Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Magi Masuku ❯ A Battle of Magi ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Battle of Magi:
The Morph Pills
 
 
 
“Is he knocked out?” “No way; anyone who could beat me can't get knocked out.” “… Chokitsune, I think your logic is flawed.” “Who asked you, Gumushi?!” “How do we wake him up?” “Uh… Hey, Patora, try putting Watonai on his face.”
 
Masuku opened his eyes to find a large slug on his face. In shock, he sat up, tossed the slug off his face, and looked around, confused. Surrounding him were Patora, Gumushi, and Chokitsune.
 
“What happened?” Masuku asked, confused. Herupanen was sitting beside him calmly. “You were knocked out by the guy in the cloak, remember?” Herupanen reminded him. Masuku rubbed a bruise on his head, the memory coming back to him. “Oh… right… hey, where are all of the guys who were fighting?”
 
“A lot of them used Spatial Magic to go to terrains where they would have the advantage.” Chokitsune explained. “Some of them ran away. The rest are dispersed all around the area. I—.”
 
“Hey!” Masuku exclaimed, suddenly remembering he had been attacked. He stood up quickly. “Where's the guy who attacked me?” He looked around, confused. “I ought to beat that guy up!” Masuku began running forwards blindly, Herupanen following close behind, in a strange search for the Mystery Entrant.
 
 
 
OHMIO:
 
One of the cloaked Magi fell down in pain, his chest scorched by one of Ohmio's electrical attacks. “I have no idea why you idioten are attacking us, but I have better things to do right now.” He said as he pointed his mace at the Magi's comrades threateningly.
 
“A Normal learns how to use magic and thinks he's a god.” A voice said from behind Ohmio. Bubbles suddenly came from behind him and hit his opponents, each of the bubbles exploding upon impact. In confusion, Ohmio turned to face a smiling man.
 
The man had red hair which was gathered in long ponytails coming out of the top and both sides of his head. He had a sleazy smile on his face. He had no shirt, showing he was muscular, and had a large, blue rune tattooed on his chest, along with the Prometheus Mark on his shoulder. His pants were black with yellow leopard stripes on them and he wore no shoes. There was a pouch strapped to his left leg. He held a large staff with a large ring on the top.
 
“My name is Rojo, and I am one of Dr. Prometheus' 12 Saints!” The man introduced, sticking his tongue far out as he said it. “I am, by far, the most powerful of them!”
 
“Wait…” Ohmio began in realization, “Weren't those guys you just blew up your own comrades?!” Rojo laughed loudly at this. “They obviously stood no chance in battle, so I did them a favor and killed them! It's embarrassing when one's comrades show weakness like that!”
 
“You would just kill an ally if they were weak?!” Ohmio exclaimed angrily. Rojo laughed even louder. “He actually cares about his comrades' lives; hilarious! If your teammates fail, you fail! Why give yourself grief like that?! Friends are a waste of time!”
 
Ohmio gritted his teeth angrily. “Like I'm going to listen to some guy who made a deal with a demon, anyways…” he muttered.
 
“Elemental Magic: Bubble Protect!” Rojo yelled as he swung his staff in a circle around him; there seemed to be some permanent soapy water in the ring on the staff, as it made large bubbles wherever it swung. This created a circle of large bubbles around him.
 
“Bubbles…?” Ohmio asked in confusion. “Don't think I'm done, kid!” Rojo said with a laugh. Black tendrils of Spirit suddenly began flowing from the area around his body into the bubbles.
 
“Curse: Wicked Bubbles!
 
The black Spirit filled the bubbles, swirling around. Red, evil eyes appeared on them. They all stayed perfectly still, despite any wind or other force.
 
“I've filled each bubble with a different curse!” Rojo explained joyfully. “When they pop, the curse is released!” The bubbles suddenly moved into a line in front of him.
 
“Elemental Magic: Wicked Bubble Parade!
 
The bubbles all suddenly flew in a line into Ohmio, each one hitting him in the chest and popping. There were ten bubbles in all, and each one stung more than the last. Ohmio eventually kneeled on the ground in pain.
 
Okay… one of my legs has gone limp… and my Spirit refuses to move to my right arm…” Ohmio gathered as he began testing his body. “I can't see out of my left eye and I've gone death in my right ear… to make things worse, I think I've been hit by the Beer-Goggle curse; everything looks like it does when I'm drunk. Okay… that's five curses… and they should be easy enough to get rid of.
 
