Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nightmare in Scarlet ❯ Visions of Rose ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXxXx

Nightmare in Scarlet

By: Revamp

Chapter 1: Visions of Rose

XxXxXxXx

“Really?” Giselle blinked upon hearing the news.

Beside of the young girl stood her faithful body guard, who was clad in a black, pristine military suit adorned with medals. Atop of his head was a hat with a black rim and an insignia in the middle of it. He stood tall, about six feet tall and built with a body made for endurance more than just being physically powerful. An alert expression adorned his flawless visage, chiseled like a statue and framed with short, wavy, white hair that curled around his face. The body guard stood stock still beside of the girl as the two of them looked up to the great king, who had his back towards them at the top of a few stairs that led up to his throne.

“This will be a great opportunity for someone of your status, Princess Giselle Faya Cossattia. As sub-viceroy, you must learn what things are like on a ruling position. Your older brother, Prince Schnitzel Eau Cossattia is a prime example of a successful ruler. It's the type of rule that I want you to follow,” the king turned to address his daughter and her body guard on the matter. It was important that she begin to perfect her leadership skills in case that she may one day have to ascend the throne.

“I've heard that big brother Schnitzel's Axis is the biggest. Not even big brother Prussia rules over as much land.” Truly, her brother was an impressive figure and held great stature as both a leader and military commander. Giselle admired her brother for expanding his axis so far. One day, she aspired to be that powerful, but through different means.

The king smiled at those words. Nothing made him happier than to have successful children. “He bears the Cossattia name proudly. You do good to learn from him.”

Giselle curtsied. “Yes, father. I'll head to Neo Siberia at once.”

“That won't be needed.” A strong, mature voice cut through their conversation like a knife through butter. The clacking of high heels could be heard as a tall, athletic woman walked into the room, adorning a beautiful white gown that contrasted with her tanned skin, but blended with her white hair.

All eyes looked to the woman as she walked up beside of the king. In comparison, the two looked mismatched in age. She was much younger than he was, and looked of Indian heritage.

“Mother?” Giselle rose with a questioning expression.

The ice blue eyes of the bodyguard moved to knowledge the woman's presence.

“We've just received word that Prince Schnitzel will be heading to Japan to form a treaty with Prime Minister Kihara Konichi,” the queen informed. That mission was far more important than sending Giselle over for training as a figurehead just yet. Not to mention that they didn't need two royals putting their lives in danger by going on foreign grounds, not until the peace treaty had been made.

The king smiled and clasped his hands together. The queen narrowed her eyes. She wasn't sure that she wanted to know what was going through her husband's head. “Excellent! You shall get into contact with your brother and meet him at the peace hall in Japan. That way, you can experience expansion first hand. By attending the treaty meeting, you'll gain knowledge of how the Titannian government works. You'll also learn the steps of establishing and expanding the rule of your axis.”

Giselle nodded, agreeing against the queen's better judgment. “Yes, father. I'll find out all of the necessary information from him and we'll schedule a meeting somewhere in Japan. As the youngest of my family, I must live up to my sibling's name as well as my parent's high expectations. Only the best of the best proudly bear the Cossattia bloodline,” she placed a hand to her breast with pride, smiling at her speech and feeling that sense of honor run through her blue-blooded vessels. More than anything, she didn't want to let her parents down or put shame to her brother's good name. For them, she would try her hardest to be the ruler they had always envisioned her to be.

“Now go and make us proud,” the king pointed dramatically towards the throne room exit, fired up by both his own speech and his daughter's speech. He just knew that she would make him proud as his other siblings had done.

Giselle gave him one final courtesy as she and her body guard walked out of the room and into the great halls. The white-haired man shut the door behind her as they continued to walk out of the palace. Instantly, the princess sighed to herself and loosened her posture.

“It seems like you don't want to attend the peace treaty meeting,” his German accent was thick in the air.

