Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tales of Intempia ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: These characters and settings belong to me - please don't steal them!
 
Chapter Three

The sun was rising. Glancing over her shoulder to check he was still asleep, she stole out of the door and into the dawn. The morning air was cool and slightly damp with mist. Idle footsteps carried her along the path until she found herself by the horses. Her horse, when she'd begun thinking of him as that she couldn't remember, whickered at her, before jogging over to greet her. She smiled, feeling the silk of his nose on her cheek, and his warm breath that was such a contrast to the cool air. Patting his neck, she marvelled at the colour of his coat. In the sunlight he was almost silver, but in this half-light he reminded her ice.
“But you're not that cold, are you?”
He merely watched her with those dark eyes, which were so full of intelligence and understanding.
“Almost as if you were actually a person and could understand everything I was saying.”
He snorted, and tossed his head.
“Yes, it's a silly thought, I know.”
“Alsentia?”
“Oh dear…” she breathed. Turning slowly, she came face to face with her father. “Good morning father.”
“What are you doing out here?”
“I couldn't sleep…”
“So you decided to wander round the village in the dark?”
“It's not really dark…”
“You decided to wander round the village in the dark?”
She bit back her sigh, and replied,
“Yes sir.”
“What have I told you about doing such stupid things?”
“That there could be werewolves and or vampires lurking nearby who'd do anything to take a shot at me…”
“Precisely. And you still insist on wandering round at night? Back to the cottage. Now.”
“Yes sir.” She mumbled, hurrying away.

He waited until they were out of sight before moving into the open and taking her vacated spot beside the horse. His gold hair glittered in the half-light.
“He's such a bastard.”
The horse snorted and flicked his tail as if to say `you're telling me?'. The blonde chuckled softly and rested a hand on the horse's shoulder.
“Soon. Very soon now. It's nearly ready.”
Glancing around him once more, he turned in a flurry of gold strands and vanished back into the forest. The horse watched him go, amusement etched into his face. Shaking his head, he returned to the other horses, who were watching him with a mixture of interest and wariness. Soon. His mind whispered. Very soon.

He watched her from his vantage point at the edge of the village. She stood slightly behind her father, struggling to look interested in the subject being discussed. She was failing miserably. The time was drawing closer. He trotted away, examining the fence as he went. Coming to the gate, he examined it closely. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes. They obviously under-estimated the intelligence of the average horse. Not that he was the average horse. More, a slightly above-average horse with a plan. Content, he resumed his study of the filly.

He lifted his head carefully, listening. The faint whisper of voices came from the sentries on the other side of the village. Night animals stirred in the trees. But nothing else. He made his way to the gate, aware that the other horses were watching, and that they knew what was going on. They could sense those that could not be heard or seen. The latch was easy to undo. The wooden barrier was set loose, and he stepped out into the village.

The sound of quiet hooves startled her. Spinning round, she came face to face with her horse.
“What are you doing out?” She whispered, looking round to make sure no one was about. The village was deserted. He just looked at her thoughtfully, his tail swishing.
“We should get you back.” She breathed. “Come on.”
Obligingly, he followed her back towards the pen. She found the open gate. Glancing inside, she found the other horses huddled at the far end. Alsentia frowned at them.
“I wonder what's got into them…” She turned as she heard him whicker behind her. He pawed at the ground, digging out a chunk of grass. “What is it?”
She blinked, surprised, as he lowered himself to his knees, looking to her expectantly.
“Go for a ride? Father will kill me!”
He waited.
“I…I can't.” She looked away, but her eyes soon found their way back.
He was still waiting. She edged closer, her hand resting on his back. She was torn. He waited patiently, and in the moonlight she could almost mistake him for an ice sculpture. His gentle whicker dragged her from her thoughts. He was watching her closely. Alsentia breathed in deeply, held it, then let it out through her nose.
“Screw father.” She muttered, swinging her leg over his back.

The cool breeze felt pleasant as he carried her through the trees. She clung tightly to his mane, but her fear of falling was gradually fading. His paces were smooth and gentle. He wouldn't let her fall. He would protect her. The scaly trunks flicked passed, and the wind tugged gently at her hair. It felt good, to be breaking her father's orders, to be riding through the moonlight landscape on an ice horse. The laughter bubbled up inside her throat, and was released into the air. Creatures far and wide heard her. Owls, mice, voles, badgers, foxes, and also less forgiving creatures. Creatures that were growing closer. Alsentia released the horse's mane and threw her arms out to the side, loving the feeling of the night breeze and the moonlight. A sharp sound made her open her eyes. She glanced to the right. A blur of gold and violet, then a weight collided with her and darkness surrounded her.