Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Shattered Illusions ❯ Blood Soaked and Honor Bound ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXxXx

Shattered Illusions

Chapter 28: Blood Soaked and Honor Bound

By: Revamp

XxXxXxXxXx

“So, you failed again…” Hide looked down upon the Black Knight with eyes of disappointment as the female vampire knelt before his throne. His elevation only added to his overall regal appearance. It gave the effect of feeling small by anyone who sat below him.

Estella refused to look up; she could feel his cruel eyes showering her with daggers. Each one digging savagely into her skin and tearing her muscle with each inch. “I'm sorry, sir. I had some complications. You see, his donors-“

She was cut off by his cruel words. “Silence,” Hide commanded, resting his cheek in his hand. “I grow weary of hearing excuses. You're supposed to be the best there is, so why have you failed every mission you were give thus far? You're a top ranking Black Knight. If you continue to fail, I'll strip you of your position. I only want the best for my forces and failure will not be tolerated. The weak get knocked over easily and I cannot afford any more casualties.”

Hizaki was more helpful to his cause. Not to mention, he was growing irritated with Estella's promises of capturing the vampire. It was essential that Copernicus be apprehended. The longer he was allowed to exist freely among the humans the more dangerous he became. For Hizaki, this was a dangerous game, far too dangerous for his liking.

“Yes, sir, please, just give me one more chance. I know I can win this. I'll get Copernicus and bring him to you myself,” Estella looked up to the great vampire before her, `and I'll kill Prince Yale before anyone can find out my secret. This is not going as planned.' It was all a race of time and more than anything, she couldn't let Hide find out that Yale had not died all those years ago. If he were to ever find out, then she was a dead woman.

xXxXx

Tsubomi flipped through the diary, her eyes searching desperately for something. Within the pages of the book, she longed to find any sort of information about her. Coscatta hated her, so she must have written about it in her diary. Coscatta must have planned to do something to Tsubomi, and she wanted to know exactly what she had in mind. “If she wrote in here until the day she died, then she probably wrote about me. I wonder what she said.” Flipping another page, the tom boy spotted her name. “Well, my name is in here anyway.”

She began to read the excerpt.

It's been two days since I left home. It's odd to see my master's house. It's clean and white, like a movie mansion. I've never been here before so it's all a new experience to me. I wonder if he still goes to the strip club like he did when Virgil and he first became intimate.

He lives with other people. They aren't the kind of company I imagined him with. One is a weird, American girl named Millie, and some Japanese boy who calls himself Tsubomi. Weird name for a guy. I don't really like him to be honest. He's really effeminate and he reminds me of Virgil. When he talks, he sounds like either gender. I know that Tsubomi is just the kind of guy my master likes, and I wonder if they've done anything. He probably picked him up at the strip club…or on a street corner, knowing my luck he's some prostitute.

Tsubomi's eyebrow twitched as she seethed with anger. Rage lit up her features and she spoke through grinding teeth. “I'm a what?”

She was cut off by Copernicus laying his head on top of hers. The vampire was fast asleep. Uttering his name, she continued to flip through the pages of the blood-splattered diary, and then stopped at another page of scribbles.

I hate Tsubomi. I hate him. I was right, he's just like Virgil. He and my master have been intimate. I know it…and they walk around, acting like nothing goes on. They are both so casual…it's sickening.

She flipped the page.

I found out something today, and I think it's kind of funny. There's something with this Tsubomi `guy'. I'm not even sure he's a guy. He might be a cross dresser or something else. I saw him change once and I could have sworn he was wearing a black lace bra and panties.

The tom boy's eyes widened and she felt her heart skip a beat.

“What?”

Then again, if they were intimate then he'd already know. So, he's probably just a cross dresser. That's worse than Virgil. Man, I've got to find a way to get rid of this guy. What a freak!

