Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tested in Fire ❯ Chapter 18

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tested in Fire

Later, they stood about Jack Scott’s rather battered office, glass scattered about the floor and objects knocked around wildly. “Rose really needs to learn some restraint,” Jack noted as the sandy haired blonde stood the old lamp back up.

“I think she was annoyed,” Davidson noted, the older man brushing off a chair as he sat down in front of her desk. His glasses gleamed as the older man leaned his cane up against the side of his chair, “Motoko, are you all right?”

The redheaded Asian woman smiled slightly as she tiredly sat on the couch nearby, “I’m fine, father. It’s just been a long few days.”

“For all of us,” Davidson sighed.

“Agreed,” Jack agreed as she sat behind her desk. She opened a concealed safe in the floor as she said, “I’ll return the remainder of the retainer, then we’ll be done.”

“No,” Davidson shook his head, “consider it a bonus.” He reached into his pocket then dropped another pouch of money on her desk, “This as well.”

“But...” Jack frowned at him.

“Ms. Scott,” Motoko said firmly, “you risked your life for me more than once the past few days. You’ve more than earned it.”

“She’s right,” Davidson nodded. “Besides, you’ll need to repair your office too. Please accept this token of our gratitude?”

Jack smiled wryly, “All right, I’ll keep it.” Locking up the safe again she looked at him seriously, “You think Rose is done, then?”

“This gambit, anyway,” Davidson shrugged. “She knows now that I won’t be blackmailed, so she’ll have to try something else.”

“Fair enough.” Jack nodded.

“Do you need any assistance dealing with...” Davidson gestured around them at the wreckage of her office.

A wry smile, “No, I’ll be fine sir. I’m pretty sure Mike will send up a crew, and I’ll replace the glass out of my bonus.”

“Fair enough.” Davidson said as he pushed himself up to his feet, grabbing at his cane for support. “I’d best go report this to the Shogun,” he said, “now that the situation has been resolved, he’ll need to know.”

“He should be pretty happy, knowing that you’ve headed off him getting into a very messy war,” Jack noted.

“Indeed,” Davidson smiled wryly.

“May I stay a moment?” Motoko asked respectfully.

“Of course,” Davidson nodded, “I’ll meet you down stairs.”

Jack finished up calling Mike downstairs, then looked at Motoko thoughtfully, “Yes?”

Motoko moved up to stand by Jack’s side, smiling down at the sitting woman as she purred, “Thank you.”

“Just doing my job,” Jack answered with a smile.

Motoko shook her head, “Maybe, but you did it very well.” She reached out to brush Jack’s slightly messy hair back as she asked softly, “Will I see you around the Nightinggale again, Jack?”

“I’ll be around,” Jack nodded. “It’d be nice making a new friend.”

“Friend?” Motoko smiled impishly, tugging at a lock of Jacks hair.

“Watch it,” Jack laughed.

“Well then,” Motoko let her fingers trail down over the side of Jack’s face, “I’ll be looking forward to it.” With that she turned and gracefully strode out of the office.

A few moments later Mike and several young men hurried in, the boys quickly picking up broken glass and damaged stuff. “Couldn’t help but overhear,” Mike admitted after a moment.

“Oh?” Jack gave him a look.

“I don’t gossip,” Mike reassured her, “but I think the lady was hitting on you.”

“I already have one lady,” Jack sighed, “I don’t need more.”

Mike chuckled as his team cleaned industriously, “I kinda doubt she’s planning to give you much choice.”

“Maybe,” Jack shrugged as she got up, slipping her money pouch out of her pocket. “How much to fix the window and door?” she asked.
Mike named a figure and Jack dropped the coins in his hands as she said, “I need to run a few errands, lock up when your boys are done.”

“You got it,” Mike nodded as Jack strode out.

Jack Scott left the Woodwards building, hesitating for a moment as she debated taking her motorcycle. Deciding to set out on foot she strode along the street, the sun shining down as she walked through the crowds with her normal wary manner. A street market had oranges and she bought one, peeling and eating the fruit as she continued on to the old Harbor Centre mall.

“Scott,” one of the Sisterhood’s guards nodded, looking her over cautiously. “Who are you here to see?”

“Milly,” Jack answered calmly, keeping her hands away from her pockets or her gun.

“She’ll be down in a moment,” the slim black haired guard said as she sent another woman to be a runner.

“Thank you,” Jack said respectfully.

A few moments later and the tall blonde strodfe out of the building, a eye-patch over one eye. “Back so soon?” Milly asked.

“Just wanted to donate to your coffers a bit.” Jack said mildly.

“Oh?” Milly asked mildly.

“I have to pay for repairs to my office,” Jack admitted, “but I made enough to pass some on to you.” A grin, “If only to make up for you having to put up with Cole.”

“Where did that cat slink off too?” Milly asked as she took the coins.

“Probably off to report back to Bannon,” Jack said. She paused, “You might want to shift your defenses around, just in case.”

“We already did,” Milly smirked, “if Bannon’s men try to use information from Cole to break in, they’ll regret it.”

“Good,” Jack nodded.

“You sticking around town for awhile?” Milly asked. A sly grin, “We’ve missed you at the poker games.”

“Missed taking me for as much as you can,” Jack scoffed.

“That too.” Milly smirked. “Well?”

“Yeah, I’ll be around,” Jack conceded. “Got tired of being shot at as a courier,”

“So you’ve come back to Vancouver to be shot at as a bodyguard?” Milly looked more than a bit amused.

“It’s a living.” Jack shrugged.

“What are you going to do now?” Milly asked as she lit a battered looking cigar.

“Go see Bannon,” Jack admitted.

“WHAT?” Milly nearly dropped her cigar.

“Rose isn’t giving up.” Jack explained patiently, “she’s going to try something else. And that means Bannon’d better watch his ass.”

“Point,” Milly conceded reluctantly.

“Besides,” Jack actually smirked, “maybe I can sic Bannon on Rose and the Denman street enclave and knock off two birds with one stone.”

Milly looked at Jack with an admiring smile, “You are a very evil woman.”

“I know,” Jack grinned.

“But you still suck at poker.”

“Oh shut up.”

To be continued....