Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Legends Academy ❯ Wakey, wakey ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legends Academy
By: AnimeGirl214
 
Begin Chapter One…
 
Wakey, Wakey
 
My name is Artemis Haun. I am thirteen years old and I am a student in a school called “Legends Academy”. This is the story of how I got there and what adventures I faced within its grounds.
Being a simple, abet smart, farm girl, I didn't expect my life to be turned upside down in one day…
It was the first day of summer, but that didn't stop mum. Being tired as I was it didn't occur to me that there was something I didn't know until it was far too late to change it…
 
"Artemis! Time to get up Arty! Come on, wake up!" my mother called up the steps. "No. Saturday. Need sleep." I said to my pillows, too tired to move. "Too bad! Up. Now!" She parried. "Geeze mom! It's six in the morning! I. Want. To. Sleep." I said, trying to make her shut the heck up. Who gets up this early on a Saturday? Do I have something to do today? "Hey! Are you listening to me!? Get up before I make you!" Said my mom, walking up the steps. Actually, more like STOMPING. "I'm up, I'm up." I said loudly. The foot stomps stopped. That can't be good. I was right.
All of a sudden the blankets were torn off of me, leaving my wide awake. "What the heck?" I cried, sitting bolt upright. I held my eyes closed as I felt around my feet for my suddenly non-existent blankets. “Mum!” I whined, still searching for my blankets. “It's the first day of summer AND a Saturday! I just got out of school, I NEED to sleep in!” There, that's a good reason. I thought, plopping down on my bed, grateful for the electric blanket that I had bought last week. "Up. Now." I heard of my mom say through her giggles. "Mum! How's that funny?" I said, pouting.
I opened my eyes, trying to adjust to the dark. I was thrown backwards when my mom chucked my blankets at me. "Hey!" I said, voice muffled through about seven layers of fabric. "Honey, get out of there before you suffocate." My mom said between laughs. "Mum?" I said, trying to sound innocent. "What?" She said, voice laced with suspicion. "Five more minutes? Please!?" I begged. I heard her sigh. "Alright. Five minutes, but not a second more." She said eventually. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I said, burying myself in warm, soft blankets. I drifted off to sleep smiling.
After what seemed like five seconds I was frozen in my bed. "Blankets please." I said in a sleepy voice. "I don't think so, five minutes are up." I heard my mom say, "If you don't get up I'm opening the blinds!" I just wrestled my blankets back from her. But before I could even cover up again I was nearly blinded by light. "Hey!" I cried, trying to block out the glare from the windows. Even though there was a barn blocking most of the sun out there, my side of the house was right next to the fields, so the two thirds of my room that weren't blocked by the barn were bathed in light. Very bright light.
“There's a reason those things are called "blinds"!” I exclaimed, turning away from the windows. "I think I need to learn to read brail now." I said slowly, rubbing my eyes. My mom just laughed, coming into view. "Ok, sorry. How about I start your shower for you?" She said, still smiling. "Alright, you know how I like it?" I asked my mom. She nodded, walking into my bathroom. I heard the shower start so I went to my dresser to get my clothes. "Ok, how about a layer shirt and jeans?" I asked myself, trying to decide what to wear. I shook my head, trying to think.
I just grabbed the selected outfit, walking to the bathroom. My mother stepped out just as I reached the door. She was grinning broadly. "I don't like that look." I said, stepping past her. I locked the door and looked in the mirror. Wow, no bed head. That's new. "Hmmm. Maybe I didn't get enough sleep to get bed head!" I said loud enough to be heard all the way downstairs. "Good for you honey." I heard my mom say from somewhere in the hallway. "Whatever." I said simply, taking off my clothes.
I stepped into my shower, about to be shocked out of my mind. I turned so the water was hitting me and instantly jumped out. I wrapped myself in a towel, now fully awake. And freezing. "Madison Haun, what kind of a mother are you?!" I screamed, running out of my bathroom. My mom walked back into my room, shrugging and saying, "Look at it this way, you're not tired anymore." I gaped at her. “No, but I am cold!” I gave her a death glare, and then burst out laughing. Once I stopped, I walked back into the bathroom, locking the door again. "I'm SO going to get you back for that!" I said, still cold.
I adjusted the water temperature so that it was actually warm. I waited a minute or two, letting it heat up. Once it was at a reasonable temperature I folded up my towel and stepped in. I let a jet of hot water hit me in the forehead, enjoying the warmth that was spreading through my body. Much better.
Ten minutes later my mom knocked on the door, saying, “Arty, come on. Drown yourself another time. You need to get ready!” The question I wanted to ask suddenly popped back into my head, “Ready for what?” I asked, wondering what the heck I was forgetting. “You'll see honey, now hurry up.” She said. “Fine!” I answered.
I turned off the water, stepping out of the shower. I wrapped a new towel around myself, turning to the mirror and wiping it off. I brushed my waist-length wavy brown hair, putting it into a simple ponytail. Getting dressed I realized that my mother never kept things from me. I wonder why she did this time.
As I tied up the ribbon I had used to replace the string on my boots, I wondered why I had to get up so early. After all, my mom always planned things in the afternoon. Or, at least she told me if they were in the morning.
I examined myself in the mirror, finding that I looked pretty good. “Hey, Mum? Now will you tell me where I'm going?” I asked, stepping out of the bathroom. “Mum?” I looked around my room, wondering where the heck she was off to. I shrugged. She probably was already downstairs. Come to think of it, I think I smell eggs. “Mum? Are you making breakfast?” I called down the stairs. No answer. “Oh well, maybe she just didn't hear me.” I said, turning to my bed. I noticed a piece of paper on my pillow. It read:
 
