Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Scrolls ❯ Chapter II : The Acsension ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Chapter III : The Revelation


I took one final glance back towards Lutos before I entered into the unknown. Luckily I had fairly tough skin on my feet from all the hard work at the farm, my toes clung to the cold slippery rocks, algae squeezed between the gaps and gave little comfort as I trod carefully onto dry land. I had to catch my breath so I stopped for a short while and collapsed on a patch of grass just before an opening into the mass of trees. I smoothed back my wet hair and shook off the excess water from my hand. 'Man... It’s night already' I panted. I don't fancy swimming all the way in total darkness, but... I'd rather get back home than stay here alone on this Island. I better get a move on and try find that damn statue, I don't want to worry everyone, I said I'd be back in no time. Slim chance of that by the looks of things.
I stood up and made my way into the woods, my arms and legs felt like jelly. I'm lucky the moon is so bright tonight or I wouldn't be able to see a thing, but my eyes soon adjusted and I stepped precariously whilst holding onto the trunks of the tall thick trees. It was deadly silent; the only sound was made by the rustling of the dried out leaves in my path, but when I stopped moving. Nothing.... not even a night hawks call. It was eerie, I was cold and alone. My senses heightened as I walked deeper, I had no idea what may lay ahead or what dangers I might come across. What was the elder talking about? Perils... I seem to be alone here... or at least I hope I am. I took a deep breath and continued walking in a straight line, trying to reach the middle of the Island, that’s where I was told the statue was. Lets hope it is... it better be.
While trekking through the silent wilderness I came across a mound of rocks and dirt twice my height. I pulled myself up digging my fingers into the root filled soil, my knees scraped on the rough stone as I dragged my body over the top. I wonder how far it is to go.. And how am I meant to find it in the middle of nowhere? There should be signposts or some clues at least, and every male adult has to do this? Come to think of it... Since I can remember I haven't witnessed anyone go through this ordeal. All the men back at the Village completed it before I was born, or before I was too old to realise, and all the other guys my age left the Village years ago... That just leaves Leone, but he's a year younger than me so hasn't done it yet. I can hardly imagine his puny ass going through this anyway. Now that I would like to see.
I began to walk again for what seemed like ages, but I was moving pretty slow because of the lack of light, and lack of knowing where I was even going. As I moved nervously I felt something was wrong... My eyes widened as the silence around me seemed to draw closer, I sensed a presence. I felt a cold wind breathe down the back of my neck, it sent shivers through me, I turned around startled, it was too direct to be a gust of wind, and in the middle of so many trees?... no way... what, was that just now?... My imagination?... it must have been my mind playing tricks on me because of where I am. Maybe... the Island is an old burial ground?!? NO!! Shut up Tone! Stop freaking yourself out. I must carry on going, okay... clear your head... now walk.
I continued on in the same direction, praying to come across my target or something other than endless trees. The last thing I wanted was to get lost or be here all night searching. Shelle had no idea it would be like this, she thought I'd be back before it got dark, she must be so worried... I wish she was here with me now.. We always made a great team. Why am I so scared?
'Toneal...' A low raspy voice whispered from behind me. 'Whoa!' I jumped and turned around only to be faced with complete darkness. My heart started racing and my hands began to shake. What, was that??
'Who's there!?' I shouted. There was no answer... it was the same voice from... the lake.
A cold breath of air cut sharply down my neck again, my body filled with Goosebumps and the hair on the back of my arms and neck stood on end. I began to panic and ran as fast as I could, my feet were cut but I didn't care, I just needed to get there I was going, and fast.
I rushed through the dense woodland, weaving in and out of trees and jumping over fallen branches and shrubs, I could see an opening! Finally! I headed towards it. I needed to get out of this enclosed space; I needed to see the clear sky. The only comfort I had on this desolate Island were thoughts of home, and yet it seemed to far away.
As I broke through into the clearance I stopped dead in my tracks. There it was... The statue. I could see it... in the shape of an Angel... It was beautiful. I suddenly felt a strange feeling come over me from the bottom of my stomach, as I slowly tip toed closer towards it. I was in the middle of a grassy meadow surrounded by the woods, at the very centre the Angel stood, illuminated by the moons glow; I couldn't take my eyes off it. It held out a cup in its hands like an offering towards me. I was drawn in, mesmerized. But what was this feeling? I’ve felt it before... The mirror in my room, was it then?.. No. It was different, overwhelming, uncomfortable; I fell to my knees, what the hell was happening to me?
