Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Lynn ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The pool was cooler than usual tonight. It’s shimmering surface was so tempting despite it’s chilly temperature. The water was her only escape until her husband called to her. With that thought, the water temperature didn’t seem to matter anymore. Without a second thought, she dove in head first, the water chilling her to the bone instantly.

Bringing her head back up to the surface, she took in a deep struggled breath. Her teeth chattered slightly as she swam back and forth to get used to the water. The stars had caught her eye as she began to float, caught in their hypnosis. “Lynn!” a voice called out to her from the edge of the pool. Adverting her eyes from the stars, they rested on the one who called her; her husband. “Come along, Lynn, the water is freezing tonight,” he offered a soft smile and patted the towel over his arm. Lynn nodded with a forced smirk. “Is his shift over already? An entire 20 hours gone so quickly?” she thought to herself as she neared the edge of the pool. That would mean her shift would begin in a couple hours, after they rested. He wrapped the towel around her shoulders, keeping his hands there as they walked. As they passed the giant clock tower, Lynn looked up at her husband. “You’re off early. Is the earth that peaceful tonight?”

Noah shook his head. “If it were, we would be useless. No, it is just that tonight is a special night,” he tugged on her slightly, kissing her shimmering blond hair. Lynn paled slightly as he continued. “So Bridgette said she would begin her filler shift early and stay later so you and I could celebrate,” his voice was so happy, it almost made her sick. But it was true, tonight was their 150th anniversary, around the time when they should start thinking about having a child, and that thought spelt tragedy for her.

The knots in her stomach increased as they approached their home. She had to find a way to stop or slow him. As soon as they were in the house, Noah was quick to drop the towel and pull her close. Her mind raced as she was drawn in for a kiss. An idea sparked as her finger came up to stop his lips. “I’m terribly tired and I still have to do my shift tomorrow so why not we put this off until after my shift when the both of us have no plans?” Noah looked a little hurt but he nodded. “Sure, let’s go to bed then,” he muttered, dropping his arms from her and heading to the bedroom without waiting for her.

Lynn breathed a sigh of relief as he walked away. Picking the towel up from the ground, she tossed in into a basket in the hallway. Looking into the bedroom, Noah was already in bed with his back to the door. He truly was hurt but she was hurting more. Her feet led her to the large window of the living room, where she leaned on the window sill to look out at the night sky again.

Lynn couldn’t come to terms with what she knew in her heart. For 400 years she lived on this planet, a guardian of the humans of earth with the other guardians. It wasn’t like she didn’t enjoy being a guardian, she truly did, it was a gift to be named guardian. Only eight Celestial Beings would be crowned guardians, one for each day of the week and one as a filler for in between breaks. But she yearned for something more. Her husband was a caring person, but he was missing something that could make her truly love him. There was another person though. He was perfect in her eyes. Strong, handsome, caring, adventurous and completely untouchable. He was a mortal of earth and every shift, she watched him carefully. He was a pride of the village where he lived, all the women wanted him but he left the way she did… Lonely.

Much time had passed before the sun woke her from her sitting position on the window sill. It was time for her shift. A bright smile creased her face with the thought she would be able to see him. Lynn made quick work of getting dressed and rushing out of the house to head to the observatory. She didn’t even realize Noah was sitting in the kitchen, watching her as she ran out of the house with eagerness.

Noah was silent as she ran from the house toward the Observatory. For the first time in his life, he had a look of anger on his face. She refused him on their anniversary then didn’t return to bed, but slept on the windowsill all night. He was so disgusted he didn’t finish his breakfast. Instead, he sat there fuming. He thrust his hand through his jet black hair, resting his elbows on the table as his hands held his head.

Lynn entered the observatory to see Bridgette watching the giant screen. On the screen was a battle between two wooden ships. “Are you going down there?” Lynn questioned as she neared Bridgette. “I will have to. It seems that both ships will sink but neither one will retreat. So many souls to escort… So much paperwork,” Bridgette grinned, turning to face Lynn. “How was last night?”

Lynn curled her lips inward for a moment. “Great, it was great,” she nodded. Bridgette rose a brow. “I bet it was,” she remarked as she rose from her chair and made her way to a glowing white plate. “When I go down, you can get to your shift, just make sure the image stays there until I’m gone,” Bridgette instructed, Lynn just folding her arms. “It’s not my first day,”

“Better safe than sorry,” she replied as she stepped onto the plate, slowly vanishing into a white light. “I don’t envy her,” Lynn muttered as she sat down into the chair. Lynn hated when there was a large battle because her entire shift would be filled up with escorting souls to the afterlife and filling down paperwork for every soul, it wasn’t hard just incredibly time consuming. Looking around to make sure she was alone, she searched for her unnamed man that had captured her heart. It took a while but she found him, out hunting with his group. Lynn hoped that none of the men would die so she could stay free to watch him. Animals were not within her jurisdiction, there was another Observatory where other guardians watched over the animals of earth.

Her icy blue eyes were locked intensely onto the battle scene before her. The five men watched the beast from behind a large rock. All the men had fear in their eyes, all except her tanned heart throb. He motioned for them to follow him as he crept up behind the beast, the men following behind him slowly. The beast turned around and noticed the men. It let out a terrible roar as he rose his spear. The four other men shouted at the beast but when it took a step forward and roared back, the four of them ran, leaving only him and the beast.

He jabbed the spear at the beast, knowing he couldn’t take on the beast alone. With lighting reflexes, the beast jumped onto the man, long handle of the spear pressed against the beast’s throat, the only thing shielding him from death. Lynn stood quickly, leaning on the panels to inch closer to the screen. “No!” she screamed, she couldn’t let him die, not like this. Without thinking it through, she ran to the same plate Bridgette had used to be sent to earth.