Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Obituary Boys ❯ The doors ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Will didn't leave his bedroom to go down for breakfast Monday morning. He's "sick". It's not entirely untrue. His stomach was doing flip-flops, and his mind was foggy, and for some reason he couldn't stop his eyes from leaking salty water down his face. At least, the tears make sense to the pair inhabiting William Hyde's body; however, to his parents, the poor boy was seen as just suffering from a simple 24 hour bug. Most likely from being outside in the nippy Spring weather for too long while he's still in critical condition from being hooked up to machines for six months. Whatever the reason, he wasn't going to be attending school.

Zane wasn't one hundred percent sure. He had an inkling that his brother's ailment had something to do with the tantrum he'd thrown over the weekend, just because some older guy mentioned something about being gay. He wasn't sure what that had to do with his brother's life, but he was sure it had something to do with it. He missed the days when he could tell and ask his brother anything. Only time would tell what's to come of all this.

"It just makes me sick, Ludo!" Yakusoku fumed back and forth in a mad pacing left to right.

Ludwig watched silently in a seat. He wasn't faring any better, but he was keeping it in. No sense in both of them cracking up. He'll have his time once Yakusoku calms down.

"He probably didn't waste a second before going to Gev," Yakusoku punched his palm with his fist. "I'll bet he was just sitting around in my head ogling him for months, thinking: 'someday he'll be mine!' That… bastard!" He spat on the floor to remove the scenario from his taste buds.

Ludwig wondered if that was true? He doesn't know Hakuo Krenn at all. He did speak to him, once, when he was helping him out with his friend Sinclair. But Krenn didn't seem interested in Gev. He, also, didn't seem interested in him. But, at the time, he was under a lot of stress with wanting to go home and getting his life back. Maybe now that he's got it back he intends to live it; being fused with Mamoru means he wants to live it, at least the romantic portion of it, still with Gev.

'Mamoru…' Standing, he walked over to Yakusoku and stopped him from wearing a trail on the floor with his pacing. "Maybe it's not Hakuo but Mamoru,"

"Mamoru? But Gev said "Hakuo", if he'd meant Mamoru he would have said so."

"Yeah, but Mamoru is Hakuo's alternate personality. It's very likely they've merged, and now Gev's confusing the two because Hakuo's not quite his boyfriend but at the same time he is."

Yakusoku thought about that. It would be confusing. Hakuo would be acting one way instead of another, but at the same time he'd have those shades of Mamoru. Or would Hakuo simply be as he once was before the split? He's never been an alternate, he's come to discover that he was an inhabitant. So he doesn't know the ins-and-outs of what a person is like when they're whole compared to apart. It's messy. It was messy then and it's messy now.

"Think about it," Ludwig went on. "He's lost you and me, so to him the only person he has left is Mamoru... and he's technically still alive and well but in a different way. He'd have no choice but to call him Hakuo, because Hakuo likely won't let Gev call him Mamoru."

He was about to protest that he wasn't talking to Hakuo at the time, but then he remembered that Nono doesn't know about the many lives that have existed in Hakuo Krenn's body. Not even Gev and Ludwig were completely or even somewhat aware of the existence of his suicidal alter who went by his nickname, Yakuza.

"You're right… I'm being a jerk. It's not Gev's fault and it's not Hakuo's fault either." Yakusoku felt the heat of his anger cooling. "I'm just so mad because it isn't right."

"None of this is... but we have to face facts that all of this is just gonna keep on sucking." Taking a seat, he gave Yakusoku's hand a tug to instruct him down into the chair beside him. "Unless we tell Gev about us, he's going to go to you by any way that he can - - even if it's actually Hakuo."

"...And would it be so bad if we told him?" Yakusoku was serious. His emotions are jumping all over the place about this. He doesn't want to put Gev through more heartache because of how screwed up their new situation is, but he doesn't want him seeking comfort in Hakuo Krenn in his place.

"I don't know… Maybe the next time we go to see him we can just feel him out about it, y'know, instead of stalking him around the neighborhood - - I'd really hate to see what'll happen if he happens to catch up with us someday. I'm not sure I'm ready to be beaten into a pulp."

"Me neither." Opening Will's eyes he asked. "Is that our phone?"

Will sat up and grabbed his buzzing cell phone. It's Hakuo!

"What's he calling for?" He wondered as he took the call.

"I wanted to get you before school started," the Krenn teen began but was swiftly cut off.

