Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Magi Masuku ❯ Life or Death ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Life or Death:
Black Wings Take Flight!
 
 
 
What, in this world, is truly evil? Money? Hatred? War? Death? Is evil simply something we create in our minds to block out all of our miseries? Or is there truly something as dark as a crow's wings in the night, something so evil it cannot be allowed to exist? If there is, the only reason we have not destroyed it is because it is us…
 
 
 
UNKNOWN:
 
“Doctor…” the sickly man said insanely. The man's legs were in a strange, metal cylinder connected to a ring suspended in midair. The man was trapped in the center of the ring, his arms at the top of the ring. The man wore no clothes and had a flaming P tattooed on his chest. He had wild, blue-grey hair, but other than that the shadows blocked out his features.
 
“Doctor…” the sickly man said again. He chuckled madly. “Please, doctor, let me see my family again… it's been so long, doctor… it's been 20 years, doctor… please, doctor, let me see them again…” the sickly man suddenly burst into mad laughter.
 
Numerous wires suddenly came out of the ring and began linking into the walls and floor of the dark room he was in. The man screamed in agony as a glowing, green energy began moving from the ring into the walls and floor. After a few moments, the energy flow stopped.
 
Outside, the room was really a black cube floating hundreds of feet above the air in some other place. Crows began coming out of all sides of the cube. Hundreds of crows flew off in every direction, carrying with them a message of death.
 
 
 
OUTSIDE MAGI GAMES ARENA:
 
“Kowai…” The man said as he and his sister stood nearby the arena. His sister, the one with the squirrel Familiar, seemed to radiate a cheerful aura. He was the exact same height as his sister and wore a cowl like hers. He, however, had no Familiar.
 
Two crows suddenly appeared and landed in front of the two siblings. “This is Argus calling the Shinigami!” The two crows said in perfect unison. “This is Argus calling all members of the Black Wing! They're onto us; we need to erase the evidence!”
 
“Kowai…” the brother said sinisterly. “That fool… he's jumped the gun… I knew this would happen…” “Kawai!” The sister said happily. “Don't worry, brother! Once we take care of this the doctor will be so happy with us!”
 
“I don't see how you can be cheerful when you know the price for failure…” The brother said. “But I suppose we should prepare the ritual, not talk…”
 
The two siblings quickly separated and stopped when they were one hundred feet away from each other. They both bent down and pressed their index fingers and middle fingers to the ground. “Pentagram Magic: RAS TSI OORI FELL!
 
A pentagram formed, starting at the points where the twins touched the ground. Two torches sprouted from the ground in the center of the pentagram, right at the two points of the crescent moon. At the four points of the compass on the pentagram were four runes: RAS, meaning Prometheus; TSI, meaning Calling; OORI, meaning Birds; and FELL, meaning Of Shadows.
 
“On the wings of the black messenger…” the brother and sister chanted. “We open this portal to all those who bear the mark/ Those who act to defy against the gods and nature/ Those whose hearts are dark like a crow in the night… Spatial Magic: Black Wings Take Flight!
 
A black, swirling hole began forming in the crescent moon. Within seconds, hundreds of crows flew out and landed everywhere they could. In a few more seconds the crows had turned into hundreds of people. Many of them wore cowls like the twins'; some wore individual clothing.
 
“We've all received Argus' message…” the brother explained. “You know what to do… eliminate anyone who may know something…” With that, the two twins vanished, along with the pentagram. Where it and the portal had once been there was now scorched earth.
 
 
MAGI GAMES ARENA:
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, the first match of round two is about to begin!” The referee yelled to the excited audience. “Here are our opponents… Bai Lao-Hu and Soushiki!”
 
The eight-year-old Magi and the cold Necromancer both entered the arena. “Okay!” The referee declared excitedly. “You may be—!”
 
Soushiki suddenly grabbed Bai Lao-Hu and carried him away from the spot he'd been standing. The referee stared, confused. “But… I didn't tell you to—.”
 
Mere seconds after Soushiki had moved Bai Lao-Hu the spot he'd been standing on was buffeted by an unseen force. “Damn… I missed…” a disembodied voice cursed. “I knew that Bai Lao-Hu would sense my attack, but not this kid…”
 
“Show yourself.” Soushiki commanded. “I'm not happy with you interrupting my fight.” “Elemental Magic!” The voice cast. “Blind Wave!
 
Something unseen hit Soushiki, knocking him off of his feet. Then, another unseen force lifted him up. Soushiki was thrown into the ground by whatever was doing this. The weight of something on his chest pinned him there.
 
