Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tales of Intempia ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: These characters and settings belong to me - please don't steal them!
 
Chapter Ten

The pitying light of the stars did little to soothe her. As she wandered she could feel the presence of the guard close by. Whether for her protection or to stop her running, she didn't know. And probably didn't care. Her thoughts were as free flowing as the winds, but always came back to the same topic.
“Why did I never run?”
The trees and darkness had no answer for her. The wind just wrapped tenderly around her, whispering soft nothings in her ear. She sighed and tilted her head to gaze at the moon. It was working its way towards fullness.
“Why?” she asked again.
“Because you were curious.”
She span around to face him. Yet again, he seemed to soak up the moonlight, making him seem paler and ethereal.
“Because you've always doubted what your father told you and you were curious to find out about us.”
“And now you're taking that chance away from me.”
Estyrn said nothing, didn't move, blink and seemed to stop breathing.
“I am but ice.”
She could barely hear his voice. Slowly he moved towards her.
“I am cold, unreadable, unmoveable.”
He paused a foot away from her.
“Ice comes and goes. It melts with the spring and freezes with the winter. You, are the daughter of a General. You will inherit his job when he dies, and you will do well. You will please many people. You will defend your country to the utmost of your ability. And you will forget us. These events will be memories and nothing more. A bad dream that you're glad to have survived.” He pressed a finger to her lips, halting her denial. “And you will forget.” Something flickered in those unreadable eyes of his. She could feel the tears pricking the backs of her eyes.
“Estyrn, I…”
“Estyrn!” The soldier burst through the bushes to their right. Estyrn's attention snapped to him.
“Your brother is calling for you.”
Alsentia felt Estyrn seize her hand, and tow her through the trees back towards the camp.
“What's the matter?” She ducked a tree branch that narrowly missed her head and was almost hit by one snapping back as Estyrn pushed by it.
“The hell if I know.”

“A scouting party.” Masye's voice seemed calm, but there was an underlying tone there, which hinted at something else. “A few of them escaped and made off. The main party will be most likely be hear by sunrise.”
Estyrn hissed, jaw clenched, hands balled into fists. Alsentia hovered nearby, unsure of what to say or do. Stilling suddenly, Estyrn met his brother's gaze.
“We'll have to take her back tonight, I won't risk them coming for her and attacking us.”
Masye nodded.
“I'll come with you.”
“It's dangerous.”
He grinned.
“Precisely. You think I'll let you have all the fun?”
Estyrn said nothing, stretching before approaching Alsentia.
“You can't take me to them, it's dangerous.”
“You must be returned to them.”
Her anger flared then.
“What am I, a possession?”
He sighed,
“That's not what I meant. Alsentia, we must take you back tonight. If we leave it until tomorrow we'll be under attack, and we are in no shape to be fighting at the moment.”
She shook her head furiously. His cool fingers landed on the bare skin of her forearm.
“I will let nothing happen to you. Not while I'm still alive and breathing. I made that promise to you the first time we met in the stable yard in Algora. I keep my promises, Alsentia. I'll protect you.”
She lifted her eyes to meet his.
“It's not me I'm worried about.”

How did it come to this? Estyrn carried her steadily through the woods, his motions rocking and lulling her. The wind rushed by, and the thunder of his hooves sounded on compacted earth. It brought back the memories of that night so many days ago.
The cool breeze felt pleasant as he carried her through the trees. She clung tightly to his mane, but her fear of falling was gradually fading. His paces were smooth and gentle. He wouldn't let her fall. He would protect her. The scaly trunks flicked passed, and the wind tugged gently at her hair. It felt good, to be breaking her father's orders, to be riding through the moonlight landscape on an ice horse. The laughter bubbled up inside her throat, and was released into the air. Creatures far and wide heard her.
Even as they ran, she could feel Masye's presence, feel his eyes on her. Watching. She wanted to lean forwards and wrap her arms around the solid silver neck in front of her, but the binding on her wrists didn't allow her that comfort. She settled for pressing her face into the flowing mane. It smelt distinctly of Estyrn. Wood smoke, earth and other things she couldn't place. It was a pleasant smell. Comforting. She sighed, pushing herself back up into a sitting position. And frowned. The wind was quieter. They had slowed down.
“We're almost there?” she whispered.
Estyrn nodded, glancing to the left. Alsentia followed his gaze, and assumed that Masye was there somewhere. `Just in case', had been his selection of words.
“Are you sure you can act like a real horse?”
He arched his back and shoved his head down, threatening to buck her off.
“I was joking.” She managed to smile at his antics, though she didn't know how. She sank back into silence, as their destination approached.

“Halt!”
The horse squealed and shied away from them, the figure huddled on its back gave a shocked gasp as the horse twisted away and vanished from beneath them. The ground met them with a solid thud. Alsentia mentally cursed Estyrn. The bastard had done that on purpose. She struggled to sit up on her bound hands as the guard approached. She was forced to close her eyes as the flaming torch he now held cast a bright light on her.
“Dear Elders… Alert the General; it's his daughter!”
The second guard vanished.
“It's alright, I've got you.”
She allowed the man to lift her to her feet, and cut the rope around her wrists. Glancing around, she found Estyrn stood nearby, ears flicking, head held high. She offered a hand, and he stepped up to her, eyes resting warily on the guard.
“I don't think your horse likes me.”
“You startled him.”
The man led her towards the camp, and she was comforted by the sounds of the hooves behind them.
“Alsentia!” Her father appeared from the trees before them. She broke from the guard and ran into her father's out-stretched arms.
“Thank goodness you're safe!”
“Father…” she whispered, wrapping her arms around him.
“Come, let's get you into the camp.” He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, steering her through the men who'd congregated around them. Glancing behind, she saw a soldier putting a halter on Estyrn. She fought back the smile at the irritated expression he bore. He saw her watching and tossed his head. Go ahead and laugh. His face seemed to say. I'd love to see you do this.
“Alsentia?”
She looked up and realised her father had been speaking.
“What did they do to you? How did you get away? Would you be able to tell me anything about their plans?”
“Erm…”
She glanced back at Estyrn, and he nodded encouragingly.
“They did nothing to me, besides keeping me tied up so I couldn't run and sometimes gagged so I couldn't scream for help. They never spoke around me, at least nothing that would be of any use. They only spoke of the suspected size of our armies, and past events whilst I was in earshot.” The lies fell easily from her lips, the words she had been told earlier flowing. “The scouting party that came across their camp spooked them, and from the little I could hear they argued for a long time, before they put me on my horse and brought us most of the way here, then they let him loose to run as he would. He must have been able to hear the camp and so brought me here.”
Her father nodded, glancing around.
“They escorted you?”
“Yes.”
He nodded again.
“But they didn't hurt you? Torture you?”
“No.” She replied. “They asked me about the size of the army, and where you intended on striking next. They also asked about defences on the Elders' castle.”
He glanced at her sharply.
“What did you tell them?”
She met his gaze steadily.
“Nothing.”
He smiled.
“That's my girl. You'll make a fine army officer. You'll make us proud.”
She forced a smile, though she felt a dig at her heart. She could feel Estyrn's eyes boring into her back. I told you so. The yell from their left snapped her from her bitter thoughts.