"You've got a lot of nerve calling us," Yakusoku snapped. "Where do you get off stringing Gev along like that? How long have you been seeing him that he's already thinking about dating you?"

"Whoa guy," Hakuo waved off the negative vibes. "Turn it all the way down, nobody's dating anybody. At least not this boy. Why? What has Gev been saying?"

"He said he has sexual tension for you,"

Hakuo laughed in such a way that Yakusoku instantly felt embarrassed for being so worked up. "Come on, you don't seriously think that's supposed to mean something? I'm not hot for your Gev, and he's not hot for me. He sees me and thinks about you and Mamoru, it's the only reason he tolerates me - - trust me. He wants to have sex with my body, emotions have nothing to do with it."

"And you're sure about this?"

"In total I've seen him in-person twice - - and we sometimes video chat because he wants to look at me and think of either of you. It's therapy, why not go along with it? If he continues to hear me while looking at this ugly mug, it's likely he'll recover from his despair and stop all together."

"...Really?"

"Sure, why not. I'm a licensed shrink, so it's probably true."

Yakusoku ignored the sarcasm but allowed Hakuo's words to sink in. It is likely that Gev is only interested because of Mamoru and him. He loves him. He'd never fully get over it and just move on with his life.

"Why not just tell him?" Hakuo derailed Yakusoku's thought train. "What's the harm?"

"Too many to name, but… It is worth entertaining."

"Entertain it a little more than a little, because he thinks that you're stalking him - - at least, when he talks about some ugly little brat following him around town, I assume that it's the two of you."

Will's cheeks turned red. It's one thing to know Gev knows they're following him, but to have him talking about them cruelly because he doesn't know the truth is super awkward for the both of them.

"Are things not so happy at home that you're so hard-pressed for Gev?" Hakuo wondered.

"It's not that." Ludwig cut in on the vocal end. "We miss him as much as he misses us. We're a trio that somehow works, and it's really hard on us to just be away from him."

"Ludwig?" Hakuo noticed the change in speech pattern and figured they'd swapped places.

"Yeah,"

"Hey, are you better with the whole arrangement now?" He's been wondering for a while about that. Figuring, at some point to date the unanswered question, that Yakusoku would do everything while Ludwig exists without existing in the background.

"More or less. But neither of us is fine with this at the moment. It just keeps dawning on us that we're impersonating someone instead of living our own lives… it's confusing and painful."

"Sorry. But, what can you do? The situation is alive and you can either kill it or get over it." Hakuo replied very blandly about something that isn't bland at all. It actually has many bold flavors of death, loss, and newer experiences like moving on to the other side. "Personally, I'd choose life and try to figure out a way to make it work." After a pause he added. "Look, I've gotta go to school; but the reason I called is to give you a progress report. I've been trying to find someone to stick one of you into, but so far it's impossible to get into the hospital computer without my gift. However, this one made a friend who loves computers and junk, maybe he can help me out."

"Ok… I really don't see how that'll help anything, but at least things would be less confusing for Gev if we ever tell him what happened."

"There you go, 'silver-lining' logic - - I like you, Ludwig. You've got good sense." He hung up then.

"Do you think he's right?" Wondered Land.

"About Gev?" Ludwig joined Yakusoku in their sitting room. "I do. We both know how Gev is when it comes to the physicality of relationships; if we weren't a trio someone would be worn out by the end of the week."

Yakusoku smiled but then he frowned. "It sucks. I never got to experience it with Gev, his being there, I mean." Closing his eyes he felt the memory stir in his spark but the images were lost to him. "I told him as much... then I got the call from Adamari that something had happened to you." He looked at Ludwig. "It was the worst night of my life... But you know something? ...Visually, I can't even remember it."

Ludwig wondered if that was a good thing or bad, because he saw it as good. He hated that night. He wanted nothing to do with it. But it was unusual that he couldn't remember it visually either. He knows it happened because he was there. It's like his life are facts that he's been told about but never lived. How can that be?

Yakusoku watched Ludwig's face, knowing that he's likely thinking the same thing he is. "Ludo, I can't see anything that's happened to me, not personally and not between us. I just know them because they're my history. Is it the same for you?"

"I never thought about it until now, but it seems like it…" He tried to imagine the recital when Yakusoku first attended to watch him. He can feel how great it was but he can't see it. "What do you think it means?"