He must be using Invisibility Magic…” Soushiki thought angrily. “That means I can't see him… I'll just have to wait for whatever spell he's using to cloak himself wears off…
 
“Get off of my brother.” A voice commanded calmly as Soushiki's shadow suddenly peeled itself off of the ground. It became a three-dimensional shadow, a perfect silhouette of Soushiki.
 
Soushiki felt the weight lift off of his chest. He realized that it must have been the invisible person's foot. “So… that explains everything…” the disembodied voice muttered. “This little freak is the little brother of the famous Magi, Sutashishi Tanabata!”
 
The shadow-Soushiki suddenly dissolved away, revealing Tanabata and his Familiar. “I'd recognize that voice anywhere…” Tanabata said with a small smile. “You're Gryphon, aren't you? You're wanted for magical crimes against humanity.”
 
“I'm not the same as when we fought in the Collection, Tanabata.” The disembodied voice answered. “I can tell.” Tanabata said with a nod. “You're not using a spell to turn yourself invisible… you and your Familiar must have found a way to turn invisible without casting a spell.”
 
Gryphon chuckled. “Oh, not us…” he said. “Our new employer has… changed us magically.”
 
“Your new employer?” Tanabata repeated. “He calls himself Dr. Prometheus.” Gryphon explained smugly. “Other than that, I don't know much, other than he pays in cash. I've never even seen him; only the real high-rankers get to. But enough talk…”
 
Something cut the back of Tanabata's shirt. “He got behind me while he was talking…” Tanabata thought, a strange smile appearing on his face. “Not that bad…
 
“Soushiki…” Tanabata said as he turned and got into a fighting stance. “Tell everyone to evacuate immediately. I want you and everyone else to run as far away from here as possible; this guy's a real psycho.”
 
Soushiki nodded and yelled to the audience. “Everyone get out of here! It's not safe! This is an emergency!”
 
In a confused panic the audience began exiting the building. “Run, Soushiki!” Tanabata yelled. “I can't follow that order.” Soushiki suddenly said. “I want to try my new spell out…”
 
“Figures…” Tanabata muttered. “Every time he gets a new spell he just has to try it on the strongest opponent… I just hope Gryphon didn't bring any friends…
 
 
 
OUTSIDE:
 
As the group of spectators ran out of the arena, they were stopped at the sight of a virtual army of people; the Black Wing. “Prepare to kill…” a voice said from within the crowd.
 
“Elemental Magic: Sand Scatter!” A voice yelled as two, giant hands made of sand appeared, floating in midair. The hands swatted some of the Black Wings aside, creating a path for most of the spectators to run.
 
“You would attack innocent civilians?” A voice asked. Bishop stood on top of a booth, carrying his Familiar Weapon, a large pike. “Have you no artistic vision? No gentlemanly manners? How tragic.”
 
“Elemental Magic: Super-Mega Spiral Wind!” Raichan yelled as he fell from the sky, carrying his Familiar Weapon, a red, iron rod. He landed in the middle of a crowd of Black Wings and spun around once. Winds flew off of his body, knocking all of the Black Wings down.
 
“Now, that's art!” Raichan said happily. He looked around, a bit confused. “Hey, Bishop… I got the right guys, right?” “Yes, Raichan; you did quite well.” Bishop said with a friendly nod. “I find your style of fighting to be comically artistic, my friend.”
 
 
 
ELSEWHERE:
 
Meanwhile, the two teammates watched as bedlam unfolded. Their side greatly outnumbered the others; yet they were already taking losses.
 
“This is pretty embarrassing, huh, Jikoku?” The smiling, young man asked. He had messy, white hair and wore a black jacket over an orange shirt. His jacket's sleeves were several inches longer than his arms and hid his hands. His Familiar, a vulture named In, was perched on his shoulder.
 
“Uh… y-yeah, Patan…” Jikoku answered, somewhat timidly. Jikoku had shaved, black hair. He wore a pair of blue fingerless gloves, a yellow shirt, and red pants. He had no Familiar with him.
 
“Hey, Jikoku…” Patan began, a smile crawling onto his face. “How about we go find that idiot Argus? It looks like he made us come out here for nothing.” “O-okay.” Jikoku agreed half-heartedly. “L-let's go.”
 
 
 
MASUKU:
 
“What's going on out here?” Masuku asked as he watched the battle that was unfolding. Magi were battling the various forces of Dr. Prometheus. Spells flashed out all over, Familiar Weapons crashed together, and bodies fell, dead, wounded, and unconscious.
 