'Toneal!.... Stand!.... Take, the needle!' The voice echoed all around me, I clenched my fists and climbed to my feet.
'Who are you!!? What do you want with me?!!' I shouted angrily.
'Take, the needle.... and return... all, will be revealed..... I'll be waiting.... for you...' The voice faded away like it was swallowed by the wind.
I looked around nervously and edged slowly towards the Angel, its eyes were closed and it wore a sad expression on its childlike face which made me feel uncomfortable about taking the only thing it had. One needle?... There was only one left. I reached out cautiously and took the sharp, thin stone item from the cup in which the statue was holding. I unbuttoned the leather pouch I had strapped to my chest and carefully placed it inside. Alright, I'm done here, now to get back.
I felt no abnormal presence anymore, whoever, or whatever was here... they had gone. My pulse had slowed and I just wanted to get back home. I felt somewhat uneasy about the whole event... 'All will be revealed?' I have to find out who that was, and what is happening.
I bowed my head to the statue. 'Thank you, I'll return your special needle someday... I promise.'
I turned around to head back the way I came, only to be confronted by yet another turn of events. 'What?... the trees... have, parted?...' I stumbled backwards in shock, a clear pathway was now visible through the woodland, it was like a giant knife had cut into the ground. I swear that wasn't there before... But I wasn't going to complain, me and trees are DONE for today, I'd had my fill.
Wow, I really can't wait to tell everyone all about this; they're never going to believe me. It's going to be so late when I get back, everyone will probably be in bed, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shelle was waiting up for me, she's like that. Always worrying. I didn't think I'd miss her so much, but I do.
As I made my way through the new pathway I noticed rain clouds were approaching from the South. 'Great! That’s all I need! Aren't I gonna be wet enough soon?!!' I shouted at the sky. I thought about my nice warm cosy bed and I couldn't wait to just collapse in it and sleep all day, but I suppose I can't do that right away. I sill have to finish the silly ritual and get the tattoo inked on my wrist. I didn't mind too much though, that seemed like the easy part, and gathering from tonight so far, it appears I would be right. But there was one thing I still didn't understand. The Elder had no idea I'd come across what I did... The spooky voice and the parting of the trees, they somewhat seemed unconnected to my task... and he still spoke of dangers, yet I haven't ran into any trouble at all. 'Ha! The fool! He was probably trying to scare me. Well old man, it bloody worked!'
Just as I shouted out I heard a shuffling from behind me. 'Grooowl!!'
I turned my head quickly, only to be faced with the most feared beast in these parts. A Lutis wolf!! 'Holy crap...' I whispered to myself. I spoke too soon, he wasn't lying at all. What now?? I guess being out in the open and talking to myself wasn't such a great thing to do...
The wolf snarled and its short blue fur rose to attention across its muscular back. Its glowing white teeth and fangs were bared and its piercing yellow eyes struck fear right through me. I couldn't flee, there was no way I could outrun it! I had no weapon either... If only I had brought Gadoes sword, but I couldn't swim all that way with a heavy blade...
Wait a second... the stone needle.. Could I use it as a dagger? It was small but it was my only choice, I had nothing else.
I slowly reached to my chest and got out the sharp instrument from my pouch, being careful not to make any sudden movements that might trigger an attack. My eyes never left the Lutis wolfs glare, he was ready to pounce at any second. My trembling feet were firmly placed one behind the other, the needle grasped in my right palm. Would I survive? Was this the end of the line? I can't die here!
A bead of sweat ran down my face as I anticipated its movements.
Now! The wolf ran towards me and jumped; claws sheathed and mouth open it lunged at my throat! I sidestepped quickly and thrust the makeshift dagger deep into its chest. In a flash of blue light the wolf crumbled and disintegrated into nothing but a heap of ash on the floor.
My mouth fell open and my knees went weak... What, in the world??
