Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Life 101 ❯ Psych, You're It! ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Life 101
Chapter 1: Psych, you're it!

The first day of her freshman year.  Yuki grinned in excitement.  Most of the other freshmen were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but Yuki had already been there for about a month.  She and her roommate were already unpacked and settled in, though they were both slightly exhausted.  They had both been practicing with the Ballet Company at the Juliette School of Technology and Arts, and their practices lasted from 9 in the morning to 5 in the evening.  Every day.  But that didn't stop her from being excited.  She loved learning, and she'd get to hang out with some of her friends out of the context of practice.  

On her way out of the dorm building she ran into Charlotte and Gabe in the lobby.  Charlotte was a tall lanky girl with extremely curly red hair.  She had bright green eyes that could pierce, especially when she danced.  She wasn't the Premier dancer for nothing.  Gabe was a premier dancer in their ballet company as well.  He was only a little bit taller than Charlotte, with a lean but muscled build, and shaggy sandy blonde hair.  He looked at Yuki with his baby blues and grinned, "Hey there, little lady!  Where are you heading so early on our first day off?"

"Well, since it's the first day of school I figured I'd go to my classes.  What about you two?"

"We're going to breakfast," Gabe puffed his stomach out and rubbed it as if it was asking for food while the two girls giggled, "then to computer class!"

"Awesome, well I'll see you in computers then.  But only today.  I'm testing out of that class faster than you can say... a short word." Yuki grinned and waved as she made her way to her first class of the day.  Psychology.

As she walked through the campus she smiled as the breeze blew by.  The weather was great; it felt like it was already fall.  The sky looked completely different though, barely holding the storm clouds at bay, but Yuki was prepared.  She had a tiny umbrella stored in her backpack; she had thought ahead today. The science building finally came into view, and Yuki jumped straight into the small mob occupying the stairwell.  She slowly made her way up to the third floor and to her Psyche class.  As she opened the door her smile faltered.  The class was tiny.  She wasn't super early, so it could be assumed that since there were only 8 people there that there would probably not be many more.  This was the honors psychology class, but Yuki figured there would be more than just a handful of students taking it.  She might be the kind of person that liked to socialize, but she really didn't appreciate getting called on in class if she didn't know the answer.  And seeing as she'd never taken a psychology class before she probably wouldn't know the answers.

Since there were only a few seats left Yuki was left with only a few options.  One seat was near a tall thin girl with black hair, and dark green eyes.  Green eyes that were currently giving Yuki a slightly displeased look.  That seat was out.  There was another seat by a Hispanic looking boy, but he didn't look very friendly.  That seat was out too.  The last open spot was between a tall black haired boy with extremely dark blue eyes, and medium length shaggy hair, and her other roommate Penelope.  Penelope was a small girl with straight blonde hair and brown eyes.  The girl was very soft spoken, and easy to miss if she didn't have her adorable doe eyes staring at you.  Yuki grinned and went to sit next to her.  

"Hey," she muttered quietly, "are we the only people in this class?"

Penelope nodded and looked around at their classmates, "There's only about 10 people in it."

"Hmm... Oh well," Yuki shrugged and looked to the boy sitting on her left.  She wasn't trying to be nosy, but he was scribbling notes before class had even started.  As she looked down to what he was writing she realized that it was music.  He was writing notes onto blank staff paper.  Yuki, being a music minor, appreciated this, and began to actually read the music, trying to figure out the melody in her head.  

After a minute or two of staring intently she realized that he had stopped writing completely.  Yuki slowly looked up, realizing she'd been caught.

"Can I help you with something?" She was caught off guard by the deep voice mixed with an Italian accent, but quickly shook it off, only to sputter an explanation.

"I-I'm sorry, I was just -ah... looking?" She blushed and gave him a small cheesy smile, "It sounds nice... by the way."

The boy stared at her for a moment, studying her features. Her blush stained her pale cheeks and seemed to make her light blue eyes even brighter. Said eyes were trying to look anywhere but him, and he gave a slight chuckle, “Do you play?”

Yuki smiled, liking where the conversation was going, “Yeah, flute. I’m Yuki by the way. You?”

“Violin, Aubrey.”

The short answer caught her off guard, and she stared silently for a moment before picking the conversation back up, “Oh? That’s-“

They were interrupted by the professor literally crashing into the classroom. Everyone’s heads snapped towards the doorway to see a crumpled figure on the floor. The skinny man was surrounded by books and papers that had almost exploded out of his hands. A few of the students, including Yuki and Penelope, winced, as his leg seemed to twitch in pain.

As the professor tried to scramble up Yuki jumped out of her seat letting out a small sound of pity. She helped him up and began gathering the fallen papers, “Oh my gosh that was horrible, are you okay? That looked really painful! Here,” she ushered the man into the roll-y chair behind the teachers’ desk, “sit down for a minute.”

As Yuki was tending to the professor Penelope followed suit and began picking up the remainder of papers and books on the floor. As she stacked them all up on the desk she questioned, “Professor? Will you be all right? Do you need me to get the nurse?”

The thin man looked up at the two girls and chuckled, “Ladies, ladies, calm down. You both have passed today’s pop quiz. And for that I commend you.” As he was met with two blank stares he chuckled again, “Today’s lesson was about the Bystander Effect. You two went against your social influence and diffused unneeded responsibility onto yourselves.” The professor was now met with less confused, but slightly surprised and embarrassed looks. He gave one last chortle and sent the two girls to their seats.

Yuki and Penelope walked back towards their corner of the room while both trying to avoid the looks of their slightly miffed classmates. As Yuki sat back down she felt a prickle on the back of her head. Looking to her right she found the culprit; the unpleasant looking girl with black girl was giving her an almost disgusted look. She sighed, looked like she already had an enemy. Hopefully the other girl would just mind her own business. Yuki didn’t want to deal with irrational dislike. Especially not this early in the year.
“Do you help complete strangers often?” Came a question from her left. The voice was that of Aubrey’s and Yuki blushed hoping he didn’t think that she was a complete teachers pet or anything.

“Um… well if someone is hurt I do. You don’t just ignore hurt people.” She glowered at the thought, “It’s not very nice.”

The black haired boy gave a small smile, “You’re right, that would be quite cruel.” Yuki looked at him for a moment, studying his expression before nodding in agreement. He seemed sincere.

The teacher finally got all of his papers organized, and conversation was replaced by note taking until the end of class. They were then promptly sent off to the wide-open world to “test the theories” they had learned in class today. The professor really wanted them all to play mind games on their friends.