“It's not that. I'm just nervous,” Giselle admitted, turning her gaze away from the proud man who stood beside of her. “I'm not like my brothers, or Nausiscaa. They've done this plenty of times, so it's not a big deal with them. They understand everything that goes on and they won't want to deal with someone like me.”

In many ways, Giselle compared herself to a child. If she attended that peace treaty meeting and did something stupid, it would be as if she was some child that had to have things explained to her and be put in line by her siblings. Quite frankly, it was embarrassing and to show her subjects that she was still learning how to be a proper ruler sent out many negative vibes, regardless of whether or not it was important for her to do so.

Everything was just so conflicting to her, and that alone made her nervous.

“They were all sub-viceroy before, were they not?” It was a point that Gilbert sought out to make. No one was born into a rank; they all had to climb the ladder to get there. Giselle was no different than they were. “I am sure they would understand your situation.”

Giselle's features became dire as her form consumed with anxiety. “This is really important to big brother Schnitzel. He's expanding his axis of power. It's the largest axis that Titannia has, and if we lost it somehow-“

“It would take something huge to lose that axis. Second Prince Schnitzel has an iron fist when it comes to ruling. He wouldn't simply fall apart, even if the Prime Minister denied him,” the German was sure of that. Giselle needed to have more faith in both herself and her brother. This would no doubt run smoothly and the situation would provide as a learning experience for her.

Those words took some of the pain off of the princess' heart. Her big, blue eyes glanced up at the man as a pleasant smile crossed thin, pink lips. “You're right. You always help me out so much, General Konegriech.”

The general cracked a smirk. He couldn't help but be enamored with the girl's cute appearance. Her long, wavy, dark brown hair, petite appearance and large, innocent eyes managed to melt some of the ice around his heart. “It is merely my job to assist you, Second Princess Giselle Faya Cossattia.”

“I'm only fourteen, so I have a long way to go before I can become viceroy. I just hope that I'll make my subject proud when that moment comes. I want to be a successful, peaceful ruler like big brother Prussia,” Schnitzel's iron-fisted rule wasn't her thing. The young princess looked up to her elegant brother's method of ruling with gentility and peace, rather than taking a grip by the hair and controlling it, as Schnitzel had done. Granted, it made him rule a large axis but she wanted to be loved rightfully, and not feared by her people.

“You certainly look up to him, don't you?” Konegriech always heard the girl speak fondly of her big brother. She had always compared the style of rule she wanted to do to his and gave him the utmost respect.

The girl's face instantly brightened at that question. “Yes! I want to be just like him when I'm a viceroy. His axis is so peaceful and everyone loves him. He's the ideal prince.”

Konegriech stopped. “Should we inform Prince Schnitzel of the king's wishes?”

Giselle nodded. “Yes, it would e good to see my big brother again and even bother to learn about making peace treaties and alliances with other nations.”

Placing a hand over his broad chest, the general bowed. “I'll make arrangements right away.”

The princess curtseyed and thanked him. A ship was prepared for the princess. It was white with pink accents. The main body was shaped like a tear drop with a large, flower shape on the back and wings that jutted upwards with missile launchers on the ends.

It blasted through the air with the small crew that consisted of General Konegriech, a woman called Scarlett, the princess and various body guards and soldiers. Scarlett and Konegriech stood on either side of the wavy-haired girl, who sat on a pink and white throne crafted of marble and velvet.

Blue eyes were fixated on the large, heart-shaped window in front of her as Giselle immersed herself deep in thought. `Second Prince Schnitzel Eau Cossattia, my big brother and the second most powerful man in the world. He is a really intimidating person, and he comes off as kind of cold but my father, King William, is really fond of him. Out of all of his children, he tells me that Schnitzel is the ideal ruler and fits the standard the most. Some people say my brother is a tyrant, but I can't believe that.'