I paused for a while trying to come to terms with what just happened. No blood? No body?....no.... nothing...
I looked at the unscathed weapon in my hand, I didn't understand what was going on but I had a feeling that the wolf was not the only one in the vicinity. I quickly got a grip of the situation and dashed down the pathway and headed for the coast. As I ran still clenching the stone needle firmly in my hand the rain clouds above opened up and an explosion of thunder rumbled as lightning lit up the sky. It began to pour it down like I’ve never seen before. My feet stuck in the mud as the ground became increasingly wet, I stumbled and fell over only to bare witness to an angry pack of Lutis wolfs heading out of the trees to the side of me. I clambered to my feet, caked in mud, and ran as fast as the fierce storm would let me. As the wolfs gained ground behind, I could see the rocky shore ahead, I had to make it the water, the wolfs couldn’t get me there. I looked behind as I fled for my life, Three? No! Four larger hounds were giving chase; mouths open and tongues hanging they dashed through the rain after me like they hadn't eaten in weeks. I didn't intend to be their supper, I was determined to make it back home, I had to!
The wolfs limber legs made it easier for them to maneuver through the terrain in the torrential downpour, I could smell their hot rank breath right behind me as I pushed my body to its maximum. I leaped onto the rocky shore as the wolfs snapped at my ankles, grazing their fangs against my wet, bloody skin. 'You're not gonna get me!!' I yelled as I dived from the peak of a large rock into the lake. The wolfs all skidded and ground to a halt and began to howl and bark ferociously at the edge of the water as I swam away.
Yeah those wolfs were damn lucky I'm such a nice guy or I'd have taken them all on!..... Yeah right.
I floated in the water trying to catch my breath for a second as the heavy rain hit the lake making huge splashes like in a giant puddle. I spotted a drifting log and swam to it, choking on the water as the strong wind caused waves to crash over me; I hung onto the driftwood for dear life, wishing the storm away.
What a task this had been, and I still had to get back. At that moment I felt too weak to swim all the way home, or at all for that matter. I needed to rest, but the Island was now too dangerous to set foot on with the wolfs waiting to rip me to shreds, and if I stayed in the water much longer I would either drown or freeze to death... What could I do? Think Tone, what can you do?... I clung to the log for what seemed like hours in the stormy lake. Eventually, I began to feel my vision fade to black, I became dizzy and disoriented, I couldn't feel my body anymore.... no.... somebody..... help..... me.... somebody... please.....I don't want to die.... Shelle... Brother..... Mum....
As the rain beat down time stood still, all was calm, all was dark, all was silent.

'Toneal... Awaken!... The time has come. Make haste.... You must not let them get her.... you must not let them use the key!.... TONEAL!!'

My eyes opened and in an instant all my senses had returned. Where was I? I looked around, only to realise I was underwater. I quickly swam to towards the surface holding my breath, my blurry vision allowed me to barely see the moonlight refracting through the ripples. Why aren't I dead? Did I just dream that voice? I must get back, I must!
As I broke through the waters surface I took in a huge gasp of air and looked around me frantically. The storm had subsided, it was calm again. I looked to my left and right, hang on.... Where is this? This isn't the lake... I looked behind me and saw the coast, but it looked different than before. What town is that? Confused I began to swim towards it, I must have drifted while I was unconscious... but, how can you drift from a lake?... How am I... Never mind, right now I just wanted to feel solid ground, I'd figure out the rest later.
I began swimming towards the dimly lit town on the coast, but I somehow felt no exhaustion, like I'd had a full nights sleep, and as I continued to swim, I didn't grow tired, my arms and legs didn't begin to ache, my heart didn't quicken, nor did my breath. What was going on now? I don't understand all these bizarre events suddenly happening to me. Why me? All I want is to be back home and continue my life, it's my Birthday I should be having fun!
Yes I wanted adventure but I'd rather know where I'm going first!
'So be it!' The same voice echoed around my head.
'You again!!' I exclaimed. 'Tell me who you are and tell me what is going on! Where am I? Why didn't I drown? Please explain!!!'
'Very well.... come.... I will show you.'
echoed the deep voice.