Tsubomi slammed the book shut. “I can already see where this is going. It's the same situation, really.” She reached up and stroked her lover's face softly. “Poor guy…” Reaching up, she wiped the stubborn tears that clung to his eyes. “I know you really loved him and it must be so hard for you. Sorry I'm a dumbass, love.”

xXxXx

Millie and Yale walked along the concrete streets, which were strangely desolate. Each one of them was not speaking as they encountered a beautiful statue that was comprised of concrete. The two walked around the statue, gazing skyward. The American walked slowly with her hands behind her back and turned to stare at the gushing water that poured from the turned bucket on the fountain. “Man, it's so beautiful.”

`I feel bad for Copernicus. That's the first time I've ever seen him lose his composure that badly.' Yale replied as he stood beside of the girl, admiring the beautiful maiden who held the bucket. It took a lot for Copernicus to spiral down like that, and it was a sad sight to see.

“It's the first time I've seen him cry…and Coscatta…” Millie's voice dropped a few octaves as the memories flooded back to her. Copernicus was on his knees as Coscatta's severed body lay on the ground, bathing in a pool of ichor and blood. The tears flooded down his face, just as vivid as the moment she had witnessed them.

`We've bathed in blood too much to regret it now.' Yale turned to the girl and put an arm on her shoulder. He hoped that it would snap her out of her state of dejection.

Millie looked at him, her eyes shining with remnants of sorrow fading away. “I know, but that doesn't mean that I'm still not disturbed by it. It's hard, you know…to get used to this kind of lifestyle.” Until she met Copernicus and Tsubomi, she had never killed anyone with the weapon she carried around for protection. She never had to use the skills she'd acquired to survive. It was like she suddenly was thrown into a war with what skills she had and was being forced to see if she could come out of it alive.

`I've always lived with it, so I cannot say that I feel the same. In order to gain a goal, whether it is personal or not, something must be lost. Besides, Coscatta murdered her brother in cold blood and she nearly killed Tsubomi in the same fashion.' It was far better that they killed the blue-haired girl. She was a threat, and who knew who else she would have eventually killed if no one stopped her.

Millie looked down at the stone below her shoes. “I kind of feel sorry for her…she wanted so desperately to love her master and he just didn't feel the same.”

`It wasn't worth all of this trouble, but Coscatta simply couldn't let go. It drove her mad.'

“So, what do we do now?”

Yale looked at her. `I'm not sure…I don't even know how to live. It's hard to be free when you've lived in captivity so long. How do you think for yourself when you don't remember how?' As much as he thought he had remembered, he didn't. Yale was so dependent on others and he hated it. Everything had changed drastically from the point in time that he had been free before. It was hard to adjust to moving around, going somewhere because you wanted to, eating when you felt like it and performing other daily functions at your own pace. Even being able to go outside and walk around with Millie felt strange.

It was as if he was a little kid, learning how to walk, taking each wobbly step and growing closer and closer to his destination. Everything was a process.

The girl smiled at him and placed a hand on his shoulder. “I'm sure you can find a way. I know it will be hard, but I'm here for you.”

`Thank you, Millie,' Yale leaned forward and planted a kiss on the girl's lips. It was far too short for her liking, but before she could go in for another round, she was interrupted. `Millie…I…'

A finger was put to his lips. “Don't say anything more. Just let me make you feel better.” Her words were soft and caressed his eardrums, amplifying the sound of her voice.

`You're kind to do this for me. I mean, we don't have a contract.'

Millie frowned when she heard those words; they somehow cut through her like a knife. “We might not and we might not be lovers, but we do have a relationship, I know you can't let yourself be close to anyone because you don't want them to die.” It was hard, but she was willing to try and respect his wishes, no matter how painful it was to her. The school girl was in too deep not to have some form of loyalty to the prince. Despite feeling out of his league, the truth behind everything was that she was the only person he had to turn to and that was her driving force.

`Isn't that painful for you?' Yale was concerned. Doing something like that and sharing a relationship like theirs was cruel.

Millie paused for a moment, as if to snap herself out of her current mind state and remain strong. “No, not if I can do this for you. We're still close, no matter what and I care about you deeply.” That was the truth.

