Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Face Down ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Face Down
 
Disclaimer- I don't own the lyrics to “Face Down” by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.
 
Kai watched as Aymi, the girl he lived next to, walked out onto the balcony and leaned against the rail. He knew why she was out there. Her boyfriend had once again hit her with some random flying object before storming out of the apartment. He did it often and Kai couldn't for the life of him figure out why she wouldn't just leave already. He had told her on more than one occasion that all she had to do was ask and she could live with him. But she refused, saying that Rei, her boyfriend, didn't mean it and that he was just stressed. Kai knew better though. He had seen her walk out onto the balcony on many occasions with bruises all over her face and he would bet anything that they also covered her body.
 
Hey girl you know you drive me crazy
one look puts the rhythm in my hand.
Still I'll never understand why you hang around
I see what's going down.
 
Tonight was no different. She walked out and sat down in a small chair with her knees pulled to her chest. He watched as she wiped tears from her face only to have them replaced by fresh ones. He sighed and walked over to the door to the balcony. He was determined this time to get her to move out. This had to stop.
 
Cover up with make up in the mirror
tell yourself it's never gonna happen again
you cry alone and then he swears he loves you.
 
“Aymi,” he said softly, jumping over to her balcony so he could talk to her easier, “are you ok?” `Ok, I'm officially the dumbest person on the planet! Of course she's not ok!' She didn't answer him and when he tried again she just moved so he couldn't see her eyes. But when she did she exposed the side of her head to him, what he saw made him see red.
 
Do you feel like a man
when you push her around?
Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?
Well I'll tell you my friend, one day this world's going to end
as your lies crumble down, a new life she has found.
 
“Aymi, look at me!” Kai said, gently pulling on her chin with one of his slender fingers. “I'm going to take you to the hospital ok? You have to get taken care of. Please look at me Aymi.” She slowly raised her head to look at him and he had to repress the urge to kill Rei. She had a black eye and her nose looked broken. Her lip was split in three places and she had a gash just above her right eyebrow that looked to be in desperate need of stitches. “Oh Aymi,” he said softly, “what has he do to you? Please let me take you to the hospital.” She nodded and he smiled, reaching around to pick her up. He jumped back over to his balcony and it broke his heart when she winced but he had to get her cleaned up. And he didn't want to risk running into her boyfriend.
 
A pebble in the water makes a ripple effect
every action in this world will bear a consequence
If you wade around forever you will surely drown
I see what's going down
 
He rushed into the bathroom and quickly cleaned her wounds to the best of his ability. Then he left the apartment, making sure that Rei was nowhere to be seen. When they got to the hospital he left her in the car as he ran to get help. He came back accompanied by two doctors and a wheelchair. They helped her into it and then rushed her back to a room where they transferred her to a bed.
 
I see the way you go and say your right again,
say your right again
heed my lecture
 
“Sir, can you tell me exactly what happened?” one of the doctors said, watching as the other doctor quickly checked Aymi's vitals.
 
“I do not know what happened, I found her on her balcony. She lives next to me. I think that her boyfriend beat her up; I know he does it frequently.”
 
“Well,” the doctor, who Kai discovered was named James, said, “We'll take care of her. The best thing you can do is go sit in the waiting room. We'll come and get you as soon as she is all cleaned up.”
 
“Ok, please do whatever you can.” He sighed and walked back out into the waiting room. He had wanted to scream that he wasn't going to leave her side, but he hadn't. That would have only made things difficult and it would have taken them longer to care for her. And he didn't want that.
 
Do you feel like a man
when you push her around?
Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?
Well I'll tell you my friend, one day this world's going to end
as your lies crumble down a new life she has.
 
As he sat in the chair he began to think back to before she had started going out with Rei. She had always been full of energy and laughter. Now, she never laughed. He had done this to her. He had reduced her to this. Kai sighed and rested his head in his hands. H wished he could take away all her pain. He couldn't count the number of times he had listened as she sat on her balcony and cried. He was determined to change that. He wouldn't let her go back to him. Even if he had to sell his apartment and move somewhere else, it didn't matter as long as she was safe.
 
The more he thought about it the more he realized he needed to get her as far away from him a possible. But would she go? She had been ridiculously stubborn and naïve about her current situation. Hopefully this would make her realize she had to get out. If she didn't, Rei was going to continue to slowly kill her mentally and physically.
 
One day she will tell you that she has had enough
He jumped up when he saw the doctor come back through the door. “Is she ok?”
 
“She's fine. She broke her nose, but we fixed it and stitched her up. She just needs to take it easy for a while.”
 
its coming round again.
“Ok, she can go home though right? I mean, not her home. But, can she leave or does she have to stay here?”
 
The doctor sighed, “She can go home, but I think you should consider finding a place where she can be away from this boyfriend. If he tries anything again, call the police. I would suggest doing it now, but it might have a negative reaction on her. Do you have someplace you can go?”
 
its coming round again.
 
Kai thought for a moment and sighed, “Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The problem is I don't know that she would go with me.”
 
 
“Just try, her body can only take so much before it breaks.” He nodded and the doctor showed him back to the room where she was. She was sitting on the bed with her hands folded in her lap. She barely even acknowledged him when he walked in.
 
Do you feel like a man, when you push her around?
Do you feel better now as she falls to the ground?
 
“Aymi?” he said, placing his hand on her shoulder. “Are you ok?” `Again with the dumb questions, come on Kai get a grip!' She looked up at him with blank, emotionless eyes. “Come on,” he said, “let's get you out of here.”
 
She nodded and allowed him to help her up and out to the car. “Aymi, I am taking you to my friend, Kasey's house, you'll like her I promise. You just can't go home right now, ok?” She remained silent. “Aymi? Please say something Aymi.”
 
Well I'll tell you my friend, one day this world's going to end
as your lies crumble down, a new life she has.
 
He started the car and headed out into the countryside. `I just hope she's home…' he thought. He was pretty sure that she would take them in; after all she was sure to sympathize with the poor girl. As he pulled out onto the highway he thought he heard her mumble a feeble, “ok,” but he couldn't be sure.
 
The next morning, Kai woke with a start, surprised to find that she wasn't next to him. She'd made him sleep with her, unwilling to let go of him in an unfamiliar house. Stretching, he rose from the bed and set out to find her. He didn't have to go far. He found her out of the porch and he smiled at her as he moved to sit beside her on the swing.
 
“He can't win,” she said softly, tears welling up in her eyes as she leaned into him.
 
“He won't.” He pulled her into his lap and kissed her forehead, stroking her hair to comfort her. “He will never hurt you again.”
 
Face down in the dirt she says, this doesn't hurt she says I finally had enough..