Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Stones of Summer: Instinct ❯ Spring/17 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Two
Spring/17
"Never expose yourself unnecessarily to danger; a miracle may not save you...and if it does, it will be deducted from your share of luck or merit."
The Talmud
Every summer, my parents trekked southwest to meet up with a group of other conservationists and government officials to determine the progress of the year. It was a long tedious couple of months spent in conference rooms and shabby hotels. The heat followed us as we would move further south, yet they did this every year. And every year, they would drag my unwilling body right along with them. At the time,
their excuses were that I was too young to be left alone and that they didn't trust my knowledge about the tigers to leave me home.
Well, this year they could have no complaints. I would be eighteen in a few weeks and I was old enough to do as I pleased. The excitement of being able to leave the stinking hole that was the compound and venture out into uncharted territory like America or Britain was all I could think of. Now I just needed an opening to appear.
"Jancy, you've got a letter!" My planning would have to be put on hold.
"Whose it from?!" I yelled back from in my room. My door opened and mom peeked her head in holding said letter.
"Aunt Julie, do you want me to leave it in on the table..." I jumped up and filched it from her fingers.
"No, I'll read it now." She smiled and walked out, leaving my door wide open. I peeled the seal of the envelope up with my finger.
"Mom! Door!" I pulled the pages of letter out. She didn't come. I glared and looked up.
"Mom!" I yelled as I fell back with the letter pressed to my nose. Footsteps came toward my room.
"You forgot to close my door-"
"Really? Are you really that lazy? The door isn't two feet from you and you're calling your mother to close it?" I peered over the letter, glaring at the offending person.
"What are you doing here?" I knew why he was here, he lived here, but why was he in my doorway? He chuckled and plopped down onto my bed. I screeched and tried to push his weight off.
"Get out fat ass!" He laughed and rubbed his sweaty arms and face all over my blankets and pillow.
"Ew!" I screamed and slammed him with the same pillow. He just continued laughing.
"MOM! Chris is in my room!" This time mom did answer. I bet she had been there
the entire time.
"Chris, leave her alone. Jancy, stop yelling, our house isn't that big and Chris isn't actually hurting you." She chastised from I assume the kitchen. Chris got up, ruffled my hair and dodged my fist.
"Temper, temper." He was out the door before I could find something worthless to throw at him.
Scowling I turned back to my now creased and crumpled letter.
Aunt Julie's handwriting was slanted and close together and I had to really focus on what she wrote-
My favorite niece-
I know well what is coming up and how you dread it, so I will not draw this out. I have received a job in London and wanted to know if you would like to visit me for a few months.
I jumped up and screamed for joy, throwing my hands in the air. I turned back to the letter immediately.
I may have a job you can start at, no previous training required, so that you won't be bored the entire time. Also, your uncle's granddaughter, about your age, will be staying close by. She is going to college nearby. I thought that you could maybe talk with her about some summer courses. I'll wait for you reply. I wish my cursed sister would just get over her phobia of the telephone. No one else is listening in on your calls, but I doubt she will ever believe me. Take care my lovely girl, and pack for a cool and rainy summer. I find it quite comfortable, yet you may not. I do not understand how your house functions in such heat, but then again, you have been raised in it, it probably doesn't both you much now, does it?
Write soon so that I may prepare your room. I look forward to our summer together.
Signed,
Aunt Julie
I looked up in such happiness I thought I might burst. I danced around mom ad Chris in the door way, moving out into the kitchen.
"I'm going to have such a wonderful time!" I pressed the letter to my chest and sighed.
Such a relief to know I would be out of here within a few weeks and I could start my life!
"What has got you so happy?" Ignoring the questioning looks I got from the two sour pusses, I grasped Chris's hands and led him into a waltz, although he didn't really make an effort. I twirled around the kitchen, happy as the lark
Mom snatched the letter from my hand and I let her. Let her bask in the goodness that was Aunt Julie!
Dad walked in and smiled at me, I smiled back.
"Hello daddy, I've the most wonderful news!" I kissed his cheek and forced him to dance with me in Chris's place. Dad followed the steps better although caught off guard.
"And what might that be? And who do I owe a favor for putting my little girl in such high spirits!" I turned and grabbed the letter from Chris, before he had even finished reading it.
