Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Shattered Illusions ❯ This is Goodbye! ( Chapter 48 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XxXxXxXxXx

Shattered Illusions

Chapter 48: This Is Goodbye!

By: Melissa Norvell

XxXxXxXxXx

Looking to Hizaki, he dismissed his fashionable partner and told him to get ready for phase two of their operation. He wanted to have a little private talk with the vampire king. They had some catching up to do. Hizaki decided that he would leave him to his business and left the both of them to talk amongst each other, the clacking of heels faded into silence as Hide instructed Copernicus to come to his side. With a 'yes, master' the king walked over to him, looking him in the eyes.

"It's been a while, hasn't it?" Hide's words were calm.

"Yes, it has," Copernicus replied simply.

"I watched you grow up into the man you are today. I've trained you to kill and use a sword. I've trained you to be an iron-fisted ruler. All of this time, unbeknownst to everyone you've been dancing on my puppet strings," Hide's uncovered eye glanced at the vampire, who stared at him in silence.

"You remember it, don't you? The last moments before your parents died?"

"Yes...master," Copernicus felt the assault of memories rush into his mind like harsh winds of a hurricane. "I remember...I remember it all too well..."

"Hurry everyone! We must get ready for the big ball next week," Hepesta was in high spirits for the upcoming events. Her happy smile had always been one of her most striking features.

"The decorations have been created. They'll be here in approximately two days, Queen Hepesta," Charles had taken care of his contributions to the event, providing it with lavish decor that was being hand crafted by the best in the land.

"Thank you, Earl Charles," she turned to him with a small smile.

"This will be a special event. It marks another decade in your anniversary. I'm sure that everyone will want to attend," Yale smiled at the two. He was excited to be able to attend the festivities.

"Do you have a consort, Prince Yale?" Hepesta asked.

"Not as of yet, but I'm sure that one will come up." Even if one didn't, he could easily find one among those who attended the party. Any girl in the land would have been happy to attend Prince Yale in the big dance.

Hepesta rested a hand on his shoulder. "I'm surprised that neither of my sons are wed off yet." They were both fine, young men who had everything. She couldn't figure out for the life of her why they weren't in high demand, with women flocking to them.

"What girl wouldn't want to dance with a prince?" Carlyle asked, rolling himself up in his wheelchair. "Give them time, dear. They're probably too restless to be tied down."

"The bulbs in the chandeliers have been changed and are all in working order," Horatio informed them of the lighting issue.

"Thank you, Sir Horatio. Could you fetch Copernicus, Hide and Hizaki? I'd like them to take part in this event as well," Hepesta wanted to include everyone that she could.

The knight placed a hand over his chest and bowed curtly. "Yes, my lady."

XxXxXxXx

In another room, Hide and Hizaki sat at one of the intricate, white tables in hand crafted chairs, adorned with wave and spiral patterns. On top of the table sat the finest royal china and tea cups with a stylish, porcelain pot in the middle, steaming with a fresh brew of tea.

Hizaki took a sip of his tea, dressed in a royal blue Victorian dress. "So, that's when you want it done?"

"Two days before the ball at exactly 2:05 in the afternoon," Hide instructed with a devious smile on his face.

"Isn't that when they usually sit outside and have tea, discussing politics and what not?"

"Yes, they go out of the view of their guards then. It's just the two of them, so it will be easy to get them when they're alone," Hide told his companion, taking a drink of tea. He was meticulous in his actions, making sure that he didn't get a drip on his all white ensemble, composed of an embroidered white vest, white cravat and undershirt with frilly sleeves. Atop of his head was a white hat, embroidered and littered with feathers on one side. On his legs, crisp, white pants with black, knee-length boots that shone in brilliance.

Pausing, Hizaki held his tea cup in mid-air as he cast a suspicious glance to the door. "Someone's coming."

As if on cue, Horatio knocked quaintly and invited himself in. The two vampires stared at him in question. "Your attendance and cooperation has been requested by his and her majesty."

"Where?" Hizaki asked.

"Down in the ballroom. Everyone is preparing for the king and queen's anniversary," yhe green-haired knight informed them.

"We're merely tacticians. Why do they require our attendance?" Hide found it odd that they would send out a special request just for them.

"It's Queen Hepesta's orders. She wants you to be a part of it," Horatio told them.