Within a flash of blinding light I was somehow transported into the middle of a bustling outdoor marketplace, I looked around in complete shock, realising I was still half naked I ran and hid behind a wall in a backstreet alleyway. I peered out at the busy shoppers and traders, they seemed to be in a big rush and appeared anxious, buying all they could like there was no more to come. Where was I? The two bright suns were beaming high in the sky; I'd never felt them be so hot before. The ground was dusted with a light layer of sand and the whole place just felt really foreign... I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.
I decided to eavesdrop on a crowd of people that just arrived from the West. They were stood not too far away from me and could hear them talking. 'Hey! What’s with the mad rush?' Asked a heavily dressed man to a fruit vendor. 'Didn't you hear?!! Emperor Travain and his army have just stormed Rawel and acquired the Scroll of Humanity! That’s the most neutral country in the world he truly has no heart! People fear he will invade our sweet Sundara next, everyone’s in a panic and buying all they can and locking themselves away! I suggest you do the same sir!'
What? Emperor Travain?... but, didn't he die in the Great War before I was born?... And he DID conquer Sundara and ALSO took their scroll... The Scroll of Spirit... What am I doing here? What is this?
A blinding flash flared out as before, when it faded I had moved again! I stood on what appeared to be a stone castle wall, it was windy and cold. I looked around myself, in the distance vast valleys and huge mountains seemed to go on forever, I was up high, very high.
So where am I now? A castle? I heard distant talking from behind me, there was a window. I curiously poked my head around the corner and looked inside. It was a highly decorated room filled with people... Who are they? Below I could see a crowned man sat on a throne, guards stood beside him and men and women dressed in black and purple cloaks stood in front. An old man wearing a brown cloak rushed in. 'Sire! Travains troops are advancing up Mount Lockclear towards the castle! They come in thousands you Majesty!'
The King stood up and raised his armor clad arm. 'Protect the Scroll at all costs! Travain must not get a hold of the fourth scroll!'
'But King Laktong, we simply don't have the manpower, most of our Knights and Sorcerers have already fallen! He is too strong!'
The old man then bowed his head 'Your Majesty... we are doomed.'
I came out from the window with a puzzled look on my face and scratched my head. This must be, Castle Windain?.... I'm in Windain now? But these events have already happened... Travain DOES get the Scroll of... um.. Ages, I learned this in School and from Gadoe... I used to listen to his stories of the Great War all the time... But why am I being shown this? What relevance does it have to anything??
How did it go now... oh yes, Emperor Travain Hoult of Talgaia, holder of the Scroll of Prosperity. He became overwhelmed by greed... he sent his forces to invade Rawel, the peaceful Islands holding the Scroll of Humanity, next he conquered Sundara, then Windain, and then he set his sights on Falore, my home country. But the final scroll vanished and he was killed by his own men, apparently... that’s what the stories say... Then the other scrolls were returned, nobody had anything left to fight for so the war ended... I think...
'Wrong!' The mysterious voice bellowed out and in an instant and another flash of white light I was transported again.
'Your Highness! This way please! Preparations are complete!' I heard a distant voice from the other side of a door.
I was in a dimly lit room; it appeared to be some kind of shrine. It was circular with tall pillars all around the edge. In the centre a podium holding... wait... is that, a scroll? This must be...
Just then a man burst in followed by 4 other robed figures and a woman dressed in very regal attire. I hid behind a pillar though I didn't expect they could see me anyway, I don't think I'm really here, but I don't want to risk it just incase.
'Queen Irise, we have no time to spare, Travains forces are advancing as we speak, we simply cannot allow the Scroll of Creation to fall into his clutches, it is written that with the power of all 5 Scrolls of Judgment he shall become but a God! The ability to create and destroy at will! We have only one option left your Highness!'
The Queen nodded. 'I Understand. The people of Falore must not fall to the feet of one such as Travain. And for that, I am willing to sacrifice my royal blood to save my people. You have spent many years decrypting the scrolls texts, thank you for all you have done, Gadoe.'
What!!? Gadoe? What's he doing here!?
'My Queen, in order to lock away the scrolls power you are aware that one must be born of the scroll, through transmutation of royal blood. The scriptures of creation are clear that is the only defense we have against Travain obtaining its power!'