`I care about you as well, more than I can ever express. I'm sorry that I cannot tell you how I feel, but before I die I'll tell you everything.' That was a solemn vow. For now, things would go as they always have, and he would continue to keep under the radar in all aspects. He wasn't going to subject Millie to the type of torture he'd been through. A few days in that cell with him was hell enough for the poor girl. He couldn't do much, but he longed to protect her in any manner that he could.

“You'll live longer than I will, silly,” Millie smiled. Hopefully he'd live longer than she would. She hoped and prayed he wouldn't get killed.

Yale looked half-hearted and furrowed his eyebrows. `I don't think I'll live my entire lifespan.' It was painful to admit, but he felt as though he had to tell her the truth.

“Huh?” The maroon-haired girl's face immediately shot to his. Worry was painted heavily on her visage. “You really think you'll die?”

`Assassination is one of the threats any important figure must be ready for. As prince, I know that there is a very real possibility that I'll die, especially in this scenario. I'm fully prepared for this to happen.' Nothing brought more reality to his situation than being cooped up in that cell for so long. Now that he was out, no doubt Estella wanted to cover the fact that he wasn't executed up by killing him. She could strike at any moment, when he least expects it and since he lived in solitude she could pick him off easily.

It hit her like a sack of bricks. Each day with the prince could very well be her last, and he could very well die when they encountered Estella or even Hide or Hizaki next. Tears formed at the corners of her eyes, and after fighting them back she lost and they rolled down her cheeks. “You're miserable, aren't you? Even with my comfort…”

`Only you can make me feel better. I'm at ease when I'm around you. When it all becomes too much, you're never far behind. Millie, no one comes close to you.' He tried to chide the girl's tears and held her close, wrapping his arms around her as she cried into his chest.

Millie hugged him back, like he would fade away if she let go. “If I could take your pains I would. You always seem so sad.” Sometimes, she felt like it was impossible to cheer him up. Yale must have had so much to worry about. He was hunted, nearly died and still might. It must have been hard to live a life in paranoia, knowing that your freedom isn't exactly free.

Yale's arms wrapped around her tighter. `Millie…I wouldn't want to hurt you with my pain.' That burden was his own to bear. Having someone else bear his torture was unfair and further torture to him.

“You're not a burden to me,” Millie's muffled voice was enough to bring shock to his face. “I know…I know will hurt you but I can't hold it back anymore.” She pulled back from her hug and looked into his eyes with her shimmering, tear stricken sights. It was now or never. She had to tell him while she had the courage to do so. “I won't rush your heart until your strength is found. Anything you want, I'll prove my love until you're sure that I'm the one. I know your broken wings need time to heal but I love you Prince Yale. Please trust me, and I guarantee you'll find a true heart. I want to stand beside you from this point onward. I'll do anything for you. Just ask and it will be my goal.”

No matter what.

No matter if he turned her down, she would stand by her feelings.

`Millie…'

“I love you. I love you so much. I never told you before, because I didn't want to hurt you but I can't. I just can't hold it back anymore. I'm sorry,” tears poured down her face. The school girl had tried to be brave and hold back her tears, and here she was, looking like a blubbering fool in front of royalty.

Just then, she was handed a handkerchief. “Huh?”

Yale closed his eyes and smiled gently. `Oh Millie, I'm sorry that I can't tell you want I feel. I'd be putting you in danger and Copernicus has already done enough to you.'

Wiping her eyes, the girl sniffled a little and looked to him in question. “Copernicus…who exactly is he? You're the prince. You should know. Is he your advisor? A knight? Is he a general? What? Just what is he and why are we guarding him?” She never asked, but the whole situation didn't make sense to her. She knew that he was part of the royal court but she didn't know what part of it he was or what importance he had in all of this.

Yale shook his head. `I can't tell you that. If I told you, I would have to tell you my secrets as well.'

Millie blinked. She could hardly believe what she was hearing. Was he for real? “You too? You have secrets?” Who else was hiding something that she didn't know about?

`I have a couple of them.'

“What? Are you not really a prince?” That would be a shocker.

