Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ The Adventures of the Wonder Trio ❯ The Best Days of Our Lives ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm alone in the office that I share with my two comrades - partners in crime, you could call them. Although, we're the ones who take care of all the bad guys in this old, run down city. So I guess we're the partners in anti-crime, as lame as that sounds.
 
On my desk is a picture of the three of us from back when we were young, just starting out on the job. Those were the days, you know. Naïve and eager to jump into any case, we got ourselves into more trouble than you find at a pancake house on Free Syrup Sunday when all the elderly people are getting out of church with rumbling stomachs.
 
But we enjoyed ourselves, and that was what made the times so great. Just us, our trio… Wolf, Tak, and me, Neko. The invincible team. Or so we thought. I'll never forget the time we had the gall to take on a challenge from the biggest mob name in all of Miner City. He went by the name `Big Daddy Twiggy' back then. These days he isn't much of a threat. We made sure of that. Well… We had help, too, from the leading mobster of today. The girls and I call him Dice. Other people use a more respectful name: Devildice. Some just call him the Devil. But back then, in his rookie days, he was Mr. D.
 
In the beginning, he was our problem…
 
OoOoOoOoOoOoO
 
“Damn it! Where the hell did all my donuts go?” Wolf's angry voice carried out of the kitchen and into the adjacent living room where Tak was sitting on the couch, eyes glued to the television. Digimon was on.
 
“Tak… Tak!” Receiving no answer from the mesmerized girl, Wolf stormed into the living room and stood in front of the offending technology, intending to capture her friend's attention. No luck. Tak just bent her head to the side in an effort to see the screen. When that didn't work, she picked up the remote, without even realizing it, and hurled it across the room at Wolf, who quickly jumped out of the way. The remote hit the wall with a resounding bang, but Tak's eyes didn't move to look away from her show.
 
“You're hopeless!” Wolf threw her arms up in exasperation. She'd almost given up on the search for the missing donuts when she looked down and noticed a thin but clearly visible trail of some white substance on the forest green carpet. Powdered sugar. And it led to…
 
Damn it. She should have known. Neko's room. Determined on retrieving her stolen snacks before the other girl managed to devour them all, if she hadn't already, Wolf strode to her roommate's door and banged it open without preamble. Lo and behold, on the twin sized bed sat one very guilty looking young woman with a very incriminating white powder mustache on her upper lip.
 
“Um… It's not what it looks like?”
 
“Oh really? Tell me then, Neko dear, what is it?”
 
“Uh… You see… I was just… Um… Putting on makeup! Yeah, that's it! And, I… Uh… Sneezed. Yeah. And the powder got everywhere. And I just wiped it off, but I guess I missed a spot! Silly me!”
 
There was a pause, and then, “You… Sneezed?”
 
Neko nodded quickly.
 
“Then what, pray tell, is that?”
 
A rectangular shaped lump under the comforter of the bed contradicted Neko's story. Shit. She'd forgotten about the box. “Um… It's my… CD case?” She tried putting on a big, innocent smile.
 
Wolf wasn't buying it. She grabbed the corner of the blanket and whipped it off the bed, revealing the empty donut box underneath. “You ate all of them?”
 
“Uh… Yes?”
 
Damn it!” Grabbing the box and letting the comforter fall to the floor, Wolf thumped her donut thief friend squarely over the head.
 
“Ow!” Neko winced and rubbed the spot that had been attacked. “Don't you think that was a little uncalled for?”
 
“No, I don't. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go buy more donuts!” With that Wolf turned on her heel and prepared to leave. But just before she reached the door she saw Neko's wallet. She pocketed it. “And I'm using your money to buy them!”
 
“Wait! No, I need that to get more-“
 
But whatever it was that the girl needed, she wasn't going to get it. A loud beeping sound resonated throughout the house. The Mission Signal. Someone was calling for them.
 
“I'll get it!” Tak's voice came from the living room. Apparently Digimon was over. The other two girls raced out to meet her. She was already on the phone with their client.
 
“Uh huh… Yeah. Absolutely! We're your girls; we'll get the job done no problem!”
 
Wolf and Neko stood side by side, waiting excitedly for the call to end so that they could get the details and then go to work.
 