"Look, look. I'll have such a splendid time and I can go to school too!" I handed in the letter and twisted around, humming lightly and picturing myself in the latest fashion from London. I scooted past mom who was busy chopping at vegetables erratically. I stole one, some yellow squash, and popped it into my mouth. She swatted at my hand but I just moved on. I skipped around Chris, who was being extremely nice by not saying a word, leaving me in my happiness and not raining on my parade. He was leaned against the wall closest to my room with his arms crossed over his chest, just staring at me I'm sure, with in eyebrow raised.
"Isn't it the most glorious news!?" I exclaimed, wrapping my arm through dad's. He looked troubled but I was probably looking at him in the wrong light. How could this news trouble anyone?
"I'll have to write Aunt Julie immediately, or phone, phone! Or mom please let me use the phone." I fluttered across the small expanse of the kitchen and pulled mom away from her chopping.
"Those vegetables are dead enough, pay attention to me. Please tell me you'll let me phone Aunt Julie, right now, to tell her yes! To shout and scream and tell her I'll be there as soon as the first plane leaves!? Oh please mom!" She yanked her arm back and I began to see something was wrong. I turned to dad.
"Daddy? Please? I haven't asked for anything like this ever! Just one phone call, two minutes at the most. I'll just tell her and then hang up right away!" As if to prove I lifted the receiver to my ear and readied my fingers over the numbers.
"No! Jancy, put that thing down and go... go, clean your room, or something!" She yanked the phone from my hand and slammed it back down. I whirled on her and glared.
"Why not?! And I've already completed my chores today!" She was scoping the vegetables into the pan with some oil.
"Because I said so, now enough of this talk." I cried out in frustration, turning to dad whose eyes were scanning the letter.
"Dad! You can't let her do this!" He looked at me with a grim frown.
"Jance, we need to talk this over before we do anything, it came at a very bad time. We've got so much to do still." I threw my hands up to cover my ears.
"You really do hate me!" Mom made a noise and slammed the knife down.
"Jancy, we've already had this discussion, now stop it. Act your age." I cried out again, incredulous. I turned on her.
"I am!" I pointed at my self, nearly hitting myself in the face.
"People my age leave home, get jobs, go to college. They don't live with their parents who act like they are children!" Mom settled her steely gaze on me.
"People your age don't act so immature and irrational. They think things through, talk things through. They don't yell at other people just because they don't get their way." She spoke evenly. I groaned in frustration, throwing my hands up.
"I'm going to be eighteen, you can't stop me!" She frowned and went back to preparing dinner, ignoring me.
"Really?!" I stared at her back. "And you're calling me immature?!" Dad called my name warningly. I stormed to my room turning back just before I slammed my door to yell that I hated them.
Knock Knock
"Jannie, it's Fergie, I'm comin' in. You'd betta' be decent." I groaned and dropped my head into my book.
"I'm naked." The door opened anyway and Ferguson walked in. His hair had been pulled back out of his face with a leather tie, but the dark dread locks still swung freely over his shoulders.
"What's the point of tying it back if you let it hang over your shoulders and get in the way?" I turned back to my book. He sat on the edge of the bed, leaning back on my legs.
"Well, I do it to keep it out of my face, and so everybody stops thinkin' imma' caveman. Did they really have dreadlocks?" I shrugged. He patted my leg.
"Anyway, dinner's ready, wash up." I grunted and stayed put. I had no intention of moving. I wasn't going to willingly sit at the same table as them.
"You wouldn't happen to want to bring me a plate, would you?" His look gave me the answer.
"Right, I didn't think so." I buried my head in my arms. It was stifling in the house, why didn't we invest in air conditioners? Oh, yeah because a tiger would rip it out of the wall. Almost forgot.
"Don't make me carry you." Ferguson warned. I grunted, again. Before the noise was even over, I was being picked up and dumped over his shoulder. He dropped me at the foot of the bathroom and patted my head.
"You have two minutes." I glared at him but grudgingly got up and washed my hands and face. The cool water felt good.
"Thirty seconds." Came a call and I shuffled to my seat, across from Chris and Ferguson, next to dad. I looked to Chris, hoping that he could see the pleading in my eyes.
