Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Return to the Lost Island ❯ where i found a faithful companion ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

RETURN TO THE LOST ISLAND
 
Disclaimer: I own nothing except Iridia Sunheart.
 
Notes: Just another writer's block. A little adventure of my feminine avatar in what I called survival mode. Inspired by Jules Verne, one video-game and various books about marooned characters trying to survive with their wits.
 
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
Where I found a faithful companion…
 
I finally found the source of the tearful cries from before. It was an adorable little monkey that was wounded and was hiding in the corner of a ruined building.
 
I gently approached him and managed to calm it after some time and effort. I liked animals and decided to heal him. I used a cleaned rag as a crude bandage for his wound on his skull. Poor fellow, he probably had been bullied by the last group of monkeys.
 
I named him “Goku” as he reminded me of the Chinese legend of the King of Monkeys. I could read a high animal intelligence in his eyes. But to properly heal him, I needed others supplies. Lady luck was with me when I saw that this ruined building served to fabricate pottery. There was even a wheel and a broken oven just for that.
 
I managed to repair the oven, make a fire with my lens and tried to make a few potteries with the wheel. They wouldn't win a prize, but they were serviceable. Now, if only I could repair the bellows near the oven to have the right temperature to bake pottery…
 
I was searching something useful when I remarked a flight of gulls hovering near the beach. Intrigued I went to check and was awarded by the still mostly intact carcass of a seal. It was a messy job, but I salvage some grease, an intact skin and some tendons.
 
Using the sealskin and some sap, I repair the bellows. I cackled as I managed to produce some much needed recipients that were waterproof and fireproof.
 
Using my new recipients, I gathered some water and gave it to the thirsty Goku. After that, he seemed able to eat something and I gave him some of my fruits. He liked the oranges, pines and grapes of raisin, but the lemons seemed too bitter for him.
 
That was hardly a surprise since the citric acid in them was quite…
 
CITRIC ACID! EUREKA!
 
I danced within the building, crying and laughing. Goku seemed a little flabbergasted by my attitude, but I didn't care. I finally found a way to recharge my cell phone.
 
But since the night was falling, I decided to wait tomorrow. Beside, Goku seemed perfectly willing to sleep with me near the fire. I must admit that a living presence, even an animal one was good for my moral. I used my coconut rope and some straws to make our bed and promptly fall asleep.
 
During the night, I dreamt that a spirit visited me. He was the ghost of a tall grey-bearded man clothed as a navy captain of the old. His voice reached my consciousness.
 
“I am the Captain Nemo. I haunted this island without rest. Find my mortal remains, Guardian Iridia Sunheart, and give them a proper burial.”
 
I woke up as the rays of the Sun touched my eyes. It hadn't been an ordinary dream. My Sixth Sense made me receptive to the whispers from Beyond. It had been really the ghost of the supposed fictive famous captain of the Nautilus. Now I knew why the presence of a Guardian of Dimensions was necessary on this island.
 
I nodded to myself and to the shade of the great man. I will follow his will and give him his eternal rest.
 
But first, I had an energy cell to recharge. Pure insanity, some would tell me, since I didn't have access to any modern facility. That was correct, but I have all the elements to make a crude Volta pile: lemon, rags, copper, silver and a bamboo container.
 
Using this makeshift battery, I managed to recharge my cell phone and quickly used the GPS. My position was West 150° 30' and South 34° 57'. However, there was nothing but water at this coordinates according to the GPS. I frowned. My position was near many commercial waterways. If this island was not on any maps, then it was hidden by some means.
 
The news I received stated that I was among the victims of the crash and presumed lost in the sea. I winced: My loved ones must be out of their mind. I tried to call my family on the phone but was disagreeably surprised that while I could receive exterior communications, I couldn't emit. My eyes narrowed. The energy field around the isle: That must be it. Now I had to explore the island more to hold my promise to the Captain Nemo and to find the generator of this cloaking field.
 
And since it could take several days or even weeks, I decided to make more reparations to the structures left by my predecessors. One girl needed her little comfort, right?
 
I went to the windmill to start the reparations. First, I used Goku to discuss with his fellows monkeys living on the structure. Using him and some fruits, we managed to make them go so that the wings were no longer hindered. I used the bolt of strong fabric to repair the damaged surfaces of the wings and Goku climbed up in the structure with the grease seal to lubricate the pieces.
 
Finally, after a long time, the windmill functioned anew and I could produce flour with the wheat from the abandoned fields.
 
I then used the oven to bake all my perishable supplies into some more manageable forms like cakes, pastries and others preparations. Although my sub-space pocket was infinite, I early found out that it didn't preserve completely from the effects of time. However, it could preserve temperature and I used the hot water source to prepare medicinal potions from my medicinal herbs and willow bark.
 
Now I remembered the broken bridge near the lake. I gave my knife to Goku and guided him to cut some long lianas. Using them, I constructed some lengths of Rope Bridge.
 
With the precious help of Goku and some acrobatics, I repaired the rope bridge. Unfortunately, it wasn't the only obstacle.
 
A big monkey seemed to have made this area his territory and threatened us with a bludgeon. I could have easily killed him with my weapons, but this could have make Goku wary of me. I managed to buy the right of passage by using one of my cakes as a bribe.
 
Well, nothing of interest in relation for the will of the Captain Nemo, nor any traces of a generator. Even the electric line finished in some volcanic formation, apparently recent. I sighed. This volcano seemed to have some activity.
 
However, I found quite the treasure for a chemist. There were many depots of various chemical substances. I gathered some iron sulphate, sulphur, coal and potash (KOH). Those substances should be useful in the future.
 
Speaking of substances, I finally remembered what one could do with algae. By consuming it, I could produce some soda (Na2 CO3), another useful substance. I combined some grease with it and obtain some soap and glycerine.
 
That enabled me to give a proper bath to Goku. Poor little one, he didn't really like it and I swore he was pouting when I finished with him. Still giggling from his antics, I washed myself completely with pleasure and cleaned my clothes. While waiting for the sun to dry my body and my clothes, I pondered on what I will do next.
 
After some reflection, I decided to concentrate on the cave hidden in the cliff. After all, it was where I saw first the ghost of the Captain Nemo.
 
Once again, Goku was primordial to the task. Without him, I couldn't have used my last lengths of Rope Bridge to make a ladder to the cave.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------