Konegriech looked down at the princess, noting that she was preoccupied with her thoughts. He just hoped that she wasn't worrying herself to death over making a good impression to everyone in Japan, and her brother. `Princess Giselle…'

“We're almost to our desired destination.” One of the operators glanced at the digital map and turned to the girl for further instruction.

“Request permission to land! Inform the prince that Princess Giselle is on board!” Konegriech commanded as the soldier saluted him.

“Yes, sir!”

Determination etched itself on the girl's young features. Her vibrant blue eyes lost their shine and grew cold like steel. `Here I come, big brother.'

XxXxXxXx

After they were granted permission to land, the ship hovered down onto a landing space. Down below, several people awaited the princess' arrival. There were many soldiers as well as Prince Schnitzel himself. As the door opened to the ship, Konegriech stepped out first, the sun of the hot afternoon kissed his form.

As he took a couple of steps out, he then extended his hand for the young princess to take hold of. Her multi-layered pastille dress composed of many heights of lace cut out like flower petals swished from side-to-side as the girl emerged. The two walked down the staircase to the bottom, where they could see the Prince talking on the phone.

Whatever conversation he was in must have been a good one. His deep, jovial laugh carried shortly before he hung up the phone. Giselle and Konegriech approached him right as his phone rang a second time.

Schnitzel held up a finger in dismissal. “Hold on. I've got an important call,” he spoke, acknowledging that his father was trying to get into contact with him. The dark-haired prince answered the phone. “This is Prince Schnitzel.”

“Your sister has arrived, treat her with care and show her how a proper viceroy should conduct both private and political matters,” William's voice boomed on the speaker.

“Which sibling is this?” He turned to see Giselle standing before him. “I am assuming that it's Giselle, correct?”

“Yes, I'm leaving her in your hands. I trust that you know what to do.” It was something that was not discussed before, but he knew Schnitzel would make due.

“Yes, father,” Schnitzel hung up the phone. He was dressed in his usual attire; a long, knee-length white coat with pitch black fur around the sleeves, bottom and a stripe of fur up the middle, where the piece buttoned together extending into a high-collar with lily-like black embroidery on either side. On his chest, a red shield-like badge with a yellow cross served as a family crest, which marked his royal breeding. A belt that hung lop-sided on his waist matched the onyx coloration of his straight-legged slacks and shiny shoes as he sat both feet on the ground.

“Is there something wrong, your majesty?” His friend, Baron Yayoi arched an eyebrow. As far as the long-haired man knew, no one was supposed to be accompanying them.

The black-haired prince stood, the sun's rays bouncing from his aristocratic, chiseled face and neatly parted hair. He looked to a woman with pink hair who stood at his side and handed her his cell phone. “Kanon, take my phone calls. Tell them I'll get back to them after my meeting with Prime Minister Kihara.”

Taking the phone, the pregnant woman saluted. “Right,” she replied as the phone rang again.

Picking it up, she answered. “Yes, I'm afraid the Prince is currently unavailable. Sorry, he'll be available after he gets back from Japan. Please, call back after the scheduled time. Goodbye.”

She hung up the phone.

Prince Prussia frowned at his cell phone. “Does she not know who I am? Honestly, how rude,” the beautiful man sighed as he handed the phone to his general, who hung it up.

Schnitzel then approached his sister with Kanon and Yayoi on either side of him, acting as sentinels.

“Big brother!” Giselle smiled brightly and curtseyed. “I'm so happy to see you!”

A smile came across Schnitzel's mature features. “It has been a while, hasn't it, my dear sister?”

Arising, she walked up to her brother with a warm expression. “I'm glad that you'd give me this opportunity to gain knowledge under you.”

“It's essential that you learn to function as a proper ruler when you become old enough to start creating and ruling an axis,” Schnitzel advised the girl. If his father wanted him to show her how he ruled, then that was going to be what he did.

“I hope that my involvement in this affair shows that I have great potential. I don't want to be a burden to you.” More than anything, Giselle didn't want to screw up the important peace treaty with Japan.

