Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Stolen ❯ Journey's Beginning ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5
Journey's Beginning

She heard it. Voices outside the stable doors. They crept closer so they could hear better. She recognized Thomas' voice, and the other may have been Jared. Thomas was speaking. "...We shall have to do it as soon as possible. The little twerp is something that we don't need. And now we have a perfect opportunity to go through with this."

"But sir, is it wise to do this at this time? Everything that we were hoping for is not yet in place and the men from..." Their voices faded as the two walked away, their echoing footsteps drowning out their words. Lesley and Terra both waited a few minutes before they started to move and speak again.

Lesley looked at Terra. "Who do you think that they were talking about?"

"I don't know for sure, but I didn't like the sound of it. I just hope that Thomas doesn't take the opportunity to rally up support while I'm gone for a rebellion."

"I wouldn't be surprised if that had been Thomas planning something that would de-throne you while you're still gone. I'm going to have to keep an eye on him while your gone. I'm also going to keep a close eye on Curt, since the two could have been talking about him."

"Thank you. I couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to Cyrt." Terra opened the door to the stable and peeked out. No one was there. She gave a small sigh under her breath and opened the door. She was overcome with a sudden need for a little humor. She held the door open and swung her hand out. "Ladies first."

Before realizing what he was doing, Lesley stepped out into the dim light and even nodded a quick thanks. She couldn't keep her giggles in. When he realized what had just happened, he turned stopped, stunned, and glared at her as she walked by him, laughing. She stopped about a meter in front of him. "Not funny in the least bit, Terra. Not funny at all."

She smiled at him cheekily. "No? And what are you going do about it?"

He glared and started walking toward her, fists clenched. Being almost a year older than her, all solid muscle, and a head taller, he could crush her into jelly with just one hand. Knowing she could never win, she looked down to the ground. "Sorry Lesley. T'was merely a jest."

This time he started to laugh. "You thought that I was going to hurt you? Your crazier than I thought!" She looked up, feeling her cheeks start to burn. She knew he would not have fought her, but knowing what he could do could make anyone back off.

"I know you wouldn't," She retorted defensively.

He was still grinning. "I'd never dream of hurting you. For one thing most of the people down here would be out to slit my throat, and second, it would mean Thomas would take your place one way or another, and I hate him more than anyone." By now they walking back to the house. He smiled to himself shyly, but then put on a frown again. "I can't risk killing the Queen. All your Companions would know within seconds what had happened and would be all over me faster than you can imagine."

This time it was Terra who laughed. "Yeah, I know. That's one of the advantages of being in power. All who support you will fight for you." As they approached the house, some of the windows were already illuminated with the soft light of candles.

"I guess Lady Lynn has already started to make breakfast," Lesley pointed out. The warm smell of bread wafted past their noses. Kagome's mouth started to water. She hadn't realized just how hungry she was. This time it was Lesley who held the door open for her. "Ladies first," he mimicked.

She gave a small smile and stopped abruptly. She held her hand out to the open door. "Ok Lesley, after you."

He rolled his eyes as he pushed her in ahead of him. When the two were inside, Terra headed for the stairs.

"Aren't you going into the kitchen?" Lesley asked as he watched her walk in the opposite direction of where he thought she was going.

"No, I want to see Curt first, before I break my fast," and with those words, she headed upstairs. She opened Curt's room quietly and then tiptoed over to his bed. He lay there on his side with one hand beneath his pillow and the other somewhere beneath him. She smiled to herself. Laying there so peacefully he looked like he was made of porcelain, with a few curly locks of red hair falling down onto his lightly freckled face. She leaned over and kissed his forehead gently. He sighed from his dreams, and then she quietly left, just as she had come.

She headed downstairs to the kitchen. Voices drifted up to her ears as she walked down the stairs, and then she entered the spacious kitchen. Lady Lynn was cutting the loaf of bread, the one that she and Lesley had smelled outside, while Tarrin, Jesse, and Lesley sat at the table, sipping mugs of hot cider. Lesley quickly jumped up and headed over to pour Terra a mug too.

