Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Halo ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey everyone....this is my first original story so please be nice...the end might sound a bit rushed and lame....sorry
When I was three my mother took me on the subway for the first time ever, and that was the last time I saw her. I don't remember her, nor do I remember my full name. All I remember from that time was turning to look at the closing doors of the subway, and watching my mother's back as she disappeared into the crowd. I didn't panic; I just sat down and waited. I truly thought she would come get me, but day became night and everyone had gone home to their loving families. I was alone at three years old.
I looked at the subway doors as they opened once more. A man, roughly around eighteen, came through the doors and looked at me. He just stood there as the doors closed behind him. His hair was short, and a little spiky and dyed read. As he stared; his intense honey eyes burning into me. That was the moment my life changed, and I would no longer be an innocent three year old who lost her mother. No, I would be Halo, a three year old girl found by the most dangerous man on the planet.
~ ~ ~
My story begins when I am seventeen years old. My name is Ella, but I am the only person who knows that. To everyone I know, which is one person, I am Halo. All my life I have been trained to fight, and I am not sure why. When I was brought to this cold dank trailer at the age of three I started my training. I have never been out of this trailer since I was brought here, and that is way my story starts now. At the age of seventeen, for the first time since I was three, I am stepping out of the trailer into the night.
~ ~ ~
The television is on, but I'm not watching it. I'm lost in the world of vampires as I read one of my favourite books. Kismet, the man who took me in from the subway, walks into the room and sets his eyes on me.
 
“Reading those books is pointless; they won't teach you anything about the world. Why don't you read something historical?” he says breaking the mood that I had set. I roll my eyes and look up at him as he plops down on the couch beside me.
 
“Let's put it this way. If vampires were real, then I am the master of that world,” I snap lightly back at him. He tilts his head so he can look me in the eye, and he slowly raises a pierced eyebrow and a smirk plays on his lips.
 
“Oh ya? You really think a book that has no historical facts, and that someone just made up will teach you about real life? Even if vampires were real, that is just a story that came from someone's imagination,” he scoffs at me, and turns off the television. He sets his intimidating eyes on me, and my eyes meet his and I don't even flinch.
 
“Ya, I do think that of conversation. Now let me go back to reading,” I don't wait for an answer, and I stand up and leave with my book. As I walk away I can feel his eyes on my back.
 
“I'm going out tonight,” he mumbles at me right before I turn the corner to my room. I roll my eyes then look over my shoulder at him.
 
“When don't you go out?” I reply lazily. He smirks, his eyes fixated in the black television screen.
 
“And your coming with me,” he purrs out. Lifting his head to meet my shocked eyes with his playful ones. I turn my gaze away from his and go into my room. After a couple of minutes, I hear him stand up and start moving towards my bedroom. He stands in the doorway leaning on the frame. I gaze over at him.
 
“I wasn't joking, you know. Get ready. I'm leaving in twenty minutes.” With that he leaves the doorway to my room. I admit I'm confused. I never leave the house. I wonder what he's up to. I close my bedroom door and walk over to my mirror. I throw my hair up into a messy ponytail and just stare at myself. I sigh lightly in disappointment at what I see. I see a lonely, sad looking seventeen year old. A girl who has nothing to live for, and no one to run to. I'm alone in this big scary world. I let out another sigh.
 
“Halo, I was leaving ten minutes ago!” Kismet shouts down the hall. I roll my eyes and give one last look at myself in the mirror before turning to the door. I walk down the hall to the living room, and stand there looking at Kismet. He looks over at me and growls at my appearance.
 
“What?” I question him, looking down at what I'm wearing. I chuckle lightly at my appearance. I'm wearing a pair of Kismet's old track pants that are way too big, and a baggy t-shirt.
 
“Don't you have anything better to wear?” he asks me in an annoyed tone. Why he bothers asking me at all is a mystery to me. He knows as well as I that I only own his old clothes. I don't even know where to get clothes of my own.
 
“Oh, of course I do Kismet. Let me go put on my little black dress,” I spit out at him. He just rolls his eyes and walks away. I follow him knowing he would leave without me, and I am not missing this opportunity to leave the trailer.
 
