Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tested in Fire ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tested in Fire: New Humanity Part four

"So, Jack-san," the Shogun took another drink of his tea, "have you decided what you are going to do now that you've returned to the city?"

Jack looked over at the Shogun thoughtfully, taking in the slight smile on the half-Asian man's face. "Not yet," Jack smiled back, "but I think you may have a suggestion."

The Shogun nodded slightly, his eyes clearly amused. "If you are intending to stay here in Vancouver," he said calmly, "you could take up your old job of Negotiator and Private Investigator." Gravely he added, "The city could use someone of your skills."

"I doubt I could just step back into the role after so many years away," Jack shook her head, sandy brown hair falling into her eyes.

Shogun's voice was mildly scolding as he continued, "You forget the respect that you are held in by the community." His eyes twinkled slightly and he added, "Not to mention the fear you inspire in certain leaders of the city."

Jack made a face but said, "I'll consider it, most seriously."

"Thank you," Shogun nodded gravely, accepting that was the best that the older man was probably going to get.

They talked for a while, finishing off their cups of tea, then by mutual agreement it was time to go. Shogun walked Jack to the door, a gesture of respect, and Jack's eyes widened slightly at seeing who waited for her there.

Heather, also known as Jade Flower, smiled at the two of them warmly, her silken dress hugging her generously proportioned body. Long black hair shimmered as she bowed to Shogun, "With your permission I'll lead her outside, sir."

"Of course," Shogun fought back a amused smile, smoothly turning to walk back into his opulent reception room.

"So how did you manage to get this job?" Jack murmured to her friend as they walked through what had once been the Multicultural TV station.

"Had to beat out two other women for it," Heather flashed her a impish smile. She looked up at Jack curiously, "Have you accepted Shogun's offer?"

"Not yet," Jack firmly shook her head before adding a bit crossly, "and how did you find out about that, anyway?"

Heather stopped her, the two standing in a secluded corner. "Shogun knows we're friends," she said seriously, "he asked me about it beforehand." She sighed, "You know, most people would take his suggestions as law."

"I'm not most people," Jack answered simply.

"True," Heather agreed, looking up at her with a smile. She hesitated before asking, "Are you staying up at the Victoria?"

"For now anyway, why?" Jack nodded, wondering where Heather was going with this.

"Dummy," Heather rolled her eyes. She took a deep breath, "I was wondering if you'd like some company later?"

"Not until the news about Mission gets around," Jack said, blushing slightly, "being nearby me is not the healthiest place to be right now."

"All right," Heather said with a soft sigh. They walked on through the large building, finally separating at the outer doors. "Try to be careful, please?" Heather asked.

"I'm always careful," Jack answered, Heather snorting with amusement. Jack decided to ignore that as she waved, "I'll see you later."

Pender Street was busy as usual, store fronts open so that people could sell their wares. Strange scents lingered in the air, fish, fowl and other things. People weren't so choosy about what they ate these days so cat, dog and others were being offered up, too.

People kept a respectful distance as Jack walked on, a few looking at her in honest curiosity. It was strange enough that a Westerner would be here in Chinatown, much less one seeing the Shogun himself. Whispered conversations would start up then stop as she passed by, clearly Jack was the major topic of conversation.

'That was interesting,' Jack mused as she turned onto Main street and walked up towards Hastings. 'Wonder what the Shogun is planning that he needs me around?' she thought.

"Ma'am?" one of the young men standing guard at the Library spoke up.

"Yes?" Jack looked over, quickly recognizing the boy who had tried to threaten her with a knife earlier. 'He isn't going to try and call me out?' she thought, quite unconsciously moving into a fighting stance.

The red haired boy tugged on his red jacket nervously before saying, "My name is Ryo and I wanted to apologize for any disrespect that we may have shown." He bowed to her slightly, "If you ever need help, just ask." Behind him his two buddies nodded gravely.

"No insult was taken," Jack chose her words carefully, "and I appreciate the offer." She gave them a smile, "I will remember this."

"Thank you," Ryo smiled.

Jack crossed the street then headed east towards the Victoria. 'Do I really have that kind of rep?' she mused, 'That kid was scared of me.' She walked up the street, stepping over the occasional sleeping drunk while keeping an eye out for anyone handing out in front of the hotel. Satisfied the coast was clear she headed inside.

"Hi," the girl beamed from behind the counter. Max's daughter Lisa was cleaning her fur as she came in, smoothing it down on her arm with a raspy tongue. "Dad's in the back," she added, "some more company for you, I think."

"Great," Jack sighed, heading right for the bar. She entered the dim room and looked around, instantly spotting three young women spaced around the room, another lady sitting at the bar. 'Damn,' she thought glumly, 'muscle for sure.'

The redhead at the bar turned, her smile oddly cold on her beautiful face. "Hello Jack," she said, "it's been a long time."

"I thought I recognized the name Wolf," Jack said as she walked up to the bar, "it's been a long time, Kathy."

"I don't use that name much anymore," Wolf said calmly.

Jack noted that the leader of much of the west end of Vancouver had a shot of whisky waiting in front her, an oddly butch drink for such a feminine beauty. Still, there was steel lurking beneath that beauty, something Jack was very much aware of.

"I was so disappointed when you left the Davies Street enclave," Wolf added, looking over at Jack with a false sort of casualness.

"I've found that having someone try to kill you tends to convince a person to move on," Jack said to her calmly.

"So what can I get you?" Max asked, the man looking visibly pale.

Jack felt a flash of pity for him, one that she quickly hid. "Just a beer, please," she answered. Jack turned back towards Wolf, studying the older woman thoughtfully before asking her, "So what can I do for you?"

"You were never able to find out who took the shot at you?" Wolf asked, her green eyes narrowing slightly.

"Oh I know who did it," Jack said to her simply, taking a pull on her drink before saying "proving it is another matter."

"If you know," Wolf frowned, "why didn't you do anything about it?"

"You can probably guess," Jack shrugged.

Wolf looked at her and it was clear the redhead's thoughts were racing. "Rose," she finally murmured, "my partner?!"

Jack nodded slightly. "She had motive, the method and opportunity," she said. "Rose knew I was a threat to you, she was head of the guards so getting a gun was easy and she disappeared right before the shot was fired."

Wolf drank the rest of her whiskey down in one pull. "And that's why you never came back," she said, "because the leader's lover was the one who tried to kill you?"

"I also knew you probably wouldn't believe me," Jack looked at her thoughtfully, "which is why I'm surprised at how well you're taking this."

Wolf puffed out a sigh. "I've had my suspicions," she finally admitted, "but not until long after you were gone."

"And you can't do anything about it," Jack looked into the golden brew thoughtfully, "because Rose has too strong of a powerbase now. If you go after her you risk losing everything you've worked so hard to gain."

"When did you become so damn cynical?" Wolf asked mildly.

"Lots of practice," Jack answered calmly.

Wolf got up, standing casually by the bar. "Come down to Denman Street sometime," she smiled slightly, "I promise no one will be shooting at you."

Jack watched her walk away before thoughtfully murmuring, "Maybe I will." With that she finished her beer and called out to Max, "All's clear."

"Thanks," Max stood up from where he had been hiding behind the bar and wiped a glass, putting it down with a soft tap. "Bannon's going to have a cow," he sounded amused, "first you see Shogun then Wolf calls on you."

Jack loudly thumped her head down on the bar and groaned softly. "I never even thought of that," she admitted.

To be continued....