"Switch seats? Please?" He rolled his eyes and stood, motioning for me to move.
I scrambled to his chair, already feeling out of place. From here I had a perfect view of mom and dad. Dad, mom and Claudine moved around us, bringing hot dishes out on pot holders to set down. Mom and dad exchanged glances, obviously noting the rearranged seats.
Ferguson, Chris and Claudine chatted louder than necessary what with the my parents and me keeping our mouths shut, figuratively. Quiet descended on all of us with only the 'clink' of the cutlery to show we were all still alive.
"So, Jannie, any plans this summer?" Ferguson shot a conspiratorial look at me. I stabbed my noddles with more force than I needed, making the fork squeak on the plate.
"I would have, but my parents are completely unreasonable-" Dad slammed his fork down and stared at me, giving my the full force of his anger.
"Jancy, stop this. It's you who is being unreasonable." A terse silence fell over the table, everyone glancing at one another except dad and I who kept our eyes locked.
"I think it would be a good experience for her, let do some growing up." I jutted my chin out.
"Thank you Fergu- hey! I'm already-" I turned to argue with him.
"Enough! Your father and I have already said you are not going. We don't think you are ready to run off to another country alone."
"Mom! Why can't I go?! I'm old enough now, I don't need a baby sitter!" I slammed my hands down on the table and pushed out of my chair. She fixed me with a side-long glare.
"Jancy, enough. Now sit down and finish your dinner. I said no." Wanting to show her just how angry I was, I flipped my plate over in the middle of the table and stormed out the door.
"Jancy! Come back here right now!" I ignored her. If she wanted me to stay, I'd make her life a living hell. I was getting out as soon as I turned eighteen. I could go live with Aunt Julie for a while, go to college and get a job. Then I'd buy my own place and I'd never have to come back to this dump again. I moved into the shadows of the house as I heard the screen door open and shut.
"That was mature." I frowned harder and stepped out of the shadows. Chris was that last person I wanted to talk to.
"Oh, like I care what you think Ferdricks." He was frowning as well. We had a staring match. I wasn't going to lose.
"You should go apologize. You've really hurt your mom." He crossed his arms over his chest as if to scare me.
"I doubt she even knows I've left the house." He frowned harder, if that was even possible. I began to walk away. Nothing he said could bug me.
"One of these days, you're going to regret this." I kept walking, shoving my hands into the pockets of my shorts.
"Yeah, yeah. Past regret and what not, I'll check that off my to-do list. In the mean time, think you could convince my parents to let me go to London?" I was suddenly spun around. I glared at him and yanked my arm away.
"How dare you! You're parents don't want you to go because they are concerned for your safety and they know they will miss you. And all you can think of is going off to some fanciful vacation that will fulfill all your hopes and dreams?" He spat in the dirt beside me and I sneered.
"What ever happened to parents sacrificing for their children?" His grip tightened on my arm.
"You...you... you little brat! Your parents have sacrificed more than you will ever know. With this kind of attitude, no wonder they won't let you go. You are still so immature and childish-" My other hand shot out and hit him across the face. My palm was left stinging and red. His grip tightened once more and I thought my wrist would break. His eyes flashed to mine.
"Don't. Hit. People." He gritted out between his teeth before pushing me away.
"Get. Inside." I glared at him and planted my feet. He didn't bother fighting me. He knew I'd be in minutes later. Just the chance that Myali came through here had me jumpy.
He stalked back to the house, his fists clenched.
I pressed my own fist to my chest.
What he had said had hurt more than it should have. I waited a few minutes after the screen door slammed closed before sneaking around the back of the house. I pulled my window and screen up then clambered to get in. My sneakers couldn't get any purchase on the side of the house. I must have looked entirely foolish with my back-end hanging out the window as I scrambled to get in. As I fell to my bed, I heard mom whispering.
It was too low for me to understand, but I didn't really care. She brought this on herself. I changed into shorts and a tank top while kicking my shoes off and pulling my hair out of the braided pig tails it had been in.
I yanked the cord to my light and lay in bed. I shoved the covers off my bed and reached up to yank the cord for my fan. It was hot as hell in here.
