Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tested in Fire ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tested in Fire: New Humanity Part Three

"So what do you want to drink?" Max asked curiously, his thinning black hair slightly glossy in the dim light of the bar.

"Just a beer," Jack sighed, her sandy brown hair falling into her eyes.

Max filled a large glass mug and then pushed it over to her. "So is life this exciting around you all the time?" he asked curiously.

Jack gave him a look, "Don't start on me, Max. It's not my fault that there's so much politics going on around here."

"So what are you going to do now?" Max asked curiously, pulling himself a drink too.

Jack sighed softly, taking a drink of her own beer. "It's been awhile, so refresh my memory. Who's competing for the Mayorship now?"

"You know about Bannon, of course," Max smirked, "he's been holding onto the business core of the city for a few years now, he's pretty dug in."

"And?" Jack said impatiently.

"The west end is pretty badly fragmented right now," Max said, "but the Wolf seems to have the biggest gang out there right now and the smart money's on her taking over the area."

"I haven't met her," Jack admitted, "but the name does sound familiar. Wasn't she from the Davies street enclave?"

"Yep," Max agreed, "she used that as her springboard to build up her forces. Right now she holds from Davies to Denman Street, more or less."

"Then it's only a matter of time before she's in control of the west," Jack said firmly.

"Granville Island is the headquarters of the other contender for Mayor," Max said, "goes by the name Professor. He holds the Island itself and from the bridge out into the suburbs, a lot of territory but he's not very powerful."

"So why is Bannon so worried?" Jack muttered.

"That's the question," Max agreed.

Jack finished off her beer, thumping it on the bar before pushing a coin over to Max. "I guess I'd better go find out," she got up from her stool with a sigh. Jack smiled at him slightly, "I don't think anyone else is going to try anything, but if more goons come just cooperate."

"Gee thanks," Max made a face.

Jack walked out of the bar and past the check in counter, giving the young lady there a nod of her head. She went out the front door, casually checking if anyone was waiting for her then made her way down the street. This had been a bad part of town before the lights went out and now it was oddly deserted. Only a few bums lay in the gutters and a couple of young women standing on street corners dressed to reveal what charms they had.

"Care for a good time, mister?" the younger woman called to Jack as she went by. Dressed in a mini-skirt and clingy top she looked better than most, her long red hair flowing down her back.

Jack turned, her profile revealing the bumps of her breasts and she smiled slightly. "I think you made a mistake," she said.

"Oh," the redhead blushed fiercely, "I'm sorry." She hesitated, looking Jack over more closely before adding softly, "I wouldn't mind...."

Jack just kept smiling as she softly said, "Maybe next time."

Main street cut across Hastings like a knife, marking off one edge of the Shogun's territory. All the old Chinatown and a bit more was firmly under his control, the Chinese residents pulling together in a enclave under the protection of this powerful leader.

A group of Asian punks sat on the steps to the old Carnegie Library, the turn of the century building fallen into disrepair. The domed roof had partially fallen in, the library on the west side gutted by fire but the north side of the building remained mostly intact.

"You got business here?" one of the punks asked, dressed in red jacket and black pants. He played casually with a knife, his two friends armed as well.

"Jack Scott," she smiled, taking in the widened eyes as she continued, "I thought I should pay a call on the Shogun, now that I'm back."

"How do we know you're really...." one of the punks started only to be cut off by the knife wielding boy.

"I'll go get an elder," he said, the tone of his voice much more respectful, "please wait here for a moment while I do so."

"Of course," Jack nodded as he and his friends scurried off. Even though she was a friend of the Shogun she knew that disobeying would probably get her shot by snipers hidden on nearby buildings, hopefully to wound, but accidents were known to happen.

A few moments later Jack heard footsteps, the sound of the three young men returning. "Here she is, ma'am," the leader said, the three leading a older woman around a corner.

"Ba-chan," Jack smiled, recognizing her almost instantly.

The older woman chuckled softly, "I told you not to call me that, Jack-san." She looked up at the boys, "She is who she claims to be, boys."

"Madoka," Jack smiled after the boys apologized and then resumed their guard positions on the steps, "it's been a long time. How are you?"

"I'm still alive," Madoka smiled, her gray hair curling against her neck, the pants and T-shirt that she wore looking oddly out of place on the older woman. She looked up at Jack curiously and said, "The last time we talked you gave up your job as a Negotiator to become a courier and you intended not to return."

"Never say never," Jack smiled back wryly. They moved down Main Street over to Pender, taking a right turn down the street. "I missed the city," she admitted as they passed herbalists, clothing shops and Oriental grocers, "and wanted to come home."

"And found trouble as soon as you arrived," Madoka noted. She looked up at Jack, an impish twinkle in her eyes, "Do you think it's fate?"

"You know I don't believe in fate," Jack made a face. They had walked down a block to what had once been the Multicultural TV station, now occupied as the Shogun's headquarters.

"He's waiting for you inside," Modoka nodded to the front doors where a young man and woman stood there. "You might want to reconsider your view on fate," she quietly added, turning around to walk back up the street.

Jack walked to the doors, her eyes widening as she recognized the man there. 'Wonder how Mike got into trouble?' she thought, being careful not to let on that she knew him. Instead she looked at the woman and said, "Jack Scott, here to see the Shogun."

Jack was ushered inside, Mike tossing her a slight smile as she passed him by. Inside she was met by one of the finely dressed servants who led her to the Shogun's chambers. They rearranged the interior regularly following no pattern to prevent an attack from outside from succeeding. The door was opened and her eyes widened at how decorated the room was, the fabric draping what was once a broadcast studio. A large table sat at one end, the Shogun kneeling down beside it.

People meeting him the first time were often surprised to see that the Shogun was half-westerner, but they soon realized their error. Whatever he might be in body, his soul was Asian to the very core. He had aged since she had last seen him, a bit of gray marking his black hair, but his eyes were as sharp as ever.

Jack knew his real name, of course, they had been comrades long enough for that, but she wouldn't be so disrespectful as to use it. Instead she knelt down and said, "Shogun, I regret I could not call on you sooner."

"Duty," the Shogun nodded gravely, "it binds us all." He gestured and a woman came forward, pouring them each tea. He drank the bitter tea, savoring it, then set the hand crafted clay cup down on the table gently. "It is good to see you, Jack-san."

"It's good to be back," Jack agreed, drinking her own tea. She smiled wryly, "Though it seems I've walked into trouble again."

"You don't change, Jack-san," Shogun agreed with a slight smile. He took another drink of tea, "Bannon-chan seems to be interested in gaining control of the whole city, becoming Mayor in fact as well as name."

"And he was counting on Mission's support," Jack said thoughtfully. "And the other candidates?" she asked.

"They see your arrival as the opportunity to open hostilities," Shogun said simply, "assuming that Bannon does have the support of Mission."

Jack made a face, "I can't reveal what was in the message but I can say what the Mission city council decided publicly." The Shogun looked interested as she continued, "They voted not to interfere here until we settled our own leadership problems."

"Meaning Bannon does not have their support," Shogun smiled slightly. "Shall I have my people spread the word? It may defuse this crisis," he said.

"I'd be most appreciative," Jack smiled back.

To be continued....