"I don't know," Yakusoku shook his head. "Do you think we've only got Will's memories? Visually anyway, but emotionally we have our feelings,"

"What's gonna happen if we stay inside his body?" Ludwig looked spooked. "Could we be taken over by Will's memories - - what if we become him?!"

Yakusoku jumped up from his seat as if he planned to confront the problem with a puffed up chest and a bad attitude. It's all he has really. "That's not going to happen. We're us and we're together, that makes us stronger than any shutdown memories of some tweenager."

"All of Hakuo and Mamoru's thoughts were locked away inside of him when you came along. You didn't have to worry about changes or consumption. Yaku'. But did you ever feel yourself slowly morphing into either of them once they were let out?"

Yakusoku shook his head, but he then paled. There were times when it felt like he wasn't being himself either with his family or friends. And, yes, he has felt thoughts and seen expressions in the mirror that were not his own. He's even been privy to seeing his father giving him a weird look when he was speaking to him, as if he'd blanked out for a moment and only came back after the initial weirdness had passed.

Ludwig swallowed over a nerve-formed lump in his throat having gotten his answer through the silence.

"But it was minor, so minor it could have just been me having an evolving moment in my own personality. I've been through a lot of stress." And wasn't that the truth.

But it was so interesting that he couldn't see it. He can feel the emotion of how scared, confused, and hurt he'd been but he can't see it. Would the horrible feelings leave him in time. Maybe not taken away by Will's feelings about anything, but simply fade from lack of imagery? A true redo. A near perfect reset. He didn't want to have those memories staying with him, but he didn't want to have Will take over - - if that's even a possibility. But what can they do to stay alive and ward him off?

"I hope it wasn't because we opened Will's doors before," Ludwig was saying. He's at the exit peeking through the glass pane at the still doors in the black void. They stopped moving a day after they'd tried to enclose around them and are now standing stalk-still as they had been before. "Let's seriously never open this door again."

"Fine by me, but, Ludo, I don't want to forget what my family looks like or who they were. I want to keep a lot of our memories."

"How?"

"I don't know. I don't know anything about this sort of thing!" Yakusoku sighed. "Maybe we can talk to Hakuo about it? He could know something. He'd know better than us, anyway."

Ludwig nodded to agree.

Will turned his head when the door to his bedroom opened. He smiled at his mother when she peeked in.

"Do you think you can eat something? I made some pancakes, but if you think it'll mess with your stomach I'll fix you some oatmeal."

"Oatmeal sounds good,"

Renee nodded then ducked out of the room to fix her son's breakfast.

Will lied back in bed and felt his stomach knot over a new crop of problems growing, and seeking nourishment off of his fears and worries in order to do so.

At Williamsport Area High school, things have gotten sketchy.

Hakuo doubled-over in pain after Josh socked him in the gut, he couldn't fall to the floor due to being held up by another guy, the abuser's best friend Clinton was keeping him from falling over.

The day had come to a successful end. He crossed T's and dotted I's and passed a couple pop quizzes. And just when he was about to push through the double-doors away from educational lockup to the zoning-out freedom of home life, he found himself being picked up and forcibly carried off by Josh to the men's room in the second wing hall. Where he is currently getting the stuffing punched out of him.

With a groan, he asked. "Are you seriously putting force behind it? I weigh eighty-nine pounds, you could slap me on the gut and it would hurt like hell - - stop being excessive." He winced when straightening himself up to a stand. "Why're you hitting me, anyway?" He wriggled to get free but it was useless, Clinton has the arms of a bear so he isn't getting free anytime soon.

"I told you to stop messing around with Lilah, and you didn't listen," Josh got right in Hakuo's face, breathing heavily into the close proximity. The Krenn teen can smell the snack cake the larger teen ate some time earlier still lingering on his breath, and his deodorant there but slowly dwindling as there's a soft hint of body-odor wafting now and then. "Now I'm gonna shove your head up your ass."

Hakuo ignored the urge to tell his attacker how impossible that was, and instead informed him. "She wants to be my friend, is that a crime all of a sudden?" He winced when Josh's hand slapped him across the face. "Guess so." At least he stopped punching him.

"You're so full of shit, you little pretty boy - - like I don't know you're trying to sleep with her, huh?" He grabbed him by the throat. "Admit it!"

"No. I'm not trying to sleep with her, that's ridiculous," the sting in his cheek was turning red and puffing up in the shape of the meaty hand that slammed it there.

