you wish me to announce you, Dutchess?"
 
"No, thank you," Jantha said as the three strode inside.
 
Midori and Laur'ien took point, pushing through the mob so that Jantha could reach the front where a figure paced back and forth, waving his arms. He was a slim man, brown hair slicked back and clothes fine yet somehow shabby on him. The word that irresistibly came to mind looking at him was weasel, mostly due to his pointed face and beady eyes.
 
"The river lands have been ours for years," he waved an arm, "years I say..."
 
"You moved a encampment there three months ago, Shinka" Queen Gwen said dryly, the blonde looking rather bored.
 
"Our people have an ancestral claim to those lands," Shinka swiftly switched tactics.
 
"You mean," Richard noted from where the white haired councilor stood nearby, "your ancestors tried this, too, and got defeated."
 
"It was not a defeat," Shinka drew himself up straight as he said, "we merely chose to... concede the ground temporarily."
 
"In the histories I read they ran with their tales between their legs," Midori drawled just loud enough to carry.
 
Shinka whirled to look at her with a glare, instantly assessing her with a glance. "Silence, peasant," he scowled.
 
Queen Gwen hid her smile with a hand, bringing her emotions under control. With her face suitably grave she said, "Ambassador, you have no right to speak to my citizens like that... especially when they merely speak the truth."
 
Shinka turned to look at Gwen, fighting to hide his displeasure. "So," he said flatly, "you will not return our lands to us?"
 
"They are not your lands," Gwen said firmly, "and you have no claim on them."
 
Shinka nodded stiffly, "Then we have nothing more to discuss." And with that he strode from the room, his guard taking up position beside him.
 
Richard gave the queen a thoughtful look then turned to address the court. "The Queen is fatigued and will be hearing no more requests today," he said and with grumbles of disappointment lords and ladies began to file out.
 
"Do we...?" Laur'ien asked.
 
"No," Jantha shook her head, "we're here on a summons."
 
Just then Richard saw then pushing forward through the leaving courtiers and nodded welcome "Thanks for coming," he said, "I'll take you to Gwen."
 
The table was piled with documents as they entered the private chambers behind the throne room, the place where much of the real work in running the kingdom was done. Gwen looked up with a smile of welcome, but her expression was worried. "Welcome, cousin," she nodded.
 
Once the greetings were over Jantha demanded, "What's going on?"
 
"The King of Xiang is an even greater fool than I thought," Gwen said wryly.

"You warned me a few days ago he might move, but...," Jantha looked surprised.
 
Richard nodded as he sat, "He's moved faster than anyone expected."
 
"So this king has moved his men into the river plain?" Midori murmured as she listened, "A bold move."
 
"Or a stupid one," Laur'ien whispered back, "unless he has far more men than we think."
 
"Depends on his objective," Midori shrugged, her expression thoughtful.
 
"You know, my best generals came up with much the same analysis," Gwen said loudly, having overheard. She looked to Jantha, "What do you think?"
 
"It's a obviously provocative move," Jantha shrugged, "he wants a war. But why?"
 
"From what I've heard he tends to think with his.. lower parts," Gwen grimaced with distaste. "He may honestly believe a woman won't have the nerve to face him."
 
"If so," Richard smiled grimly, "he's in for a great surprise."
 
To be continued...