The two of them looked at each other, giving knowing glances for a moment in silence before Hizaki smiled quaintly.

"Why not?" The feminine vampire shrugged. "Maybe a little party is just what we need to put life in our lives."

"Perhaps..." Hide didn't seem to be as optimistic.

"Oh, don't be such a stick in the mud. It'll be fun," Hizaki continued to smile at his partner, as if trying to communicate unspoken words to him.

This definitely put a damper in their plans. It was time to restrategize.

XxXxXxXx

Copernicus walked into the room, dressed in his finest attire. A long, blue cape with crushed velvet interior flowed behind him. Clean, black coat with white cufflinks, adorned with buttons and a red sash with white pants and black, knee-length boots that were shined to perfection adorned his body. Brunette locks were tied back in a dark blue bow and white gloves were slipped over his hands.

"You look dashing, my son," his father gave him a compliment with a proud smile.

"Thank you," he smiled. "It took me a week to get the fabric imported from China. It was special woven silk for this particular piece."

"It's beautiful," Hepeta took a bit of the cape and ran her hands over it. The wait was definitely worth it for the quality it had.

"I must say that your tailors are the best around," Charles also complimented him. Copernicus had always been such a snazzy dresser.

"I should have them design my robes," Carlyle spoke as Hizaki and Hide walked into the room together. "Ah, and there are two vampires who are always elaborately dressed."

"Yes, you look as if you could go to a formal even at any moment," Hepesta had always liked that about the two of them. Hide and Hizaki always had the most beautiful outfits - lace, sequence, embroidery, flowing and elegant clothing that made them look as if they popped right out of a fairytale.

Hizaki waved and put a hand to his cheek. "Oh now, you flatter us so."

"You're too kind," Hide smiled.

"I should put together a list of possible consorts," Yale noted, looking thoughtful. "I'm thinking that maybe I'll take Cristonna-" He was cut off as he noticed the presence of his brother in the room. "Huh? Copernicus, you're here?"

"Prince Yale, it's good to see you," the usually stoic vampire smiled a little at his brother.

Yale returned the gesture. "It's good to see you out of your cage."

"I have a lot of preparations for military projects. I must use the family funding wisely." It was a careful balance that the brunette had to keep in order to utilize the military effectively.

"Are there any new projects underway, or have you rejected them?" Hide inquired.

"I've passed a few, as well as a couple of execution devices that will make things easier on the executioners. Granted, they are still a little primitive in structure." It was a little disappointing, but it would have to do.

"Interesting," Hide took note.

"You're always tinkering with some type of primitive device of mass genocide," Charles noted. It was a twisted hobby of his. Sometimes, he questioned Coeprnicus' mentality when it came to his odd fascination with that kind of thing.

"We must make sure that the wrong doers pay for their sins." If there was anything he was adamant about, it was that.

"I suppose that is one of the more grim aspects of being a high official," Yale couldn't deny that his brother was right.

"Someone has to do it," Carlyle agreed.

"We shouldn't talk about such grim things on such a special day." Honestly, the conversation was weighing Hepesta down.

"My apologies, mother," Copernicus bowed.

"Death is just another part of life. Even vampires die," Carlyle's words trailed off as he looked deep in thought.

"Father," Yale's voice filled with concern.

"Don't let my illness plague you." Realizing the impact of his actions, Carlyle's expression perked up a little. "You've always worried far too much about my health."

"But, you're using your wheelchair today." That fact was especially worrisome. His father only utilized the wheelchair when his ailment was particularly bad. Yale didn't like seeing him riding on wheels opposed to using his feet.

"I've just run into a spell where I'm a little worse than usual. I've had to use my wheelchair a little more now that my legs have been bothering me. It will pass," Carlyle couldn't promise that his condition would improve, and he knew this but he didn't want his son to worry more than he had. In truth, he knew that there would be a day where he wouldn't be able to do anything but ride around in that device, but for now it was merely an aggressive round of disease.

"Father..."

"King Carlyle," the worry spread to the green-haired knight as well. Both he and Yale had grim expressions etched onto their faces.

"Please, don't worry for me. I'll be fine," Carlyle dismissed their anxiety.

'For now, anyway. Soon, old man, that disease will be the death of you. When you die, then Copernicus will take the throne. As long as things go according to plan, I'm sure that factor will please Hide greatly.' Hizaki took note of the situation. A great plan was under way, and there was only a matter of time before the gears would move in their favor.