Rojo reached into the pouch on his left leg and pulled out a round, white pill with two, tiny wings on the side. Ohmio's eyes widened in realization as soon as he saw the pill. “A morph pill?!
 
Rojo held the pill in front of his mouth, tossed it in, and swallowed it. “Morph Pill: Seraph Pill!
 
Crap!” Ohmio thought as he watched helplessly. “Morph pills are powerful, alchemical vitamins that can change a body for five minutes… they were invented thousands of years ago by the famous alchemist Cancer!
 
Rojo gave a gasp of pain and bent over a bit. Two bumps had appeared on his back, on the shoulder blades. Suddenly, two giant, red wings erupted from his back, giving him the appearance of an angel. Rojo stood up straight, although shakily and smiled. “The doctor hands these out to each of the 12 Saints.” He said with a smile. “Good luck beating me with ten curses in your system and me in the air!”
 
“Summoning: Russian Roulette!
 
“What?!” Rojo asked in confusion as the voice called out the spell. A large, wheel of fortune-style wheel appeared floating behind him. It began spinning and, after a while, stopped on a section that had something in Russian written on it.
 
“That's the fun of gambling… anything can happen!” Chancy 7 said from behind Ohmio. “Okay, Rojo! The Russian Roulette had decided on what it will do to you: Heaven Gamble!
 
A bolt of lightning suddenly shot from the sky and hit Rojo. Rojo screamed in pain as the lightning lit him up. After a second, the attack ended and Rojo fell to the ground. He stood up and panted. “So… Chancy 7, the Vermillion Bird, has come to the rescue of some German loser, eh?” He asked mockingly.
 
He glared at Chancy 7 angrily. “I still have 4 minutes and ten seconds left in this form; don't think you'll get off easy!”
 
 
 
SYMPHON:
 
Symphon and Sonent stepped out of the arena and stared at the chaos before him in confusion. Why was all of this happening? Before he could get an answer, however, a voice yelled out a Spell Command.
 
“Beast Magic: Web Trapper!
 
Instinctively, Symphon grabbed Sonent and tumbled to the right. A net of web flew over the spot he had been standing on; if he had stayed still, it would have caught him. He stood up to look for his attacker.
 
“Beast Magic: Web Trapper—Trap Hole!
 
Suddenly, the ground beneath Symphon gave out. He and Sonent fell down the trap hole they had been standing on and, after a few feet, they landed in a large web that seemed to be used as a safety net. Large holes surrounded him.
 
So this guy used tunnels to attack me from behind and get me to step on his trap hole…” Symphon understood as he stood up and looked around wearily. “These holes are all entrances to tunnels; and, if they're interconnecting, he could be anywhere!
 
“Beast Magic: Spider Swarming!
 
Hundreds of spiders suddenly crawled out from the tunnels surrounding him and made their way towards Symphon. “How did this guy attack me from all directions?!” Symphon though in shock as Sonent turned into the rapier. In a quick swipe, Symphon cut the web under him so he fell down to the bottom of the hole.
 
“The key to any good hunter is to set multiple traps for their prey, just in case they try anything.” A voice said from behind Symphon. Symphon turned to face a girl with black hair, black rings around her eyes, and spider earrings. She wore black gloves, a black, short-sleeved hunting outfit, and black boots. On her left arm was the Prometheus Mark, tattooed in black ink.
 
“My name is Turchino, and I'm one of Dr. Prometheus' 12 Saints.” She explained with a smile. “I had set my first trap thinking that I'd catch someone with it; I was wrong. Then, I thought the second trap I'd set would be a good back-up, what with the spider eggs I had placed in the tunnels. But you were able to avoid them; not too bad.”
 
“Elemental Magic: Do!
 
As Symphon yelled this, a light-blue sphere appeared floating above his head. The sphere launched itself at Turchino's feet and hit the ground, sending dust flying. When the dust cleared, Turchino was nowhere to be seen.
 
“The predator always catches the prey; that's the way of nature.” A voice said from behind Symphon as a hand covered his mouth. “I'm the predator and you're the prey.” The other arm grabbed Symphon's right arm, with which he held his rapier.
 