“You can simply stand back and observe,” Schnitzel advised. Since it was her first time witnessing a treaty, watching would be the best way to gather information. It would give her the opportunity to learn without actively participating.

Giselle was happy for that decision. Inward, she sighed to herself in relief. Observation was the perfect course of action. She couldn't possibly screw up that way.

Stepping to the side, he gestured to the man on his right. The noticeably expecting woman had a warm, friendly glow about her as she stepped aside. Her eyes were the brightest yellow she'd ever seen, and her long hair was hot pink, only enhancing her femininity.

Schnitzel then gestured to the feminine man on the other side of him. The man was significantly younger than him, appearing in his late teens or early twenties. He was a beautiful man with long bangs and two tendrils of silver hair, airbrushed with a dark melon on the tips that hung to his mid-shoulders while the rest of his short hair stopped at his mid-neck region. He possessed beautiful glass blue eyes with dark lashes and was of a very feminine build, despite his regal, Lolita-inspired attire.

“Allow me to introduce you to my chief advisors, this is Baron Yayoi Hetalia,” he then turned to the pink-haired woman, “and this is Countess Kanon Fussinii.”

They both bowed in unison.

“Pleased to meet you,” the two advisors greeted in unison.

Giselle gestured to the seductive-looking woman on her right who wore a dark red, strapless dress, had flaming red, long hair that draped over one green eye and bright red lipstick. “This is agent Scarlett. She is my bodyguard.”

Scarlett bowed. “I am honored to be graced with your presence, my lord.”

“And this is General Gilbert Konegriech,” Giselle turned to the white-haired German.

Yayoi's face lit up when he heard that name. He pointed at the general with a look of adoration. “I've heard of him. He's from what is known now as Neo Germany. He's the best sharp shooter in the Neo region and he knows nearly everything about the function and construction of military weaponry.”

Giselle smiled. “Yes, he helps in the war efforts.”

“I assisted his highness, King William Staffordshire-Cossattia in his funded experimental projects. I am a highly decorated individual, and I serve her highness faithfully. It's a pleasure to meet you, Second Prince,” the German bowed.

Schnitzel smirked and placed a hand beneath his chin. The fact that someone so known acting as a body guard to his sister was reassuring, only the very best that the world had to offer would be worthy of being in her presence. “Two powerful minds in the same place, how interesting. It's comforting to know that my sister's life is secure in the hands of a highly skilled individual such as yourself.”

“You will not be let down, your majesty.” That was something that Konegriech could promise.

Schnitzel smiled. “Shall we be off?”

Giselle clasped her hands together. “Of course! Will we be taking your floating cone?”

“It's called the Europa III, dear sister,” Schnitzel felt a bead of sweat run down the back of his head at that comment. While it did look like a floating cone, it was better to address it by its rightful title.

Giselle smiled awkwardly as a bead of sweat ran down the back of her head. “Sorry,” she apologized in a nervous manner.

“It will take us to Japan from here in Neo Siberia. We should meet with the prime minister at the peace hall,” Schnitzel instructed and they all left to board the massive, cone-shaped ship.

Inside, Schnitzel was seated on his massive, black and red throne with Kanon and Yayoi was on either side of him, standing stiff as a board. A few feet directly to his right, Giselle sat on a smaller, pastille blue and red throne with Gilbert and Scarlett on either side of her.

The girl's visage betrayed her inner feelings. She gripped the arm rests of the throne, her long, pink nails dug into the velvet as she felt her anxiety rise. `I'm nervous, but I can't show it. I must be strong. That's what a princess must do. She must set an example for her people.'

Her face hardened like steel. Above anything, she mustn't let someone like her brother see her weaknesses. Around Prussia, she felt as if she could be more herself, but around Schnitzel she felt like she had to show all of her strength. Her brother's power intimidated her.