XxXxXxXx

Soon, the day before the big anniversary bash was upon them. Carlyle was dressed in his finest attire - a long, black coat, with a red under shirt and black tie, black pants and dress shoes, shined to perfection. On his chest was a large amount of medals and decorative pieces. He used an intricate, carved cane to steady himself as he walked. Hepesta sat next to him in her most elegant, faded purple dress.

The two of them sat out at one of the tables outside. They sipped tea from polished porcelain as the fresh air cleared their senses. All around them, green foliage and beautiful, vibrant flowers swayed in the gentle breeze as insects flew around them, spreading pollen. The garden was on an elevated hill that overlooked the entire kingdom.

The view from their position was spectacular.

"Such a beautiful sight, isn't it?" Hepesta smiled at her husband. She enjoyed the calming aesthetics.

"Yes, and tomorrow is the big celebration. Are you ready to celebrate so many years together?" He asked.

She nodded, "yes, I am, and I hope it brings us many more."

Just then, their jovial conversation was interrupted by the clacking of heels against the cobblestone ground as Hizaki walked up, dressed on an orange and white dress, holding his lace umbrella to shade himself from the sun's rays. Ruffled trim swayed as he moved, pouring from the bottom of the dress and around the holes of his sleeves.

Hepesta glanced at him in question. "Hizaki, is something wrong?"

"The preparations are almost complete," the feminine vampire informed the two of them.

"We'll be there shortly," Hepesta replied.

Turning, the vampire said 'of course' and exited the scene.

Hepesta rose from her seat. "I'm going to go and fetch some more tea. Would you like some?"

"That would be wonderful."

Tea pot in hand, Hepsta took it with her as she walked back into the castle, heading towards the kitchen. When she entered the kitchen, Hide was inside holding a bottle of wine in his hand. He turned to look at her as she approached him.

"Hide? What are you doing in here?" The queen asked.

"I was just making myself a glass of wine, my queen." Holding up the glass, his exposed, red eye flashed and the queen's body went rigid. Her eyes zoned out, looking hollow as she dropped the tea pot. The sound of porcelain breaking on linoleum echoed throughout the room as she grabbed either side of her head, struggling against an unseen force. "Stop...Stop it!"

"I command you, Queen Hepesta Carlotta Wittenburg to shoot your husband and then yourself." The order was cold and calculating as he held out a pistol.

The queen took the weapon and looked at him with a blank expression. "Yes, my lord," she then exited the kitchen, going back outside where her husband stood.

Stepping out from behind a bar, Hizaki smiled pleasantly. "Your plan worked."

"Of course it did," Hide smirked, "the throne will belong to us soon enough. Today will mark the day of the rebellion, and the fall of the Wittenburg monarchy."

XxXxXxXx

Carlyle turned in his chair, smiling at his wife. "Welcome back, dear," then he noticed that she had returned without the tea pot. Confusion crossed his face. "Where's the tea? I thought you were going to fetch some, or did you forget?"

Maybe she simply got distracted. It wasn't uncommon that she did so.

Hepesta was quiet for a moment before she pointed her gun at him. "Happy Anniversary, dear."

"What?" Carlyle breathed out in shock as his eyes widened and a shot was fired that echoed through the garden. Blood ran down his face as he stepped back, eyes locked onto his wife gazing upon him with tear-filled eyes.

"I loved you...so much..." She then pointed the gun to her head and pulled the trigger, ending her own life. Blood splattered all over the tea table as the woman fell to the ground in a crumpled heap. "P...Prince Yale...I love..."

Before she could finish her sentence, she was dead.

"Mother!" Yale shouted as he ran out onto the bloodstained garden. He saw Carlyle, lying on the ground in a pool of blood. "Father!" Taking a step back, his blood ran cold at the murder scene before him. "No..." Horror was laced into his tone. "No!" He shouted as tears flowed down his face. "I wanted...so badly to save you both but...now it's too late."

The visions faded from his head of that horrific day as Hide's voice cut through the bitter nostalgia with clarity. It snapped him back into the reality of the situation.

"Now, Prince Yale has also fallen, and all that's left is you. There's nothing you can do in your possessed state."

