Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Oh the Magic of Sweet 16! ❯ Amperia Life ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Amperia, while it was technically my home, it never really felt that way. It was always more like my prison. Sure I was the Renee` Alexis Mardson, Crown Princess of Amperia, free to roam the lands of my country. However I was constantly being suffocated by my own personal ANNOYING body guards. They make the most pleasant open spaces, such as Aphrodite’s Garden, unbearable. I mean it’s my favorite place in the entire lands, but I never truly get to see it because I’m always being hovered over. It doesn’t help that I have no friends in Amperia.


Of course I have never made attempts to make friends, seeing as I spend very little time here. I can’t wait until I can go back to my true home on the Humane Plane. I miss Lena and Deryck. They make me feel strong and powerful, like I’m supposed to be here. If only I could tell them, about who I really am, about Amperia. I can’t tell them though. Not any of it. I can’t tell anyone. I turn sixteen in less than a week and that will be another year that I’ve lied to them. Not telling them why I’m always leaving in the middle conversations or other things.


I’ve thought about telling them, don’t think I haven’t. However it goes against every rule set by the Fairy Council. Mortals are not allowed to know about the magical worlds that exists within their midst. And that just bites. When I first brought up, several years ago, telling Lena the room got quiet and my mother had to explain the Protection Law to me. I never voiced my desire to share my gift with my friends again.


I shut my journal and looked out at the garden below from my balcony. Three more days and I would be home. Back with my friends and away from this horrid prison of a castle. I loved Amperia don’t get me wrong. It’s the staff inside that doesn’t love me. They never have. I miss my life, and especially my room, back home. Mom won’t let me paint the walls here. The ghastly white walls of the palace stared at me and I felt like I was locked in an insane asylum.


It was nothing like my room back on the Humane Plane. I had free reign over my room there. Three of my walls were painted hot pink and the wall my bed was against was a blackboard. I’d divided that wall into two halves; the first one was the one my bed was on and it had all of my artwork covering it. Lena and Deryck had even signed it when she and I became friends with him, while the other half had all my school assignments, club meetings, and other things of that nature.


My queen size bed (because they, unfortunately, don’t come in princess size) was covered in a black, hot pink and lime green striped bed set. My black laptop normally sits in the center of the bed; however I had brought it with me to Amperia this week. My bookshelf was covered with CD’s and my favorite books. My stereo system sat on my entertainment center along with my TV. In other world it was my safe haven.


On the last night of my mother and I’s stay in Amperia, there was a ball in my honor. Since I’d decided to celebrate my actual birthday in my “real” home the royal court threw me one. I hated these royal events, so I would normally stay for about an hour then claim that I was tired and then respectfully… skip the rest of the party. I’d make a bee line for my chamber and throw on my already laid out jeans and t-shirt. I always set my favorite oriental satin robe right by the secret passage way and head straight for the nearest garden, or sometimes the kitchen.


That night, however, was impossible for me to escape. Normally those things are just excuses for the courtiers to show off their “skills” at dancing and what not. The one night they decide to have an actual purpose for one of these things it had to be me. A night that is all about their Princess: Me. Did it ever occur to them the princess may just want a normal night in her room or out in the gardens talking to her friend via email?


Of course they don’t so I was stuck in the ballroom for two and a half hours, trying to avoid dancing with every jerk that came my way. It didn’t last long, and soon enough Lord Marlon pushed his son in my direction. Not wanting to give the kingdom any other reason to look down on their “rebel” princess I accepted. The orchestra played a waltz and I wanted to die. To make things worse the entire dance floor emptied save me and my partner which I had completely forgotten the name of. The song ended and every one clapped. We bowed and I walked away.


I was more than grateful when my mother announced that we were leaving early so that I could ready for my party in the human realm the next day. So we gracefully bowed out of the grand ballroom and then as soon as we were out of the sight of those remaining, I took off. I jetted off to my room, changed and arrived at my mother’s chambers before she had even gotten there. She rolled her eyes and questioned whether I had all of my things packed.


“I never unpacked Mom and I’ve got my laptop in my drawstring.” I said smugly. She rolled her eyes again. We entered the double doors, and I stopped at the portrait of my father. A silent tear rolled down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away. My mother still cried over my father’s death and I took it upon myself to be strong and not let her see me cry. She knew that it hurt me, the whispers in the palace about my father. It was why the whole kingdom resented me.


He had given his life to save me. Many members of the staff blamed me for the loss of their king. While they tried to hide it, I knew that they felt this way. They knew that it wasn’t really my fault, as I was only two when it happened, but they still saw me as the indirect cause. I couldn’t hate them for this. The whole kingdom had seen my father as the greatest ruler they’d ever had. Now I only hoped I could fill his shoes when the time came for me to ascend the throne. I wanted to prove them wrong, to show them that I can be who I’m supposed to be. I only hoped I lived that long.


The old prophecy still rings in my ear to this day; Sixteen years, the princess lives. Until to her love her life she gives. The demon’s smile invites her in, then the floor beneath begins to spin. Tomorrow I would be sixteen. Did that mean I would be killed shortly thereafter?


The next morning I woke up to my familiar room and smiled. Then I winced in pain. I looked at the birth mark on my left shoulder. Well glared would be a more appropriate term. The winged-heart shape there was burning. Then all of a sudden I felt weightless. I let out a terrified cry as I saw I was floating and then called for my mom.


I felt her presence before she even opened the right side of the double doors. I had fallen from midair by then. By the look on her face I could tell she knew what had happened. When she entered the room she had what looked like hot tea in her hands. I knew better than that. It was the thing I despised more than anything in known worlds; the Sealing Potion. I knew it would be the last time I would ever have to take the stupid thing but it was the most disgusting thing that I had ever had the displeasure of putting in my mouth.


I sucked up my pride and chugged it down. It may not have been very ladylike but it got the job done. As soon as it hit my mouth the floating, flying feeling disappeared and I was left with only the aches on my back from the fall seeing as I hadn’t exactly landed on the bed. I groaned and stood up as my mother left.


I could also feel my wings molding back into my back the way they always did after the sealing potion. I often felt bad about not using them, but I don’t think I could use them to get to school and not risk exposing to the whole campus, and possibly world, what I was. I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. Moring breath and sealing potion does not mix well.


For most of the rest of the day I spent fixing my hair and making sure Lena knew what room we were in. My cell phone went off in the middle of checking my email. I looked at the caller ID. It was D.J.


Deryck Jayden was my best guy friend and I had a stupid crush on him. You know how every girl gets those darn butterflies when they see the guy? Well I got those plus ladybugs and fireflies when I just got a text message.


I hadn’t heard from him in a week (the stupid fairy realm needs to get a cell tower) so I quickly answered. “Hey Deryck what’s up?” I asked.


“Not much just called to wish you Happy Birthday, and to tell you that I’ll be at the hotel at 5:30 so we can go over your grand entrance. Is that okay?”I heard him grin through the phone. I told him it was fine and that I’d see him then. We hung up and I glanced at the clock. It was 2:15. That left three hours and fifteen minutes still then.

I sighed; I really needed one of his hugs right now. I knew we would be leaving at around three o’clock so I double checked that all my stuff was ready to go and hoped into bed and opened the nearest book on my night stand. There’s nothing like Pride and Prejudice to take my mind off of my crush, right? NOT!!