"Well what kind of guy hangs out with a girl all secret like when he knows she's got a boyfriend?" He gave Hakuo's neck a light squeeze.

"It's called friendship. You're not new to the concept of a friend since you have one, who's currently holding me in place." He wriggled to get free and, again, failed. "Seriously, I don't like her that way. Is she not allowed to have guy friends, because I'm fairly certain you've got" he tried to loosen Josh's grip around his neck by jerking his head backwards but it did no good. "girl friends."

"I do, but she's always around when I hang out with them. We don't sneak around talking and laughing, trying to be slick - - fucking meeting up in private. So why doesn't she tell me what you do, if it's nothing?"

Hakuo gaped. "You mean she hasn't told you anything about what we've been doing?"

"Yeah, dumbass, I just said that,"

'What a dumb… Doesn't she know how her boyfriend sees it?' He sighed out his agitation. 'No wonder I'm getting a pummeling.' Shaking his head, he decides to reason with Josh - - if he can. "We've been to the arcade once, we had Dunkin' Donuts once, and you were there when we went bowling that one time." He was sure to stress the 'once' each time. "I don't have feelings for Delilah, believe me."

"Why the hell should I?"

"Because I'm gay, duh."

Hakuo was suddenly hands and knees on the swept, yet dirty, men's room floor when he was shoved away from Clinton - - not violently - - it was more like he'd been launched from a cannon straight down. He probably could have remained upright if the shove wasn't so sudden and unexpected. His aggressive peers huddled together like they were looking at a leper or some beastly monster from a movie, and they were just getting ready to produce a blood curdling scream.

"You're serious?" Clinton asked. "You're gay?"

"Yeah, I mean, not exactly." He held up his hands to defend himself when he saw Josh advance on his fallen figure, but seeing that the puffed up hopeless lover was just offering assistance for him to stand, he took the help. "I'm not into anyone. Period. I'm Asexual. But if I were forced to choose sides, I'd be into guys."

The two blinked as if Hakuo was speaking alien or in tongues. Gay. Asexual? They really had to take him in. He doesn't look gay. Where're the hot shorts? Where's the skin-tight shirts? Where're the flippy little hand gestures, and sassy tone of voice? He has to be lying. Or maybe the television was lying?

"I… Man, are you sure?" Josh asked. "Kissing guys gay, and taking it up…" His index finger prodded the air with demonstrative suggestion. "gay? Shit, man," the beefy teen studied Krenn as if he was a Class A experiment. Who admits to liking stuff like that? Or would it be 'possibly' liking stuff like that? Who decides homosexuality, if there's a chance to not be? What is wrong with this guy? "I'm… I really don't know what to say." He turned red from embarrassment of his behavior. "Sorry."

"You should be." Hakuo replied without malice, though, he had a right to any anger he might feel. How dare these creeps keep him from the bus, which is probably gone by now! Just to wail on him over some girl who's purposefully trying to agitate her boyfriend.

"Look, we're both really sorry, so… maybe if you don't say anything, we can put this behind us?" Clinton was saying. He looked like he was about to turn green. "We won't tell anyone your secret, we swear."

"I'm not going to say anything about this. I've got a high tolerance for irrational stupidity," he smiled at the expressions on their faces. They looked like they knew that they were insulted but they weren't sure how to take it. "I won't do anything to you either. And tell whoever you want about my orientation because it's no skin off my nose. However…" He locked eyes with the ring leader and said in a very tight tone. "Between you and me, I think there was a reason Delilah wasn't telling you that she and I were just hanging out as friends, either she wants you to be jealous so you can shower her with more attention or she wants you to break up with her because she has a thing for me, and doesn't realize she doesn't have a chance in hell."

Now Josh was red for another reason, anger rather than embarrassment. "That's not true. Lilah wouldn't do that to me,"

"I think she might. I don't wanna talk down on her because she's a nice person, but what other reason is there but one of the two?"

"But that's bullshit!" Josh mulled over the situation. "Does she know about your... preference?"

"I will tell her, or you could - - I really don't care. But I'm sick of this nonsense between us over her." Hakuo took a step forward and the pair jumped back like he had defibrillators and planned to 'clear' them out of his way. "You can't catch homosexuality, calm down. I was just going for the sink to wash my hands," he held them up to show off the dirt there from the floor.

The two parted for him to get to the sinks.