Morning came slowly and I had little initiative to actually get up. I lie in bed for what seemed like forever, too quick for me. A banging that rattled my door made me jump.
"What!?" I yelled, throwing myself out on the bed to have as much of my body under the fan's cool breeze.
"Don't 'what' me. Get the hell up, you've got chores!" What the hell was Chris doing here this early? I groaned and rolled over. "Yeah, yeah. I've got all day to do them." A bit more sleep couldn't hurt. Hi fist connected with the door again making me jump."
Now!" My eyes blinked open.
"Alright! I heard you the first time! I'm up! Now do us all a favor and go jump off a bridge or something!" There was another bang on my door and I smiled. I was so happy he wasn't allowed in my room.
"Jancy, get up. There are things we could use help on. We need to finish up before we go to the market for supplies." Dad's calm voice penetrated my near sleep. I groaned again. "Chris, put that bucket down- no you can't not dump that on her..." My eyes shot open when I heard dad tell Chris he couldn't dump, something, on me.
I jumped up and threw my door open.
"Ah God! My eyes! They burn!" Chris nearly dropped the bucket of water as he lurched away with an arm thrown over his face.
My cheeks burned red. I clenched and unclenched my hands repeatedly. Dad stepped between us, giving me a stern look.
"The both of you, not today." I glared at him, almost forgetting that I was angry at him.
"Straighten up your room and take food out to Sasha. Then get ready to leave, we've got to go to the market today, so think of any last minute things you need." He left, leaving me, standing in my night clothes, and Chris, staring after him.
"He's upset with you. You really hurt your mom." I grunted and shut my door.
I pulled on fresh under clothes, cotton shorts and a yellow short sleeved t-shirt. I brought a pair of socks and my Converse out with me, placing them on the table. I trotted to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. Moving back toward the kitchen, I yanked the orange juice from the fridge as I passed it, drinking from the bottle. I gagged.
"Why do I always do that?!" Orange juice and toothpaste did NOT work together. No one answered me.
I yanked my socks and shoes on, pulling my hair out of my face and into braids.
"Jancy! Let's go!" I grumbled, but stood and moved toward the door. Dad was waiting there with his hand on one of the she-tiger's collar. I rolled my eyes and moved past him. He swatted my back-end and gave me a stern look.
"Get the load out of your pants, move it."
Sasha was pressed up against the front of her cage, her feline gaze settled on to me the minute I moved into sight. I went to the cage, opening it to scoot in. She growled and moved back, hobbling on three paws. She had gotten trapped in a 'cat trap'. She was in the pen to recover. I squatted down to take a look at her wounded paw. She rolled over, but kept her eyes fastened to me. I deemed it healing and stood, moving to the back of the pen to pull the leftovers of her last meal from the ground. I pulled and they didn't move. The carcass had to be at least three days old, it should have moved easily. I got down on my hands and knees to see it.
'Ah.' It was stuck under the edge of the fence. I grabbed hold of the bone closest to the caught end and pulled. It gave, little by little.
"Hey! What the hell are you doing?!" I jumped and turned, just in time to see a 100kg tiger lunge at me. I jerked back, narrowly missing a claw to the face. I pushed onto my feet and threw my arm up to cover my throat. She roared and pinned me into the corner, clamping onto my arm. I gave a slight scream slash grunt and pushed my captured arm further into her mouth. She was an inexperienced hunter, it worked. My arm moved back far enough in her mouth to make her feeling like she was choking. I grasped the flap of extra skin between her jowls. I twisted, and she backed down, growling and hissing.
Claudine whistled at the big cat.
"Sasha, her girl, Sasha." She whistled again and the tiger found the piece of meat she was offering more tempting and less resistant than me.
"Grab that and get out here girl." Claudine was the newest of my parents team. She had only been here for less than a year. I gave one good yank, using my adrenaline to my advantage, and the carcass came free. I jogged toward the gate, giving the growling Sasha a mean look.
"Bad girl." I snapped my fingers. She flinched and opened her mouth in a silent hiss. I snapped my fingers again and she lowered her head in submission. I had forgotten my 'sound' in the heat of it.
Claudine yanked me all the way out and pulled at my arm.