Arty,
Pack all your things in your trunk and come downstairs. Don't leave ANYTHING behind except for your bed and blankets, you won't need them. You won't be back for a while, so make sure you give your father a hug and kiss, alright? Hurry, you don't want to be late!
-Mom
 
“Ok, that's officially weird.” I said, walking to my dresser again. As I took all my clothes out and put them in my trunk, I realized that this had never happened before. At least, not that I remember. I then unloaded my jewelry box, then my trunk almost full. I had just enough room left to pack my dresses. I didn't have many, but the ones I had were exquisite. They fit in with still a little space to spare. “Hmm, what else do I have to pack?” I wondered, walking in a circle around my room. “I know!” I said, jogging to my closet.
I dug to the very back and grabbed a thin, long parcel from a shelf. It was wrapped in extravagant silver silk that shined like the moon. I didn't really know what it was, but for as long as I can remember, I've had to keep it hidden.
I tried to look into it once, but I heard someone coming up the steps. I managed to wrap it up and get out of the closet before they came into my room, and I've always been curious about it, but I never dared to look again.
I carefully packed it under a dress of the same color, so that it would be less noticeable.
I grabbed my trunk and art bag. My bag had all I needed for everyday life. It had my laptop, plug and extra battery, my sketch books and my art pouch. (That basically held my colored pencils, crayons, markers, and everything else I needed to draw.)
After a moment of sitting on the lid to make sure it closed, I dragged my trunk down the stairs, grinding my teeth at the annoying thumping sound it made as it hit each step. Finally, with a particularly loud thump, it hit the floor and I dragged it along the hardwood floors, completely forgetting about the wheels that were attached to the other side.
“Mum?' I called to the house in general. “In here Honey!” I heard a call from the kitchen. Thinking I heard a footstep behind me, I twirled around to face-nothing. “Hmmm, that's odd. I could swear I heard something.” I muttered. “What was that dear?” I heard from what was previously in front of me. I jumped, spinning around to face the source of the sound. I ended up face to face with my mother, who was probably not much more of a threat than a small dog. “What? Can you teleport or something?” I asked in a shocked voice. My mom just laughed and said, “That's silly Arty, come on. Say goodbye to your father and come with me.” I followed her, turning left to the kitchen.
My father was sitting at the table, reading the newspaper, acting as if nothing new was going on. I walked up to him, giving him a hug from behind. “I love you daddy!” I said, kissing him on the head. “Ok, how much do you want?” He said. I could practically hear him smiling. “Ha ha, very funny dad.” I returned myself to the upright position. “Ok mom, I'm ready to go.” I said, walking back out into the hall. “Alright sweetie, come on.” She said, walking to the garage.
She went over to the silver BMW convertible that would be mine in a few years. I walked up to the passenger seat and got in. Once my mom had entered the driver seat she turned to me. “Arty, close your eyes.” She said, smiling. “Why?” I asked, hoping she was going to give me something. I supposed I was right when she said, “You'll see. But for now I just want you to hold out your hand and close your eyes.” I studied her face for a moment, trying to get a hint from her. Finally I obliged, closing my eyes and putting out my hand. I heard my mom say, “Now honey, remember to keep your eyes closed until I tell you, alright?” I just nodded, still excited.
I felt something round land in my hand. Part of it seemed warm and part was cold. I was tempted to open my eyes to find out what it was in my hand, but I stayed true to my word. Or more specifically, my nod. I then felt my mom's hands around mine. I felt some sort of rushing sensation, like I was in the middle of a wind storm.
When I felt my moms hands leave mine the wind stopped. I heard a voice, my mothers, saying, “Okay Arty, open your eyes.” I took a deep breath. The air seemed to taste salty and fresher.
 