"Delilah approached me for friendship or more, it wasn't the other way around. Talk to her if you want answers." He grabbed a length of napkin from the dispenser, drying his hands well before tossing the wet wad of brown paper into the trash can. "Why do people always go for the one the cheater is into, instead of the person who's cheating?" Checking his watch he groaned. "The buses are gone, thanks! Thanks, a lot!"

"Sorry about that," Josh scratched the back of his head. "I can give you a ride, if you want?"

"You sure you're not gonna hurl me out of the car into a ditch or something?" He smirked.

"No." He scoffed. "Not unless you make a pass at me,"

"What is it with you and your girlfriend using me as a relationship wrecking apparatus?" Waving for them to come along he says. "Let's go." He pushed the door open and walked out into the hall peppered with straggling after school students who've stayed for clubs and sports.

"This was your stupid idea," Clint was saying in a snip under his breath as they headed for the parking lot. "You'd better hope he doesn't rat on us, I can't afford to have my dad on my ass because I beat up a gay guy - - it's like beating up a girl. And they're gonna think it was a hate crime. Do you know how fucking sensitive everyone is these days?"

Josh does know. Everyone was especially touchy because of this year's presidential candidates. One wrong step and the whole school would come down on them and they'd be expelled. He has nothing against homosexuals, his distant cousin is a lesbian. But he's not exactly so into the situation as to make close friends with one. What if they start to like him? How weird would that get? Hopefully this will all have ended with the apology.

Josh, as promised, didn't shove Hakuo to the curb but drove him straight to his house on Newberry. No one spoke during the drive but the air was loaded with wanting to. Hakuo could feel it. It was one of the things he hated most about people. They never ask questions when they want to know something, not all of them. And the air sits loaded with want, and it's thick and stagnate. It was even worse when he had his gift and couldn't control it from grabbing thoughts and feelings from the air. It was super annoying. He couldn't concentrate on anything. Luckily, it didn't last long. He was very into training his mind to be better than the next man. He couldn't help but sigh in wonder when he'd ever get it back.

"Thanks." He said when climbing out of the vehicle.

"Hey, I wanna say that I'm sorry, again, really. If I had known, I wouldn't have gone all ape on you."

"Even if I wasn't gay, you shouldn't have attacked me." He's leaned over in the window. "Because I'm smaller than you. And talking is easier than walking away embarrassed, or having the heavy come down on you for being stupid." He shrugged a hand then walked away.

"Hey, buddy!" Nathen hurries down the paved path from the front door of the Krenn home. His cheerful expression dropped and he glared past Hakuo to Josh and Clinton sitting in the idling car. "Did they do that to you?" He asked with a tone full of shock and anger.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, but it's all over with now," He touched his bruised cheek. "I won by inflicting intense embarrassment, and even got an apology."

But Nathen continued past him and down to the curb where the car had yet to move. "Hey, you jerks!"

"Nathe," Hakuo called to him with amusement. What was the gangster-accented pacifist planning on doing? This isn't like him. "Seriously, they apologized."

"No. This has gone on long enough," he slapped the roof of the car, and poorly snapped at the stronger teen through the window. "Hakuo is one of the nicest guys at school, and you've hit him, spilled food on him, knocked him down, and even embarrassed him by leaving a used tissue with fecal matter in his locker..."

Hakuo winced from that statement as he'd like to forget that day.

"And all because your slut girlfriend doesn't have the guts just to dump you." He gulped when hearing his new best friend in the background give an 'Oohhh guuuurl' whistle. Too far?

Josh got out of the car all teeth and snarl and 6 '2'' on 189 and grabbed Nathen's skinny frame by the collar of his shirt. "What did you say about my girl?"

"I say so many things," he cowarded. Slapping himself on the cheek he says. "Bad, Monkey! Bad! Go eat a banana, and reflect on your words so you never do it again."

Hakuo cocked a brow in wonder of what Josh would do to the quivering techie, but when the brawny teen locked eyes with his cool assassin gaze he set Nathen back down. Hakuo may not have stuck up for himself, but Josh could see he'd stick up for Monkey. And despite his size he'd come in tooth and nail. And strange as it would seem, Hakuo would probably win.

"Better watch yourself, Ape Escape."

Nathen mock laughed in good-humor. "Good one, Josh. I haven't heard that yet," Seeing the beefy teen get back into his car, he called after its departure. "Nice car! Get home safely!"

Hakuo snickered at Nathen's side. "What was that, kid? You take some 'tough guy' pills this morning?"