Dark blue eyes stared at the girl; her long, brown waves cascaded from either side of her and touched the ground as she sat there with a concentrated look. It was a little too concentrated for his liking. If Giselle tried any harder to think, she'd look constipated. It was very unflattering to her frail visage.

“You're concentrating pretty hard. Are you alright?” Her brother's voice made her jump out of her state of mind.

“Huh?” Her gaze shot over to her brother. “Oh, sorry! I was just thinking about something.” Okay, so maybe that look was a little too obvious. It was time to be more subtle.

“This is a standard procedure. You shouldn't be nervous. Everything will be fine,” Yayoi smiled at the young girl, trying to ease some of the tension that was mounted on her.

“Thank you, Baron Hetalia. This is my first time attending an event like this. I want to set a good example, and make father and mother proud,” Giselle told him, although she felt a little embarrassed admitting such a thing.

“You know, I spoke to Prussia before my departure,” Schnitzel informed his sister of his prior phone call.

“Really?” Giselle lit up. “How is he? Is he good?”

“He told me that he had been feeling a little under the weather, but it's no less than usual,” Prussia had always been sickly. Schnitzel frowned a little at the comment. The fact that no one could diagnose his disease disheartened him.

Giselle looked down. “Yeah…” She hated knowing Prussia felt bad all of the time.

“Sir, we're approaching the Japanese Peace Hall,” Yayoi alerted his prince.

“Request permission to land,” Schnitzel ordered.

“Yes sir!”

xXxXxXxXx

The Peace Hall was a massive structure and Giselle could hardly believe that she was standing in front of it. It was dome-shaped and stood on giant pillars. Giselle's eyes reflected the grand building as she took a deep breath to calm herself before her eventual entry. Kanon gestured to the building and looked at the princess.

“This is it, the Japanese Peace Hall,” she instructed as they all walked inside. She looked around at the beauty and luxury of the hall's interior and behind her, Yayoi was fascinated with the artwork on the walls.

`Oh wow…Everything is so dark in here…' Giselle noticed the dim lighting. She wondered if it was supposed to be that dark. It was unnaturally dark. She looked to Konegriech, who narrowed his eyes but said nothing.

They walked for a while. It was dead silent. There were no sounds of telephones ringing, or people talking. In fact, they hadn't even seen other people around. It was desolate and Giselle felt isolated.

Kanon was beginning to feel uneased by it all herself. `It's very quiet in here and I haven't seen anyone around.'

When they approached the end of the hall, two guards dressed in Japanese uniforms approached them.

`Well, that was like clockwork.' Kanon's mind remarked on their situation as the soldiers stopped in front of them.

The guards leveled them with stern looks and one of them spoke. “We're sorry that we're late. We ran into some last minute preparations. Prince Schnitzel Eau Cossattia.” They bowed in unison and the group of royals did the same.

“Yes, and this is my sister, Princes Giselle Faya Cossattia, General Gilbert Konegriech, Countess Kanon Fussinii and Baron Yayoi Hetalia,” Schnitzel introduced each one as they rose one by one.

“Pleased to meet you,” the three said in perfect unison.

“The pleasure is ours,” both of the soldiers responded.

One of the soldiers stepped up. He was a little taller than his partner with half of his head shaved and brown hair that was combed over to one side. “I am General Katsumori, and this is General Fushinaga.”

He gestured over to his fellow general who had short, black, spiky hair and looked more of Chinese descent than he did Japanese. General Fushinaga also wore a white band aid across his nose.

“We're here to take you to see Prime Minister Kihara,” Fushinaga replied as Katsumori instructed them to follow the two of them.

All of the members of the group began to follow the guards. Konegriech stopped and his eyes narrowed. Something was wrong. Not only was it too dim and desolated, but this whole scenario wasn't like anything he'd attended and he had gone to many peace treaty signings before.

Giselle stopped and looked back at the white-haired man. “Is something wrong, General Konegriech?”