As I opened my eyes I felt them sting a little. Blinking away the tears I looked around. I hardly believed what I saw. My mother and I were in front of an exquisite castle. It was on the edge of a hill, a large one that would probably take a good ten minutes to climb.
At the base of the hill was a beach, which was, or course, very near a large lake. On the other side I saw a mountain range that disappeared into the sky. Even though it was a sunny and cloudless day, there seemed to be a lingering fog surrounding the mountains. Near the happy looking castle and lake they just seemed out of place.
I was dragged out of my reverie by my mother tapping me on the shoulder, saying, “Artemis, come on. There will be plenty of time to look at the scenery later. Right now we need to talk to the headmistress of the school.” I heard her high heels tapping on the stone path that lead up to the castle. “Alright, I- Wait, school? Hold on mom, wait for me!” I said following her.
As I caught up to her I started questioning her again. “Mum, tell me what's going on. Do you expect me to know already? Because if that's it I can truthfully say I haven't the faintest idea where we are.” My mother just kept walking, like I wasn't even there. “Seriously mum, wait up.” I grabbed her arm, successfully stopping her.
She stopped, turning back to me. “Honey, you can ask questions later, but right now I need to speak to someone.” She said, confusing me even more. I just let go and followed her. I knew something was wrong. My mum never acted like this. Finally we reached to doors to the castle and my mother stopped, turning to face me. “Artemis, honey, I'm sorry for not explaining this sooner but I don't want us to be late. I have a very important meeting with the woman who owns this castle. I promise, any questions you have will be answered soon enough. Now please honey, be in your best behavior. This is a big day for you.” I looked at her as if she was stark raving mad. “Okay,” I said, “now I'm even more confused. And what is this?” I added, showing her the thing she had handed to me. At least, I tried to. When I opened my hand I found that it wasn't there anymore. “Arty, it's in your pocket,” My mum said, pointing to my left pocket. As I reached for it my mother hastily said, “Oh! Arty, we're almost late. Come on!” I looked up to see my mom walking in the door. As I stepped into the room I thought I was dreaming. “Wow, this place is huge.” I said slowly, my mom nodded and walked on. As we reached a large staircase and ascended it I wondered how big this place really was.
But before I could even ask I heard someone shout something from a little ways off. I red light flashed from somewhere and I was thrown back against the wall. My head smacked solid stone, painfully. And hard. Painfully hard. I looked up to see who or what did that to me. I was shocked to see that a boy, probably my age, was standing in the hall that led off of the one my mother and I were in. He was holding his right hand out and had an angry look on his face.
“What the HECK was that for?!” I screamed at him, rubbing my head. He looked taken aback to have been spoken to in such a way. Too bad for him, when I'm in a bad mood that's how I spoke. I glared at him as I stood, frowning and clutching my head. “Geeze, that hurts!” I said, more to myself than he. As I turned to face him I realized that my mom hadn't said anything. “Hey, mum, thanks for the backup!” I said in a falsely cheery tone as I looked in her direction.
Seeing as I expected the boy to have gone by now, it shouldn't be surprising that I screamed when I felt two hands grab my arms and force them behind my back. With all the strength I could muster, I tried to get away, but it wasn't enough. I only had one option. Even though I didn't want to, I had to fight him. Looks like I gotta play dirty... I stuck out my leg and swung, sending the boy crashing to the floor.
His arms slackened and I took the chance to back away a few feet. Looking at the boys face, I noticed he was out cold. His head must have hit the floor. “Who is he?” I asked myself, kneeling down. “How did I do that? I've never hurt anyone, ever. And now, here I am, knocking someone out in a matter of seconds. And when he grabbed me, why didn't it hurt? What's happening to-?”
I cut myself off when the boy moved. Ahhh! Not unconscious! Not unconscious! Run away! I mentally screamed, getting up. With one last look at the boy, I ran in the direction my mum had been headed. After five minutes or so I caught sight of my mum and called out to her. But she was still to far away to hear me.
She seemed to be deep in conversation with a woman that looked to be in her early twenties. Once I finally came within earshot I heard my mum say, “Oh, there you are Arty! Where did you get off to?” I just stopped dead and gaped at her. “You're kidding right?” I asked after a minute, wondering why the heck she made it seem like I was a child that had wandered from the yard. “Mum, I was attacked by a crazed teenager! He nearly killed me!” My mother just looked at me and frowned. Then she turned to the woman again, but she didn't have her attention anymore.
