Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Exile's Road ❯ Chapter 15

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Exiles Road

“Lisa, Chris,” Elise smiled at her two fellow servants as she was walking out the door, “I shouldn’t be gone too long.”

Lisa smiled back, the black haired woman nodding respectfully to the senior maid. “Everything should be fine,” she said to her reassuringly, “enjoy your night out.”

“Keep an eye on Laur’ien,” Elise cautioned the two of them, “I still don’t quite trust her, bodyguard or no.”

“We will,” Chris promised, the smaller brunette waving as Elise left.

Elise walked from the home, feeling a small flash of guilt as she left. She was loyal to the Duchess, and always would be, but she also knew how much Jantha would disapprove of where she was going to today. Traveling down the streets she made her way from the wealthier section of town to the merchant’s quarter, eventually reaching a middle class home.

“Yes?” the voice asked as Elise knocked.

“All are made equal,” Elise answered with the secret phrase.

“About time you got here,” the redhead smiled as she swung open the front door. “Most of the others have arrived,” she said.

“Sorry, Terri,” Elise said and followed Terri in, “I had to finish cleaning up after a diplomatic meeting in the mistress’ home.”

“Better not mention it to the others,” Terri said as they walked through the front hallway, “or they’re going to want a detailed report.” They entered a large sitting room where several other ladies waited, several of them calling greetings as they came in.

The Countess Hazan stood off to one side, the tall black haired woman dressed as usual in her men’s trousers and a simple blouse, while Ra’hel longed beside her lover dressed in a skirt that was reminiscent of her days as a street walker. Celia, called by some the merchant queen, fidgeted in a chair nearby the fire, her brown hair shimmering in the candle light. Terri made the final member of their band, representing many of the younger noblewomen who chafed under their parent’s strict rule.

“Thank you all for coming,” Hazan said calmly, “I call this meeting of the leaders of the Guild of Gentlewomen to order.”

“The first item of business is recruiting,” Ra’hel spoke up with a wry smile, “as you can see I’ve been busy with the street walkers and high class courtesans. They’re getting very angry over their treatment of late, especially by the new recruits in the Queens Guard, I think if we help them, they’ll help us.”

“But how much of a help will they be?” Celia frowned. Her own vision of the Guild of Gentlewoman had never included such common women as prostitutes or hire swords, and she was dubious about bringing them in.

“Just for blackmail purposes alone they’ll be a great help to us,” Terri noted cynically. She flashed a wicked smile as she added, “I’m sure my noble mother would be shocked to know of my dear father’s activities.”

“Terri,” Celia frown disapprovingly at the younger woman

“I’ve been carefully feeling out the servants of several noble houses,” Elise jumped in to draw Celia’s attention away from Terri and smiled as she said, “I think I’ve got several convinced to join our cause.”

“Good,” Hazan flashed a confident smile, “they’ll be a good source of information.”

Elise winced, wondering if that was a barb aimed at her. She was a member of the Guild but had told Hazan directly that she would not reveal secrets of her mistress’ house nor try to influence her. Hazan seemed to accept that, but Elise still wondered if she really meant it.

Celia said a bit stiffly, “The business women of the city are behind us, and I’ve got contacts recruiting among the wagoners coming in to the kingdom.”

“How are we doing for total numbers?” Terri asked curiously.

“It’s hard to determine a exact number,” Hazan admitted before saying, “I’d say we have a few hundred committed members, possibly more if we get a charter from the queen.”

“That’s the rub,” Elise admitted, “without a charter we cannot sit in on the councils of our kingdom’s rulers or influence policy.”

“Has there been any progress on that?” Celia asked pointedly, looking from Elise over to Hazan and Ra’hel.

“The Queen has agreed in principle to granting us a charter,” Hazan said to them with a triumphant grin then became more serious as she added, “but she warns there’ll be a great deal of hardship to be faced.”

“As in?” Terri blinked.

“Many husbands and fathers will be quite upset by this and may try to take it out on the daughters and wives involved,” Ra’hel said dryly, “we’d best be ready to support each other when that happens.”

“True enough,” Celia nodded, knowing how her own husband was like to react. She smiled wryly, “Wonder if I should hire a bodyguard after the announcement is made?”

“I can think of a few cute lady hire swords,” Terri smirked.

Celia sniffed, “I don’t go that way, child.”

Terri grinned back, “Your loss.”

“I wouldn’t go THAT far,” Elise said, “but I would be wary, none the less.”

“Fair enough,” Celia nodded. She looked to Hazan respectfully, “When will the Queen make the announcement?”

“Tomorrow,” Hazan said, “we should start spreading the word to our high level supports. Just don’t tell them to spread the word yet.”

“Oh?” Ra’hel asked.

“I don’t quite trust the word of a noble,” Hazan admitted, “I don’t want to risk disappointing our friends if she has lied.”

“Her word is her bond,” even Terri sounded surprised that Hazan might think the Queen had lied to them.

“That doesn’t mean her advisors might not force her to go back on her word,” Elise had to reluctantly add.

“True,” Celia said with a frown. She rose from her seat gracefully, “But either way, I think we’re done for tonight?”

“Thank you for your help,” Hazan said with a polite nod as Celia left.

Ra’hel also got up, her skirts swirling around her long legs. “We’d be best going too, m’love,” she said.

“Excuse me for a moment,” Hazan said, gesturing for Terri and Ra’hel to leave.

Terri frowned but nodded, “Don’t take too long, ma’am.”

Elise met Hazan’s gaze calmly once the other women left, “Yes?”

“Did you bring up the possibility of the Queen changing her mind intentionally?” Hazan asked, swirling her drink around in it’s cup.

“I won’t discuss what goes on in my mistress’ house,” Elise met her eyes defiantly, “but I can say that she has not so advised the Queen.” A wry smile, “The Duchess may dislike you, but she doesn’t oppose our cause.”

Hazan relaxed a little, “I’m sorry.”

“I mentioned it because her advisors likely think this is a dangerous move for her to make,” Elise relaxed a bit as she continued, “we both know it’s a gamble, especially with everything else that’s going on.”

“War, quite possibly,” Hazan agreed. “I had to pledge our support for that, in exchange for our chance to become a recognized guild.”

“Celia will be most upset when she finds out you promised that,” Elise predicted.

“I’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,” Hazan said with a shrug. She picked up her coat, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Elise sighed as Hazan quietly left.

Terri rushed back in once Hazan was gone, hurrying to Elise as she asked, “She didn’t try to pressure you...?”

“It’s all right,” Elise quickly reassured her.

“Thank goodness,” Terri took Elise’s hands in hers as she said, “I couldn’t bear it if she mistreated you.”

“Terri,” Elise smiled shyly, squeezing her hands in hers.

A blush colored Terri’s cheeks, the younger woman looking into Elise’s eyes. “You know,” she said to her quietly, “I actually ask that tonight’s meeting be held in my father’s home in the city.”

“Oh?” Elise asked, though she suspected she knew why.

“I wanted to see you outside our meetings,” Terri smiled, “the few times I’ve talked to you, I’ve found you most charming.”

Elise hesitated a moment, then nodded slightly. “I’m not expected back til later,” she said, “I’d love to stay and talk a bit.”

“I’m glad,” Terri squeezed her hand gently again.

To be continued...