Queen Irise smiled and spoke softly. 'Gadoe, my darling, I never had the chance to have a child of my own. If by my death I am reborn again, then at least I gave life to another in some way. I must fulfill my duty to the people of Falore, and the people of the world. We must stop Travain at all costs. I ask one thing of my closest companions, when I am gone, and all this is over, please find the child, stay close, and always protect it.'
The other four cloaked figures nodded along with Gadoe. 'Of course your Highness' they said simultaneously.
'One day the child will be found and sought after by those with hearts filled with selfishness and greed, that child will hold unimaginable power... if it was to..'
'My Lady! Let us proceed, time is scarce!'
Interrupted Gadoe.
I had a very strange feeling about all this, I had no idea this is what happened to the scroll, the Queen, and why Travain failed to gain all 5 for himself. But... this child that will be born... could it be?... no.... Shelle?
A flash of light took me away again. I appeared in total darkness but I could see myself clear as day. There was no light, yet I was fully visible. All around me was black, I knelt down to touch the ground, my hand sank right through. In shock and confusion I tried to feel what I was actually stood on, only to touch the soles of my feet, it was if I was floating.
'Where am I?? Answer me!!! I'm tired of your games!!!'
I felt a great pressure against my body like I was traveling at an incredible velocity, but there was no wind. A tall dark figure began to emerge in front of me cloaked in grey from head to toe, a shroud covered his face and all I could see where the whites of his eyes and the pale skin around them.
'Silence!... We don't have long, so listen carefully to what I have to say.'
That voice! It was definitely the man who has been talking to me all this time. I had so many questions but I just listened in hope that things would be made clearer.
'Toneal Faw, I am the Keeper of the Scrolls. The Gods bestowed upon me the power of time, I am endless, but the world in which you live is not! The place where you stand is indeed, the end of time, the place where I dwell for all eternity, and as you can see, nothing exists here but me. I have lived longer than you could possibly fathom, but I grow tired. As you saw in the visions in which I showed you, in times past the fight for the Scrolls rocked the world for generations, and in your time, they are about to awaken once more.
Your fate is entwined with the one born of creation, forces are already at work to revive the Scrolls of Judgment, the one named Shelle, is the key to unlocking the fifth, thus unleashing unseen power upon us all, and resulting, in what you see before you now.
She is unknowing, and venerable, you must fight to protect her, you must never let her fall into the hands of evil. Do you understand?'
I leaped forward and threw my arms in the air. 'WHAT?! That’s crazy! How am I supposed to do anything and why me? I'm just a farmer I don't have any special skills! I'm too weak to do anything! What about Gadoe and the others from the past? Wasn't it their duty to protect her?'
'All shall be revealed, in time...'
Answered the mysterious figure.
'Yeah so you keep saying! Aren't you immortal? Can’t you just go and change things and make everything alright or something?'
'Toneal..... listen.... Every child is born with a destiny; the path they take can only be controlled by that single entity. Your fate is not set in stone, your life is made from the threads of time, choose to weave the events how you desire. If you wish to become strong, then become strong. If you wish to succeed, then you must never give up hope. Do you understand?'
I paused for a second then replied calmly. 'You speak in riddles old man, but yes, I guess I do understand. I'm still not sure of all you ask, or what is going to happen from now, but I do know that Shelle is very important to me, and if she really is the key to the destruction of the world, then I'll do everything I can to stop her being used in that way...'
I sighed and looked to the ground. Thoughts ran through my head, this was all too much, I couldn't come to terms with it right away. I now know where Shelle came from, and I knew that if somebody wanted the power of the scrolls, they would come for her... I couldn't bare the thought... I had to look after her... somehow, I had to...
I looked up at the robed figure and nodded. 'Okay... so what now?'
'We shall meet again, Toneal..... The ebb and flow of time is disrupted, you must be returned.... I have shown you all I can for now... Heed my words... for the sake of humanity.... master your destiny... Protect the girl...'
With those last words everything began to fade, I could see nothing and feel nothing, it was if I were asleep, was I? Am I just dreaming all this? If so... I must wake up... But it's so comfortable... so... Comfortable...

Shelle...


To be continued...