“Wait, can I get your name, please?” Tak asked whoever was on the other end of the line. Whoever she was expecting, it obviously wasn't who answered, because shortly after she dropped the phone and looked at her partners with wide eyes.
 
“Hosnap!” she exclaimed.
 
“What? Who was it?”
 
It took a minute for her to answer, as though she really didn't believe what her ears had heard. “We just got a job from… Big Daddy Twiggy.”
 
OoOoOoOoOoOoO
 
“Just once more, Takmon. Please?”
 
“Fine!” Tak was annoyed. But she explained to her teammates their mission for what seemed like the millionth time anyway. “B. D. Twiggy said there was this new rookie mobster running around causing trouble.”
 
“What's his name?”
 
“Mr. D., or something like that. Anyway, this kid has been using some pretty underhanded tactics to do a lot of dirty business. So we have to take him in.”
 
“And remind me again why we're capturing a criminal for an even bigger criminal?” Neko spoke up.
 
“Because we're new on the job too, and this is the best work we can get,” Wolf told her.
 
“Oh yeah… Damn.”
 
Tak grabbed three weapons off their arsenal wall. They were the newest models of the ModSlap line - the BAMS78's - relatively small guns that resembled water pistols more than real armaments. They packed one hell of a punch though. Wolf took the red one, Neko grabbed the orange one, and Tak kept the purple one for herself. She cocked the weapon and pointed it at the practice target on the wall. With a pull of the trigger, a glowing green ball shot out of the barrel and hit the bull's eye, expanding so that it resembled a handprint that flashed to red and then back to its original color.
 
Tak smirked and brought the gun back over her shoulder. “Let's do this.”
 
OoOoOoOoOoOoO
 
The night was dark. The yellow, flickering light of the street lamps provided little illumination. Three girls crept through the shadows, relying more on their hearing than eyesight. They were scuttling down Arguments Drive. Shouting and banging could be heard from the dingy apartment complexes all around them. Something about this particular road just set people off. They reached a corner and sighed in relief. The main strip. General Mayhem Boulevard. Buildings of all kinds lined the street. Some sported colorful neon signs, others were completely shut down and dark. People were everywhere.
 
They passed the most popular nightclub on the strip: Demented Mind. The place was packed, as usual. Everyone inside was doing something different. It was chaos. A few structures down was the less popular Attic. Mostly couples met there to cuddle and hang out. Ugh.
 
“Which building were we looking for again?” Wolf asked, turning away from the odd window display of a shop called `Muses Unite!' It showed a bunch of multi colored little people, some with odd features like cat ears poking out of their hair.
 
“Uh… I think it was `Random Fights,'” Neko supplied.
 
Wolf groaned. “Great. The arena. Let's go throw ourselves into a place filled with testosterone high males who are all itching to lay into someone's face. That'll just make my night!”
 
“You're forgetting, Wolfie, that these men will probably all be shirtless. And buff,” Tak reminded her.
 
Wolf blinked several times before a big smile spread across her face. “Oh yeah.”
 
Neko laughed and grabbed them both by the arms. “Let's go then!”
 
They followed her without complaint.
 
OoOoOoOoOoOoO
 
The inside of Random Fights reeked of sweat and blood. Battered looking men were sprawled on the floor, or up against the wall, holding ice packs to their numerous injuries and looking completely wiped out. A huge crowd of guys who all seemed much better off than the unfortunate souls by the wall were surrounding the fighting ring, roaring and cheering and making much more noise than seemed necessary. Obviously there was one hell of a match going on.
 
Wolf, Tak, and Neko pushed through a bunch of excited men to see what was going on.
 
“Hogeeze…” Tak muttered, her eyes widening at the sight laid out in front of her. Wolf and Neko were inclined to agree.
 
Currently squaring off in the arena were two very sweaty, very strong men. One of them was positively huge. He was easily seven feet tall, and at least half as wide. His opponent was about a foot shorter than him, and while he wasn't overly muscular, he still looked like he could knock someone flat. In his right hand was a pink scythe, and its identical partner was in his left. The big guy carried no weapon. Not that it looked like he needed one.
 