"Did she get you?" I nodded and held up my arm where similar scars to the puncture wounds lay.
"They aren't deep. I don't think she was stalking me to hurt me." Claudine gave me a smack on my cheek.
"And it's a damn lucky thing! You should know better than to get in a hungry tiger's cage, and get down that low. You were askin' for an attack. And next time, don't forget your 'sound' They're taught to fear it for a reason!" I rolled my eyes and dragged the carcass to the pit. I shoveled some dirt on top of it to cut the smell and went to pull a frozen one out of the freezer.
The ride to the market was uneventful as I slept most of the way. It was uncomfortable and the truck rocked a lot, but I just dozed with my head on Chris's shoulder and my arm tossed over my eyes. The gust of wind that blew through the flaps on the back were amazing, and I could only hope for more. Out legs were scrunched up, and they ached when I got up. Chris slept soundly the entire time.
The market was about as uneventful as the trip here. It had taken nearly five hours to get here, and we only planned on staying for about two. Oh the irony.
Chris and I collected what was on the list given to us. Grudgingly I helped him. Every other step he was either telling me that I should apologize to my mom, or teasing me about something. The interaction with others though was a great reprieve from the normal isolation. I craved human interaction. Jun-Lee, a girl I had only ever seen at this market since we were both eight, and I talked, confusing the hell out of Chris. He hadn't picked up the dialect for there language and would stumble over basic words. Jun-Lee and I would just laugh and make fun of him. I told her about the dilemma with my parents. She agreed with me, telling me that she was leaving after the summer was over to go live with her brother further south, and take a job there. She raced off after further deliberations, promising to return before I left.
I stood by a woman selling brightly colored woven blankets. Who would need these is the heat?
'Aunt Julie might like the teal one though...' I decided to buy it and send it off to her, or something.
"Jancy, here is the runway he will be leaving from. In three days, don't be late. You'll need to give him a deposit, though. One hundred American dollars." I took the slip of grimy paper she handed off to me.I nodded and gave her a hug.
"Thank you." She bowed as did I as Chris came up. She passed me a nervous glance and hopeful smile before saying quickly that she was needed back at her mother's stall. She bowed to Chris briefly and didn't wait around for him to return the gesture.
"What did she give you? You two look as thick as thieves." I bent the paper around my fingers and took the blanket I had purchased, using it to cover my hand.
"Nothing, she just gave me a note that one of the boys wrote her." He rolled his eyes.
"Let's go, we're leaving soon." I nodded and rubbed my thumb against the hidden paper. This was my lifeline.
I don't remember being carried into the house, or into bed, but I woke in the early morning in the clothes I had been wearing the day before and my hair untied. I was sprawled out on my bed with my face buried in the pillow. I scrunched my nose up when I realized it was the same pillow Chris had sweat all over. I pushed it off the bed and grabbed for the other pillow.
It was too early to get up anyway.
"Aunt Julie!? Yeah, it's Jan. I just got your letter. It would be so cool! Mom isn't sure, I'm sure if she talked with you she'd let me-" Mom grabbed the phone from my hand and 'shooed' me. I grumbled at her rudeness but left to plop in the living room. Chris was passed out on the couch with his head tilted back and his mouth open. I was tempted to drop a cheese-ball into his mouth, but instead I put a pillow next to him and tried to carefully lay his head down on it.
He would get a kink that way and I knew he would do the same for me. I gave an undignified 'eep' when he took hold of my wrist, although it was let go almost immediately. Looking into his face, I realized his eyes were open.
I blushed and crossed my arms."You did that on purpose!" He opened his mouth to reply but mom cut him off.
"Jance, leave Chris alone, he was up all night long. For once, go and do your chores." I twisted around to gaze at her. She was holding the telephone to her shoulder and had a stern look on her face. I left without complaint. I would be a perfect angel if Aunt Julie could convince mom to let me go.
I trotted outside, praying to anyone who would listen that if I could go I would never ask for another thing. And if that didn't work, I had plan B. The note Jun-Lee had given me was tucked inside my shoe for safe keeping.
Without warning, my head slammed against the ground and I gave a weak cry. Stars burst across my vision and a weight lay on top of me. Warm moist breath spread across my face.
Tiger.
