Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Tested in Fire ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tested in Fire

“Oooh, that’s nice,” Cole moaned happily, laying on the office’s couch as firm hands rubbed the black furred catgirl’s body, massaging the sore muscles and making her purr softly from the back of her throat. If she had a tail, it would be languidly swishing back and forth in pure contentment.

Mayor Bannon sat nearby at his desk, a glass of wine in his hand as he listened to her tell the story. “So, the Davies Street enclave were responsible?” the older brown haired man asked her, his eyes narrowed in anger.

“More like Rose was acting on her own,” Cole noted, expression faintly amused. “If the Wolf finds out, she’s in trouble.”

“I almost wish we could just pass the information on to Wolf,” Bannon admitted, “but she’d never trust it coming from us.”

“We could try passing on the information through a third party?” Cole offered with a impish little smile.

“I’ll think about it,” Bannon agreed.

Once the masseuse finished taking care of Cole she bowed to them both as she asked, “Is there anything else I can do, sirs?”

Cole looked at her with a seductive little smile as she purred, “Hang around a while, honey. I’d like to... see you later.”

“Ma’am,” a faint blush colored her cheeks as the redhead left.

Bannon looked surprised as he asked her enviously, “How did you know she wouldn’t just turn you down?”

“The nose knows,” Cole tapped the end of her nose as she said, “as she was massaging me, I could smell she was getting turned on.”

“Wish I could do that,” Bannon shook his head with a wry smile.

Before Cole could comment they heard a soft knocking at the door. “Sir,” one of the guards out in the hall said, “Jack Scott is here, asking to see you.”

Both Bannon and Cole exchanged a glance, Cole raising her eyebrows slightly in surprise. “Send her up,” Bannon said firmly.

“Should I get dressed?” Cole asked as she got up from the couch, casually wrapping a sheet around her.

“No time,” Bannon said, “wing it.”

It took only a few minutes for Jack to be announced by the guard, then she strode in with her usual cocky style. In a pair of jeans and a button up shirt she looked comfortable but capable, especially with the bulge of her pistol visible beneath her jacket.

“Scott,” Bannon nodded a bit stiffly.

“Mr Mayor,” Jack said with a wry smile.

Cole watched Jack stalk across the office and felt a flash of annoyance at how calmly the other woman handled her near nudity. ‘Damn her,’ she thought with amusement, ‘am I that invisible to her?’

Bannon watched Jack sit in one of his chair as he said, “I suppose I should thank you for handling the situation.”

“Thank you,” Jack smiled slightly, “too bad it isn’t exactly handled.”

“Oh?” Cole asked.

“You are aware that Rose was hoping to spark a war between you and the Shogun?” Jack asked. Calmly she noted, “Rose deliberately recruited troops from your region, hoping to tie anything she did back to you.”

“I had assumed that,” Bannon agreed. He smiled grimly, “Was she hoping a war between myself and the Shogun might weaken us both enough for her to win?”

“Or at least enough to take one of you out,” Jack shrugged.

“I can almost admire the pure cunning,” Cole quietly conceded, letting her sheet slip down a bit and hoping Jack might notice. Sadly, Jack seemed focused on discussing business with Bannon, damn it.

“Do you have any suggestions about what to do about the deceptive Rose?” Bannon wondered, studying Jack carefully.

Jack shook her head, “She’s a problem that won’t be going away any time soon.”

“WE could try assassinating her,” Cole offered.

“Not a chance,” Bannon sighed.

Jack nodded agreement, “Davies street might be smaller than most of the other groups trying for power, but they’re very tightly knit. You’d never get a killer close enough.”

“I didn’t think so,” Cole sighed as Jack smoothly got up. “Leaving so soon?” she asked, pouting cutely.

“Got to run a few errands,” Jack said calmly. She nodded to Bannon, “Thanks for seeing me so quickly.”

“Thanks for your help,” Bannon said as he walked her to the door. As she left he smiled grimly, “Watch your back, Rose nurses grudges.”

“Don’t I know it,” Jack waved as she walked off with a guard escorting her.

Cole tugged her sheet back up as she sighed, “I swear, the woman’s nearly a saint.”

“Or she’s just not interested,” Bannon remarked. He gave his lieutenant a curious look, “Why are you chasing her so suddenly?”

Cole gave Bannon a amused look, “She’s hot and I find that air of disinterest she maintains a challenge.” She looked a bit more serious as she added, “Besides, Scott is a unpredictable factor in our plans. We need a handle on her.”

“True enough,” Bannon conceded, though privately he suspected it was really the first reason she had mentioned.

Outside, Jack Scott paused as she turned up the collar of her jacket. There was a chill in the air as she stood on Granville street, a breeze whipping between the ruined office towers. “You want me to call a cab?” Mac asked, the tall bodyguard looking at her curiously.

Jack shook her head with a smile, “I’ll walk. There’s another errand I want to run.”

“Good luck,” Mac nodded, standing by one of the doors to the Bay building, now Mayor Bannon’s headquarters.

The streets, despite a fall chill, were their usual mix of oddness as men and women walked, crawled, slithered and flew their way to their destinations. The changes in humanity since the long winter were both subtle and gross, touching on almost everyone. The only constant was the need to survive, manifested in many forms. Just up the street by London Drugs a older man ran a hotdog cart, while across the way a hooker tried to entice a passerby.

Smiling Jack headed up to Robson street, then turned left as she walked past a few open restaurants and the burned out shell of a art gallery. A few blocks later she made it to the library, nodding respectfully to the guards helping protect one of the last few bastions of knowledge left to the broken city.

“Powers on all floors today,” the guard reported.

“Nice to hear,” Jack said, “Sandy around?”

“Second floor, trying to get the DVDs sorted out,” he answered, the slim young man adjusting the rifle he wore over his shoulder.

“Thanks,” Jack nodded.

Casually Jack walked through the open inner courtyard then up to the library’s main doors, passing by more guards and a impressive set of barricades. The inside of the library was quiet, only the sounds of pages turning and the murmur of soft conversation interrupting the silence. Jack climbed the escalator and looked around, then headed left towards the old audio visual section on that level.

One of the areas that had suffered in the collapse had been data collection that wasn’t paper based. Computers all over the world crashed, film was burned to survive and DVDs were abandoned and broken. Now as restoration began they were trying to recover what was lost, a long and difficult task.

Sandy knelt, shorting through a pile of donations, her red hair contrasting with the black armored skin that covered her from head to toe. She looked up with a smile, the armor around her face moving eerily, “Hey Jack!”

“Hey Sandy,” Jack took a money pouch out of her pocket and tossed it over, “here’s that donation I promised you.”

“You didn’t have to do that,” Sandy grinned, hefting the cash with a surprised smile.

“I said I was going to when I left Vancouver the last time,” Jack shrugged, “I try to keep my promises.”

“Well, thanks,” Sandy said, chuckling softly. As she put them in the pocket of the cover alls she was wearing she asked, “Wanna help me sort these donations?” With that she gestured to a stack of unmarked cases.

“Why not?” Jack asked as she knelt down beside the piles near the metal bookcase they were using to store the DVDs. “What are they?” she asked as she opened one.

“Porn,” Sandy shrugged, “dropped off by a scouting party digging through a wrecked building.”

“And you’re keeping it?” Jack blinked.

“We are a library,” Sandy laughed, “and beggars can’t be choosers.”

To be continued....