"It's not fair that we can't come with you," Tarrin exclaimed. Lesley had, after all, gotten to the kitchen first, so he must have told them what was going on.

"I know. As I already told Lesley though, none of you can come with me." He nodded understandingly and handed Terra her mug. She sat down at one of the chairs and took a small sip. The warm liquid slid down her throat. It was apple, and she could taste a little bit of cinnamon. She set it down, but kept her hands wrapped around it. Lesley sat down too.

Lady Lynn set down a plate before each of them with two slices of bread with butter each. Steam rose up from the warm dough and made Terra's mouth water even more. She picked up a slice and took a bite. The soft substance melted in her mouth. Lady Lynn was a master cook, and thus why everyone called her ‘Lady' Lynn. She was not Nobel born, but carried around her an air of Nobility like no one else that Terra knew. Terra smiled up at her and thanked her.
"You don't need to be thanking me," was all she replied. They all started to chew.
"So tell me, Terra, what exactly are you getting out of this whole deal? Money? Jewels? Protection? Land? You've kept that in you like the greatest secret," Jesse asked.
"That's because it is a secret," she replied mysteriously, trying not to spoil the effect by laughing.
"Oh come on Terra, just tell us! Don't you trust us?" Tarrin pleaded.

She smiled at him. She loved keeping them in suspense. "Of course I trust you."

"Well...?" Even Lady Lesley was trying to break her now. She had wanted it to be a surprise, but she could not keep anything from these four.

"Come now child, we all want to know what it is!" Amazing. Even Lady Lynn was getting in on the prodding.

"I'm not sure if I want to tell you, I want it to be a surprise." Now all four of them looked like three sad little puppies. They all knew that the puppy dog looks almost always worked on Terra, so she knew she had to give in.

"All right, all right, I give up. I'll tell you all." All of their faces lit up and they looked at her in anticipation. "What would you say if we could live as a kingdom above ground, unnoticed at all times, with easy access to the city? Which means, real sunlight, fields, fresh air, and yet still had the ownership of this underground cave as a place to stay when we want to stay in town?"

They all looked at each other. Tarrin spoke up. "I'd say that you'de fallen on your head."

Terra rolled her eyes.

"How...is that what it is? How will that be possible? Are all our people going to be just moved above ground un-noticed, along with all their possessions, livestock and homes?" Jesse sounded confused. They were wearing puzzled expressions on their faces.

"Well, that is what it is. You see, what's going to happen is that the Merchant is going to give us the land surrounding the DeMyres waterfall just at the outskirts of town. What most don't know is that there is land behind the waterfall in a huge valley. It will be a whole new city, bigger than the one that we have. It will also has underground passages to all the other pouches, only they won't be able to access them unless we want them to. You see, it belonged to the Torquillian pouch hundreds of years ago, but had to be given up due to war. Now we can claim it back thought. Thus, trade will increase, and we will be able to help and receive help from our allies more speedily. This town shall remain in case we need a fast getaway. So, what do you think?"

Mouths open, eyes wide, they looked like a bunch of dead fish. Jesse was the first one to regain his ‘human' form. He shook his head in disbelief. "Are you serious ? That would be wonderful!" he exclaimed, joy spreading over his young features.

"Yes, I agree. It would be quite convenient." Lesley added.

"I can't believe my ears!" Lady Lynn looked like she was about to faint. Terra smiled.

Tarrin smirked. "Now even Thomas won't have anything bad to say."

She smiled again. "I sure hope your right. You never know with that man." All four of them beamed at Terra. Maybe this whole trip would not be so bad after all, she thought to herself, since I know it will make everyone happy.

They finished their breakfasts in much lighter moods, although the air of disappointment still clung to Jesse, Lesley, and Tarrin
When they were done, Terra thanked Lady Lynn one last time and departed from the kitchen. As she walked out, Curt was just coming down the stairs in his night shirt, rubbing his eyes and still looking half asleep.
"Morning Curt." He looked at Terra through half closed eyes and mumbled a low good morning. Tera mussed up his thick hair and told him to get into the kitchen for breakfast.
"Ter', are you leaving today?" he didn't move an inch to the kitchen.
"Yes, now go and eat. You'll need your strength since your gonna help run the place for the next month." He nodded soberly. She gave him a quick smile, and then nudged him gently to the kitchen. After that she headed outside.