The woman my mum had been talking to stepped forward and looked me over. “Ah,” She said, walking up to me. “So this is Artemis? I expected someone a little more-well,“ I was getting annoyed now, so I cut her off, wanting to vent a little. “A little more what?” I asked in a voice that clearly said “Back off or gain a stump.” She too looked taken aback when I spoke to her like that. After nearly being killed and then having it brushed off like nothing, I was REALLY mad. The woman stuttered, clearly getting the message. “Nothing,” She turned back to my mother, “She looks as expected.” I just growled, yes, growled! I know only dogs are supposed to growl but I was just FUMING. I fact, I wouldn't be surprised if smoke was coming out of my ears right about now.
“Mum, when are we going home?” I asked, trying to at least SOUND calm. She said something to the other woman and walked over to me. “Honey, we will be here for a while, probably a few days. I'll ask the headmistress to find us rooms in a moment, alright?” She said. I nodded, trying to keep from exploding. My mom seemed to understand why I was fuming. That would make one of us…
“Arty, I know this is hard for you. I went through the same thing when I was your age.” I looked down. Away from the strange woman, away from the weird castle's walls, and away from the person I trusted more that anyone else.
“Mum? Do you mind if I go for a walk?” I asked after a moment. I felt my mum's hand on my shoulder. “Of course Arty, take your time.” I nodded and walked away, trying to keep my shoulders from jerking up as I took some deep breaths. Despite my inner feelings I held my head high.
After a few minutes of going strait down a hall I took a sharp turn left. Once I had rounded the corner I fell back against the wall.
As I leaned against the cold stone I closed my eyes and slid down the wall, ending up in an upright fetal position. With my head resting against my knees I just sat there for a while. I was jolted out of my “moment” by what sounded like footsteps walking past me. But once I had the sense to look up there was no one there.
Sighing, I got up and wandered in the general direction of the doors. Eventually I came upon the grand stairway and descended it, hand resting lightly on the railing. As I reached the bottom I turned around, as if I was a princess making a grand entrance. But I did not smile. I just wanted to see what it felt like.
I stepped out of the doors, walking to a large group of trees, about big enough to hold five people and tall enough to tower about ten feet over a full grown adult. It was practically right up next to the doors but still hardly noticeable. There was something in them, I noticed, so I walked up to them, only to walk strait into a large stone. It was about ten, maybe twelve feet tall. Perfect. I thought, climbing the entirety of it in about fifteen seconds. Upon reaching the top, I reached for my bag and found that it wasn't over my shoulder. I turned in a tight circle, thinking it might be behind me, and lost my footing.
I fell off the edge and landed on the ground. The very, very hard ground. As I got up I could swear I heard laughter. I spun around again, looking for the source, and fell back again. This time, though, closing my eyes tight, I caught myself and ended up in a bridge form. When I opened my eyes again, I saw a pair of sneakers and the edge of a khaki pant leg.
“Well, agile, aren't you?” I heard a boy's voice say. There was a slight Russian accent to his voice. Well, he's a long way from home, isn't he? I think.
As I bent out of the position, which, I regret, involved thrusting out my chest for momentum, I snapped, “At least I have the decency not to sneak up on people!”
I turned, not expecting to see the boy that had attacked me earlier. But there he was, in all of his thoroughly annoying glory. I smirked, showing him my perfect white teeth. “Well, I didn't expect to see you again.” I started, climbing back onto the rock. Once I reached the top I grinned down at him. I let out a heaving dramatic sigh and placing my hand on my shoulder blade in a theatrical gesture, “But alas, fate is cruel.”
I turned away, looking around for my bag. Realizing it wasn't on the rock and assuming it had fallen off; I looked back, ending up face to face with the teenager I had just insulted. He grinned, showing me what was probably his best vampire smile. A shiver ran down my spine, but luckily, he didn't notice. “Looking for-?” He started, holding out my bag. I grabbed it from him before he finished asking and actually kicked his hand away.
Without a second thought, I walked to the other side of the stone and sat near the edge, opening up my bag and taking out my laptop. As I glanced at the start bar I noticed that I had internet access around here, somehow. Playing a song on LimeWire and singing along softly, I opened a file in my documents labeled “The Hero School”, scrolling to where I left off.
As I started typing I felt movement next to me, but I didn't spare it a glance. I only stopped when I heard a voice say, “And literate too? Where've you been all my life?” I took a deep breath and, as one of my friends would say, “Centered my chakra”, building up strength.
Honing in on the person who spoke, I started typing again, buying some time. Then the person spoke again. “You know it's rude to ignore your superior, don't you? Or perhaps you're just unintelligent.” I stopped dead, taking a very deep breath. After a moment I resumed typing, mentally vowing that I wouldn't punch this kid if he said one more thing, which was what I was on the verge of doing.
“Hey, are you listening to me?!” I just kept typing and said in my sweetest voice, “Nope!”. He swore, shaking with anger. I just smiled, living it up. I felt him stand up, and a braced myself for the explosion.
 
