Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Monster ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note: For people who are working from the comic only, Ajan is what Philandre got renamed. Set after Tacking into the Sea-Wind, or whatever I decide to call the novel, but before the damn sequel which won't leave me alone. For people who read the other short story here, they are set in two different timelines. Ajan/Philandre tried to do something. In "Brother Mine", he succeeded. In "Monster", he failed. Or perhaps it was the other way around, considering what happened afterward.


"Good morning," The prisoner beamed at her as the guards opened the cell door. "I would offer you a seat, but I'm afraid I have limited accommodations."

"That is understandable." Lupera-saerai looked at the cell. It was primitive -- everything on this forsaken damp planet was primitive -- with only a pallet and a chamber pot. She wrinkled her nose -- the smell of unwashed alien and excrement was overpowering. She turned towards her escort. "It is permissible to conduct this interview elsewhere, is it or isn't it?"

"We could not guarantee your safety, my lady," the guard answered. "Or that we could keep the hostage from escaping."

"I understand." She would have to cope, then. Her mission was far too important to let something like this get in her way. She drew up her veil around her nose and mouth. "You are Azane Ki Iberibine, are you or aren't you?"

"Ajan Khi-Ibrivin," he corrected. She frowned -- she hadn't said it that differently. "Yes, I am. Who are you?"

"Lupera-saerai-pai Ayalu. Address me as Lupera-saerai."

He shrugged. "So, Ayalu," he said, with an obnoxious grin, and an air of disrespect that aliens had towards her title, "What brings a noble lady like yourself -- and a Darynese too -- to a cesspit like this?"

She stared at him, using the posture that she reserved for her younger brother. "I think I am just lucky," she said. "And you?"

"Oh, the usual," Ajan brushed some hair out of his eyes, and grinned with her -- a predator's grin, the kind that existed merely to show off what impressive teeth the owner had. "Belonged to the wrong faction, annoyed the wrong leader's lapdog, assaulted the wrong calling mage. I doubt you're happy with me for that last one -- he was a Darynese too."

"You are referring to Rikayo Darenka, are you or aren't you?" Lupera-saerai asked.

"Know any other Darynese calling mages around?" Ajan stood up, turning his grin on the guards as they drew their weapons. "It's all right, gentle folk. I was merely going to stretch my legs. I wasn't going to hurt the nice lady."

"Remain seated until we leave," the guard replied.

"Very well, very well," he sat down. No, lounged would be a better word, like a feline in the sun. For all that he was the one in the cell and unarmed, he felt like he was in control of the situation, she surmised. "So, I assume that's really what brings you here."

"For what reason did you do it?" she asked.

"I had a horrible childhood, I'm just evil, I was brainwashed by the Greycloaks, my mother died, I'm crazy, no one liked me in my hometown, he was asking for it, wandering around after dark with that staff of his," he singsonged the excuses, still grinning. "Are you actually serious, Ayalu, dear? Didn't anyone tell you? I'm sure he could tell you." He motioned to the guard, who was doing his statue impression.

"I am new to this planet," she said slowly, focusing on keeping her voice even, and her face cool. She was a priest and a Lupera woman, and neither should get infuriated by an alien's mocking. "Enlighten me. Please."

"Fine, fine," Ajan leaned back. "We Grekcloaks, of the Brotherhood of Starlight, don't trust these spirits that live on our world one damn bit. So we keep them from showing up here by helping keep them from attracting the mortal followers they need. Your countryman Rikayo was under their thrall. I tried to free him. And, yes, I was going to use as much force as necessary -- whatever I did to him, even if I had to break him to fix him, would be better than being a slave to those creatures."

"I... I see..." Lupera-saerai stepped back, considering the matter. There was still the insult to her brother's son to consider, but this man, Ajan could prove useful. And, she could not say that she wasn't thankful to him -- her brother's son was now no longer prattling on about those alien powers of his, though from the report she read, that was more due to Ajan's suggestions about the spirits, than Ajan's actions. And he could be persuaded to help them, she knew, if he was as fanatical as they said, which he seemed to be. "Thank you for speaking to me, Mister Ki Iberibine. I will be in touch in the future."

Now, there was merely the matter of getting him from behind those bars.