Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Ookami's Tale ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Stupid new school,” I muttered as I made my way through the hallways. Everyone stared at me as I passed, whispering things to their friends. My sensitive ears caught every word they said.
“A wolf?” one girl whispered.
“Maybe she's with those other animal freaks,” her friend whispered.
“People like her should be allowed to come here,” a boy hissed.
“Shut up, all of you!” I shouted. They all stared at me. They had no right to talk about me like that. I growled and ran up the stairwell to the roof.
My wolf ear perked up and my tail swayed happily when I saw him. A boy, about my age, was sat on the roof, staring at the clouds. His hair was a reddish-brown and he wore the mandatory school uniform. The only thing different about him was his monkey ears and tail.
“Alef, give it back,” he said suddenly.
I blinked, confused. “H-huh?” I asked.
“Aw, Yamazaru, let me have some fun for once!” a voice behind me said. I turned to see a girl with fox ears and a fox tail crouched behind me. She held my wallet in her hands.
“H-hey, give that back!”
She grinned. “Catch me first.” The fox-girl sprinted to the other side of the roof.
“I don't want to! Give it back!”
The monkey-boy sighed and stood up. “Alef, just give it back.” He held out his hand.
“Oh, fine,” the fox-girl pouted, handing him the wallet.
He smiled and walked over to me. “Sorry,” he said, handing me my wallet. “Alef's a pickpocket. She can be troublesome.”
“Thanks,” I muttered, staring at the ground in front of me.
“No problem. I'm Yamazaru, nice to meet ya! You're that new girl everyone's talking about, right?”
A low growl rose in my throat. “Yeah. Do ya have a problem with it?”
He put his hands up in mock surrender. “Not at all! Don't get so defensive, geez!”
“Sorry, force of habit.”
“Hey, is she the new girl?” someone asked from above.
I looked up just in time to see a girl with the wings of an eagle hovering just above us. “H-how…? That's the first time I've ever seen a person with wings,” I muttered.
Yamazaru smiled. “That's Tori,” he said. “You still haven't told me your name, though.”
“Oh…its Kitsuki…”
“Kitsuki, huh? Nice. Its original.”
Alef came and stood by Yamazaru. “Aw, quit bugging her, `Zaru,” she said. “Neko and Baka will be here soon, so can we just start eating?”
Tori landed on the other side of the monkey-boy. “I'm getting hungry too, she said, folding her wings against her back.
“Baka, give it back!” a girl's voice shouted from the stairwell.
A cat-boy emerged from the stairwell, holding a sketch book and laughing. “Aw, I wanna see your drawings!” he said.
A cat-girl followed him up the stairwell. “No, give it back!” she shouted, chasing him.
Yamazaru sighed and took the sketchbook from the cat-boy's hands with his tail. He handed it to the cat-girl. “There, Neko,” he said, smiling.
“Nya! Thanks!” She looked at Yamazaru, then at me, then back at him. “Is she your girlfriend, nya?”
“W-what?!” I shouted. I barely even know him! We just met!”
Yamazaru rubbed the back of his head and smiled nervously. “Um, she's the new girl, Neko,” he said, a bit embarrassed.
“Oh, well, why didn't you say so, nya!” the cat-girl said, clinging to my arm. “I'm Neko, nya!”
“Erm, I'm Kitsuki,” I said, blushing slightly.
The cat-boy ran over to us, screaming. He clung onto Alef. “There's an old guy reading hentai manga over there!” he said.
Alef shrugged him off. “Don't cling to me!” she shouted. “You're such an idiot, Baka!”
“Who would name their child `Baka'?” I muttered.
“That's not my real name,” he pouted. “I just like it better.”
“Sorry for making a mistake,” I said sarcastically, crossing my arms.
“Can we just eat?” Alef asked, annoyed.
“Yeah, I guess so,” Yamazaru said. “Everyone's here.”
“Yays, I'm hungry!” Neko exclaimed, letting go of my arm.
“I don't eat lunch, sorry,” I said.
They all looked at each other. “We'll share if you want anything to eat,” Tori said, smiling.
I smiled back at her. “Thanks, but no thanks. I'll be fine.”
Yamazaru took my hand. “Meet us here for lunch everyday, okay?” the monkey-boy said.
I felt my cheeks heat up slightly and I nodded. “Okays…”
“Heh, my little cousin has a boyfriend already?” a voice behind us asked. I turned to see my cousin, Izuko. He had long black hair and dark purple eyes.
“I do not!” I shouted at him, pulling my hand away from Yamazaru, blushing slightly. “And why are you even here, “Ko?!”
He pulled his hand from his pocket and tossed a small bag to me. “That's from bro.”
I pulled a small, star-shaped biscuit from the bag. “Why's he making me treats?”
“I dunno. But I made ya these.” He handed me another bag.
I looked inside. “Cupcakes? But you can't cook, `Ko!”
Baka took the bag of cupcakes from me, pulled one out, and took a bite. “Oh my God, they're so good!” he said, eating the rest.
Izuko grinned. “Ya think so? I kinda mixed up the salt and sugar though, so they probably taste a bit weird…”
“They're still good!” He pulled out another and put the whole thing in his mouth at once.
I shook my head, disgusted. “How can he eat that?”
“He's kinda weird,” Neko said
Tori smiled. “You'll get used to it.”
Izuko and Baka stood talking and laughing. Tori, Neko, Alef, and Yamazaru left to go eat. I was stood alone. Behind my idiotic cousin, I saw a patch of gray fur. I leaned to the side to get a better view. It looked like…a wolf's tail? I whistled. The tail twitched and a gray wolf turned to look at me. I smiled as he changed his form and hugged me. “I missed you, Mistress,” he said.
Akaru, the wolf, had silver hair and red eyes in his human-like form. His tail, ears, and fangs still remained.
“If you worry about me so much, why don't you just enroll here?” I asked.
“I should,” he replied, “but I dunno.”
“Nya, who's he?” Neko asked, skipping over to us. Alef, Tori, and Yamazaru still stayed where they were, eating and laughing. I noticed the monkey-boy glancing at me every once in a while. I ignored it, thinking it didn't mean anything.
“Erm, this is Akaru,” I said.
“He's adorable!” Neko hugged the wolf-boy. “Does he come here?”
I grinned. “He does now!”
Akaru chuckled nervously. “I, um, start next week…”
“Hey, dog-boy, its time to go!” Izuko shouted.
“Don't call me that!” Akaru shouted back at him. He sighed and hugged me once more. “I'll see you later, Mistress!” He ran off after my cousin.
Baka, Neko, and I joined the others for the rest of the lunch period. This was gonna be a strange year.