Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Stones Corner ❯ The winds of change ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hello. My name is Yuni Wakiro. Yes I'm Japanese. I want to be a writer like some people on this site and a friend of mine from California told me about Media Miner. So this is my first chapter of Stones Corner. Please enjoy and review, I need encouragement as well as criticism.
 
Authors Note (The only thing that I don't own in this story is the story line. This story line is somewhat similar to Lemony Snicket and the series of unfortunate events but that's about all. I haven't read the book I just saw the movie so please review)
 
Stones Corner
A Story of Four Very Unlucky Children
 
The Smithers family, a small, wealthy family living in the very heart of London, England, was a very happy, very fortunate family. Mr. Smithers and Mrs. Smithers' occupations were both kept secret. The only thing the children knew about their parent's jobs was that they worked together, coming in and leaving at the same time. But that's how it was in the Smithers household, everyone working together as a team.
 
The Smithers couple had four children: One daughter and boy triplets; the eldest of the four children, Mia, was skilled in building traps and making plans. At the age of eleven, she managed to capture her three brothers in one of her very creative traps. Now at the age of sixteen, she uses her skills for a more benefited manner, hunting with her father. Of course, she was considered the odd one in the family. While both her parents had black hair and brown eyes, she was born with red hair and blue eyes, making her think every once in a while that she was adopted.
 
Next are the triplets: Alan, Alex, and Andrew (Although everyone calls him drew for short). Alan is the triplet with intelligence that surpasses those three times his age, All day you could find him in the family library accompanied by books upon books, reading from the encyclopedias or complicated novels, His mother brags on how he could recite words from Shakespeare before most could even walk. Alex seemed to be more brawn than brains, He was a survivor. Tough as nails with the attitude to match. His father would tell anyone who could hear about the time a ninth grader was picking on Mia and that Alex had the boy on the ground in ten seconds flat “and that boy was a mighty big size, on the football team and everything”.
And finally, there was Drew. Mischievous and devious. A very manipulative child and also cunning. His mother would sometimes say that he could use his gift for good if he hadn't had a knack for getting into trouble. But Mia says that she can't really complete a trap without the seven-year-olds view.
 
But a wind of bad luck was about to blow, changing the children's lives forever.
 
It all began on one beautiful summer morning. The sun was shining, making the ocean illuminate an eerie glow; the breeze was calm, warm, and had a faint scent of freshly baked bread mixed with salt water. The four children stood near the cove, miles away from their home. It was a tradition that every weekend, Daisy Olington, their nanny, would take them to the cove to play. Usually the weather was horrible and drab, but the children played happily in the ocean as the sun and the breeze warmed their backs. Mia knelt just a couple of feet from where the tide swept in. Her sand-drawn plans were safe from the ocean thanks to Alan's advice. The triplets' splashed in the ocean, playing a game of pirates while Daisy read the daily newspaper.
 
“Arr!” Growled Drew; waving his stick around like a sward “I am black beard, feared ruler of the six seas!”
 
“There are seven seas, Andrew” Commented Alan, ducking from Alex's stick “and If you want to get technical, triton ruled over the seven seas”
 
“Then I'm triton! God of the water!” Roared Alex, waving his stick up in the air.
 
You cant be Triton, I want to be triton!” shouted Drew, lunging after Alex
 
“You can be Hades, he's the god of the underworld” Suggested Alan, taking a small break while watching his brothers sward fight.
 
Alex paused for a split-second “I thought we where playing pirates!” smack, Drew's stick hit hard against Alex's face. Daisy was up and over in about half a second.
 
“DREW! ALEX! THAT'S ENOUGH HORSEPLAY!” she shouted. Mia was behind her, tugging on her blouse. Daisy turned to face Mia “what's the matter dear”. Mia turned her back to the nanny; her green eyes were upon a hearse that had stopped right at the cove “Its them, they are driving a hearse!”
Daisy chuckled “Its probably nothing, hon.” she said as the two men came out of the hearse, one tall and fat, the other short and youthful, both wearing looks of sorrow on their faces. All four children and the nanny bore looks of confusion. Questions tickled their mind: Who are these men? Why are they here at the ocean? Was there a death they overlooked near or even inside the cave?
 
The older, plump man stopped in front of Mia, who glared at him “can I help you, sir?” She asked, honestly not wanting them around. Daisy must have sensed a sarcastic sentence about to erupt from Mia, for she butted into the conversation. “What brings you nice fellows here? Has someone died__”
 
“Mrs. Olington, we are here to speak to the children. Whatever the topic is, it does not concern you” Said the youth in a monotone voice. Daisy began to stutter, probably wondering how this man could have possibly known her name.
 
“Duke, please take the old woman to her home” Said the old man, the youth obeyed, taking Daisy bye the arm and dragging her to the hearse. The triplets stood silent, but Mia spoke up. “Are you going to tell us what's going on, sir?”
 
He bowed, took off his cap and brought it to the ground. He rubbed his eyebrows as if exhausted. He looked up to Mia, his gray eyes watery. Mia felt a sharp, throbbing pain in the lump of her throat. The triplets gathered around their oldest sister, looks of confusion written all over their faces.
 
“Your parents have departed from this world in the case of murder…”
 
It was on that very second that their lives had changed forever. Mia tried to stay strong for her three weeping brothers as they followed the old man to the hearse. Talks of orphanage followed until they finally decided to send the four children to an ancient mansion owned by their great aunt Gertrude who lived in Wales.
 
“But we don't have a great aunt Gertrude” Mia exclaimed as they left for Wales three days later. So begins the journey of four siblings. Many unlucky storied will follow until they find out exactly who killed their parents and why.
 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
That's the end of chapter One. Tell me how I'm doing! Bye everyone.