We've been walking for what seems like hours. Neither of us has said a word. To tell the truth I'm a little nervous. What if he has plans for me, bad plans? I'm only seventeen. I can't die yet; I'm too young. It just wouldn't be right. Then again I could be safe, and I probably am. My imagination gets wild sometimes I guess.
 
“Where are we going, and are we almost there?” I whine to Kismet. He's been walking about three feet in front of me, and ignoring me. I hate when he ignores me, which is almost all the time.
 
“Does it matter? Just shut up and don't get lost,” he snaps at me, not even glancing back at me. I just sigh. I'm used to him acting like this. I don't know why I put up with him; he treats me like crap.
 
After about ten minutes of walking I realise he might not know if I left. Do I really have to put up with his attitude? For most of my life I have been ignored by him, and treated badly. Now I'm finally out of his clutches, and with him ignoring me, I could slip away.
 
I wait until we get to a road that turns off, and as he walks straight I run off down the other road. I don't know if he noticed, but I just keep running not even glancing back. If he is chasing me then I lose, but if not I win.
 
I don't know how long I've been running for, but I have to stop. I turn and look back down the way I came, and I see no one. I wonder if Kismet even noticed that I left. He must have because he's not that stupid. Why didn't he follow me? Not that I want him to follow me.
 
I turn around to start walking, but there is a person in my way. Looking up I see a guy with long blonde hair, and blue eyes looking back at me. I get a little nervous, for I don't like the way he's looking at me. I try to move around him, but he won't let me.
 
“Do you mind, I'm kind of in a hurry,” I snap at him. I don't really feel like dealing with some creepy guy on the street. He chuckles at my comment, and moves out of the way. I give him an odd look, and keep walking.
 
“What's a young pretty girl like you doing out here alone?” he asks me while he walks beside me. I roll my eyes and ignore him, hoping he'll go away. We walk in silence for a while before I finally snap.
 
I face him and bark out, “Why are you following me!” He jumps a tiny bit then smirks down at me. I really don't get this guy, and it's bugging me.
 
“You looked like you need to let loose and have fun,” he claims. I just stare at him, not understanding. Why would some random person think that, and how would he know?
 
“What if I do? It doesn't involve you,” I say as I start walking away. He follows me for a bit without saying anything, and I start to get annoyed.
 
“I could take you somewhere so you can have fun,” he claims. I turn around to look at him, and raise an eyebrow. Should I go somewhere with this guy that I don't know? I could because I bet I'm stronger than him.
 
“Fine, I'll go to this place with you,” I tell him, rolling my eyes. I see his eyes light up a little bit at my answer. Then he starts walking back the way I came from, and I follow. He turns down a small dark alley way, and I start to get a little worried.
 
“Where are we going?” I stammer out, but I don't think he heard me. He just keeps walking, and it kind of reminds me of Kismet. I do admit I am a bit curious about where we were going, so I decided to keep quiet and follow.
 
Finally we stop right beside an old rusty door. I look at him with a look of confusion. He smirks down at me, for he's almost a foot taller. I watch him as he opens the door, and I peek around the corner to look inside. I must say I am shocked at what I see. Inside this old run down building was what I believe is called a club. There are flashing lights, loud music, random alcohol, and dancing bodies everywhere.
 
I look up to notice the guy was gone. Looking around a little panicked, I spot him inside not far from the door. I slowly follow his lead, and enter the dark building.
 
It wasn't until about two hours later that I start to get a weird feeling. I haven't seen Jinx in about an hour. Jinx is the guy I met, and who brought me here. I also started to notice these people are different. There's something strange going on. That's when I decided it's time for me to leave and go home.
 
I'm halfway home I think, and I'm a little lost. I also think I'm being followed, but I ignore it. I wonder how mad Kismet going to be. He may never take me out again.
 
“Why did you run?” I jump and spin around at the sound of Kismet's voice. He's standing behind me, and he doesn't look to happy. I notice the guy I met earlier that night is standing off to the side, and I wonder how he knows Kismet.
 
“I just felt like going out by myself,” I mumble. I kind of feel bad because he might have been worried. If he even has emotions, which I doubt. I give him an annoyed look because of the interruption.
 