I peeked my eye open, wincing from the sunlight. I got a glimpse of large whiskers and a scarred muzzle.
Myali.
I didn't struggle, I didn't move. My arms were pinned. One wrong move and he'd crush my throat. I whistled quietly, murmuring softly to keep him calm. I don't know if it works that way, but I was going to try everything I could. I tried snapping my fingers, but his fur muffled the sound. I was beginning to have trouble breathing. I searched around, for anybody. The closest I figured anyone was, was Chris and mom.
I was reluctant to call out for help.
As if feeling my fear an panic, Myali licked from me chin to my hair line. Gross!
"Don't panic." I whispered to myself. I didn't need to set off an asthma attack.
'Chris! Where are you when I need you?! Sleeping I bet!' Curse him.
I tried not to panic, but Myali was slowly crushing me!
The screen door opened and someone cursed.
"Jan, you okay?" I would have glared at him if I could have.
"Yeah, just peachy. I'm just layin' under him because I find it relieves stress." I bit out, secretly thankful that Chris was here to help.
"I mean, has he bitten you?" I tried to shake my head, but thought better of it.
"No..., just, just get him off. I can't breathe." I heard his quiet footsteps get closer.
"Okay, just relax, he'll be gone in a few minutes." Why do I do this to myself? This is why I needed to leave.
I had my hands in the sink water, up to my elbows, rinsing and washing the dishes.
"I talked with my sister and I told her that I wasn't comfortable with the idea of you flying all the way out there this summer." Mom kissed my cheek as I just stared off in shock. "Maybe next year."
That settled it. Tomorrow night, I was leaving, whether they liked it or not. She had just made up my mindI stared at the clock as I drained the water. I murmured a 'goodnight' without really meaning it, moving quietly and quickly to my room. I locked the door behind me. I pulled the box from under my bed and counted the money I had saved. Three hundred American dollars, my allowance well saved from an age when my parents thought I needed an allowance. It had been sitting in this box for the better part of four years, just waiting for an opportunity like this.
A knock on my door startled me. I threw the money back in the box and shoved it under my bed.
"Jance? Can I talk to you?" Dad. I jumped into bed and threw the blanket over me. The door was locked!
"Uh, yeah, just a second." I stumbled, trying to quietly unlock the door and launch myself back into bed.
"Come in." Dad walked in and sat next to me, leaning over to kiss my hair.
"Thank you for not dragging this out. You know how your mother is. This will pass, give it time. I'm proud of how you handled it tonight." I nodded, feeling like the complete liar.
"Sure dad. N.B.D." He chuckled.
"If it was no big deal, why the blow up the other night?" I blushed, in anger. I shrugged, trying to play it off as embarrassment.
"I was just so psyched, mom kind of rained on my parade, ya' know? It got outta control." He chuckled and patted my knee.
"Boy, do I know." He kissed my head again, stood and bid me good night. He pulled the light's cord as he passed and pulled my door closed. It was left open a crack, enough for the light of the hall to shine through and land on my eye. I could only stare at it. They say the eyes are the window to the soul, and this light felt like an interrogation. If they had only know what my soul was deciding, that every word I spoke was lies.
The light went out. I hadn't been dissuaded. This was going to happen.
The next day came and went. I played doll for my parents who were making final adjustments to their trip as I made mine. That night, after being out all day with Sasha, I scurried around the house to my bedroom window. I couldn't face my parents tonight. I couldn't be moved tonight! Earlier, I had stared at the clock above the sink, counting out the hours I had until I left. I was leaving in the morning, earlier than any of them woke. I grasped the edge of my window sill and pulled, forcing myself through the opening. My body stopped half way.
I was stuck. This had never happened before. I had always been able to scramble through my window. Apparently not! I yelled at myself. My legs and bottom were hanging out of the window and I was stuck. No way to go back, no way to go forward. Look at the bright side, things couldn't get much worse!
Suddenly my legs were being lifted up and a firm hand on my back-end sent me tumbling feet over head to my bed. I could only look up in shock as Chris's head poked through the window.
"Next time, I won't be so nice." He said with a frown. I flushed despite the fact that he may not have meant what he said in a sexual way. Still I muttered 'pervert' and slammed my window closed.