That same morning, by ten, they had already had Conner's funeral service, and right after Terra started preparing to leave. She checked over Sprite's saddle bags, making sure that she had everything that she would need. Since she had made a list, she handed it over to Jesse, who took it a little reluctantly, and headed to the pouches small tavern.

She entered it and headed straight to the room that she knew the Merchant's messenger was occupying until her job was complete. Without even knocking she entered the room. He was standing at the window, reading over some papers. He looked up when he heard her footsteps. There was no trace of surprise on his face when he saw her. "Well, what is it?"

She took a deep breath. "I want Lesley, Tarrin, and Jesse to come with me. I refuse to go alone." He looked a little taken back, but then his stare turned angry again.

"You barge in here to bother me for that? No, I already told you."

Terra clenched her fists. "I will refuse to go if you do not allow me at least one Companion. I shall smash the ring to a thousand pieces, making you powerless against me, as well as the Merchant, and you shall have to explain to him why the ring is gone!" If looks could kill, Terra knew she would already be six feet under.

"You play a dangerous game, but very well then. One person, that is all. Anymore when you arrive, and none of you will get back in one piece." And with that, turned his back on her and waved his hand for her to leave. She was about to try to debate two people, but she decided against it. She would probably just infuriate him.

Instead, she headed back to her own home and up to her room. She wanted to think and wash up a bit before she change into riding garments and left. After entering the room she poured some water into a bowl and washed her face. After she dumped the water out her window, just barley missing Curt and Lucas, Tarrin's younger brother, who were playing with a ball, she walked over to her chest that sat directly in front of her bed. The hinges uttered no sound as she opened the lid and took out a leather wrapped package. The soft folds fell away and she let the leather fall back into the chest. In her hands stayed a sheath. Inside it was the greatest treasure that she possessed: a sword, made from a very light colored silver, almost white, metal. On the hilt of it was a perfectly spherical, clear, colorless stone that could be seen from either side. On one side of the blade, the word Life was written, and on the other side it had Death engraved. It had been passed down through her family for generations, so she always kept it in a safe place overnight. She strapped it to herself and headed back outside, heading strait for Sprite. There, Beth, Rena, Tarrin, Jesse, Riven, Brodrick, and Lesley were standing around discussing something. Her thoughts were racing, but she knew she had made the right choice. She reached them and they all looked at her.

"I have some great news!" she announced. They all still stared to her. "I just spoke to the messenger and I can take one of you with me!" Five of the six faces lit up. Beth didn't look too thrilled, since there was a chance that Terra may take Tarrin away for the month with her. Jesse spoke first.

"Which one of your Companions do you want to go with you?" He looked like he was going to fall on his knees and beg her to let him come.

Terra shook her head. "I want to take one of the two girls with me." Beth's face dropped again, now thinking Terra might take her away from Tarrin for a month.

"Rena, you want to come with me?" Several things happened all at once. Beth's face lit up, Rena looked like she was going to faint, Jesse's mouth fell open, Tarrin looked like he was going to have a panic attack, Terra really needed to sneeze, Riven and Brodrick grinned at each other, and Lesley, well...he just looked the same.

"Wow, really? I'd love to!" Rena was obviously happy with Terra's choice.

"What!" This was Jesse and Tarrin simultaneously.

"Go and pack Rena. Fill two saddle bags and change into some riding gear. I'll have another horse prepared." Rena gave another squeal as she grabbed Beth's arm and running, dragged her along. Rvien and Brodrick followed them, knowing that they would have to helf carry Rena's things. Since none of the men were saying anything, Terra looked to Jesse.

"Can you go and get Rena's horse saddled up? Please? And Lesley, can you go see if Lady Lynn has our food ready?" They nodded and both went off in the direction of the stables and house. They looked really hurt.