The man with the scythes raced forward, springing off the ground just before he reached his adversary. Somersaulting through the air, he bellowed, “Scythe Saw!” His weapons spun wildly and his whole form glowed pink. The girls were enthralled.
 
“He's so…” Wolf began.
 
Hawt,” Tak finished for her, eyes glazed over in wonder.
 
“Yeah… That's it.”
 
The object of their shameless ogling was falling fast toward the giant of a man that he was facing. There was no way he could miss, with a target that huge. And he didn't. With a sickening tear, his scythes ripped into the man's flesh and he screamed in pain, sounding like an angry troll.
 
But even two deep gashes on his chest weren't enough to bring him down. He swiped one dinner plate sized hand at the smaller guy, missing by inches.
 
“What a man,” the feminine trio sighed dreamily together. They anxiously awaited Scythe Man's next move. It certainly wasn't all they expected.
 
Blossom Breeze!”
 
A flurry of pink cherry blossoms burst from the scythes and was carried by a fabricated wind to the tall guy, who appeared puzzled by this new tactic. Then he decided to just brush it off and roar, intent on barreling straight into the puny idiot who had hurt him. No luck. When he inhaled, the sweet perfume carried by the petals invaded his mind and senses and shut them down. He swayed on his feet, eyes rolling back in his head and mouth slack, then fell with a deafening thud onto the ground. It was over.
 
Wolf was not pleased. “What?!
 
Tak consented. “What the hell was that?”
 
“Flowers? He used effing flowers?” Neko asked indignantly.
 
One of the men beside them spoke up, having overheard their exchange. “Yeah. That's one of Mr. D's famous moves. Everyone knows that.”
 
Collectively, three brains slowed to a crawl. That was Mr. D.? The one they had just been swooning over? Great.
 
OoOoOoOoOoOoO
 
They cornered Mr. D. in the locker room of the arena. He apparently had just gotten out of the shower, because the only thing he wore was a towel wrapped loosely around his waist. Wolf was tempted to drool. Neko blinked in shock. Tak just stared.
 
“Who're you?” He asked them.
 
“Uh…” Neko responded intelligently.
 
He eyed them warily, glancing down at the weapons holstered to their belts.
 
Wolf cleared her throat and tried not to let her gaze wander to his chest. Or anywhere below it. “We're the number one detective team in Miner City. I'm Wolf.”
 
“I'm Neko…”
 
Silence.
 
Wolf elbowed Tak in the ribs, effectively jarring the girl out of her fantasy. “Oh… And I'm Tak.”
 
“And why are you here?” Mr. D. wanted to know.
 
Neko drew herself up proudly, trying to seem intimidating and failing miserably. “We're here by request of Big Daddy Twiggy. He wants us to take you downtown.”
 
“You sure made a whole hell of a lot of people pissed off,” Wolf said.
 
He laughed, but it held little humor. “And you listened to that guy? He's the one ripping everyone off. And he blames it on me because I'm a threat to him.”
 
“Why should we believe you?” Tak asked.
 
“Why should you believe him?” he countered.
 
Damn. He was good.
 
“So let me get this straight.” Wolf was looking at him with as much menace as she could muster. “You're saying he's the one we should be after, and that you're innocent?”
 
“As innocent as any member of the mob can be, yeah.”
 
After a moment of sizing him up with decisive glares, the girls glanced at each other and nodded. “Fine. You're free to go.”
 
Mr. D. rolled his eyes, as if whether or not they granted him his freedom really mattered.
 
Tak growled in frustration. “Now we're out of a damn job! This was going to be good money too…”
 
“Guess we're back to patrolling the streets, ladies,” Neko sighed.
 
“Now, wait a minute,” the still half naked man next to them said. “If you want something with a big payoff, bring that idiot Twiggy in to the cops. You know what kind of price tag he's got on his head? It isn't anything small.”
 
The girls laughed outright at this. “And you expect us to take down B. D. Twiggy? In what world?”
 
He scowled. “I was going to offer my assistance, but since you're too afraid to take a shot at him-“
 
“We aren't afraid!” Wolf interjected.
 
“What kind of assistance?” Tak asked, staring at his towel as though she could see right through it.
 
