Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Return to the Lost Island ❯ where i finally found a sign of civilization ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

RETURN TO THE LOST ISLAND
 
Disclaimer: I own nothing except Iridia Sunheart.
 
Notes: Just another writer's block. A little adventure of my feminine avatar in what I called survival mode. Inspired by Jules Verne, one video-game and various books about marooned characters trying to survive with their wits.
 
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
Where I finally found some sign of civilization…
 
My strength had finally returned. I went back to the pathway and worked my exit from the tree trunks. I reached the end of the pathway when I perceived another pulse of energy. Now, I sensed that I was retaining a charge from this raw power. I took the time to check myself by meditating and decided that it wasn't doing something dangerous to me. On the contrary, should I manage to regain a modicum of my powers as a guardian; this `internal charge' would constitute a nice edge for the future.
 
I reached a wooded area dominated by a volcano. I was right: I was on a volcanic island. Well, at least the ground was very fertile. Now to cross my fingers and hoped that the volcano remained asleep during my stay…
 
I didn't have a solid foundation in botany, but one learnt a few things during some travels in some dimensions, especially those based on a heroic-fantasy theme. There were surely quantities of useful plants nearby. I just only had to find them.
 
All this reminded me that I didn't know what I could find inside the island and there was still the question of the mysterious man. I had my crude knife as a weapon, but I sensed that I could need something more powerful or with more reach. I found a niece piece of wood that was both solid and flexible. I smiled and decided to emulate Robin Hood and built a bow. Of course, I still needed a proper string and to make some arrows.
 
I abruptly stopped as I reached a crossroad. I blinked and pinched myself. No, I wasn't dreaming, I was really seeing an electric line on wooden poles. Well, that could only meant that I would reach civilization earlier than what I thought.
 
I continued to look and saw a white smoke at the end of one the roads. I was petrified. Why was I so afraid to find someone living on this island?
 
Before I walked to the smoke, I found some hibiscus plants that I knew to be very hardy. Using my knife, I collected them and braided them into a fine, solid and flexible string. It was ideal for my bow.
 
I was disappointed when I reached the source of the white smoke. It was vapour from a volcanic hot source and I couldn't even use it to bathe since it was too hot. Well, I could always cook something in it later.
 
I watched around the source and jerked back: A snake! A nice and probably poisonous snake was using the sun near some bushes and trees.
 
As I examined those plants, I noted that they could be very useful? But how to dispatch this pesky snake. I could kill it, but I wasn't sure of my fighting prowess, especially with such crude weapons. I smirked as I remembered some documentaries on TV.
 
I managed to catch the head of the snake by using my forked staff. It wasn't happy but he couldn't stop me to gather some natural rubber and something that I was sure was a medicinal plant. I took back my staff and hightailed before Mr Snake decided to voice his thinking of me with…biting arguments.
 
I reached the end of another road. Well… Not totally. The remains of a rope bridge over a small river showed that something was on the other side of the shore. I could have climb down, but there was too much risk of injury. It was too bad since I could see some man-made structures on the other side. I sighed, but remarked something at my feet.
 
There was the cadaver of a small mouse nearby a bush with dark berries. I smirked. It was certainly some toxic berries and could certainly be useful in the future.
 
For the next lead I decided to follow back the electric line to see what was there. I felt another pulse of energy. Using my cell phone I timed that a pulse was generated each hour.
 
At the end of the northern road, I reached a stone fence delimiting an old field. Unfortunately weeds had taken the place of whatever was grown here in the past. The electric line abruptly stopped here also. However, I could see a lake on my right and decided to explore it first.
 
Near the lake I found an entrance to somewhere that was walled solidly. I had no tools to pierce it for now. The water, however, was very pure. The volcano nearby had charged the water with many minerals. A diet on this water would be very good for my health. The water was so inviting that I decided to take a bath as well.
 
I stripped down and savoured the rare sensation to swim in the nude. I noted a small current in the lake in the direction of the shore of the volcano. There was probably an underwater siphon but I wasn't eager to search it.
 
It was as I went back to the fence that I remarked the red leaves of a tree. Yes, I wasn't mistaken, it was a maple tree. Unfortunately I didn't have any recipient to take some syrup. In fact, I needed waterproof and fireproof recipients if I wanted to ameliorate my comfort.
 
To the right of the fence I distinguished a building. I blinked when I saw that it was a windmill. An authentic-looking ancient windmill. It was strange. On one part we had the sign of the so-called modern civilization with electricity and now I could see the old world with its mastery of natural power sources. Unfortunately, I couldn't reach the building by this road. There was a brick stairway over a sharp small cliff, but it was crumbled.
 
Speaking of brick, I found an old mould to make some. Now if I could find some clay…
 
I returned to the fence entrance, gathering some pines on the ground and admiring some exotic birds flying without fear of me.
 
I stopped as I entered the fence. A piercing scream sounded around. Somewhere nearby something or someone was torturing an animal. A monkey if I heard correctly. I narrowed my eyes and equipped myself with my knife. I don't like animal abusers.
 
I was so tensed that I was frightened by a scarecrow hanging on a tree. I laughed and decided to salvage the rags used to make it. They were dirty, but I could always wash them at the nearby lake.
 
I quickly found the reason for a scarecrow. There were some fruit trees nearby. Giggling, I gathered some oranges and lemons: An excellent source of vitamins.
 
I screamed more in fright than pain when a projectile hit me in the back. A group of monkeys was throwing stones at me. They were sneaky since they were using a ruined building both as a source of ammo and a fortress for them. Impossible to reach them from here without being stoned. I needed something to neutralize them.
 
Grumbling, I retreated for now and took the small path in the fruit garden to see what I could find. Wow! Another botanist dream. Quickly I gathered many plants. Among them some various bamboo, willow bark and wicker.
 
The wood reminded me of something. I grinned and quickly ran back to the alcove near the beach. Using the fire and a bamboo to blow more air on the flame, I managed to crudely bake the clay bricks. I had now the means to repair the stairs near the windmill.
 
Using the bricks I climbed up to the building and grinned: I had flanked the position where those nasty monkeys were hiding. I could take them now, but first, I decided to explore the windmill.
 
Bingo! There were many items that should be useful for later: an old broken metal fork, an intact one in wood, some strong fabric, grapes of raisin and a little chest full of copper pieces. Too bad that I wasn't in a medieval fantasy setting.
 
The windmill itself was less interesting. It would require some serious reparations if I wanted to make it functional. Oh well, I didn't need a windmill for now.
 
It was when I exited the windmill that I re-enacted an old gag. I walked on a tool hidden in the grass and its handle hit me on the head. I grumbled as I examined it. Well, trade a little pain for something very useful: It was a steel pick. I smiled as this tool could easily double as a more useful weapon than everything I had so far.
 
In fact…
 
I grinned as I charged the position held by the monkeys with my new weapon in hand and screaming a war cry. It worked perfectly: Taken by surprise, the monkeys fled without a fight.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------