Tarrin looked at Terra. "Are you crazy? What the hell were you thinking? I mean, would you not rather have a man there for protection? What if you get attacked on the road?"

Terra gave a soft laugh. "Then I would feel sorry for the ones who ambushed us. You forget that we are all trained better than any swords master, save for the Daggers."

He gave a low sigh, having failed at his last chance for going with her. Terra quickly pulled her braid up into a bun with a few pins she always carried around and put her hat over it. She looked at Tarrin. "Better? Now we shall have a ‘man' traveling with us. That should put your fears to rest."

He laughed. Having done so, he took a small tissue wrapped package out of his pocket and handed it to Terra. A look of surprise crossed her face. "For me? What is it?"

"Open it," was all he said in reply, nodding toward the packet. Terra gently started to unwrap it, not knowing if it was fragile or not. As the last bits of paper fell off, she saw a hint of lavender. Then it was finally unwrapped. It was a small semi-circular ceramic box, with a flower shaped lid. On the side, the word ‘Love' was written. The whole thing had a soft lavender tint.

"Oh Tarrin, I love it!" Careful not to drop the box, she stepped to Tarrin and embraced him.

He put his arms around her waist. "Your welcome. When you look at it on your trip, remember me, ok?"

She leaned back a bit. "I will. I promise." And with that she let him go. She re-wrapped the box and placed it gently between the folds of one of her shirts in her saddle bag. She turned around in time to see Rena bounding down the street. She had changed into a dark green gown with a black bodice, and she was carrying her cat, Nina. Nina had been Rena's cat ever since anyone could remember. She was on of the most finicky cats Terra had ever met. It took a lot of work to get on her good side, and not a lot to get off it.

Rena arrived breathless. Riven and Brodrick came right behind her, carrying her saddle bags. She halted and looked Terra up and down, noticing that Terra had put on her male appearance. "Nice! Ok, I'm ready. Can we go yet?"

Terra laughed. "No, not yet. Your horse isn't here." Just as she finished saying that, Jesse walked up to them leading a spirited dapple mare named Spur. Rena looked at Terra. "You were saying?" Terra rolled her eyes.

"Where's Terra?" asked Jesse as he handed Spurs reins to Rena. They all looked at each other and burst out laughing. Right away Koga knew what was going on and surveyed Terra, turning slightly red as he started to laugh. "Oops, my mistake. Sorry Terra, I didn't recognize you."

Kagome grinned. "It's ok. I was wondering who it would be this time." Lesley chose that moment to walk up to them. He put the cloth-covered food into Terra's saddlebags as they began to exchange good-byes. Terra hugged everyone. She got a lot of 'be-carfuls' and good wishes.

"C'mon, saddle up. The sooner we leave the better." Rena mounted Spur and waited for Terra to mount. Nina jumped into one of the saddle bags on Rena's horse. Terra mounted Sprite and urged him to turn around and put him into a walk. She turned around and waved back to everyone who was standing in the courtyard, which had grown into a small crowd. Just as she was going under the arch, she heard a small voice call out her name. She turned around to see Curt rushing toward her. He reached her quickly, being the fastest runner under ten years old in the pouch. She bent down to his outstretched arms and picked him up to sit in the saddle in front of her, his face toward hers.

"Ter, don't leave." His little voice quivered, and he had tears in his eyes.

"Oh Curt, don't cry. I'll be back within a month."

"That's too long Ter!"

"It's the best I can do little guy. I wish I could be back sooner, but I can't. I'm sorry." A tear rolled down his cheek. "Look, I promise to bring you back something nice, just like papa always did."

His face brightened a little, but not nearly enough. "I'll miss you." Terra smiled at him and give him a hug, which was a bit difficult on a moving horse. He rode with her until they reached the exit of the cave. She then handed him down to Lesley, who had started to follow them for that reason.

"Watch over him for me, Lesley," she murmured softly.

"I will," was the only answer she got from him, and with that she turned around and took Rena and herself up to the main road through a series of fields and paths. When they reached the road, they traveled south. They met up with a group of Daggers within the first hour.