“Beast Magic: Web Binding!
 
Symphon felt a sticky, silky substance cover his mouth. He felt more of the substance bind his arm to his body, immobilizing it. Turchino removed her hands from Symphon and smiled. “You can't cast spells if you can't talk, and I've tied your right arm up. You've been immobilized.”
 
Symphon spun around to see Turchino, smiling cheerfully. “The predator's caught the prey.” She explained. “Now to finish it off.”
 
Turchino reached for one of her round, spider-shaped, dangling earrings and pulled out a bright-green pill with a picture of a flower on it.
 
Flower Pill!
 
Turchino popped the pill into her mouth and swallowed it. Her body shuddered slightly as it began turning green and plant-like. Long, vine-like tentacles grew out of her wrists, just below her hands. Two large, blue buds came out of her back. Her hair changed into a closed, green bud that seemed to fuse into her head.
 
“I'll admit, flowers aren't my favorite thing in the world, but they can be useful.” Turchino explained with a smile. “This form's pretty powerful, and I have it for a whole five minutes. I think that's all the time I'll need to beat you.”
 
“Beast Magic: Tiger Blizzard!
 
“Beast Magic: Mauling Claws!
 
Two furry creatures fell into the hole and landed in front of Turchino. One of them slashed at her with their furry, bear-like claws. The other unleashed a barrage of martial arts on her legs, knocking her down.
 
Symphon recognized the short one who had attacked the legs as Bai Lao-Hu. He was in his white tiger form, and wore an expression of eight-year-old seriousness. The other was… Masuku's sister, Doresu? She looked human, except she had a bear's claws that had mutated into human-like arms.
 
“You're one of my brother's friends, right?” Doresu asked as she turned to Symphon. She walked up to him and clawed the webs off of him. “Are you okay?” “I'm fine.” Symphon answered. “Thanks for helping me.”
 
Turchino groaned as she shakily got up. “How dare… you interrupt me?!” She asked Doresu and Lao-Hu angrily. “I'll kill you losers!”
 
 
 
SOUSHIKI:
 
Gryphon invisibly fell to the ground, unconscious. “That new spell of mine's powerful.” Soushiki said simply. “It took him down in one blow.” “Don't get cocky.” Tanabata responded. “He could have—.”
 
“Beast Magic: Snake Rain!
 
Soushiki and Tanabata looked up to see snakes come out of the ceiling and begin falling down towards them. “Necromancy: Bone Shelter!” Soushiki called out, and a small house of bones came out of the ground, protecting the two brothers from the snakes.
 
“Looks like Gryphon did bring friends.” Tanabata muttered. “Those snakes were all poisonous.” Soushiki said quietly. “They would have killed us if I hadn't acted quickly… but there were thousands of them… whoever did that—.”
 
Suddenly, a poisonous snake sprang from the ground and lunged at Soushiki. Quickly, Soushiki kicked it away into one of the walls of the Bone Shelter, breaking the snake's spine.
 
“I didn't hear them say a spell that time.” Tanabata said. “He must be a member of the Serpenter clan of assassins.”
 
“How right you are!” A voice yelled. There was a quiet hissing noise and, a few seconds later, a giant pair of fangs had bitten into the house. The fangs tore a side of the house away, revealing a giant cobra that seemed to be wearing a blue best.
 
Atop the dragon's head was a nineteen-year-old wearing a many-pocketed dark-purple vest, pants, and boots. He had long, black hair and a lock hung over his left eye. The other eye had a purple rectangle around it. The boy had a small, black shield strapped to his arm with two fang-like blades coming out of the bottom.
 
“They call me Copper.” The boy introduced with a small smile. “I am a former member of the Serpenter clan and one of Dr. Prometheus' 12 Saints. Tell me your names so I can write them on your tombstones.”
 
“I'm Soushiki.” Soushiki answered coldly. “I still have plenty of Spirit left to take you and your snake down; I think my new spells will work.” “Abandon any hope you have of defeating me.” Copper said, his smile vanishing completely. “I normally attack from the shadows, but in face-to-face combat I'm even deadlier.”
 
“Biomancy: Zombie Power!
 
As Soushiki called out the spell, his body tensed. His muscles seemed to tighten and he panted heavily. “Okay… next… Biomancy: Aura of Zombie!
 