“Masuku…” a voice said from behind the young Magi. Masuku and Herupanen turned to face the Mystery Entrant. “I want you to get to safety, Masuku. That's an order.”
 
“What?” Masuku asked, confused. “Who are you?” The Mystery Entrant suddenly grabbed Masuku by his shirt, pulling him close. “Masuku, get to safety now.” He said sternly, a bit or anger creeping into his voice.
 
Who is this guy?” Masuku thought. “Look, just let me go; I can take care of myself!” “No, you can't.” The Mystery Entrant said calmly as he hit the side of Masuku's head, knocking him out. The Mystery Entrant then began running forward with amazing speed, attacking his foes with his own two fists.
 
I know you're alive, Fudo…” The Mystery Entrant thought as he rushed forward. “You wouldn't forgive me if something happened to your son…
 
The Mystery Entrant suddenly stopped in the middle of the battlefield. While other Magi fought each other, the Entrant looked around, worried. “There is very malevolent Spirit in the air…” He thought. “Some of it might actually be as powerful as mine, and I'm one of the Four…
 
The Mystery Entrant looked in the direction where he sensed extremely powerful, yet old, Spirit. “A person's Spirit grows with age…” he thought. “Layers are added, like a growing tree… this person has thousands of layers… inconceivable…
 
The Mystery Entrant turned to the opposite direction. “But that Spirit is even more powerful… but it's strangely familiar… I'm certain I know that Spirit…” His hidden eyes widened, shocked. “No… it couldn't be…
 
The Mystery Entrant quickly raced in the direction of the familiar Spirit. He came to a stop, several yards from the battlefield, in front of a large, metal capsule. It was cylindrical, plain, and with a closed, sliding door on the front. Tubes ran from the capsule into the ground, drawing Spirit from the earth itself.
 
As the Mystery Entrant stared at the capsule, he knew that someone was inside it. Their Spirit was undergoing a change of some sort. He was also fairly certain of who was inside it, and for a brief moment he was overtaken by nostalgia.
 
So… he's alive…” The Entrant thought angrily. “I had always assumed he had died after we caught him stealing the Libra Book… he had never been heard from again… but it looks like he's alive…
 
The Entrant prepared to cast a spell. “I let you get away once… never again.” He said angrily as he put his hands together, as if praying. “Elemental Magic… River Rush!
 
He pulled his hands apart and pointed them at the cylinder. A powerful jet of water shot out and began to barrage the cylinder. After several seconds, the attack ended, revealing that the water had had no affect.
 
“Forbidden Arts…” a voice echoed from within the cylinder. “Summoning… Della Corsa!
 
Steam began coming out of the ground beneath the Entrant's feet. A silver circle appeared beneath his feet. The circle began levitating a few inches above the ground, carrying the Entrant with it.
 
My feet… they won't move!” The Entrant realized as he struggled to escape. “What the hell did he summon?
 
Suddenly, the silver circle stretched and moved until it became a sphere covering the Entrant's body. The Entrant found himself floating in a large, silver void. “Traveler chosen…” a voice rang throughout the void. Two huge, glowing, red, pupil-less eyes appeared before the Entrant.
 
The eyes suddenly melted together into a large, red screen. On the screen was the old man called Dr. Prometheus appeared on the screen, his body tinted red. “I don't wish to be interrupted.” The old man said coldly. “I realize you have a grudge against me; however, you will have to settle it with my hired sword.”
 
The sphere around the Entrant suddenly vanished in a flash of bright light. The Entrant looked around and realized he was at least two miles away from the battlefield; whatever Dr. Prometheus had used on him must have transported him somehow…
 
“I don't think I should kill a foe whose back is turned.” A cold voice said from behind the Entrant. “Turn around.” The Entrant could tell it wasn't a request; it was an order. Awe-struck by the sheer emotionless of the voice, the Entrant found himself turning around.
 
“The Black Tortoise of the North…” the man before the Entrant muttered. He wore black armor with purple fur coming out of the shoulders and a long, black cape. The armor looked fierce and evil and made the man look larger than he was. He had long, black, wild hair… yet he had red eyebrows. A white cloth was wrapped on his head, hiding his right eye; the cloth seemed to go under his hair.
 
“Okay, so you know me…” the Entrant said. “What's your name?” “I abandoned my name; it carries too many memories of the past.” The fierce man replied coldly. “Call me the Shinigami.”
 