`No, I'm really a prince. I haven't lied to you about anything.'

“Not saying it doesn't make it better than a lie,” Millie shot. Withholding information was just as bad as lying.

`I'll be exposed if I tell you right now; it's in your best interest not to know. I'll tell you the truth. I swear I will but please, if I tell you before this is over, you must not tell Copernicus or Tsubomi that you know.'

He knew that the school girl wouldn't leave him alone until she had found out something. That was just like Millie, but at the same time he wanted a way that he could do it without the other vampire's knowledge. This would be a good opportunity, but he would only make this one exception.

“I won't. Your secrets are safe with me, your highness,” Millie smiled, before her face quickly turned to a dire expression. Taking out her gun with a `huh' she turned and shot a bullet that was quickly deflected with a familiar whip. The bullet then lodged itself into the statue's face as Yale hit the ground, barely evading it. Pieces of the statue fell into the water with a splash.

“You have good reflexes, Millie Ashford,” Estella complimented the girl.

Millie's eyes narrowed. “What do you want, Estella Nu?”

“To take back my prince of course,” the vampire smiled. This time, there would be no failure. `This is my last chance, so I'd better not screw it up.' She was determined to get Yale back into her clutches - dead or alive. Thrusting her hand out, the black whip spiraled towards the two, extending itself out to strike them.

Millie continued to shoot at the approaching whip, but her bullets were deflected with pings. Letting out a cry, she darted away from the whip as it lashed across the ground, leaving lacerations and flying debris in its wake. Millie barely missed it as she hit the ground.

Yale quickly got up and jumped out of the way before the whip ripped through the once beautiful piece of art, destroying it as water shot out and doused the ground. It sprayed into the air like rainfall as the statue collapsed and the walls gave way.

In a blur of color, Estella appeared behind him. Shock registered on his face was the female vampire's head slowly made its way over his right shoulder. Her whip straightened in front of his face as he stood stock still.

She smirked in satisfaction. “Got you, Prince Yale.”

Just then, a bullet dug itself into her hand, causing her to drop the whip. Estella jolted back and held her wrist, blood seeping out as she scowled and hissed in pain. Purple eyes shot over to the girl, who stood there with a stream of smoke pouring from her fun. “You…”

`Millie…' Yale's body was still in shock. He couldn't will himself to move.

“I won't allow you to hurt him. I am Prince Yale's personal protector, and you will not lay a hand on him.” Her words were bolder than the confidence she felt. The school girl held the pistol out to Estella, threatening to shoot her if she decided to do anything that even looked like she was going to hurt Yale.

Estella smiled slightly and stood erect, slow clapping for her as if she were a mediocre stage act. “Good speech, but can you truly protect him against this!” She yelled the last part of her sentence as she reached forward, causing the whip to dig into the ground. Rumbles were heard as the weapon tore up the ground. It ran beneath the ground for a while before it busted through the earth and splintered off into large, black spikes that ripped the ground up and spread across the surface, shooting through the earth with great force. Millie released an ear piercing scream and Yale looked ahead, seeing the spikes headed towards them.

A serious expression crossed his face.

Millie called out his name and tried to shoot the spikes, but her efforts proved futile. “There are too many! I can't help him!” Her heart sank as the spikes grew closer to the vampire.

Yale slowly brought up a hand and opened it towards the sky. A ring of white energy surged up from the ground and circles around his chest, illuminating the area in white light. He then brought his hands down into a `stop' motion and the white magic quickly shot off, looking as if the ring expanded at high speed. As it did, everything it touched slowly disintegrated in a thunderous booming noise. The entire field was illuminated and high winds swept across the land.

Millie stood in her place, eyes widened as she gasped at the power that the prince had just displayed. She'd never seen anything like it at all. The sharp shooter didn't expect the prince to contain that type of power, especially given the state he looked in when they first met.

Estella was speechless. She stood there, gazing on as her spikes dematerialized into thin air. “What…what was that?”

“Prince Yale…” Millie slowly turned her head to look at the vampire. “You're an…alchemist?”