Boom.
 
“Listen, you little brat! I'm talking to you!” He said, flecking spit all on my head. This, while being very disgusting, was also a very good instigation.
With a sigh I closed my laptop, smiling. But I forced my face into my best bored look, which, incidentally, never failed. I stood up slowly, gathering dramatic effect. I slowly turned as I did so, making it seem as though I was ticked off, which I was slowly approaching anyways. Once I reached full height, I gave him a chance to insult me one more time before I kicked his butt. He took that chance, saying, “What? Are you scared of little old me?”
I scoffed, and the corners of my lips turned up in the ghost of a smile. “Oh, I'm sorry.” I started, allowing my smile to grow, “Was I supposed to be?” That did it.
With a scowl he ran at me, which I easily evaded. He then threw a punch at me, which I caught right before impact. He tried with his other hand and I caught that too. Now struggling to free his both hands, he gasped, amazed at my strength. Most people were, seeing as I was about three times as strong as the biggest guy on the football team. Not many girls were like me. But I suppose that's what comes of living on a farm and taking care of horses since I could walk. Now it was time to use that to my advantage. With one good push I had the teenager hanging over the edge of the rock. The only thing holding him up was my hand on his shirt.
“Hmmm.” I said, smiling my vampire smile. “I do believe it's time for an apology.” The boy only snarled, trying to keep his balance. “Tut, Tut. Don't you know it's rude to ignore a lady?” I asked, wagging a finger at him. His only response was a very rude hand gesture. “Alright, have it your way.” I said, promptly letting go.
The boy fell the whole way down, landing on his rear end, or so I thought. I chuckled as I turned and went back to my story, only to bump into the apparently well toned chest of that boy again. “You're not going to get rid of me that easily.”
He threw a few punches, bruising up my face a little. After about a half-hour, he finally dropped me on the stone, saying, “There, now make sure you don't mouth off next time you see me.” He jumped off the edge, walking back to the castle.
I returned to my story, successfully typing a good five pages before I decided to stop and draw instead. As I got out my sketch book, that boy crossed my mind. For about the twentieth time so far. Realizing that it was nearly midday now, I decided to draw the scenery around me.
As I started a rough sketch of the mountains, I let my mind wander. First I thought about how everything was going today. Not bad. I contemplated, Except for the waking up at six o'clock on my first day of vacation, nearly being pulverized by an idiot boy, and being dragged off here in the first place. To be attacked by an idiot. Idiot. I tried to think of something good that happened today, but all I could think about was that stupid boy! I guess he's not the only thing I hate. Stupid hormones.
Eventually my mind found its way back to my head. I had let my eyes droop shut a little, so I really didn't know what I was drawing. As I opened them I gasped, trying to believe what I had just drawn. Smiling back at me was the insolent jerk I had fought. “No way. There is NO way I drew that.” I said, staring at the picture. I gasped again as I felt a person walk up behind me.
“Way.”
End Chapter One…
 
 
 
So, how did you like my first chapter? I know it's kind of long but that's the way I work. The next chapter will take a while, seeing as I'm going back to school in a few days. Sorry for the cliffhanger, but I'll tell you now, I'll be famous for them!
All due respect
-AnimeGirl214