An aura of green, swirling energy surrounded Soushiki's body. “I'd been saving my zombie spells for the finals.” He said as he began walking towards the giant cobra. “I feel like I'm wasting them, using them on that invisible loser and you. I'll just make this quick!”
 
Soushiki, with an amazing burst of speed, ran up to the giant snake and launched a punch at its huge, slithering body. The punch was devastating, so much so that it went right into the snake's body.
 
Soushiki felt the snake's cold, reptilian muscle and, grabbing something, he pulled his hand out. He had grabbed a large blood vein and had yanked it out, breaking it. Blood began flowing out of the cobra.
 
“Those spells seem to have given him the strength of a zombie…” Copper muttered as he returned the snake to the Summon Land. He began falling and landed on the ground on his two feet. “This should be fun…”
 
Copper reached into one of his vest's pockets and pulled out a metallic pill that had tiny nuts and bolts in it. He tossed it in his mouth and swallowed it. Instantly, his body took a metallic shine.
 
“Morph Pill: Android Pill!” Copper explained cheerfully. “My body's been roboticized for five minutes. Just wait and see all of the upgrades my body has in store for you!”
 
 
 
EVE AND SUJOU:
 
“Who are you clowns supposed to be?” Eve asked as she wielded her Familiar Weapon, the hammer. Sujou was standing next to her, looking at their opponents in confusion. They were facing down Jikoku and Patan, who was holding his Familiar Weapon, a kunai with a loop at the end of the handle.
 
“We're two of the 12 Saints.” Patan answered with a wide smile. “I'm Jikoku and this is my buddy Patan! We're known as the Gure-Kiiro team!”
 
“The Grey-Yellow team?” Kanjouinyuu translated mockingly. “Threatening name, guys; bet it makes people wet their pants, huh?”
 
Patan looked at Sujou and smiled. “I don't like your face.” He said, closing his eyes in a relaxed, cheerful manner. “I'm going to kill you and your goat!”
 
“P-Patan?” Jikoku asked timidly. “I thought we were going to see Argus; d-do you have to kill these girls? They haven't really done anything.”
 
Patan looked at his friend and grinned. “Jikoku, when I don't like something, I kill it; simple as that.” He explained cheerfully. “And these girls have been pissing me off big time; just looking at them makes me angry.”
 
“O-Okay.” Jikoku said reluctantly. “I-I guess you can kill them if you want…” “And, man, I wanna!” Patan exclaimed cheerfully as he tossed his kunai into the air.
 
“Object Magic: Chain Blade!
 
A chain shot out of Patan's sleeve, went into the kunai's loop, and wrapped around the loop several times to make sure the kunai didn't go flying off. The chain, moving like a snake, seemed to be preparing to attack Eve. With amazing speed, it darted at Eve—
 
Sujou had stepped in front of Eve, holding her Familiar Weapon, a big, round, golden shield with a red gem in the center in front of her. The kunai-chain collided with the shield, making a clinking noise. The chain pulled away from the shield.
 
“Oh, so it's two-on-two, huh?” Patan asked with his cheerful smile. “Jikoku, want to help me out here?” Jikoku timidly stepped up and pointed his finger at Sujou.
 
“Elemental Magic: Aerial Boom!
 
A small explosion went off right in front of Sujou's face, forcing her to take a step back. “Okay, now it's time for me to have some fun!” Patan exclaimed as he threw his arms into the air.
 
“Object Magic: Chain Torture!
 
Two chains launched out of each sleeve and went flying towards Eve and Sujou. Eve found that a chain had wrapped around her left leg and her right arm. The other two had wrapped around Sujou's arms.
 
The chains began pulling in separate directions with amazing force. Sujou grunted in pain and Eve gasped. “The chains will keep pulling until I rip your limbs out of your sockets.” Patan said cheerfully. “It'll make a nice sound; kinda like a combination of popping and ripping.”
 
“Halt, foul villain!” A voice commanded. Sand covered the chains and, applying amazing pressure, it broke the chains. Bishop landed between the fighting forces, facing Patan angrily. “Doth thou have no etiquette? A vile torturer like ye doth not deserve mercy!”
 
