Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Small Town Emo ❯ 1 ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

SMALL TOWN EMO
 
Vigil sat at her desk staring blankly at the wall. She wore a black lace, corset-front, Gothic mini-dress. Fishnets covered her legs and met up with black leather combat boots that went up to her shin. Her buckle laden boots were crossed beneath the table. Her red and black make-up she wore arranged into a delicate array around her crimson contact lenses and her lips bore a thin film of black across them. Vigil's silver-blonde hair ran down the middle of her back; her bangs pulled messily behind her pierced ear. Both of her ears have been pierced three times, her lip and eyebrow once.
With just one look over through the class, one could not help but spot Vigil. She stuck out: black lodged into varieties of pinks and white. She was alone in this class and stuck out hugely.
 
Vigil sat there, slightly self-conscience but still held tightly on to her “I-don't-give-a-care” attitude and pulled on her arm warmer to make it go up a little higher. She really did not want her secret to be seen. She waited patiently, now watching the second hand on the clock. “Thirty seconds,” she whispered. “Twenty-two...”
The final bell was about to ring when Mr. Lee, the principal of Wimberley High School, appeared in the doorway and said, “Mrs. Valdez, students, I apologize for this interruption, but this entire class is to be held back an hour after the bell.”
“Hey! You can't do that!” Jared the Jock called from the back.
Soon his little Jockey buddies chimed in, “Yeah! We have a game!”
“I'm sorry, boys, but this is more important. Coach Mason has postponed your game.” Mr. Lee said calmly.
“What is it?” Jared asked irritated.
“Drug tests. We need to know who has what if anyone has anything.”
Oh, darn. Vigil thought sarcastically. I wonder what kind of smart-ass remark they will come up with now. She shook her head and sat up a little straighter, but still slouched.
“Why don't you just take Vigil and let us go to our game?” The class broke into snickers at the meaning of Jared's words.
Come on…Ignore his petty words…Words are words… Vigil kept chanting in her head, trying to calm herself.
“Why are you clutching your desk so hard, Vigil? You hiding something?” Jared asked cockily. “Are you afraid of the tests?”
“You're the one who should be afraid of the results to this f─”
“That's enough!” Mr. Lee interrupted Vigil's shouting. “Vigil, Jared! My office!” Mr. Lee stormed out of the class room. A few seconds later, his head popped back into the room. “As for the rest of you, go to the gym. The testing will begin there.” The principal left again with Vigil and Jared as his shadow.
“Nice going, Emo!” Jared seethed. “Coach is gonna put me out of the game for this.”
“You're welcome,” she replied. “I can almost see you in a skirt and cheering with the cheerleaders. Oh! how embarrassing. I'm sure the blue and white will bring out the color in your eyes.” Vigil smirked.
“That is enough you two!” Mr. Lee said stepping into his office. “Now, take a seat…and please behave.” He stepped out to go to the testing.
Vigil sat on the sofa on the far side of the room and crossed her legs on the table in front of her. She took a few deep breaths before she looked up at Jared. He was staring down at the floor, his shaggy chestnut hair hanging. He looked up at her, his hazel eyes blazing with hate. He shook his head in annoyance and looked down again.
She decided to speak. “Why is it that you hate me so?” Her voice soft and curious. There was no hate whatsoever in her tone.
“Because you're Emo! Emo, Emo, Emo!” he said short of shouting.
“So why do you care?”
“Because I don't like it!”
“Why? Why does it bother you?”
“I don't like the idea of you cutting yourself for fun!”
“It's not for fun.” Vigil murmured soberly.
“Then why do you do it?” Jared seethed.
She was silent for a long moment. She sat there thinking. Thinking about how people react when they see her. “I'm, trying to stop.” She whispered solemnly.
“Trying? Well, you're not trying that hard, now are you?” he accused.
“It's harder than imaginable to stop. It's an addiction. An addiction worse than and even more deadly than the most fatal drug!”
“And you do it for no reason!”
“No, well, yes, but at first there were reasons. Do you even know what Emo means?”
“Yeah, Emo is when someone cuts themselves because they're pissed.”
“No, that is the stereo-type. Emo means Emotional Distress. And Self-Harm is just how we have chosen to relieve ourselves. The physical pain drowns out the emotional pain until it disappears altogether. And I have done often enough to where I get this urge that I cannot, but am trying to, resist.”
“Sure it is. You know you just do it to do it.”
“Whatever! Why am I even opening up like this to you?” Vigil sighed holding back angered and confused tears.
Mr. Lee opened the door to his office then. “Okay, you both are privileged to test tomorrow. You are free to go home.” He said. Then he stepped out of the way so that they could leave.
Vigil pushed angrily past Jared. “Move...” she hissed. “I don't belong here…”
“You aren't wanted here either!” Jared called after her.
She ran as far as she could before there were streams of red and black make-up falling down her cheeks. She made it as far as the next town over.
 
END