Gilbert was silent, and as a result, Giselle stayed behind with him. If her General didn't think he should go in there, then she knew that she should stay behind. The two of them watched at the rest of the group followed the guards. When the group was a suitable distance away, they followed very far behind and took their steps wisely.

“If that's so, then Prince Schnitzel is in trouble,” Yayoi's words reached the Princess' ears as she neared her comrades.

“What about my brother?” She looked to him in question, but never got an answer as she looked ahead of her and gasped.

Gilbert instantly got in front of his princess and assumed a protective position. His piercing eyes were focused on the scene before him.

"Such a pretty little thing, handsome doesn't quite fit you," the purring, foreign voice slithered its way into his ears. It was the voice of someone young, younger than himself. The voice shook up the Titannian, Yayoi dared not to move against the ghost-like touch. For all he knew, his next move could be his last and calling out for help would be more than futile with someone being that close to his face and neck.

He could feel the cold breath on the back of his neck, coursing down the folded collar of his jacket and cutting through his pristine, button up shirt.

"Who are you?" Yayoi asked his voice thick with uncertainty and fear.

"I'm the death of Titannia," the chilling words of someone who clearly had terrorist actions ripped fear into his form as he tried to remain calm, despite his heart beating so quickly that it might jump through his throat.

"What?" The question was shaky.

Fear. It was something that the enemy seemed to get high on. A wicked smirk crossed the enemy's face as the words flowed from his mouth like velvet, sweet and endearing in tone.

"Welcome to hell, ladies and gentlemen.”

“What is the meaning of this? Who the hell are you?” Konegriech demanded with a hardened expression.

“As of now, I am the one who holds your lives in my hands,” the figure boasted as the German stared him down.

“I don't understand. We came here to see the Prime Minister. We want peace between Japan and Titannia,” Giselle's voice quivered as she spoke to the young man.

The result was him pointing a gun at her. The girl recoiled before she was covered by Konegriech. It nearly made the youth's cold heart melt the extent that her general would go to in order to save her life. “Oh Konegriech, you would throw your life away so that an inferior, inexperienced sub-viceroy would live? You could kill her with your bare hands. Hell, if you really wanted to, you could kill the entire royal family with your knowledge and skill alone. With your expertise on the military art of warfare, you could take over Titannia for yourself and claim the throne for Neo Germany. What do you owe Titannia?”

Giselle's frightened eyes looked to her general. She knew that it was true. Konegriech could very well destroy any axis with the deadly information he contained. Not only that, but if he truly wanted to, he could turn around and snap her neck faster than she could blink.

She heard the enemy's voice grow darker and more sinister. “You don't even belong to that country.”

“I am from Neo Germany, which is under the rule of Titannia. I serve directly under her majesty, Second Princess Giselle Faya Cossattia and I will protect her with my life.” Those strong words were enough to quell the trembling of her body. Thank god Konegriech wasn't easily swayed.

The brown-haired boy spat. “What a waste of talent. I might have to regret killing you.”

“What's going on? Where is the Prime Minister?” Yayoi demanded an explanation. How in the hell did this kid even infiltrate the Peace Hall in the first place?

The boy smirked. “I killed him, of course.”

Terror ran through Giselle and Yayoi, enough to be visible on their faces. Gilbert, Scarlett and Kanon's looks hardened.

“This was all a well-orchestrated plan to lure us out here,” Gilbert noted.

“You're as smart as you are good-looking,” the young man complimented the general's intelligence and beautiful features. “I'm impressed. Did you really think I wouldn't plan something as great as this? The defeat of Titannia is evident. Your deaths will be that as well. Now! Die, for the sake of the real peace of Japan!”

“No!” Giselle screamed in horror as Yayoi gasped.

“I've heard enough of your talking,” Konegriech stood tall to his command and stared down death with a steely determination. `I didn't want to use my power out in the open like this. It will arouse a lot of questioning, but I simply cannot allow the princess to die. If I lose her, then I, myself will have nothing to live for.'

…To Be Continued