Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Legends Academy ❯ A Day In the Sun ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Begin chapter 8...
 
A day in the sun.
 
The rest of the day, I just sat in front of the fireplace, gazing into the depths of the flames. I stayed there for hours, until I decided to let my mind falter from it's course.
 
There always was something, well, considering these last few days, I would have to say, magical about the elements, but it was always a bit stronger with me. I had never feared fire. In fact, I loved it. There was a book I read, long ago, that had a fire-eater in it. Since I read it, I'd always wanted to do that. To swim like a mermaid, understand the land like an elf, or fly like a bird! I would love it!
 
But, as I said before, "Fate is cruel.", and it is. More than some think...
 
The sooner you understand that, the sooner you can get on and ahead with you life.
 
But I was different when I said that. Frankly, I hardly knew what was going on. But then, sitting in front of that fire, I understood.
 
This castle, like my mother had said, was a school! The woman my mother was talking to was the head honcho, meanwhile all those other kids, and probably me and Angel, were the students!
 
Happy to be free of my old life, full of ridicule and insults for my intelligence, I literally jumped for joy. I hopped around the room for a moment before Angel, probably thinking I was hurt, rushed in.
 
"Artemis? What was that?" She said breathlessly, leaning on the doorframe.
 
"Angel, do you know that this is?" I said, sweeping my hands around the room.
 
Angel, looking confused, just stared at me. Finally, she said, "Do I want to?" I giggled. "Seriously, do you know that this castle is?" I asked, walking up to her.
 
She shook her head. "Angel, this place is a school! All those other kids weren't exactly a coincidence! I've already met the headmistress, although I didn't know who she was, even though my mum told me." I stopped so I could breathe and Angel could reply. "You know," She started, sitting down one of the couches. "That would explain a lot. My," Angel paused a moment to clear her throat, "Er, family, sent me here. They just said, 'Meet the headmistress'. I suppose this is what they meant."
 
"You know what? It's a nice day, how about we go outside and goof around?"
 
I nodded and Angel rushed to our dressers and pulled something out of hers. She shoved part of the little bundle in my hands and told me to go change in the bathroom, after which she closed the door in my currently protesting face.
 
Still grumbling, I looked at the lump of fabric, realizing that it was actually two slightly smaller bits. Stretching it back into the normal spectrum, I realized it was- I gasped.
 
"Angel!!!!" I shrieked, pounding on the bathroom door. "I am NOT wearing that!"
 
"Then you're not getting out of there. There's no food, and I hardly think you would go to extremes in a bathroom. Put it on or starve. Your choice. All though I suggest you get changed." Said Angel's quickly retreating voice smugly.
 
"Fine." I growled.
 
A few minutes later...
 
I stepped out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped tightly around me. "Why am I wearing this again?" I asked.
 
"Because you didn't want to ruin your clothes and I wouldn't let you out of the bathroom." She said, tugging me to the door with one hand and holding down a large shirt she was wearing with the other. We followed the usual route to the main entrance.
 
We followed a simple dirt path down to the lake. Most of, no, more than the students from the dining hall were out here. In fact, the French girl actually walked up to greet us when Angel and I drew near.
 
"Hey!" I called out, speeding up a little to reach her faster.
 
"Hi." She said. "You know, we haven't been properly introduced. My name is Genevieve." We shook hands, while I replied, "And I'm Artemis. And this," I said, pulling Angel, up next to me, "Is Angel."
 
I stepped out of the way while the girls exchanged greetings. They talked a while, and I realized that Angel had left her towel in our room. When I told her, she wanted to go get it but I left before she could say a word otherwise.
 
Jogging to our room, I slowed down when the hallway got dark. "Oh yeah, the light switch was on the other side." I mumbled, placing a hand on the wall. I started walking slowly but froze when I heard a gentle thump a couple yards away.
 
"Is someone there?" I asked quietly, praying to any and every god that it wasn't-
 
"Who do you think, Artemis?" Said the one voice I had PRAYED I wouldn't hear.
 
My heart sped up. Terror flooded through my mind.
 
The light switched on...
 
There were, luckily, a couple of yards between us. But still, he was right next to my door. I stepped forward timidly. I kept going, even when we were inches apart. And I still kept going until I was right up against him. Literally.
 
"Markarov, can I ask you something?" I asked slowly, so quiet that I hardly heard it. Even so, I felt him nod.
 
"Why? And who? And how?" I said, not making much sense. "Why do you have to kill me? Who was that? And how is all this happening?" I clarified.
 
He shrugged, moving to put his arms around me. "Believe me, I wish I knew. All I can tell you is that there is something different about us. All of us. Angel, you, me, and those eavesdroppers from breakfast." From his tone of voice, I would say he was smiling. "You know, I don't think a girl, let alone anyone, has nearly broken one of my bones. Remind me to hate you later."
 
I giggled softly, pulling away. "I really am sorry about that. But hey, can you blame me?" I said, walking into my room.
 
"I suppose not. But I don't see a way out of it. Good thing we have almost a year to figure it out." He said from the hall.
 
I grabbed a towel from the bathroom and hurried out of the room. "So until then, we're cool, right?" I asked, walking back down the hall. He followed me. "Yeah, we're cool."
 
The both of us walked back to the lake in companionable silence. We cracked up when we saw Angel so deep in conversation with Genevieve that she hardy even noticed when I threw her towel at her. But we started running when she did.
 
Finally we stopped under a tree near the lake.
 
I took off my towel so Markarov and I could sit, but only one of us did. The other had to be pulled down. I blushed.
 
"Markarov, stop staring. You're acting like you've never seen a girl in a swimsuit before." I said, blushing harder yet.
 
He shook his head, snapping back to reality. "Hey. Here's an idea. Can you swim?" H e said, standing again. I nodded as he helped me up, before I realized what he just did. "I can get up on my own too." I said indignantly.
 
The both of us walked to the water, but now before Markarov took off his shirt so it wouldn't get wet. It was my turn to stare then. Luckily, I looked away before he could comment on it.
 
The moment we reached the water, I dived in none-too-gracefully, nearly hitting my head on a rock. Markarov, meanwhile, waded out until he could dive without harming himself.
 
I lagged behind for a moment before catching up with him. "Hey, Markarov?" I asked, slowly getting closer.
 
"Yeah?"
 
"Do you have a nickname? It's really hard to say your name with the right accent."
 
He smiled through the mane of hair that refused to leave his face. "Yeah, you can call me Mark."
 
End Chapter eight...
 
Awwwwww! Mark, that's such a cute name!!!
 
Markarov: ~Twitches~ You're evil, do you know that?
Artemis: Yeah! Leave the poor guy alone! We refuse to work under these conditions! Can't we choose out own nicknames?
 
Me: One: Too bad. I own you.
Two: No. I choose the nicknames.
Three: You guys are agreeing with each other. I thought you didn't do that! Oh, right, I'm making you do that!
Arty & Mark: When did our lives get so damn irritating?
 
Me: When you met each other.
 
Well? I like this chapter a lot. It's short, but really sweet. Any ideas? Let me know!
~AnimeGirl214