`Yes, I was so weak before that I couldn't do anything to help myself but now my powers are strong and I can finally stand up for my cause.' He might not have had much of a chance, but it was more than he had before and he intended to go down fighting.

“An alchemist? No way! You can't be!” Estella was floored by this new discovery. This was bad. It meant that Yale was probably just as strong, if not stronger than Hide himself. If he continued to gain his powers back, there would be no way that she could detain him.

The mute vampire's mouth turned up a little in a faint smirk. `You didn't know? The entire royal family knows at least a little alchemy. If not, they have weapons that possess it. Thanks to Hide, and the many inventions that he came up with to allow us to protect ourselves, we've adapted to alchemy.' Honestly, she should have known something like that. He was using a power that Hide gave him to protect himself from her onslaught. It was the perfect payback.

Estella creased her eyebrows and bore her teeth. “Since I've silenced you it makes you more dangerous.” It wasn't the fact that he knew alchemy that made him dangerous; it was the fact that he didn't have a voice to call out his magical spells.

`Correct, most alchemy commands are conjured by words or actions, but mine consist of little movements and are summoned physically.' It was clear to him that he now had the upper hand. Estella was blindsided by his special way of summoning power.

“So, unless I'm psychic, I don't know what you're going to do next,” Estella's eyes narrowed.

Yale nodded. `Correct, I can communicate with you psychically but you can't hack my mind. After all of these years of torturing me, I can finally execute my revenge.' He snapped his fingers and a burst of invisible energy burst through the ground, ripping up everything in sights as debris were up heaved, the stones from the walkway were propelled into the air as if they were merely a child's building block and trees were stripped of their bark and leaves like nothing.

It headed towards Estella, who gasped and coughed up blood as the force of the blast drove into her body. She flew through the air in what seemed like slow motion with widened eyes and blood streaming from her mouth. `Impossible…how…I'm Estella Nu! I'm the leader of the Black Knights! I cannot lose!' Her body crashed to the ground as Yale looked at her with eyes of disappointment. For someone who liked to hold so much power, she certainly was weak.

`You cannot win, Estella Nu. You'll pay for all of the times that I've suffered under your cruel hand.' Yale then moved his left hand to his right side and bent it at the elbow, a pulse shot through the air and the wave brushed over the sadist's body as she pulled herself up on her hand and gasped.

She was thrown back with a piercing scream.

Millie watched in amazement at the prince's sudden strength. She had never seen him fight before, but he made himself out to be so weak. Yale definitely didn't look weak now. `Prince Yale…I would help you but I don't feel like I should.' Her eyes closed. `I feel like this is all your revenge. The things you can't say, the sorrow that lurks in your heart, and the life that was taken from you…to see you fight so valiantly. You weren't a weak prince…You were just a gentle man. I mean, you could be so very kind, but when I see you like this, I see that you have strong leadership ability and you'd defend your people and your honor. You're not a disgrace…You're a good prince…even if you are a little crazy.' She smiled to herself before a battle cry interfered with her placid thoughts. Opening her eyes, her gaze shot straight to Estella Nu. “Huh?”

“Death Ring!”

Millie's eyes widened before she was grabbed in a swift, fluid motion by her prince as the black ring of energy sawed through the ground. She closed her eyes and inhaled his scent deeply as she put a hand on his back. `I feel so safe with you.'

“You won't get away! I will get you back, Prince Yale, and when I do, you'll be sorry that you ever defied Estella Nu!” The female vampire yelled in rage as she summoned a neon green spiral of energy. It rushed through the air, looking like a neon screw as it closed in on the two.

Yale held out his hand as a slanted line of neon green appeared before him. Her Death Spiral hit the piece of energy and shot up into the air and was consumed by a red color.

“What? What's going on? He's somehow controlling my attack…but how? I can't figure him out. What's his trick? Why can't I predict him?” She thought aloud as the spiral of red energy went down, headed straight for her. Horror and shock crossed her face as her form was immersed in red energy.

“No!”

…To Be Continued