Dropping his head he couldn't help but feel a blush pooling in his cheeks. It was embarrassing. He vowed just the other night he'd defend his friend and when put to the test, he failed. "I'm just tired of him picking on you all the time. And it really is because Lilah's a cheating creep. What kind of girl stops liking a guy just because she thinks someone better has come along? A slut, if you ask me."

"Come on, Thug Life, let's get cracking on that homework." He heads for the house.

Nathen followed after him. Hakuo seems alright, never mind the bruised cheek and slightly swollen corner of his mouth. But dammit. Next time, he's really going to defend him! Closing the front door, he walked past the living room and waved at Mrs. Krenn who's watching General Hospital but he got no response. She wasn't ignoring him, she just hadn't seen the greeting being too engrossed in the show. His mother is the same way. They'd probably really like each other.

"Do you think I could set our mother's up for a playdate?" He joked when they reached Hakuo's bedroom.

"What?" Dropping his bag to the floor he flopped down on his bed removing his sneakers.

"Oh, I just thought our moms would get along, because they both like soap operas."

"Oh." He walked to the closet and tugged off his shirt to slip into another one.

Nathen steals peeks at his friend. It wasn't the first time he's seen him shirtless, and every time he's horrified. But he can't look away from all the scars. Hakuo suffered so much, and yet he seems unaffected by it. But, one doesn't know another man's inner situation. So who could say.

"Do you want something to eat or drink?" asked the owner of the bedroom as he moved to the exit with his dirty laundry.

"I'm good. I've got a Tastykake in my backpack."

"Be right back." He disappeared.

Nathen could never get used to being in Hakuo's room. It was like touching him. It felt wrong. Like a violation on his delicate person. The Small teen felt that he'd do something wrong, move something in the wrong way and that would be the end of their friendship. Plus, that Joker doll really freaks him out. It's like it's watching him to ensure that he stays in line.

The buzzing phone on the bed caught his attention and he wandered over to take a peek. 'It's them?' He wondered what kind of label that was for a caller. 'I wonder what he's got for me?'

Hakuo returned and watched in stealth as Nathen looked at his buzzing phone. Entering his bedroom, he answered the, verbally, unasked question. "It's Gangsta Nathe," picking up the phone he sees it's from Yakusoku and Ludwig. "I'm gonna take this, be right back."

Hakuo crossed through the hall to take the call with the conjoined duo. He was actually planning on calling them later on because of something that Gev had called him about earlier in the month; he thought he could address the problem on his own, but he's been at a mental lock with himself over the subject and simply doesn't know what to do, leaving him to realize he needs to bring it to the person more involved than he is. Although, this sudden need of conversation from them has put the subject on the backburner.

"What's up?"

"I wanna ask you something personal, okay?"

Hakuo wasn't sure who he's speaking to because without seeing the nuances of their expressions sometimes it was hard to tell without a full conversation going on. "Go on,"

"When you were little, if you can remember, was there ever a time when you thought Mamoru might be fusing with you… I mean, you'd have a hard time telling your thoughts and feelings over his?"

"What do you mean? Like he'd be taking over my body?"

"More or less your personality wouldn't be yours anymore, you'd be doing things that seem more like Mamoru,"

Hakuo thought that over. There have been tons of times when he'd check-out without meaning to, but as far as Mamoru trying to be the king of the castle... It never really came up, not as far as he can recall. "I'm not sure. I've never had a moment where I would decline bacon, and I'm not sexually interested so I can't really say."

"I don't mean the hard differences, I mean… You'd say something or look a certain way and you'd know that it wasn't yourself?"

Hakuo's brows furrowed. "Where is this coming from? Don't tell me you found Will? I've checked, the kid was barren."

"Well… Ludo and I kind of snuck out into his hall of memories and since then we've been feeling kind of tweaked." To better explain, he says. "We only looked at two memories, we were trying to get a sense of who the hell this kid was because people keep looking at us funny, and if we're gonna keep a cover then it has to be right. But all we found was baggage about the divorce and nothing of spectacular interest. When we left to come back to our room the doors kind of swam for us."

Hakuo didn't know what to say. He's never come across anything like that. Mamoru and he were walled up inside of Yakusoku. When Mamoru was able to get the teen to break the seal allowing them access into his thoughts, they remained in the Mind Room that he'd created. He never had a need to dip into Yakusoku's memories; any of the times he's seen them, such as nowadays in flashes and random dreams involving the Land's life, he's never felt like he's being taken over by them. And before then, the memories played out for them because Yakusoku was thinking of them.