“Well you did, and now I'm taking you home,” he says as he turns and starts walking. I follow because I know I'll never win. The other guy, Jinx, walks with us. Nobody talks on the way.
 
About a block away from the trailer I hear something. Kismet stops and looks around, and I watch him. As he looks around I notice somebody hiding behind a truck near the trailer. I just keep watching this person wondering what they're up too.
 
“Kismet, what's going on?” I whisper, and I glance over at him. He seems very tense for some reason.
 
“Shut up Halo,” he hisses back. Something is definitely going on, but what? Then without warning some guy jumps out of the bush and lands on Kismet. I yelp from being startled, and watch in shock.
 
“Halo, run and hide!” Jinx yells at me. I watch as he tries to get the guy off of Kismet. I don't want to leave them.
 
“Run now!” Kismet yells, and I listen. I run as fast as I can, and head towards the trailer. I don't look back until I'm at the trailer. I turn and look, but no one's there. Kismet and Jinx are gone. The guy who attacked them comes out of the bushes looking very beat up. I slowly back towards the trailer, keeping my eyes on him. I don't notice some one is behind me until my arms are grabbed, and held behind my back.
 
“Dakota, over here,” the girl behind me shouts. I don't try to break free. I want to see what these people want. I watch the other guy walk towards us, and stops right in front of me.
 
`What do you want?” I snap at him, and give him my best glare. He raises an eyebrow at me. I look him over, and notice the weapons he has.
 
“Just do it, Dakota,” the girl says, and I try to look at her.
 
“Do what?” I ask a little panicked. I look back at the guy, and stare in shock as he pulls out a weapon. I start to fight against the girl, but she's stronger than me.
 
“Who are you people, and why are you doing this?” I shout, and my voice is a little shaky. I try again to pull free from the girl, and this time it works. I push her and she falls backwards. I turn and face the other guy and back away a little. He gives me a confused look, and puts his weapon away.
 
“You're not a vampire are you?” he asks me, and I give him a bewildered look. Vampire, what is wrong with this guy.
 
“No...Why do you ask?” I question him. I hear the girl move, and I turn my back away from her.
 
“Well you were walking around with two of them,” he says. I raise an eyebrow at him.
 
“Vampires you say? Where do you get this idea?” I ask a little shocked at what I'm hearing.
 
“Are you telling me you didn't know they were vampires?” he asks me. I shake my head at him, and he sighs.
 
“You can't really believe this vampire thing,” I say, trying not to laugh.
 
“I'll prove it to you. Follow me,” he says. Why not I think, and I start walking with him and the girl.
 
“So where are we going?” I ask.
 
“To a vampire den,” Dakota tells me. I just nod, and go along with what he says.
 
After a bit of walking we end up at the same club I just came from. I look over at Dakota.
 
“This is a vampire den?” I ask.
 
“Ya it is,” Dakota answers. He goes up to the door and opens it. He goes into the club, but I wait outside with the girl.
 
Dakota comes out ten minutes later, and he's with a girl. The girl seems a little drunk. I watch as Dakota talks with her, and I think he made her mad. She growls and I see her fangs flash as she dives at him. Right before she bites him, the other girl stabs her with a knife, and she turns to dust.
 
“Thanks Tyler,” Dakota says to the girl. I just stare at the place the girl was, and I must say I'm shocked.
 
“So she was a vampire?” I ask still shocked.
 
“Ya, most of them in there are,” Tyler, the girl, says. I look at her and blink.
 
“And that makes you?” I ask, not too sure what to say.
 
“We kill them. We're vampire slayers,” Dakota says. I just stare at him dumbfounded. I admit I'm a little scared right now.
 
I need time to think about this. My mind is just spinning. Vampires are real, and the person I live with is one of them. I can't go home now that I know this. Should I go with these people, and do what they do? If I think about my books, then these people are doing the right thing, but what if vampires aren't mean like in the books? I look over at the people I just met.
 
“Can I join you and do what you're doing?” I ask them. Finally making up my mind.
 
“Can you fight?” Tyler asks me looking a little annoyed.
 
“I believe I can. The vampire I lived with trained me to,” I tell her.
 
“Then welcome aboard,” Dakota says with a smile.