Mr. D. looked at her strangely before turning to the other two girls and grinning. “Okay then. If you're up for the challenge, let's go take down the Big Bad Boss.”
 
OoOoOoOoOoOoO
 
They were back on the main strip, now with a new comrade in tow. Much to the females' disappointment, he'd decided to get dressed before they left.
 
“So where can we find Big Daddy Twiggy?” Neko asked.
 
“He'll be where he always is at night. Café Miner,” Mr. D. told them.
 
“Jeez… You mean we gotta go all the way to the MCCWE?” Wolf asked in exasperation, using the shorted version of that street's extraordinarily long name.
 
He nodded. She groaned.
 
The four of them tried blending in as much as possible walking down General Mayhem Boulevard. It wasn't too much of a challenge. The road got so many characters that the only way to seem out of place would be to look completely normal.
 
They passed at least a dozen other streets on the way to their destination. Some of them were quiet and pleasant, others were colorful and loud, and some were entirely too intimidating. Tak and Wolf had to drag Neko away from FanFiction Street before she scampered into one of their stores and made herself at home.
 
The MCCWE wasn't a very long road. It held a few quaint looking stores, including a bookstore called Read the Entries! Another place that Neko had to be wrestled from. At the very end of the street was Café Miner, looking welcoming as ever.
 
“You ready?” Mr. D. asked the girls. They nodded determinedly. They weren't going to mess this job up. No way.
 
They drew their weapons as they neared the café door; the girls had their guns, Mr. D. had his scythes. Through the windowed walls of the building they saw him - Big Daddy Twiggy - sitting on a bar stool in a crisp black suit and looking like he owned the place. Two of his cronies, each no shorter than six and half feet tall, stood on either side of him, scanning the area like a couple of dumb robots.
 
“I'll take the guards. You three get B.D.” Mr. D. instructed.
 
Wolf, Tak, and Neko nodded and tightened their grips on their guns.
 
“Three… Two… One… Now!”
 
Tak sprang forward enthusiastically, wanting to prove herself. She swung her right foot around hard into the glass of the store, making it shatter into thousands of little sparkly pieces.
 
Her companions looked at her like she was crazy. “We could have just used the door, TakTak…”
 
“But kicking the glass is more kickass!” the girl replied happily.
 
Wolf was going to crack a sarcastic response but she forgot all about it when Big Daddy Twiggy's henchmen came soaring through the broken window, hands outstretched and ready to grab Tak.
 
Mr. D. was too quick for them. With two swift downward swipes of his scythes, the men were dispatched, their shiny bald heads rolling on the ground.
 
“Ew…” Neko wrinkled her nose in disgust at the sight. “That's gross.”
 
“We don't have time to be disgusted!” Wolf reminded her. Big Daddy Twiggy was on his feet with his own gun drawn, a black polished handgun whose bullets probably didn't tickle.
 
“You imbeciles will pay for that!” he roared, finger on the trigger.
 
Neko and Wolf stood immobilized, seeing their short lives flashing before their terrified eyes. This is it, they thought. The end.
 
A gun shot rang out and the girls winced, bracing themselves for the split second of pain that would jolt through them before they fell dead on the ground. It never came.
 
Using the confusion that had followed the guards being beheaded, Tak and Mr. D. had snuck around the alley next to the café and into the building via the kitchen door in the back. And the former now stood with her gun drawn and pointed straight at the mob boss. Wolf and Neko watched in shock as Big Daddy Twiggy fell forward with a dazed expression on his features. On his back, obnoxiously bright on the black fabric of his suit, was a big green and red flashing hand print. Mr. D. looked impressed.
 
Tak was pleased. “Dude, you just got owned.”
 
OoOoOoOoOoOoO
 
This is dedicated especially to my dear friend, Wolf in the Night. Happy birthday, sweetie! I hope you have many more good days to come!
 
Special thanks to the following people for letting me use their personas in this:
Takkeh - As Tak (herself)
Devildice - As Mr. D. (somewhat himself)
Alone4ever - As Big Daddy Twiggy (hardly himself)
 
Disclaimer: Uh… I don't own anything? Except for TakTak. I own her. <3
 
~ The Neko Kami of the Fruit Loops