Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Gifted Island ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1:

Jinx groaned as she slowly began to register what was around her. She coughed, sending a puff of sand and water from around her face. She continued to cough as she pushed herself with one hand on to her back. She lungs screamed in protest as she sucked down a breath only to have a fit of violent coughs. Jinx struggled for a good five minutes to suppress the coughs and inhaled again, far more shallow this time.

She opened her eyes only to shut them again and attempting to cover her face with an arm. The arm was not so happy that it as being told to move and so it merely tingled like an arm dose when the its hit in the funny bone.

Jinx spent the next few moments getting her eyes to adjust the brightness around her. When she did finally open her eye she found her self-staring up at a brilliantly blue sky. She blinked, confused when she also noticed that she was laying on a sandy beach the water lapping around her caves.

"What in the world..." she said aloud and grimaced from the scratchy dryness of her throat. Using her left arm, the one that didn't hurt, to push herself up into a sitting position. The ocean stretched out before her and merged with the sky on an invisible horizon. With some effort she turned around far enough to see the edges of a jungle starting at the end of the beach.

Jinx opened and closed her mouth several time in disbelief. She was on an island! An ISLAND! How in the world did she get on an island? It was then the she felt the bathing suit under her clothing of shirt, jeans and complementarily shoes with the logo of Sunny Palms Cruise liners.

That was right she had won a feed cruise from some random drawing. It wasn't if Jinx had said that she had wanted to go on the cruise. But it was free and she had had nothing to do for the whole summer off of school. But now she was on a beach and want looked as if there was no one else here. Has she done one of those 'few hours on a random island beach thing'. No, no she had made sure not to sign up for any of those things.

Jinx's throat began to hurt even more, parched of a moisture so Jinx worked her way on to her feet, careful not to move her right arm to much, and made her way along the beach looking for water.

She frowned in concentration, trying to remember how she had gotten here. Out of habbit she ran her fingers through her hair, pulling back the few stands that had escaped her ponytail. Suddenly she winced as her nails hit a bump.

"Must have hit my head.” she muttered to herself looking at her fingers to make sure there wasn't any blood. For now she would give up how she got here and ran over a few things about herself to make sure that bump wasn't anything serious.

Her name was Temprance Jinx Wayon, she went by her middle name. She was seventeen, five eight. And she lived in southern California with her foster parents and foster sister who was a few months older then she was.

It was another few minutes later when she was finish quizzing herself and reciting a few favorite quotes. About hundred yards from where she woke up, she found a stream that emptied into a lagoon created by a peninsula jutting into the sea.

Jinx testing her right arm, flexing her fingers. Deciding it was save to use she knelt down and scooped a handful of the running water into her hands and took a drink. It was surprisingly cold and refreshing, almost sweet. Jinx took another few drinks before sanding again. She didn't what to drink to much in case the water was not sanitary. She would want to get a fire started and boil the water before drinking any more.

"Ha!" she laughed to herself, so all those hours watching the Discovery change went to going to go to waste. Jinx's foster sister, one of those girls who were putting on make-up at nine and had over fifty boyfriends by the ninth grade, had always gripped at her for spending so much time watching 'how to survive nature' shows at not enough giving her attention.

Suddenly, Jinx's stomach knotted itself as she thought about her foster sister, which lead her to thinking about her foster parents, who weren't all that bad, then her few friends at school. She was never going to see than again was she? She was stuck on this island and no one would ever know how to find her.

Jinx felt her eye brim with tears. She dropped to her knees and hastily wiped away the salty liquid draping to slip down her check. Biting her bottom lip her worked past the little sobs of fear and worry. She forced herself to stand up and look out over the peninsula anything to take her mind off this worry of never seeing another person, not dieing, she knew she was not going to die.

Out on the peninsula, something glinted in the sunlight. Swallowing the last the knot in her throat she set off down the sandy stretch of land.

It took her a little longer than she had expected because the change of sand to rock out cropping and pools where sea life live till the tide comes back in. Half way she had taken her shoes off thinking she was less likely to slip with bare feet. Finally to where she had seen the shinny object she hopped down to the water level and pulled a large scarp of metal. One side was unfinished silver and, with some effort, she flipped it over the see elegant writing in blue paint over white. The words read, Bermuda and under that, a bit smaller, Sunny Palms Cruise.

As Jinx sat there staring at the words in front of her, she remembered what had happened. It came back in a rust and sue watched the memories almost a movie inherent mind's eye.

The cruse was suppose to take them through a bit of the Bermuda Triangle, but there had been a storm and it had pushed them a bit farther into the triangle. No one, say for Jinx, had thought second of it. But then the ship started doing weird things, as of electronics they had been cutting in and out before finally quitting altogether. That was when the water around the ship started bubbling, noting after that it began to sink. No one had even noticed anything say for the electronics malfunctioning so when the ship started to skin everyone was panicking. At the rate the ship was sinking very few of the lifeboats got off, but son after they sank to, being sucked down after the giant cruise liner. And when the engine room had hit the ocean water it exploded.

Jinx hadn't even bothered with trying to get to a life t when the ship began to go down. She had just grabbed a floaty and jumped over the side, swimming as fast as she could to get away from the ship. After the ship went down Jinx had swam for a while, dispute her fear of the things that she couldn't see deep under the surface of the water, but soon lost the floatation device. The progress had gotten harder after that.

When she became tried she floated on her back, but she was racked with fear about what might see her when she could see it, she felt like she could have crier with joy when the island speared out of the mist. After that the memories were a little spotty.

Jinx sat for a little while on the rocks, stared unseeingly off into the sea. When the light of the water around the peninsula was becoming noticeably higher and her stomach ached a bit from hunger she worked her way back to the beach pulling the metal along with her.