"Hakuo?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you." He replied with regret. "It would suck if the kid's memories are trying to snack on the two of you to remain in his mind, but if I had to assess the situation scientifically, I'd say that you're in deep shit if Will's memories want to get at you. You guys are a spark of emotions and feelings, memories aren't solids they're something we conjure up. You could be risking your lives if you pull something like that again."

"Shit. I thought so."

"How are things now? Are the doors still moving?"

"No. It's quiet, but Ludo and I can't see our memories, we can feel them but the images are gone."

"Hmm… But you found each other in a space to share?"

"Yeah, the library at school where we first met."

Hakuo smiled hearing the blush in Yakusoku's voice, embarrassed over believing he'd be picked on, but he wouldn't do that. Hakuo really thinks they're sweet. But, man, they're also really stupid. Who the hell looks into someone else's memories without a gift to do so? It's like wondering what a baby is thinking. Going into a baby's mind is a coma in itself. Nothing but black waves and white noise because of their lack of words and images at that age.

"Well, on the plus side you're still there together. If your memories go, or have gone then you could have risked not having anywhere to go back to." Hakuo concluded. "Seriously, don't go fucking around outside of your room. I can't do anything to help you without my gift, it's mediocre at best right now. So anything major as finding the two of you in the sea of someone else's mind and I'm risking hemorrhage." And he hated admitting that. "Good luck in there, and try to remember as much as you can and hold onto it as more than a feeling. Okay?"

"Okay."

"I'll call you later, bye - - wait!" He called before they could respond and hang up. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry for this much. Not my choice of keeping you alive, but for all this other nonsense. I didn't think it through completely. You know how impulses are."

"Unfortunately, yes. I'll hear from you later then, bye."

"Yeah, bye." Hanging up, he returned to his bedroom; seeing Nathen seated firmly at the computer desk, deeply invested in his homework, he smiled. "You're awesome."

"Why?"

"Because you're not nosey." Sitting on his bed he continued. "Most people see that a conversation is private and they sneak around trying to listen in, but you're here doing your homework."

"Mm." He nodded. "But I was spying on your phone when it rang,"

"That's normal," he waved it off. "I'd look at your phone if it was buzzing out in the open."

The pair worked in silence for a moment, then Nathen distracted them by asking. "So, how'd you get off of Josh's 'Agitation Installment Plan'? He didn't have a scratch on him from what I saw,"

"I told him I'm gay."

"Seriously?" His brows shot to his hairline. "Good plan, I never thought of trying that - - of course, no girl has ever tried to date me when she has a boyfriend already."

"It wasn't a plan. I'm one percent gay and ninety-nine point-nine percent not interested in anyone Asexual."

Nathen was going to have a serious face-lift if his brows continued to disappear as they are. "Really? And that didn't make them beat you up worse?"

"No. They were really cool about it. I think Josh was just relieved that I'm not into Delilah."

"Wow."

"It's not so "wow", there are gays everywhere." Hakuo pulled out his math book. "You didn't know that about me? It's so obvious."

Shaking his head, he replied. "I've never met anyone who's gay... I've suspected people, but no one's ever said it to confirm. And I never thought it of you." He marveled at him. "I've never even thought of hugging a guy; but, you're saying you'd be in a relationship with one?"

Looking up from his notebook, he smirked at his friend. "I'd offer you a simple kiss, but I know a guy who'd knock your teeth down your throat if he ever found out."

"Better we don't then," Nathen nodded.

Hakuo nodded to confirm it was a no-go. He closed the book then straightened from his bend. "Why won't you touch me?"

"Huh?"

"I've known you for about a month now, and you never touched me," Hakuo got off the bed. "I don't have cooties."

He felt embarrassed and spun around in the chair to continue his homework, leaving the answer addressed to his book. "I just didn't want to upset you, after everything that's happened..." his pencil stilled and he turned to face his friend, who was alarmingly close to him. "I didn't want to be the one to make you uncomfortable and have you hate me."

Hakuo grinned sweetly, reaching up a hand he stroked Nathen's cheek. "People touch me all the time. It's not a big deal." Brushing his friend's blond hair behind his ear, he then moved away. "My lines aren't blurred. I know good from bad, and I don't feel threatened by you." Sitting down on his bed he was about to get back to work when his mother walked in.

"Where's your sister?" She asked. "Hello, Nathen."