“The Death God?” The Entrant translated. “I think I've heard of you; you're one of the best mercenaries out there.” “I am merely a hired sword; I care nothing of my reputation.” The Shinigami replied. Then, he asked, “Why do you hide behind your Familiar Armor? Are you afraid, Irelan Dublin?”
 
There was a puff of smoke around the body of the Entrant. When it cleared, Irelan Dublin stood, with the pointed hat on his head and his Familiar tied to his arm. “I just wanted a little advantage.” Dublin explained coolly. “You've got that magical artifact of yours; why shouldn't I have my Familiar Armor?”
 
“You are on my Death List.” The Shinigami said as he suddenly pulled a scythe out of his pure-black cape. The scythe seemed to be made entirely of a strange, black metal. A red skull was painted on the blade.
 
“So I'm your next target, then?” Dublin asked cheerfully as, in a puff of smoke, his Familiar turned into the Familiar Armor he had worn as the Mystery Entrant. “Am I at the top of the list?”
 
“No.” The Shinigami answered, anger creeping into his voice. “That honor has been reserved for someone else…” The Shinigami suddenly pointed his left index finger at Dublin. “Forbidden Magic… The Reaper's Beam!
 
A black beam of energy shot out of his finger and headed right towards Dublin. The Magi quickly jumped out of the way, dodging the beam. “I don't believe he had enough Spirit to pull that spell off…” He thought, amazed. “The Reaper's Beam is able to kill most people with one hit… it's powerful stuff…
 
“Dodging the Reaper's Beam isn't difficult.” The Shinigami explained calmly. “If I said it was impressive I'd be lying. However, you're one of the Four, so I expect this fight won't be easy.”
 
“Your Spirit's ancient.” Dublin replied coolly. He could tell that this was the ancient Spirit he had sensed earlier. “How old are you, anyways? Are you using an Immortality Pentagram of some kind?”
 
“I'm older than your family, Dublin, I'll tell you that much.” The Shinigami said. “I was alive during the Days of Darkness. Yes, I'm old; but with age comes experience.”
 
Dublin whistled, apparently impressed. “The Days of Darkness, eh? That war occurred four-thousand years ago. You're, like, ancient!”
 
“You shouldn't let your guard down so easily.” A voice said from behind Dublin. Dublin's eyes widened under his armor. “Impressive.” He said with a chuckle, faking bravery. “So you managed to create a Shade while my back was turned… and all without saying the spell out loud. You must have been a Serpenter assassin for a while.”
 
The thing behind Dublin was a humanoid shadow with tentacles for arms. The tentacles quickly wrapped around Dublin's waist. “Their Hiss-Cast technique comes in handy.” The Shinigami replied. “It appears that it's enough to finish you.”
 
The Shinigami pointed his left index finger at Dublin again. “Forbidden Magic…” He said, black Spirit beginning to gather around his finger, “The Reaper's Beam/ Torturer's Will!
 
The black beam of energy shot out of the Shinigami's finger and hit Dublin in the chest. Dublin screamed in pain, sweat dripping down his forehead. The beam continued for several seconds, and finally came to a stop. The Shade that was holding Dublin vanished. Dublin's body fell to the ground limply.
 
“The Torturer's Will causes the victim to die as painfully as possible.” The Shinigami explained. “However, some people are able to survive the agony; people like you, Dublin.”
 
Dublin struggled to get up, obviously in pain. He panted heavily. “Damn it… that attack really took a lot out of me…” He thought. “I'm lucky to be alive, let alone conscious…
 
Dublin put his hand to his chest, feeling the spot where he had been hit. There were several scorch marks, but no bleeding. Dublin suddenly realized something; how could he feel his skin under the armor? He looked down at his chest in shock and fear and saw that a large hole had been burned through his Familiar Armor. “No…” he said in fear.
 
“When a Familiar Weapon or Familiar Armor is damaged beyond repair…” the Shinigami said calmly, “the Familiar is, as well. You may have survived, but I'm afraid your Familiar wasn't as fortunate.”
 
In a puff of smoke, the armor around Dublin turned into a dead turtle strapped to his arm. “Galop…” Dublin said quietly. He solemnly untied his dead Familiar from his arm and placed it on the ground.
 
“Okay… no more armor, than…” Dublin said coldly, stepping away from his Familiar. “Either I win or I join Galop in the afterlife…” Dublin took off his sunglasses and tossed them aside. He pulled his hat down over his eyes. “This is life or death.”
 
 
 
Next Time: A Battle of Magi: Masuku's Strength!