Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Haven ❯ Volume #1, Chapter #1: Promise ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Promise
Gun shots filled the air. Friday night and slaughter war time. The Raven Fang and Dog Claws were at it again. Sixth battle this month. Both gangs met up in the Arizona desert. Bonez stepped forward. His rattling chains commanded authority. The Dog Claws' leader cut off his bike.
“Two of your boys took my bitches last night!” he snapped. Bonez held back a laugh.
“Well if you knew how to keep them happy,” he said. “No problems.” DC's leader gritted his teeth.
“Asshole!” he snapped. One of the thugs threw a rock at Bonez. He used his chains to counter it. The rock his DC's leader in the face. He gritted his teeth.
“Get `em!” he yelled. The two gangs charged to attack. Passerby were smart enough to stay away. Knives and chains dominated the battleground. The clashing of metal filled the sky. *Yawn* Looks like another stalemate.
Oh, but what's this? Shots filled the Arizona night sky. The first shot set everything into motion. The gangs looked up.
“What was that?” Ozzy, Bonez's second-in-command, asked as he looked up at the sky. But, the increasing battle cries drowned out his question. Drops of blood danced everywhere. Ozzy searched for the source of the sound. Two more shots followed behind.
It didn't take Ozzy long to grasp the turn of events. Oh shit!, he thought. The thug looked around for the source of the shots. This didn't fit the Dog Claw's style. The loved blades, rocks, and bikes over any other weapon. Reinforcements? No! The Dog Claws took too much pride in snuffing out the enemy themselves. Then…
“He's down!” Ozzy heard someone yell. The thug looked up in the warning chaos. Bonez lied in a pool of his own blood. Ozzy's eyes shot wide open.
“Boss!” he yelled as he raced to the fallen leader. Bang! Ozzy went down hard. That was all she sang.
Three in the morning in their usual shady hospital. Ozzy opened his dull, burnt red eyes. I'm alive?, he thought. The thug blinked twice.
“I'm alive!” he said.
“Yes, yes,” an old man responded behind him. Ozzy turned his head and looked up. Dr. Finn finished bandaging his shoulder. The thug made an odd face at him.
“Pops?” he asked. “What are you doing here? Where am I?”
“My clinic,” the doc said. “You all came here with another battle with those Dog Claws.” It took Ozzy a moment to piece it all together in his brain. He quickly sat up in place.
“Stay still!” Dr. Finn ordered. “You're still healing. I just pulled out a bullet out of your back!” Ozzy's mind went into shock.
“Someone shot at us?” he asked.
“Looks like it,” he doc said. “I can't think of any other way a bullet could get in four of you guys.”
“And Bonez? Where is he?” the thug questioned. Dr. Finn's pale, wrinkled hands trembled.
“It's not good,” he mumbled. Ozzy turned and grabbed him by the coat.
“What do you mean?”
“Calm down, Ozzy!”
“Where is he? Where's Bonez?!?”
“In the graveyard ward!”
The thug leapt out of bed and raced down the hall.
“Walk!” Dr. Finn yelled. “You're still injured!” The thug didn't listen to a word he said. Once he made it to the graveyard ward of the underground hospital, Ozzy searched the darkened rooms until he came to the last one on the left. Bonez lied in bed, bleeding through his bandages and breathing slowly. His orange eyes glowed in the dimly-lit room.
“Oz?” he asked in a whisper. “Oz, is that you?” The second-in-command took small steps into the room.
“It's me, boss,” he said.
“Come closer,” Bonez whispered. Ozzy complied. He leaned down to his boss. With what little breath he had left, Bonez, whispered out a final job to his second-in-command. Ozzy looked down at him.
“Why are you talking like that?” he asked.
“Go!” Bonez whispered. Then, he took his final breath and shut his eyes for good.
The next morning, Ozzy took the bus to Death Hole Valley. Bonez's final instructions lingered in his head at the front door.
“Take care of my sister,” he whispered. After the boss died, Ozzy stood back and nodded.
“Okay,” he promised. “I won't let you down.”
Stairway to Heaven