"Hi, Mrs. Krenn."

"Sleeping," replied her son. "Or maybe she's dead, I saw her laying down in bed. I figure it's one of the two."

"Okay."

Nathen gaped at the blase response to such a declaration. How could he say something like that about his sister and to his mother at that!? He'd be examined, if he did it. Although with his brother, he'd hoped the latter was true… maybe once or twice.

"Did you need her for something? I can help you?" He closed his books, done with homework.

"Yes, we need stuffing for meatloaf."

"I'll get it," Standing, he looked at his friend. "Wanna come along?"

"I can't, I've gotta go home before five," He checked his watch. "Shoot, I need to go." Gathering his things, he walked over to Hakuo but his hand remained hovering over his shoulder.

Both Krenns watched the odd moment with amusement, as Nathen debated a simple pat on the shoulder with his friend.

Hakuo snickered and said, "Don't force yourself, if you're gonna have a panic attack. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Right, see you." He said goodbye to Mrs. Krenn on the way out.

"Strange boy," she commented.

"Isn't he?" He took a moment to clean up his books. "I'll get your stuffing; can I drive?"

"Go ahead." Seeing the bruises and swell, she asked. "What happened to you?"

And he explained it on his way downstairs.

He has his learner's permit and likes any opportunity given to better practice the handling of a vehicle. He eagerly would go anywhere to do so. Although, it can be nerve-wracking because he needs a driver in the car with him, but unless he takes his sister, he's often alone. Celes has her license. However, she hardly ever wants to drive anywhere. Girls. They can be such a mystery.

# #

Hakuo called Will later that evening after dinner. It was very important.

"You know how I've been keeping in contact with Gev? Well, he called me the other day and told me something." He didn't allow a long pause knowing what the two were likely thinking. "It's about Elias. He's been asking for you, well, who he thinks is you. I don't know what to do."

"Elias..."

It was hard to tell who had said it. Hell, it could have been both Land and Ballantyne. He is Yakusoku's unplanned son with his captor and also Ludwig's cousin. So either could have said his name in thought.

"Gev said that Mrs. Ballantyne told him Elias is either crying for Ludwig, or asking where Yakusoku is. He must need you more with his cousin gone. I don't know, I'm not a father. And I don't know if I suddenly could be. Technically speaking, I'm the kid's uncle. But even that's weird."

"I forgot all about Elias," Yakusoku said. "I don't know what to tell you. If you go and see him, he's gonna want you to stay there. And if you tell him you've moved..."

"He's gonna wanna come live with me." He finished the thought.

"Why not write to him?" Suggested Ludwig. "It's harmless compared to Facetime through the internet or seeing him in-person. He can't vice-grip you in place or he won't be left crying, while he can only see you."

"But what do I say?" He felt constipated and nauseous over the situation. That's the high stress that one shouldn't just randomly have thrust upon them. "Can't you help me? You can send it in a text and I can write it on paper."

"I don't know what to say either. I never wanted to be a father… Not like this…" Yakusoku was quiet for a moment, then he spoke slowly and evenly. "I don't want to disappoint Elias. I told him we'd be friends. I don't know how to deal with this, considering the current situation. You'll either have to take my place in his life or break the kid's heart by ignoring him."

"Sure, make me the bad guy." He rubbed his face with his hand. "I'm so not cool with this. Maybe I can find some way to ward him off. Explain that I'm hurting, too, and just can't be there for him like that."

Yakusoku sighed with exasperation. How could he have forgotten about Elias? How can Hakuo break a kid's heart cleanly without repercussions? It was nice to know that things weren't all rainbows and sunshine on Krenn's end - - at least, that's what his sadistic side thought. His better sense felt bad for Hakuo, because his life was hanging onto him just as Hakuo's life had clung to him.

But at least he has the better of the two scenarios. He's simply facing the fact that he - - technically, to the unknowing populace - - has a kid who loves him. He didn't have to live through being re-stalked and abducted by Marissa Ashford posing as a girl named Maria Atkinson. And he doesn't have to handle the knowledge that he has a child with her due to being molested. He doesn't have to know the pain of being raped by that same woman. And Hakuo doesn't have to live with the constant flashbacks.

Yeah, Yakusoku would trade places with Hakuo any day of the week.

Chat Room:

RabbitHole: Get ready to die of jealousy, men, because the pleasure of a solo act is all mine.

And he posted a link to a file.