“I hate it when some punk decides to pay hero.” Patan said with a sigh as he pulled his right sleeve up, revealing his right hand holding a yellow pill with spikes coming out of it. “Jikoku, take your pill and help me out.”
 
Jikoku timidly nodded and produced a grey pill out of nowhere. They both swallowed their pills at the same time. “Morph Pill: Spike Pill!” “Morph Pill: Ball Pill!
 
Yellow spikes suddenly grew from the back of Patan; the back of his arms, legs, head, back. Spikes came out of his knuckles and fingertips. Jikoku, meanwhile, had grown a strange, grey padding all over his entire back and he had gotten somewhat rounder.
 
Patan laughed as he pulled two spikes out of his back; these ones were large and could be used as hand-held weapons. Jikoku rolled his body up into a perfect ball, the padding protecting him completely.
 
“Thou doth jest!” Bishop exclaimed. “In this, your changed state, you stand no chance against a member of the Tarot!” Patan chuckled. “Kid, they don't let people into the Major Arcana until they turn eighteen. You're probably just a low-level Minor Arcana member.”
 
Bishop smiled. “Ye dost not know who thou is dealing with.” He said, wielding his pike fiercely. “I am Bishop Thoth, the Ace of Wands!”
 
 
 
MASUKU:
 
After a few minutes of running and searching Masuku stopped. He heard a distant, yet familiar, voice. It was… Dublin? Masuku quickly began heading in the direction of his mentor's voice and came to a stop when he saw Dublin, who had his back to him.
 
“Dublin!” Masuku exclaimed cheerfully. “Did you see where the Mystery Entrant went? That guy knocked me out, and—.”
 
To Masuku's shock and horror, Dublin fell down backwards. In confusion, Masuku ran up to his teacher, whose glasses had been knocked off and who was breathing heavily. His shirt had a large hole over the chest, and his chest was blood-spattered. “D-Dublin?”
 
“Masuku… get out of here.” Dublin ordered, struggling to speak. “He'll kill you, too… the Shinigami… he's ruthless.”
 
“Dublin, don't talk like that!” Masuku said frantically as he got down next to his teacher. “Masuku… you're nothing like your father was…” Dublin said, his eyes half-closed. “You act more like your uncle… I was on the same team as your dad and his two brothers…”
 
“Dublin!” Masuku yelled, tears starting to come to his eyes. “Please, don't die!”
 
Dublin coughed up some blood, terrifying Masuku. He noticed that Dublin's hair was speckled with blood; he had blood all over him. Masuku stared at Dublin, terrified. He was too scared to move.
 
“Be careful of his eye…” Dublin struggled to say. “And Masuku… don't… die… you're a good kid… there's a lot of promise in…”
 
Dublin closed his eyes. He stopped breathing. He was dead.
 
Masuku's eyes stared in unblinking horror. Familiar images flashed through his mind, taking him back to that day so long ago…
 
“It is the destiny of all things to come to an end.” The Shinigami said from behind Masuku. He had several blood-stains on his armor and was balancing his scythe on his shoulders. “A Magi will most likely die in battle; if it hadn't been me it would have been another Magi, in another place and time. I don't take joy in the deaths I cause; it is simply a job I am hired to—.”
 
“Shut up.” Masuku said angrily as he stood up, his Familiar Weapon already in his hand. “I'll kill you.”
 
Masuku turned to face his teacher's killer, anger shown clearly in his face. His eyes were now harsh and… strangely silver. “This is the second time someone's died a bloody death right in front of my eyes!” He roared angrily. “This time the killer won't get away unharmed!
 
“I'll tear your arms off, I'll break your bones; I'll do whatever it takes for you to realized how much pain you've caused!” Masuku snarled as he took his battle stance, pointing his sword at the Shinigami, who was looking at Masuku's face in a shocked horror. “Do you have any idea who you've killed?! That was my teacher and my friend! I don't care who you are; you'll just be a name on a tombstone soon!”
 
The Shinigami's eyes widened as he continued to stare at the familiar stance of Masuku. Everything… his eyes, his face, his stance… they reminded the mercenary of the past he had left behind.
 
Masuku charged at the Shinigami, ready to break him into pieces. “I'LL KILL YOU, DO YOU HEAR ME?!”
 
 
 
Next Time: The Lunar Crater: Masuku's Strength!