Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ The Cause for War ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 1 It was the night of the double moons, the three factions had been brought together to celebrate the ending of the great war. The young ones of all three factions played well the adults split into their seperate groups, not once mingling amounst themselves. I was no different, I stayed with my own kind. This was the day, many years ago, where the final battle was fought, where countless men and women died, your magic casters vs your raw fighters, I had been a raw recruit during the fight, been young i was not sent into the thickest of fighting, no, the smaller fights was where i was, the fights where the people had no chance, an assasin, i fought where no one dared to go. We lost that battle however, we were superior in all aspects but one...magic, the mages cast spells...spell we fighters cannot deflect. We are looked at like outcasts, like abominations on life, us? the abominations? we do not bend to the will of magic like those pitiful creatures. The only will i bend to is my own, they however, do not understand this simple fact. I looked at my peers, all ex-fighters, each of them having drawn blood, but i the most, the scar along my chest reminded me of the finale battle, the chaos of it all, the massacer, the pure bliss of the fighting...god... ...I miss it. But now I'm an insignificant speck on the wall of time, my purpose gone, the point of my life gone, now I was a student, sent to a school to learn what i was never taught, what I saw as a pointless waste of time. Our chancellors told us to follow these new rules, till the day we found how to deflect magic, to stop the mages from cursing us with fatal wounds and sleeplessness, it took time, we all needed time and the mages knew we would find a way to counter their pathetic magic, all we needed was to get our own, find our own way of using it, as we speak, our researchers have found a way a deflect basic spells, all we need is time.

"You heard? they say that we'll be able to fight soon... ...the restrictions are loosening up they say" I looked at the creature, the being that ment nothing in anyones life, he wished for chaos, like me, but not for the hunt, he wished it for the massacer, I know people say Im sick, that no living person should wish to take anothers life, well we do, i live for the hunt, the maze of finding your prey and killing it. This fighter just liked to kill, the innocent was his favorite."You continue to talk about it so openly, their going to find out" I replied, i bearly looked up at him while saying it,"And? let them find out, we still have our little secret" "At this rate, they'll find out about that too" I looked up at him, my eyes gleaming with the hatred i had for this man.

I was casually listening to the conversation my peers where having when I heard him. A lanky brown haired teenager, around 17, slightly tanned, brown eyes . Asmall, yet noticeable cough is what caught my drifting attention.
"You're Andras... aren't you?" he asked
"What it mean to you??" I turned my face to him, this mage...
"Nothing important. I was just going to ask you something... since no one else seems inclined to tell me, and I know you know of it"
"And whats makes you think I'm going to tell you something that no one else will " I looked down at him, "Theres probabliy a reason for it" Even though I could break his neck like a twig, he didnt back down, just looked at me and replied,
"Because there is no reason not to? After all... you don't know me, so there is no reason to "protect" me from such information."
I nodded, "... Who said I was protecting you? One who bends to the will of another force" I knew the look of my face, the disgust I felt for people like this one, it always showed on my face.
"I never said you were protecting me... I just pointed out the fact that you have no reason to not answer my question" "And I have no reason to answer you"
The younger boy sighed, rolling his eyes, before looking back at me,
"Fine. You have no reason to answer me.... but would you mind satisfying my curiosity about the war even a little?
I tensed slightly, I grew defensive, questions like this always lead to a fight, "Like what?"

What brought it all on, for example?" he paused "What was the cause for this mass-killing war, and what was thought to be gained by it?"I walked forward, grining to myself,
"What caused the war you say?? what was meant to be gained from the war??" I stoped a few centimeters away from this...mage
"The cause, people like you, what was to be gained, the extremination... of people like... you" I looked straight at him, into his brown eyes. Once more I was surprized at the bravery he possed everthough he was merely a magic user,
"Why...?"
"Cause mages dont have the guts to fight on their own without the use of your 'magic' , always using sometype of inhancement spell, they threw people like me into cages like animals just because we couldnt use it..."
"So... just because you can't do magic, and the mages could.... they had to be exterminated?" he paused and continued under his breath "And I thought warriors had honor..."
Before I could stop myself, I grabbed him, and lifted him off the ground effortlessly,
"It was your kind!! that started exterminating first, we have honor, honor given to us by you, in an attempts to kill us, you made us stronger!!" I threw him to the ground, I looked at the newly formed crowed around us and tried to calm myself, the boy stood, dusting himself off,
"See that's the answer I was looking for..." he bowed "Thanks" as he turned to leave he asked one final question, " You call us the ones who bend to the will of another force... but don't you just bend to the will of anger and instinct"
"But the angers mine, the instinct...mine, this magic?? was here before you, it was never yours to play with in the first place..." i had nothing more to say, i returned to my people who had not even turned to watch the conversation, not that it was needed, i had never lost a battle before, and i wasnt planing on starting now.

I woke the next day to a spliting headache and a sharp pain in my stomach. I opened my eyes to see the dark walls of my home, I stood, my wings were even sore. I walked into the bathroom, trying to bring myself back from the sleep i had been in. I looked at myself in the broken mirror, my long black hair tied messaly in a pony, my pale skin looked white than normal, i blinked,
"Think i had too much to drink last night..." I rubbed my sore red-black eyes and looked over my body, my wings were that largest that any fighter had seen, from above my head to little below my knees, grey at the top to a pitch black at the bottom. I walked to the kitchen and opened the fridge only to close it, there...on the door was a note,
"remember to be at the council hall at 10" I looked at the time, 11:45, I sighed, great start to my day.