"From birth...you've been my master. I knew you better than I knew my own parents. Most of the time I spent, I spent it with you," Copernicus spoke in monotone. As grim as it was, it was the truth and he couldn't deny that.

"We are one in the same, my dear Copernicus. We're both cold men with twisted dreams in a world of politics," Hide pointed out the cold, hard facts.

'You've been manipulating me for your gain for my entire life. You were never my friend,' Copernicus thought bitterly to himself as he replied with a simple 'yes, master', recalling more of his delusional past.

The two of them sat at a chess table, absorbed into a game between them. Copernicus was young, a teenager, sitting on a chair across from Hide with the Rigatama propped up against the side of his chair.

That vision faded to the two of them in the courtyard, sparring together. They both went at it as hard as they could and the sound of blades clashing, battle cries and grunts filled the air. Skin coated in sweat, cooled occasionally by the warm breeze as the two fought with fierce determination.

'What has my life meant until now? What have I been living for? Was I truly as independent as I thought, or was I simply dancing along on his strings? I liked to believe that I was in control of myself and my situation but, this entire time, I was doing exactly what he wanted.

'I've walked into just about every plan they've come up with. All of this time, I was trying to be ahead of the game and I failed to notice that I was playing into his traps, no matter how many hours I stayed up, calculating traps, no matter how many hours I stayed up, calculating his moves and spending hours playing these tactical games, he knew what I was going the entire time.

'He even fed his computer's false information so that I couldn't hack his systems. This man is a genius. However, it's a little too bad that he won't be able to calculate my next move.'

"Now, you're back at my side, where you belong. This is where your true alliance lies. This is what's in your blood. You've always stuck out from the other members of the royal family. You fit in much better with Hizaki and I." At least, that's what Hide believed. All of this time, Copernicus was on his side. He'd never truly been the good guy.

'Does he honestly think I belong with him as a slave? My way of thinking might be similar to theirs, but my dreams are completely different.' Copernicus' voice changed slightly, reflecting a hint of amusement to it. "Is that so?"

"You're much happier here, serving us as you were intended to." It was what had always been, and what will always be. There was no use in Coeprnicus fighting against a role he had accepted long ago.

It was his destiny.

"Do you think its people purpose to serve one another?" The brunette questioned.

"It's been like that as long as life has existed," Hide explained. "There are those who are on top, those who are strong and cunning. They are the ones who rule and seize control. They exert a dominant personality. Then there are those who submit the weak-willed and easily pushed over. They are the first ones to fall. I regret that I have to have Hizaki possess you with mind control. Your genius brain would have proven useful. However, since Prince Yale spilled our plans to you, you've been against us from the week before the murders happened onward."

Navy eyes stared ahead as flashbacks continued to reel through his head. He saw himself as a child, growing up, smiling for family photos with his parents, playing the piano, fencing, playing chess and sipping tea out in the garden.

"I've mastered the general use of the sword," a pre-teen Copernicus said. "I'm ready for my next task." Just then, he was pelted in the side of the head and looked caught off guard.

Hide smiled deviously. "I expect no less from a Wittenburg. You are indeed someone who will go far in life."

"Do you think I'll make a good king?" The child stared up at his mentor with expectant eyes.

"If you follow my lead, you'll go far. After all, I'm the reason your mother and father were able to rule Ramada successfully. If not for my great technological advances, then they would be dead by now. I am their savior."

The vampire's visage darkened, 'and their downfall...You knew it, too. You knew that they counted on you and you used it to your advantage.' Malice marred his face as his grip on the Rigatama tightened.

Taking the sword from its sheath, he whirled around to see the shock on Hide's face as blood sprayed into the air. With one, clean slice, Hide's head fell onto the ground with a plop as his hat floated to the ground, stained in an even darker shade of crimson as the bottom of it soaked up the blood spilling from his head and neck.

Standing, the rings in his eyes dimmed and disappeared as he stared down at the decapitated male before him. Cold eyes cast down their judgment. "For all of the things you've done to me, for the manipulation and lies that I've led under your expectations...I honestly believed that I'd be properly guided into being a good ruler under you, but you turned me into a slave who obeyed your ever command.

"I'm tired of being under your grasp, and from now on, I'm going to make my own decisions. What happened in my childhood has already caused enough damage. After all of these years of being manipulated by you, I'm finally free and at peace with myself.

"I can be my own man."

...To Be Continued