Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Scarlett ❯ Scarlett Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
The night was peaceful. The entire town was dark with all it’s residents asleep in their beds. A soft wind swept through the streets, bringing with it a sweet scent of flowers from a nearby meadow. The light from a full moon shone brightly overhead, lighting the cobblestone roads with a soft white glow. It is only once in a great while that such peace is granted to the world, but not tonight. Tonight, this peace has been granted to this one town for one reason and one reason only…

A blood chilling howl shot through the night, waking all the citizens of the town. The men were quick to arm themselves with pitchforks, torches and bats with nails perturbing from the end, gathering in a large group, ready to take on the offenders. Mothers were quick to wake either children, throw coats on them and hurry their young out of the house, following the route that led to the large barn built for this occasion. But the offenders were smarter than that. They split into groups, one group made their way toward the group of men while the other group followed the women and children.

“Leave no survivors, take whatever you find valuable.” The orders were simple and this plan carefully coordinated. Now the first group stood before the men, heads lowers, growls rumbling in their throats as their claws scratched at the stones below them. The signal to strike was perfect. A sheik of pain came from the area where the barn was located, all the men looking to the left, in fear that it was their wife or child that was taken down. In the split second that the men’s eyes had adverted, the offenders struck. The front of their group was taken out with ease, but once the men realized the battle had begun, they split up, as did the offenders. Chasing down and mutilating their victims was easy, the hard part was trying to keep the ones with the torches away from haystacks and wooden houses.

One of the younger looking attackers wasn’t quite thinking straight, this being his first raid. He wanted to impress his father, the leader, greatly by being the one with the most blood on his claws. He chased a man with a torch toward a field behind a row of houses. The man threw his torch at the headstrong offender before continuing to run. The second it took him to turn and toss the flaming stick at the one chasing him slowed him down just enough to be brought down savagely.

The fire began to devour the dry grass, spreading quickly from the field, to the houses then the barns. It wasn’t long before the entire town was ablaze. The pack leader let out a loud howl, to call his troops back. The young attacker looked up from his kill and noticed what he had done. Without hesitation, he rushed to the edge of the town. There was much arguing and growls before a hustling in the brush disrupted the group. The leader looked at his fastest runners, nodding to the brush.

The three of the runners slowly crept to the brush. A woman was standing still as stone, scared solid. The three growled and grinned, ready to attack. Through the forest the girl ran, faster than she had ever ran before, her heart throbbing in her ears. The barks were close behind her but it didn’t take long for them to die down and now she was lost. The runners had stopped not long after they started. The leader didn’t find it important to kill a woman that ran into the forest alone. “The wild life in there will finish her off… Now, who torched the town!?“ the leader shouted, now in the form of a human.

But the woman dare not stop running, for fear the lycans were still around. Her head turned back slightly to see if anyone was there but she saw no one. She stopped and stared into the gathering of trees. Suddenly, the ground under her gave way, the next thing she felt was a ice cold all around her body.

The river current was swift, dragging her further and further. Her hands waved as she tried to scream but nothing came out, her voice trapped in her throat. Her hand caught a hold of something, a tree branch. But her hand was slipping, her head going under water. "This is it," she thought, as her energy fading.

Suddenly, she felt a hand grab hers, pulling her out of the water, before everything went black. She awoke to the feeling of air being forced into her, water spurting from her mouth. Her eyes opened to see a man. The girl let out a scream as she scrambled to her feet. "Now is that the way to thank the person that just saved you life?" he grinned to her. The man was very handsome, tall, strong... But those eyes... The eyes of a "LYCAN!" the girl screamed, stepping back, almost falling into the water again but the lycan's arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her close to him "At your service,"